Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
2781 replies to this topic  – Started by Oswald the Rabbit , Jul 23 2010 05:18 AM

#2226 Bricksan

Bricksan
  • Bib 6126 eats miles

Member: 19010

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:53 PM

I have not heard anything in the way of sets for 2012, the only thing I have heard is the theme is only going to be in 2011 but can't confirm that 100%.
LEGO Ambassador for UK fans connected to Brick Fanatics

Brick Fanatics - A UK Based LEGO site, daily news from the world of LEGO. Plus we review sets and feature MOC's and much more.

#2227 Cammo

Cammo

Member: 18645

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:28 AM

Too bad... I was starting to collect LEGO again after 12 years and this was my first licensed theme ever. I guess I'll have to start collecting the original Pirates Theme. Too bad I'll end up with yellows and fleshies.
Posted Image

#2228 MightyMegs

MightyMegs

Member: 3694

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

Posted Image

#2229 Cpt. Tristan

Cpt. Tristan

Member: 19882

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:03 PM

149 pages!!! I find it funny to look at all of the first posts about speculating whether or not its going to come out. But the Black Pearl definitely is coming out, its already in a German toy store. After all, how could they not make the Black Pearl? It's a classic! German Toy Shop

#2230 dr jones

dr jones

Member: 3263

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:27 PM

View PostCpt. Tristan, on 24 August 2011 - 10:03 PM, said:

149 pages!!! I find it funny to look at all of the first posts about speculating whether or not its going to come out. But the Black Pearl definitely is coming out, its already in a German toy store. After all, how could they not make the Black Pearl? It's a classic! German Toy Shop

Sorry to break it to you, but we kinda already knew the Pearl was coming. And we've seen pics as far back as June or so.
we're all a little mad here
especially me.

Posted ImageThe Dwarven Company by stickmanprod, on Flickr

#2231 Zeya

Zeya
  • Thinks He's a Stud

Member: 13511

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:53 PM

View PostCpt. Tristan, on 24 August 2011 - 10:03 PM, said:

Hmm that link says that the set will be available on October 24th. Translation below.

Black Pearl - Pirates of LEGO, Pirats of the Caribbean, from age 8, 840 parts, included: Jack Sparrow, Joshua Gibbs, Davy Jones, William Turner, bootstrap Bill, pirate with Hammer's head after 13 years has returned Davy Jones to bring Jack Sparrow aboard the Flying Dutchman. But Maccus, bootstrap Bill, Jack and his friends will and Joshamee give up so quickly, as they face the tentacles of their enemy's. The set contains 6 minifigures: Jack Sparrow, will Turner, Joshamee Gibbs, Davy Jones, Maccus and bootstrap Bill. Defeat Davy Jones and his crew aboard the Black Pearl! Contents: • contains the minifigures of Jack Sparrow, will Turner, Joshamee Gibbs, Davy Jones, Maccus and bootstrap Bill • which cabin of the ship is open and is the view of the internal free • with large black sailing and working cannons 9-16 years attention! Suitable for children under 3 years because small parts can be swallowed. Choking! AVAILABLE FROM 24.10.2011! Respect. Not for children under the age of three. Contains small parts that can be swallowed and long line. Choking and the risk of Strangulation!.

#2232 Cpt. Tristan

Cpt. Tristan

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:40 AM

View Postdr jones, on 24 August 2011 - 10:27 PM, said:

Sorry to break it to you, but we kinda already knew the Pearl was coming. And we've seen pics as far back as June or so.

lol I know, I'm just posting that for anyone who doesn't know and look at this topic and wonder if its coming. And when I was talking about the first posts, I meant like the first page, when everyone was speculating whether the actual THEME was going to be released.

#2233 Deadna

Deadna

Member: 20024

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:24 PM

Personaly, I don't like the new Pirates Of The Caribbean sets because:
A: The Lego group discontinued Lego Pirates so they could make Lego Pirates Of The Caribbean
B: Look at Lego Star Wars teh Clone Wars! That should've left a ouple of months ago!
My though is CN is funding Lego so they keep making Clone Wars.
I guess my worry is that Lego won't stop makin Lego Pirates Of The Caribbean and so they won't EVER make Lego Pirates AGAIN! :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling:

#2234 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!

