Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
2729 replies to this topic  – Started by Oswald the Rabbit , Jul 23 2010 05:18 AM

#2326 punkkid364

punkkid364

Member: 15358

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

View PostVindice, on 01 November 2011 - 03:31 PM, said:

I was under the impression that Indy didnt sell well at all.

Apparently POTC exceeded it's target but that doesn't mean it was a huge success, the question for TLG is, can they now produce more sets that will have as much or more appeal as the first.

They could release The Dutchman, but that would no doubt be an expensive set with lots of new minifig moulds. They've already produced Davey Jones so I would think they werent expecting on releasing the Dutchman.

you don't see enough of Tortuga to warrant it's own set and they've sort of already released Port Royal.

I think this theme is dead now. I can't see what else they can do with it.

There's still plenty of life left in this theme, and it's been my favorite theme in a long while.  What I think would be prudent is smaller waves with more complicated/bigger sets.  The Interceptor from P1 or the Providence from P4 would both be good mid-sized ships for TLG to produce, as well as the Hai Peng (P3 junk) or the Edinburgh Trader (P2 merchant ship); Will Turner's blacksmith shop is a set we should have.  I'd like to see a playset based on Singapore too.  The Dauntless or the Endeavour or the Dutchman would all be a fantastic choice for a big ship.  ANYTHING from Shipwreck Cove would be totally awesome.  We NEED a Keith Richards fig.  There are tons of ships and characters and locations that TLG hasn't done yet, so I definitely want to see more.

EDIT: I thought of one more great scene that could be done in LEGO form: the interior of Ponce de Leon's ship, the Santiago, from P4.  I'd love to see TLG tackle the shifting weight in there!

EDIT 2: Tia Dalma's shack.

Edited by punkkid364, 03 November 2011 - 04:19 AM.

#2327 kevblee

kevblee

Member: 6430

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:22 AM

I felt like there was life left in the Indy line as well...but that did not pan out to well. I have a feeling unless we get a POTC 5, we are not likely to see any more sets in the near future.  Wondering what the next big Disney release will be to see
a lego product line?
Brickstruct.com

#2328 Vindice

Vindice

Member: 13399

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

i agree there is more stuff that can be done but would it appeal to kids? The ships yes although possibly a bit too high on the price point.

Keith Richards would be cool to you and me but the average 7-12 year old probably sees him as a drunken tramp and not a particularly cool one.   :pir-cry_sad:
"Bolted doors and windows barred, guard dogs prowling in the yard, won't protect you in your bed, nothing will, from PUMPKINHEAD"

#2329 Lyichir

Lyichir

Member: 14738

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

View PostVindice, on 02 November 2011 - 11:32 AM, said:

i agree there is more stuff that can be done but would it appeal to kids? The ships yes although possibly a bit too high on the price point.

Keith Richards would be cool to you and me but the average 7-12 year old probably sees him as a drunken tramp and not a particularly cool one.   :pir-cry_sad:
Kids would probably look at him as his character in the PotC movies, who is a total badass. AFOLs would be the ones who saw him as Keith Richards. So I don't think it'd be too hard to get kids to buy a set with Captain Teague in it.

And I can picture kids buying sets based on other scenes, like Will's blacksmith shop. That scene just screams action features.

#2330 Jack Bricker

Jack Bricker

Member: 8047

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

I think that there is a lot of life left in the theme for Lego to make that would be both appealing for AFOLs and kids alike.  First of all a Tortuga scene with gipps, fighting pirates, and taverns would be great for the AFOLs.  Second you could have a kraken set, a maroon set with jack and his rum cache, an undead pirates battle pack, the flying dutchman, the interceptor, a few chinese pirate sets, and a pirate lords meeting set.  I think those and perhapes some bigger sets based on what has already been done would sell quite well.  Also, I think that it is quite possible that the POTC sets already released would have sold even better if they had been completely finished.  I mean the stern on the Black Pearl is pathetic and the fact that Lego did not release some of the main characters like pentel and regetti was a real shame but, perhapes if Lego does better with a second wave, POTC will sell a lot better. :pir-classic:  

I also think the reason that the Indiana Jones sets did not sell so well was because the 4th movie was not all that great and because the second wave was kind of lame with no real tomb sets. :pir-sceptic:

#2331 Walter

Walter
  • Back, but still drowning!

