Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
2712 replies to this topic  – Started by Oswald the Rabbit , Jul 23 2010 05:18 AM

#2126 David Thomsen

David Thomsen
  • Heimlich manoeuvre?

Member: 5510

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:14 AM

View PostDeckard, on 22 May 2011 - 01:09 AM, said:

Who are you and why do you think my review had anything to do with you. Don't call me a troll, your attacking me now. I could care less what you think anyway. I was referring to the critics, I didn't even read your post before posting mine, wake up and realise that review wasn't special for you only. I came on and posted a what I thought.
I apologise. I didn't mean for my post to be about myself, I was speaking as a member of the group you had maligned. I will edit my previous post for clarity.

#2127 TalonCard

TalonCard
  • Pirate Journalist

Member: 883

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:15 AM

...so I'm not sure if I should join in the discussion or not, since I've seen notices to stay "on topic", but unless it's really expected that we not bring conversation here until images of the Pearl show up (which could be a while), I'd like to give my two (shiny!) LEGO cents on the film:

I really enjoyed it!  There were a ton of fun scenes...the trial, the escape from the King's court, the creepy lighthouse (I want that set now!)...it was a great pirate film, no doubt about it.  I particularly enjoyed the mermaid scenes.  I was skeptical of the idea of using mermaids, but I really bought them as an enticing but dangerous threat.

I'll admit that there were some flaws...it was painfully obvious that the QAR was a redressed Black Pearl, the music felt phoned in, the effects were a little off, and there were a few too many 3-D moments.  On the whole, not quite as good as the other sequels, but still worthwhile.  I have a feeling I'll be seeing this movie again a few times.

On topic, seeing the movie definitely makes me want the sets more...it's all I can do to be patient and not run out and buy them...

Also, I wish we'd get some word on when the small sets, the Pearl and Jack's boat, will be making their way to the states.

TC

#2128 Zeya

Zeya
  • Thinks He's a Stud

Member: 13511

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:44 AM

You people need to give spoiler warnings before blurting out plot twists.

#2129 Horry

Horry
  • He's back!

Member: 16842

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:28 PM

View PostZeya, on 22 May 2011 - 08:44 AM, said:

I second that! There are now spoilers all over the pirates-forum. In the reviews, in the MOCs and in the discussions... As much as I appreciate all the folks tryin' to save me money by telling me the story of the film I'd still like to go and watch it myself  :pir-grin:
Greetings from the horrible Horry!
New to Eurobricks? Don't get lost, read the site guidelines

Posted Image

Have a look on my tutorials on cannon fortifications caravels ship specs frigates and small ships

#2130 Deckard

Deckard

Member: 17279

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

I dont think its too off topic to discuss the movie, its important to the sets afterall, but yes I agree about being careful about spoilers. My review was ok though right? If anyones bothered I'll take it down, just let me know.

Anyway great news!

Rebooted 'Pirates' sets overseas box office record

http://beta.news.yah...-154209799.html

This bodes well for future lego sets and a possible 5th installment!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2131 TalonCard

TalonCard
  • Pirate Journalist

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:08 AM

View PostZeya, on 22 May 2011 - 08:44 AM, said:

Sorry, I thought I was careful to stick to what was already in the trailers, if that.

TC

#2132 eldiano

eldiano

Member: 16003

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:16 AM

The one thing I'm pissed at the Lego set the fountain of youth, is that is nothing like the one in the movie!  I have the lego POTC Game, and played the fourth story line as soon as I got the chance, when I got to  the level I figured it was wrong since it's nothing like mine, but when I saw the movie I noticed how the movie and the game were correct but not my set, I wish at least in some form that it was like said item.  Granted it's an awesome set but you know...

This weekend I went to the my local Toysrus to purchase QAR and planned to use my rewards membership to get like a 20% discount, when I went to the register they already had a 20% promotion on all POTC sets, needless to say Fountain of youth, isla de muerta and the captain's cabin were sold out, guess I'll use my coupon for the Village mill raid hehehe.
Posted Image

#2133 joeygunns

joeygunns

Member: 11049

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:48 AM

I saw the movie on Friday, I went to my local cinema which was the only place where they weren't showing it in 3D ( I really can't stand 3D) I was the only person in the cinema which was fantastic.

