Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Greetings to Admiral Phes

Greetings Admiral Phes:

I have been landlocked several months now living within the cities and historic realms of the Eurobrick Kingdom. Much has happened within this continent and the outer realms. A new prospector has joined Eurobricks and has started a saloon where the good people of the town talk of gunslinging cowboys and fierce bow-shooting natives. These people compare the Indians to the natives of the islands. This prospector is called, the "Gambler" and brings six shooters and playing cards to the dry barren lands.

The Lords and Knights of the kingdom, with their dust-covered scrolls, have resurrected the tales of Classic Castle and the figs of Yore. The Yellow Castle remains a beacon to me reminding me of the power and the might of a once prosperous kingdom.

Within the populated realms of the City, a new contest has emerged among the architects and designers of our cities. They share their visions of magnificent and prosperous cities with one another to determine who among them has the most glorious of kingdoms.

And among the darker places, a new hero has emerged who wears a golden bat upon his chest and battles the evil that dwells within the city. He intrigues me as well as the villains of this place for they possess mystic powers that they use to thwart one another.

And at last, I have arrived at Port Legend, not far from the pirate infested waters of the Caribbean. It has been an intriguing journey through the waters of many continents sharing stories with people from far-away lands. I see that not much has changed in that your band of marauding pirates have thrived among these islands. I say greetings to you and them, and know that part of me misses the swashbuckling tales that we shared over bottles of rum. Enjoy the spirits.

Your Friend,

Brickster

The Brickster, you are indeed a good writer so don't let that talent go to waste. Feel free to our band of marauding pirates any time you wish as we are happy to have you among us. You have brought much to Eurobricks with Western and Adventurer threads... Oh and the controversy you've stirred - but controversy is good! It keeps our minds active and makes our emotions run wild which is good for building drama which in turn makes good entertainment!

I hope the greater powers of Eurobricks acknowledge your magnificent contributions and reward you justly.

i know this topic is written for Phes (as it says so in the title) but i can't help but think you are refering to me here :wink:

A new prospector has joined Eurobricks and has started a saloon where the good people of the town talk of gunslinging cowboys and fierce bow-shooting natives. These people compare the Indians to the natives of the islands. This prospector is called, the "Gambler" and brings six shooters and playing cards to the dry barren lands.
that is pretty cool, that you mentioned all of this,... FIRST !!!

i hope that is a symbol of my contributions here to EB... and that i am adding something significant to this community. i am having a lot of fun here. im just so glad my job leaves me so much time for my hobby !!! cross my fingers that i can keep this up !!!

as Phes mentioned you are great with words... your contributions make EB so much more enjoyable than they would be without you !!!

NOTE: when you get back into WW we should tag-team on a project. you on words, and me on images. :cool:

but i can't help but ask... what is the true nature of this post ??? in all honesty this should be a PM !!! obviously, it is to start some converstions that other EB members would benefit from (entertainment wise, of course)

- BrickMiner

but i can't help but ask... what is the true nature of this post ??? in all honesty this should be a PM !!! obviously, it is to start some converstions that other EB members would benefit from (entertainment wise, of course)

- BrickMiner

If you have or have not noticed BM, I enjoy stirring up conversation and participation among various Eurobrick members. From time to time, I like to offer a profound thought or two for others to think about and respond to; similar to how you enjoy talking about the WW. I did the same with the Stockade but didn't realize it would create "War of the Worlds" like panic. A simple PM would be great for Phes, but others could not enjoy the creativity or the discussion that it sparks.

In addition, in reading a remark that Phes had made on the Port Legend discussion; something pertaining to me not posting on Pirates, I wanted to let Phes and the Pirate fans know that I'm not far away and participate in Pirates too.

NOTE: when you get back into WW we should tag-team on a project. you on words, and me on images.

Perhaps, I may also do some WW MOCs down the road as well. I just don't have any Lego right now.

A simple PM would be great for Phes, but others could not enjoy the creativity or the discussion that it sparks.

Yes, I'm all for sharing information with everyone rather than keeping it in PM.

In addition, in reading a remark that Phes had made on the Port Legend discussion; something pertaining to me not posting on Pirates, I wanted to let Phes and the Pirate fans know that I'm not far away and participate in Pirates too.

Does this mean we might see a Pirate MOC from you one day young Brickster?

Maybe, unfortunately however, I don't have many Pirate pieces. BACKFLASH - Tale of the Clipper: during the mid/late 80s (I think), when Pirates first came, I had long been out of Lego (Dark Ages as some people call it). I had a friend who bought me the Caribbean Clipper with a couple extra small pirate sets as a gift because she thought they were neat. I absolutely loved it. Prior to this ship, we built our own pirate ships with 2x2 brick masts and you could imagine how awfull these MOCs were. And I had always loved Treasure Island and Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean ride and had wooden ships, chests, maps, and even a pirate ring. I also had the Playmobil pirate ship (first one), and would play with it for hours (it even floated!)

In any case, I wanted to go out and buy all the Pirate sets including the large schooner that I would drool over in the toy store. But I truly was growing out of toys, esp. Lego. I did not buy any pirate sets despite my mixed desire to do so - MISTAKE, MISTAKE, MISTAKE! It was the same with castle.

Years later, now that I'm and adult and mature enough to say, I enjoy sitting down and building Lego, I buy what I want to buy. But I will always regret not buying the wonderful pirate sets that you all share images and reviews of. I still; however, like all things nautical and Port Legend is my small contribution to the Pirate Lego community.