Member: 16053

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

On the bright side, I think POTC4 was much more successful than Indy 4.  :pir-sweet:

Edited by Walt, 02 November 2011 - 02:48 PM.

Posted Image

#2332 Jack Bricker

Jack Bricker

Member: 8047

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:22 AM

View PostWalt, on 02 November 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

On the bright side, I think POTC4 was much more successful than Indy 4.  :pir-sweet:

Oh yeah it was.  I mean comparing the mermaids and the QAR to aliens in a Indiana Jones movie.  Yeah I think that there still is some life left in POTC and I think that if Lego did come out with some better designed sets I there would still be a pretty good market for them too.

#2333 SkaForHire

SkaForHire
  • Historica's Fortune Teller

Member: 759

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:08 AM

View PostJack Bricker, on 10 November 2011 - 01:22 AM, said:

Oh yeah it was.  I mean comparing the mermaids and the QAR to aliens in a Indiana Jones movie.  Yeah I think that there still is some life left in POTC and I think that if Lego did come out with some better designed sets I there would still be a pretty good market for them too.

I don't think Indy 4 was all that bad, if you can erase a few of the scenes from your mind it is a good homage to die hard indy fans. Although they really should have just made it the end of WWII and detail his duties as an intelligence agent that they hinted to in IJ4. I did like a lot of the sets, but I didn't buy any because they didn't fit into my lego budget. I was really tempted to pick up a few when they started to clearance during the last wave but I didn't. When they first came out I was still collecting Exo-force (god only knows why) and Castle, didn't really have enough for a third theme. Then I went to grad school and never had money again lol. Still, getting back to the point, I think the Indy sets were well designed for the most part, just too expensive.  I also agree that the theme had more legs under it, and we could have seen some more sets. Fast forward to today, the POTC theme is poorly designed in parts and extremely expensive. the QAR should not be more than 99 dollars. No lego set geared towards kids should be over 99 bucks. To think of the days when only the Metroliner topped 100 American, I miss the pricing back then! Out of curiosity, did the SES debut at the $99 price point? I feel like it was $89. Which is another problem with PoTC, the original pirate sets for the most part had more play features and were much cheaper. Even the last wave of pirates was much cheaper.  

I want some pirates of the Caribbean, I just can't justify buying any of them without a sale. The minifigs are great, and some parts of the sets are really attractive. I do hope they continue with the line, at least for a few British ships. Does anyone know what the sales figures were like?
D.L.T.B.G.Y.D.  Flickr Feed

Dugal MacLean of the Kaliphlin Guild ~ "GEAR Up with GEAR CO supplies."

Posted Image                                                       Posted Image                                             Posted Image
Triumphal Arch of Petraea    ...    |    ....          Devil's Island   ......        |    ........       Rakath Mountain Ritual

#2334 TalonCard

TalonCard
  • Pirate Journalist

Member: 883

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:12 AM

View PostSkaForHire, on 12 November 2011 - 03:08 AM, said:

I don't think Indy 4 was all that bad, if you can erase a few of the scenes from your mind it is a good homage to die hard indy fans. Although they really should have just made it the end of WWII and detail his duties as an intelligence agent that they hinted to in IJ4. I did like a lot of the sets, but I didn't buy any because they didn't fit into my lego budget. I was really tempted to pick up a few when they started to clearance during the last wave but I didn't.

I loved Indy 4!  Their hands were kind of tied with Harrison Ford's age and all; it would have been hard to sell him as being in his 40's.  I'm still kicking myself for missing out on the Indy sets...I'm determined not to miss out on the POTC sets the same way...

TC

#2335 joeygunns

joeygunns

Member: 11049

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:47 AM

umm whats all this talk about indy? can we please get back on topic?

at my local k-mart there are still alot of sets around, i think its because the sets were so expensive here.

#2336 Piranha

Piranha
  • Tag! You're it

Member: 1506

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:55 AM

is this theme getting discontinued? I see the sets on clearance quite often at stores.

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image

#2337 Tauntaunwampa

Tauntaunwampa

Member: 21346

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:08 AM

Looks like it, we usually get some images or even a list by this time.