The reviews have been overly harsh in my opinion, The film like the other POTC films are just plain fun. Grab some popcorn, a coke and sit back and enjoy yourself.

Oh yes, there is a scene at the end of the credits if you feel like sticking around.

#2134 MstrOfPppts

MstrOfPppts
  • Lex Luthor, Bruce Wayne — what's the difference?

Member: 14752

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:35 AM

Since there's a lot of talk about the movie here, I'll share my oppinion with you. I must agree with what Deckard said about the score. Really couldn't give it more than 8/10, but still it's a good mark. Though all the previous 3 movies deserve a 9 if not 10. I don't usualy read reviews of movies - especially not before I see one, so I can create my own pisture about it - so I can't say I read anything bad about it. But to the movies ...

I really saw no lack of Will and Elizabeth. Can't say their acting was bad or anything, but since their story came to an end in the previous trilogy, there was no need in pushing them inside. The actors are really cool and Jack and Barbossa do the majority of hte job in this movie. Blackbeard is also well done and fits in the story well! On the other hand I must agree with David that the part with Syrene and Philip is pretty annoying, but luckly there's not too much of it!

All in all the movie is great, it has a great story and most important did not loose the pirate feel! For my taste it was just a little bit less action oriented, since there is no ships gun fights and no major battles. Some more thoughts in spoilers:

Spoiler

Edited by MstrOfPppts, 23 May 2011 - 08:38 AM.

Posted Image

#2135 Sinner

Sinner
  • Mike's Magical Elf

Member: 1554

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

View PostDeckard, on 22 May 2011 - 08:06 PM, said:

I dont think its too off topic to discuss the movie, its important to the sets afterall, but yes I agree about being careful about spoilers. My review was ok though right? If anyones bothered I'll take it down, just let me know.

View Postjoeygunns, on 23 May 2011 - 03:48 AM, said:

I saw the movie on Friday, I went to my local cinema which was the only place where they weren't showing it in 3D ( I really can't stand 3D) I was the only person in the cinema which was fantastic.

View PostMstrOfPppts, on 23 May 2011 - 08:35 AM, said:

Since there's a lot of talk about the movie here, I'll share my oppinion with you.

Please, no more. We have a forum for discussion about movies; take it there please. Also, show some common sense (this isn't directed at anyone in particular) and don't ruin the movie for others...

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!

#2136 TalonCard

TalonCard
  • Pirate Journalist

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:15 PM

View PostSiegfried, on 23 May 2011 - 11:02 AM, said:

Please, no more. We have a forum for discussion about movies; take it there please. Also, show some common sense (this isn't directed at anyone in particular) and don't ruin the movie for others...

Expression of disappointment edited out.  Sooooo...when will we know about the mini sets appearing in the US, do you think?  Have there been recent examples of UK mini sets that didn't eventually appear in the states?

TC

Edited by TalonCard, 23 May 2011 - 04:28 PM.

#2137 Ogre

Ogre

Member: 4165

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:25 PM

View PostTalonCard, on 23 May 2011 - 04:15 PM, said:

Expression of disappointment edited out.  Sooooo...when will we know about the mini sets appearing in the US, do you think?  Have there been recent examples of UK mini sets that didn't eventually appear in the states?

TC

And...any news on whether or not "wooden Jack" will be available in Canada?  (which would be nice, considering how badly 'overlooked' we get on polybag sets)

~*~ Ogre ~*~

#2138 Capt. Redblade

Capt. Redblade
  • Python Parrot

Member: 6242

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:04 PM

View PostOgre, on 23 May 2011 - 05:25 PM, said:

And...any news on whether or not "wooden Jack" will be available in Canada?  (which would be nice, considering how badly 'overlooked' we get on polybag sets)
This Canadian received the "wooden Jack" as a free gift when I preordered the video game, but it's a little late to do that now.

"One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine."

-- The First Doctor

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."

-- The Seventh Doctor

#2139 Zeya

Zeya
  • Thinks He's a Stud

Member: 13511

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

Couple of things...