Member: 3891

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

View PostDeadna, on 25 August 2011 - 04:24 PM, said:

I guess my worry is that Lego won't stop makin Lego Pirates Of The Caribbean and so they won't EVER make Lego Pirates AGAIN! :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling:

They'll stop with POTC at some point, look at Indiana Jones or Prince of Persia
Personnaly I think the Black Pearl will be the last set in the POTC line.
I'm worried that it will take a long time before there will be a new Pirate theme, a very long time you might as well say there won't be one until prooved wrong  :pir_bawling:
Posted Image

#2235 Cammo

Cammo

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:58 PM

I'm hoping for just one more wave. I would love a Tia Dalma, Cutler Beckett, Sao Feng, Cotton, Pintel & Ragetti minifigs. Don't care in which sets they arrive.  :pir-classic:
Posted Image

#2236 The_Chosen_1

The_Chosen_1
  • Keeps the ending secret

Member: 18398

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:58 PM

Look at Lego Star Wars teh Clone Wars! That should've left a couple of months ago!

A bit off topic, but you're kidding right?  Star Wars is Lego's biggest seller, with The Clone Wars series having a HUGE following in the 6-14 year old boys demographic.  Lego Clone Wars isn't going away anytime soon.

I personally hope PotC will stick around for at least one more wave, but my gut feeling tells me that the Black Pearl will be the last set of the line.  It's a shame, there's still so much ground to cover.  There hasn't been a single set from At World's End.
Never tell me the odds!

#2237 Weil

Weil

Member: 18255

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:35 AM

View PostThe_Chosen_1, on 25 August 2011 - 09:58 PM, said:

Star Wars is Lego's biggest seller

Nope, City/town is Lego's biggest global seller though Star Wars is also a highly successful theme and consistently one of the best sellers.

View PostSebeus Iniwum, on 25 August 2011 - 07:11 PM, said:

They'll stop with POTC at some point, look at Indiana Jones or Prince of Persia
Personnaly I think the Black Pearl will be the last set in the POTC line.
I'm worried that it will take a long time before there will be a new Pirate theme, a very long time you might as well say there won't be one until prooved wrong  :pir_bawling:

I think it's more of a question of 'when' than 'if' classic pirates will return. The 4th Pirates of the Caribbean film wasn't a big success and the future of the franchise in general looks uncertain, while at the release of the film a PotC Lego theme definitely looked like a money spinner I think it's already clear it will be short lived since as far as I'm aware it already hasn't done as well as hoped and I would think its safe to say with the decline of the franchise sales can only go down from here.

Comparisons to Star Wars are pretty limited since the overall size of the PotC merchandise market is a speck compared to the size of the Star Wars merchandise market. The Indiana Jones Lego line has a much better comparison with the PotC line and look what's happened there - they discontinued the license and bought out a new unlicensed theme along same lines in the form of Pharaoh’s Quest.

Lego have quite openly said that a few years back they were getting it all wrong in trying to move away from their core product resulting in them selling off their theme parks and licensing out all the video games. They're now moving back to focusing on lego bricks and their core themes - City, Castle, Space and Pirates.

The classic pirate line made way for an opportunity they had with the PotC line but with the PotC line now on its way out (Probably either finishing with the pearl or perhaps with 1 more wave afterward) then I think its quite realistic to hope for the return of classic pirates in say 2013.

This is of course all speculative - I have no idea what lego will do really but these are my reasoned thoughts.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Raid on The Crown Tavern: Click images for the forum topic and more pics.

#2238 Cpt. Tristan

Cpt. Tristan

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:12 AM

Look at Lego Star Wars teh Clone Wars! That should've left a ouple of months ago!

Well the Clone Wars is even better than PotC for sales because:

1. Because its a show, they can make new episodes to inspire new sets.
2. Lego is generally marketed for kids, kids love the clone wars.
3. Star Wars has always been a big success for kids and adults, so both will want a piece of the clone wars line.
4. PotC isn't really for younger kids, so a lot of them don't even know what the sets are about.
5. CN probably is funding Lego :pir-wink:

#2239 The_Chosen_1

The_Chosen_1

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:28 AM

View PostWeil, on 26 August 2011 - 01:35 AM, said:

Nope, City/town is Lego's biggest global seller though Star Wars is also a highly successful theme and consistently one of the best sellers.

Thanks for catching me-- I was only thinking of licensed themes.
Never tell me the odds!

#2240 MCNwakeboard

MCNwakeboard

Member: 9088

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:51 AM

View PostWeil, on 26 August 2011 - 01:35 AM, said:

The 4th Pirates of the Caribbean film wasn't a big success and the future of the franchise in general looks uncertain, while at the release of the film a PotC Lego theme definitely looked like a money spinner I think it's already clear it will be short lived since as far as I'm aware it already hasn't done as well as hoped and I would think its safe to say with the decline of the franchise sales can only go down from here.