Hopefully this theme may only release sets once a year. I know there are four movies and two more on the way but unlike Star Wars there isn't much potential for LEGO to be bringing out sets every half year

#2338 Big Cam

Big Cam
  • A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

View PostMacoco, on 25 November 2011 - 01:55 AM, said:

is this theme getting discontinued? I see the sets on clearance quite often at stores.
Really? What stores, I've love to stock up on these.  I see them fully stocked in Wal Mart and Target, all at full price, plus the Black Pearl barely came out.

#2339 punkkid364

punkkid364

Member: 15358

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

View PostTauntaunwampa, on 25 November 2011 - 09:08 AM, said:

Looks like it, we usually get some images or even a list by this time.

Hopefully this theme may only release sets once a year. I know there are four movies and two more on the way but unlike Star Wars there isn't much potential for LEGO to be bringing out sets every half year

The thing is that Star Wars is a franchise designed to sell toys, and to have releases like that.  That's the whole reason why it exists.  Pirates as a franchise is completely different;  Disney has their hands in a lot of different franchises, all of which have their own licensing.  Disney doesn't NEED to bring in the money every six months to keep their merchandising business going the way that Lucasfilm does.  Lucasfilm lives on merchandising, and specifically Star Wars merchandising.  That's their major revenue.  Pirates, as successful as it has been, is not the make or break franchise for Disney.

If we see more releases (I personally hope we do) it will be in the spring, just like it was this year.

#2340 LegoIndy

LegoIndy

Member: 15911

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

Ahoy mateys! We're welcome! :) I have received a Lego email right now telling me that the Pirates of the Caribbean line will have another wave in 2012! Here is the email's extract: (sorry, it's Spanish)

Estimado Miguel,

Muchas gracias por ponerse en contacto con LEGO® Direct y por su interes en nuestros productos.

Deseo informarle que la serie Piratas del Caribe sigue produciendose, hemos lanzado un nuevo barco en Noviembre que se llama La Perla Negra y seguimos produciendo otros barcos y juegos relacionados con Jack Sparrow y sus compañeros...

Now in English:

Dear Miguel

Thanks to get in touch with LEGO® Direct and for your interest in our products.

I wish to inform you about the Pirates of the Caribbean line , that it's currently taking place, and we've launched a new ship in November called "Black Pearl" and now we're producing other ships and play sets related to Jack Sparrow and his friends...

Sorry for my really bad English, but I think it's a good new! :)

Edited by LegoIndy, 08 December 2011 - 04:10 PM.

#2341 halfpenguinhalflego

halfpenguinhalflego

Member: 6437

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:10 PM

View PostLegoIndy, on 08 December 2011 - 04:09 PM, said:

Ahoy mateys! We're welcome! :) I have received a Lego email right now telling me that the Pirates of the Caribbean line will have another wave in 2012! Here is the email's extract: (sorry, it's Spanish)

Now in English:

Sorry for my really bad English, but I think it's a good new! :)

Now that is interesting. There is so many sets that LEGO did not make that would be good for a second line. Hopefully now we'll see a UCS Black pearl or flying Dutchman.
My FlickrPosted Image Posted Image  Posted Image

#2342 Bricksan

Bricksan
  • Bib 6126 eats miles

Member: 19010

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:36 PM

If this is true it is fab news
LEGO Ambassador for UK fans connected to Brick Fanatics

Brick Fanatics - A UK Based LEGO site, daily news from the world of LEGO. Plus we review sets and feature MOC's and much more.

#2343 lightningtiger

lightningtiger
  • Gungans taste like chicken

Member: 7997

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:56 PM

Perhaps the deal with POTC was the same as Cars2....two big waves instead of one.....we know which has been more popular - pirates always outsell racing cars. :pir_laugh2:
But how is Lego going to support two live action themes from Disney ? :pir-blush:
We shall see if this is true or not next year ? :pir-wink:

#2344 Lyichir

Lyichir

Member: 14738

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:12 PM

View Postlightningtiger, on 08 December 2011 - 09:56 PM, said:

Perhaps the deal with POTC was the same as Cars2....two big waves instead of one.....we know which has been more popular - pirates always outsell racing cars. :pir_laugh2:
But how is Lego going to support two live action themes from Disney ? :pir-blush:
We shall see if this is true or not next year ? :pir-wink:
Not true. If you look at other merchandise in toy stores, racecar toys are almost always there. Pirate toys? Not so much. In fact, Disney's Cars has been an excellent merchandise mover, with products on toy store shelves long after the first movie had left theaters. PotC, on the other hand, only really had products on shelves shortly before and shortly after a movie had been made.