First about the misprinted redcoat hats I got in the London Escape set. I contacted Lego replacement service via email. They responded saying they needed the number that starts with '4', which I gave them. (By the way that number is in tiny print near the legalese and copyright on the back cover.) And then I got this response:

We are more than happy to send a new replacement absolutely free! Your new part is on its way from our warehouse in Denmark and should arrive in 7 to 10 business days.

I just wanted to point out that the hats are coming from Denmark. I'm on the west coast of the United States, and I've had missing parts come from within the U.S. before (I think Connecticut if I'm not mistaken). So maybe those hats are manufactured in Denmark.

The other thing, is that I went to my local TRU and asked if they had any left over wooden Jack Sparrows (the video game preorder bonus). They told me that they only got five of the things in. They said other people had been through asking about them. I asked if they knew if that fig would be sold separately at some point. They said they didn't know. But they said they think that there is a keychain of that fig coming out. I'm not sure how true that is; these were just some dudes at the video game counter.

#2140 Captain Henry

Captain Henry

Member: 17842

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

View PostZeya, on 23 May 2011 - 08:01 PM, said:

The other thing, is that I went to my local TRU and asked if they had any left over wooden Jack Sparrows (the video game preorder bonus). They told me that they only got five of the things in. They said other people had been through asking about them.

Same here...  :pir_bawling: The TRU in Kennesaw, GA, did not have any leftover wooden Jacks as of this weekend.

#2141 Commander Keller

Commander Keller

Member: 3156

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:37 AM

Wooden Jack is a pretty neat little fig. POTC was a great addition to the pirates in IMO. Pirates was great before but with some of these new pieces and figs, I can sense some amazing MOCs coming.
"There are heroes and there are legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart and you'll never go wrong" -Sandlot

#2142 General Jones

General Jones

Member: 12329

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:07 AM

I was talking to a cashier at a Myers store in Sydney and they told me that the Black Pearl was coming out in stores next week!

Don't now how accurate this is judging that it is supposed to come out November but she definetely seemed to know what she was talking about...

Can't wait to find out!

General Jones

Edited by General Jones, 27 May 2011 - 03:08 AM.

#2143 brick-a-block

brick-a-block

Member: 7606

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:48 AM

View PostGeneral Jones, on 27 May 2011 - 03:07 AM, said:

I was talking to a cashier at a Myers store in Sydney and they told me that the Black Pearl was coming out in stores next week!

Don't now how accurate this is judging that it is supposed to come out November but she definetely seemed to know what she was talking about...

Can't wait to find out!

General Jones

I bought QAR from Myer last weekend, I hope this is true, that would be EPIC!!!

I was going to pracastinate on this issue and say something along the lines of, "wouldn't our Euro/US comrades know first about new releases" (because Australia gets everything at a ridiculously slow rate for some reason...).

But if this were true it's likely LEGO sent out everything in one hit (including the Pearl) but told stores worldwide to keep particular sets off-sale until a certain release date.

I hope it's the latter. If so could you keep us updated as the whether they will hit shelves by next week. If they don't arrive I'd give a stern talking to that Myer salesperson.

I will remain sceptical however, I too would have thought LEGO would have monopolised on this wave as long as possible and then released more at Christmas time. FINGERS CROSSED

#2144 Gregorovich

Gregorovich

Member: 15114

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

Can't wait to find out!

General Jones
I'm not sure if I believe this. Seeing as this isn't an exclusive, I thought we'd at least have got an image by now if this were true. However, I certainly hope it's coming next week, because I can't wait to see this ship!

My unique Collectable Minifigures so far:
S1: 12/16  S2: 7/16  S3: 9/16  S4: 12/16  S5: 0/16

My Brickshelf
My Flickr

Posted Image
Convicted on Day 5 playing as Town member Geert Rotterdam in Sandy's Escape from Isla Paradisa
-Passed-

#2145 brick-a-block

brick-a-block

Member: 7606

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:28 PM

Can't wait to find out!

