Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
2781 replies to this topic  – Started by Oswald the Rabbit , Jul 23 2010 05:18 AM

#1276 SimWilliamSparrow

SimWilliamSparrow

Member: 15519

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:19 PM

View PostDavid Thomsen, on 08 February 2011 - 10:01 PM, said:

, POTC fans aren't that fanatical about the franchise.

Trust me, some of us, like me, really are..  I would LOVE a big and detailed version of the Pearl :pir-wub:
Captain Simen William Sparrow

#1277 punkkid364

punkkid364

Member: 15358

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

To be honest, I only expect one version of the Black Pearl. We've seen 'affordable scale' and 'UCS scale' versions of the Millenium Falcon, but that makes sense because the 'affordable scale' MF is so out of proportion with all the x-wings and tie-fighters. Also, there are a lot of Star Wars fanatics out there willing to buy some very expensive sets.

An 'affordable scale' Black Pearl is already going to be in scale with the other boats in the series. What would be the point in making a bigger one? Also, POTC fans aren't that fanatical about the franchise.

If anything, I'd like them to make a Diagon Alley-type set based on Port Royal or Tortuga.

The Pearl should be about the same size as the QAR, as far as size and scale go.  What I'm hoping for in it is detail, like to the level of the recent IF.

#1278 Derfel Cadarn

Derfel Cadarn
  • Lives in a pumpkin eat pumpkin world.

Member: 5528

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:36 PM

To be honest, I only expect one version of the Black Pearl. We've seen 'affordable scale' and 'UCS scale' versions of the Millenium Falcon, but that makes sense because the 'affordable scale' MF is so out of proportion with all the x-wings and tie-fighters. Also, there are a lot of Star Wars fanatics out there willing to buy some very expensive sets.

An 'affordable scale' Black Pearl is already going to be in scale with the other boats in the series. What would be the point in making a bigger one? Also, POTC fans aren't that fanatical about the franchise.

If anything, I'd like them to make a Diagon Alley-type set based on Port Royal or Tortuga.

Now that would be cool! I'd deffinitly prefer a large Port Royal or Tortuga set as there would be so many more useful pieces for moccing.
I hope thats what they do.

View Postpunkkid364, on 08 February 2011 - 10:25 PM, said:

The Pearl should be about the same size as the QAR, as far as size and scale go.  What I'm hoping for in it is detail, like to the level of the recent IF.
Well it doesn't really matter weather the Pearl is highly detailed or not, this is Lego we're talking about, so you will always be able to mod it and add whatever details you want. If not, then you can always build your own which is the best way. Either way, a cheap Pearl or Expensive one, it doesn't really matter as you can rebuild it how you want. Just hope it comes with black hull pieces!
Posted Image Posted Image   
Lord Of The Dark Isle
  My Flickr

#1279 LegoIndy

LegoIndy

Member: 15911

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:37 PM

Are there any Lego set box images of this great upcoming theme ?¿

#1280 lt.Gonville brickhead

lt.Gonville brickhead

Member: 10353

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:30 PM

View PostLegoIndy, on 09 February 2011 - 06:37 PM, said:

Are there any Lego set box images of this great upcoming theme ?¿

If you meant of the boxes I don't think so.
If you meant of the sets

Courtesy of MTV and Deepdive
Posted Image

For the glory of the british empire
what empire
there is none                                  
sombody should tell them

Theres nothing wrong with me theres just something
not right that makes me better

#1281 SkaForHire

SkaForHire
  • Historica's Fortune Teller

Member: 759

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:55 AM

View Postlt.Gonville brickhead, on 09 February 2011 - 10:30 PM, said:

If you meant of the sets

Someone should sticky that link until we get better pictures... also, did they say that these are the only 8 sets? Or are there more?  It is odd that they are releasing them at the same time as the fourth movie and not concentrating on that one movie first...
D.L.T.B.G.Y.D.  Flickr Feed

Admiral Woodbrose, Minister of the Colonies of Corrington

Dugal MacLean of the Kaliphlin Guild ~ "GEAR Up with GEAR CO supplies."