I think Pirates 4 actually did very well. It is number 8th on the most revenue grossing film worldwide. (I'm sure higher ticket prices help)
http://www.filmsite.org/boxoffice.html

It sounds like Pirates 5 would be in production if Depp was ready.
http://www.hollywood...d-disney-185357

I agree that we may not see more POTC sets anytime soon since it was a movie tie-in, but in my opinion the POTC have sold well. (at least better than other Disney franchise sets (Prince of Persia, Toy Story, Cars 2)
Queen Anne's Revenge was one the top sellers list for a while on Lego.com

#2241 Weil

Weil

Member: 18255

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:14 AM

View PostMCNwakeboard, on 26 August 2011 - 03:51 AM, said:

I think Pirates 4 actually did very well. It is number 8th on the most revenue grossing film worldwide. (I'm sure higher ticket prices help)
http://www.filmsite.org/boxoffice.html

My bad, thought I'd heard otherwise. Actually looks like it is likely they'll be a 5th film in 2013 too which makes classic lego pirates future quite a bit more uncertain.  :pir_bawling:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Raid on The Crown Tavern: Click images for the forum topic and more pics.

#2242 Lego-Freak

Lego-Freak
  • Online LEGO Store Detective

Member: 1635

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

I've just found a better picture of Davy Jones on the same site that brought us the last BP pics:

https://exoneit.de/d...054&kat_id=7251 (The picture can't be deeplinked due to its size)

The set itself may be a little underwhelming, but Jones certainly isn't  :pir-wub:

#2243 Cammo

Cammo

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for sharing. Too bad it's black & white but now we have a close-up of the tentacle-beard and pincer. Still two months until the review though :P
Posted Image

#2244 The_Chosen_1

The_Chosen_1

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:45 AM

Great to see that it's not just a re-use of Blackbeard's beard piece, as was rumored some time ago. :pir-classic:
Never tell me the odds!

#2245 Israel_B

Israel_B

Member: 18897

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:18 PM

Black Pearl just showed up for pre-order on amazon Japan. Needless to say I was all over that like I was a man back from a six month voyage and it was "pleasurable company". Ship date is Nov 1.

#2246 buddy

buddy

Member: 14028

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:54 PM

Brickset has just added a new PotC polybag set to its database, it is set no. 30133 and it is just a Jack Sparrow minifigure. Its picture is from keithkram, a Brickset member who also has a store on Bricklink where you can buy this polybag set from, link. Here is a picture of it  :pir-classic: :

Posted Image

~buddy~

#2247 Zeya

Zeya
  • Thinks He's a Stud

Member: 13511

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:45 PM

It's very similar to the old tricorne Jack Sparrow ("Captain Jack Sparrow"). To me, it looks like the head is the same, but his torso/leg printing has a blue coat over everything (but under the belt). The older Jack minifig with a tricorne has a brown coat on. So it's as if they've just turned the old brown coat into a blue coat.  :pir-sceptic: What do you guys think? Can you spot any other differences here?

#2248 MstrOfPppts

MstrOfPppts
  • Lex Luthor, Bruce Wayne — what's the difference?

Member: 14752

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:12 PM

It's all known parts, just different placement. In sets we used to get either Jack with his hat and his brown coat on, or Jack with no hat and his blue shirt on. Then what it seems in Black Pearl Jack will come in his brown coat with no hat (since it's from the 2nd movie) and then we get the last combination of parts: the one in the blue shirt with the hat. Everything seems to be same parts, except if the head has a new back print.

Posted Image

#2249 KristofBD

KristofBD

Member: 6258

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:06 PM

View PostWeil, on 26 August 2011 - 04:14 AM, said:

My bad, thought I'd heard otherwise. Actually looks like it is likely they'll be a 5th film in 2013 too which makes classic lego pirates future quite a bit more uncertain.  :pir_bawling:

It seems that the movie did not do well in the US, but this decrease was more than compensated by gains from the rest of the world.  Now, the question is how important is the US market to LEGO?
Trouble is brewing...
                                                           Posted Image

#2250 Piranha

Piranha
  • Tag! You're it

Member: 1506

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:16 AM

what is different about that Jack, you can make him if you have Jack w/hat and w/o hat versions.

Unless his face has a different reverse, still not worth the $30 IMO though.

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links