What happened to this friend of your Brickster? She sounds completely awesome, did you happen to marry her at some point?

I know what you mean by "growing out of toys" because the same thing happened to me throughout 1993. I suspect that we didn't really "grow out" of LEGO, rather it what society expected us to do. I remember after I stopped buying and building Pirate LEGO I was still curious to know what the new sets were, though I never actually checked. For a couple of years at least and then I lost interest completely.

In the year 2000 I was at a friend's place (I've written this in past threads) who happened to have every LEGO catalogue from about 1986 to 1999 (minus 1997). I remember looking through the 1994 to 1998 catalogues to see what had been happening in the Pirate theme. I remember looking through the 1998 catalogue and not being able to find the pirate pages. I looked through it 3 times wondering how I could have missed the Pirate pages, then the truth dawned upon me - Pirates were no more! My heart sunk to the bottom of the Pirate LEGO ocean that day despite my repressed interest...

To tell you the truth, I don't know what became of her. We really were just friends though.

I did the same with Classic Castle for a number of years as well as City. In the back of my mind, I was always planning to buy a large "newer" castle (the Yellow Castle was my only one). Then one day, I discovered that Lego quit making castles. I think I shared the same feelings. Then one day, I discovered WW by buying the small Weapons Wagon. It got me started all over again.

It truly is amazing how we return to what we enjoyed as children. I have a Lego Train story too. I posted to some thread; don't remember which. I won't bother repeating. But what I really enjoy now is sharing MOCs and stories with others. It's fun and even when I'm not building, I'm able to discuss these classic sets.

And BTW, I'm amazed at what you've done with the Stockade/Pirate forum Phez. There is so much here for the pirate fans. Nice job!

I'm glad that you're pleased Brickster! But this is only the beginning for there is more work to be done yet. I'm trying to create the best possible discussion environment for those who are interested in Pirate LEGO and any other kind of LEGO for that matter. And I shall admit I am a complete novice as I've never attempted something like this before so its quitre reassuring that someone is pleased with my work!

But I'm always open to suggestions because other people do have quite good ideas at times.

You guys are creating something that has not really been done before and it will probably be the largest Lego Pirate discussion board on the web (if not already). I'm always impressed to see creators/innovators bring their ideas to fruition. Great job!

There was PirateBricks.com which was soley dedication to Pirate LEGO - until Vikings came along that is and then they also expanded to include them. So an online Pirate LEGO forum has been attempted in the past but unfortunately it didn't survive. Fortunately with Eurobricks even if the Pirate forum doesn't take off it doesn't matter so much because it has the support of a greater community. But so far this forum is going better than expected and I haven't even got stuck into the advertising campaign yet!

Oh I remember Piratebricks for I used to lurk there quite frequently. I never posted however as at that point of my life I was not up to writing such comments on messageboards, but now I am feeling quite confident of doing so. So what happened to Piratebricks?

If you have or have not noticed BM, I enjoy stirring up conversation and participation among various Eurobrick members. From time to time, I like to offer a profound thought or two for others to think about and respond to; similar to how you enjoy talking about the WW. I did the same with the Stockade but didn't realize it would create "War of the Worlds" like panic.
ya, i didn't notice at first... and i know i took your "stockade" thread way too seriously. my mistake. i was just trying to offer advice, and see your point. :-D
It truly is amazing how we return to what we enjoyed as children. I have a Lego Train story too. I posted to some thread; don't remember which. I won't bother repeating. But what I really enjoy now is sharing MOCs and stories with others. It's fun and even when I'm not building, I'm able to discuss these classic sets.
my story involves dreams about LEGOs that just wouldn't stop without satisfing them. i posted it in my "about me thead" (link in my signature). and i agree, it is really amazing how we return to what we enjoyed as children. and i think it is even more important, that AFOL have the courage to do it. not all people do, i think its sad.

-BrickMiner

You guys are creating something that has not really been done before and it will probably be the largest Lego Pirate discussion board on the web (if not already). I'm always impressed to see creators/innovators bring their ideas to fruition. Great job!

PirateBricks.com was the largest and only Lego Pirate discussion board on the web and now its gone and probably never coming back. So I must give much thanks that we now have this part of Eurobricks to post our Pirate lego interests because I haven't seen another disccussion board upon which there is much active discussion of this kind.

I am glad you're all pleased with what's been happening here lately. Its been a bit of work. Designing skins, graphics and getting everything set up takes time. Even though every feature of this new Pirate forum isn't complete there should be plenty to do and discover. So make the most of this cyber space we've created for you and in return will be able to offer even more in the future!

I just stumbled upon your response Captain Ironhook re-reading this thread. Thanks for the compliment. I don't consider myself a good writer, as I've seen so many better. Once in a "blue moon"; however, a thought will pass through my mind and the words just start to flow (like this message and others). I sometimes enjoy writing, esp. fiction, and the more intriguing or humorous, the more I enjoy it.

Sorry that this is really random, but I just had to point this out somewere. So, to get to my point-

LOOK! Phes has a bigish close-up picture of himself featured on the official LEGO website, right here!

I wonder why someone from LEGO used this head in that banner, it's only in 5 sets; 4 city sets 3 of which are really tiny and one racers set, all of which have been out of production for 4 and 6 years.

The other two LEGO items on this banner are both from official LEGO sets, so I have no idea why they are on the "My Creations" Banner. *wacko*

So it does! Hmmmmm... Interesting... Someone from The LEGO Company must have visited Eurobricks and saw my signature then realised my brilliance, so to honour me they've put that head on their website. Well that's my theory anyway...