General Jones

Oh wait, maybe she meant the mini black pearl set? I have seen at David Jones the collectible minifig bags (jester, punk, musketeer), those sorts of things, so maybe that was what she was hinting at?
Black Pearl would be sweeeeeeet!!!

Though judging from what I've seen of the game I'd like to have a Davy Jones figure now, and MORE REDCOATS!!!

I don't know if this is the right thread to post here (so direct me to a suggestion/wishlist thread otherwsie) but I would love LEGO to produce a 'Port Royal harbour' set from POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl.
My vision for this is similar to other harbour sets of previous LEGO Pirates lines, to have a small dock with mast and crows nest sticking out from the water (Jacks dinghy), some small boats with sails docked, a crane with cannon attached (for Jack to swing on) and several Redcoats beneath that fall into the water via a breakaway dock action where the cannon falls. If only my LEGO was nearby to realise this.

Edited by brick-a-block, 27 May 2011 - 04:28 PM.

#2146 punkkid364

punkkid364

Member: 15358

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:44 PM

View Postbrick-a-block, on 27 May 2011 - 05:48 AM, said:

I will remain sceptical however, I too would have thought LEGO would have monopolised on this wave as long as possible and then released more at Christmas time.

This.

View PostGregorovich, on 27 May 2011 - 03:15 PM, said:

I'm not sure if I believe this. Seeing as this isn't an exclusive, I thought we'd at least have got an image by now if this were true.

Also this.

We haven't seen or heard anything about the Black Pearl, really, other than it's coming, the piece count, and which movie it's based on.  I really doubt TLG would release it this close to the first wave, and without any fanfare or leaked images or ANYTHING.  That hasn't ever happened before.  It also doesn't really make any sense to move an expensive (but most likely a very popular) set's release from six weeks before Christmas to the summer.  I'll bet that this employee was either: 1. wrong or 2. talking about the mini Black Pearl.

#2147 Cammy

Cammy

Member: 2811

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

View Postbrick-a-block, on 27 May 2011 - 04:28 PM, said:

I don't know if this is the right thread to post here (so direct me to a suggestion/wishlist thread otherwsie) but I would love LEGO to produce a 'Port Royal harbour' set from POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl.
My vision for this is similar to other harbour sets of previous LEGO Pirates lines, to have a small dock with mast and crows nest sticking out from the water (Jacks dinghy), some small boats with sails docked, a crane with cannon attached (for Jack to swing on) and several Redcoats beneath that fall into the water via a breakaway dock action where the cannon falls. If only my LEGO was nearby to realise this.

In a way, LEGO sort of did release a Port Royal set! If you get Whitecap Bay and the London Escape sets, you can combine them to build this official model, but unfortunately there's no regular instructions to build it. You can read the review here: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=55288

Tempted by the Dark Side? Check out my blog - Bricks From Another Dimension!

#2148 Piranha

Piranha
  • Tag! You're it

Member: 1506

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:07 AM

It appears all POTC sets have been pulled from Barns and Noble.com, they only have the Cannibal Escape and it says "usually ships within 24hrs"

does this mean the coupon code will work? (V7T4Y4X)

will this mean they will be adding the other sets later?

:pir_wacko:

Edited by Macoco, 29 May 2011 - 06:09 AM.

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image

#2149 TheDarkness

TheDarkness

Member: 3513

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:04 AM

View PostMacoco, on 29 May 2011 - 06:07 AM, said:

It appears all POTC sets have been pulled from Barns and Noble.com, they only have the Cannibal Escape and it says "usually ships within 24hrs"

does this mean the coupon code will work? (V7T4Y4X)

will this mean they will be adding the other sets later?

:pir_wacko:

The coupon works, I used it last night. I was told it can be used til the end of June, though I am not certain on that.
You'd assume they would bring back the POTC sets before then, but this is B&N we are talking about. If they do, then I will be purchasing my first POTC sets from there

#2150 Mr_Malfoy

Mr_Malfoy

Member: 17027

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:53 PM

Quick question. Does anyone have the video game? If someone does, what the cheat code for Invincibility?
I'm a Christian and proud of it! I'm also proud to be a Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Disney, Lord of the Rings, and LEGO fan too...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links