True, PotC did vastly outsell Cars in theaters. But when you look at LEGO themes, you're looking at a far younger audience with very different tastes. I wouldn't be surprised if, assuming the PotC theme continues, it still won't have as many new sets as the Cars theme is continuing to churn out.

#2345 Zeya

Zeya
  • Thinks He's a Stud

Member: 13511

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

View PostLegoIndy, on 08 December 2011 - 04:09 PM, said:

Dear Miguel

Thanks to get in touch with LEGO® Direct and for your interest in our products.

I wish to inform you about the Pirates of the Caribbean line , that it's currently taking place, and we've launched a new ship in November called "Black Pearl" and now we're producing other ships and play sets related to Jack Sparrow and his friends...

Is that "ships" as in multiple ships? Very interesting indeed. Maybe there will be two Flying Dutchman sets in 2012 (one Spongebob and one PotC)!

#2346 General Magma

General Magma

Member: 4066

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:24 PM

I'm not sure why they would just tell you this,
but it sounds promising nonetheless.

My only problem with this is that it would lower the possibility of a LOTR theme if it is true.

It's just strange how all the news for the next waves of 2012's themes is being held back, somehow. Last year, news hit the surface quite early,
now we have only had hints and 'confirmations' without (reliable?) sources so far. In this case, it may just be true, but there is no complete confirmation.

And, ships? They normally do not release two ships in the same wave, so if it is true we might want to expect more waves, which is less likely...

I'm looking forward to more news on POTC and all other themes, but it's been taking quite long so far.

~ General Magma

Edited by General Magma, 08 December 2011 - 10:25 PM.

Flickr
MOCpages

MOCs:

Star Wars____________________Western_________________LOTR____________________Other_________
Nal Hutta: Taboona's Palace_____The Lone Chieftain_________Battle of Dunland___________Insectoid General
AT-RT______________________________________________Gollum Encounter_________________________
Bounty Hunter Starfighter_______________________________Ithilien Ranger Ambush_____________________
Imperial Probe Droid___________________________________Into Mordor______________________________
___________________________________________________Boromir's Last Stand_______________________
___________________________________________________Battle of Osgiliath__________________________

Reviews:
7929 The Battle of Naboo

My custom > LEGO LOTR figures <

#2347 Zeya

Zeya
  • Thinks He's a Stud

Member: 13511

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:31 PM

I wouldn't mind some smaller craft for this theme. Everyone likes a dinghy with a sail, right?  :pir-blush:

#2348 AndyC

AndyC

Member: 6485

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:27 AM

View PostLyichir, on 08 December 2011 - 10:12 PM, said:

PotC, on the other hand, only really had products on shelves shortly before and shortly after a movie had been made.

True, but then Pirates in general has been a strong theme for Lego, so they might feel they can sell more sets under the PotC banner knowing they will appeal to both fans of the movies and kids just wanting to play pirates with Lego. That's probably not something that applies quite so generally across other toy lines (anybody ever see generic pirate action figures?)
Posted Image

#2349 MstrOfPppts

MstrOfPppts
  • Lex Luthor, Bruce Wayne — what's the difference?

Member: 14752

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

I'd really like this to be true! If there's really multiple ships in production I just hope we don't have to wait until november for the Dutchman.

Posted Image

#2350 Walter

Walter
  • Back, but still drowning!

Member: 16053

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

View PostZeya, on 08 December 2011 - 10:31 PM, said:

I wouldn't mind some smaller craft for this theme. Everyone likes a dinghy with a sail, right?  :pir-blush:

I know I'd buy it! Who doesn't like 'swooshing' around a dinghy that's in the middle of a huge storm? Mad fun, right there.  :pir-oh3:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links