Posted Image                                                         Posted Image                                             Posted Image
Triumphal Arch of Petraea    ...    |    ....          Devil's Island   ......        |    ........       Rakath Mountain Ritual

#1282 Dr.Cogg

Dr.Cogg
  • They're called "wet lands"

Member: 4030

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:54 AM

A few sites I just visited said the Black Pearl is $149.00, so it looks like the Black Pearl might be the larger of the 2 ships.
Immortal and loving it.

Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#1283 lightningtiger

lightningtiger
  • Gungans taste like chicken

Member: 7997

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:01 AM

I have being told along the grapevine that the Black Pearl at least in Australia will be a store exclusive.....but where no one knows. :pir-sceptic:

#1284 Thee Pirate

Thee Pirate

Member: 1026

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:11 AM

View PostSimWilliamSparrow, on 08 February 2011 - 10:19 PM, said:

Trust me, some of us, like me, really are..  I would LOVE a big and detailed version of the Pearl :pir-wub:
AGREED!!! I have loved Pirates of the Caribbean for as long as I can remember. I dated a chick that worked at Disneyland before I joined the Air Force and she took me to an employed only party before they shut down Pirates for the remodel... I went on it 12 times in a row without even getting off of it :-) single most amazing date of my life. I've seen all 3 Pirates movie 3x in theaters and waited for the special edition DVDs to come out before buying them. Pirates is up there for favorite movie franchises for this guy.
All time favorite: the original Imperial Flagship
Modern favorite: Race for the Stolen Treasure (X5 and counting)

Set list on Brickset
flickr

#1285 joeygunns

joeygunns

Member: 11049

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:18 AM

View Postlightningtiger, on 10 February 2011 - 04:01 AM, said:

I have being told along the grapevine that the Black Pearl at least in Australia will be a store exclusive.....but where no one knows. :pir-sceptic:

ahh! i can't stand store exclusives in australia! most likely target? they get all the exclusives

#1286 On Stranger Tides

On Stranger Tides

Member: 14161

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:23 AM

Attached File  66425_1421294004595_1000020159_31059688_4880327_n.jpg   31.65K   96 downloads
Aren't that fanatical, Ha. This is me.
Long Live The Crown!
My Flickr

#1287 LegoIndy

LegoIndy

Member: 15911

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:39 PM

View Postlt.Gonville brickhead, on 09 February 2011 - 10:30 PM, said:

If you meant of the sets

Thank you so much, but I was asking for the box images :D

#1288 halfpenguinhalflego

halfpenguinhalflego

Member: 6437

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:44 PM

I don't know whether to wait and hope the Black Pearl is bigger or just buy the QAR.
Also if the Black Pearl is not in these images then maybe it is an exclusive set?
My FlickrPosted Image Posted Image  Posted Image

#1289 aangmaster333

aangmaster333

Member: 15919

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:39 PM

Love blackbeard with (flaming ?) beard. I also love the idea of having a spinning platform that transforms barbossa. Overall great new sword, mermaid, hair, ect pieces. :jollyroger:
Learning is knowledge. Knowledge is power. Power corrupts, and corruption is evil. So learning is bad.

#1290 josykay

josykay

Member: 10581

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:08 AM

Love blackbeard with (flaming ?) beard.
Aye, Blackbeard is a fantastic minifig.
It is not Blackbeards beard, that is burning. He was some kind of mad and attached burning fuses  to his hear or beard.

Btw: I am suprised, that the Queen Anne´s Revenge set does not contain the Jolly Roger, that is attributed to Blackbeard.

Edited by josykay, 11 February 2011 - 02:11 AM.

#1291 Haltiamieli

Haltiamieli
    Member: 14151

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:55 AM

View Posthalfpenguinhalflego, on 10 February 2011 - 07:44 PM, said:

I don't know whether to wait and hope the Black Pearl is bigger or just buy the QAR.
It is still quite probable that the first pictures of the Black Pearl set will leak to the internet before the release date of QAR and other sets of the first wave in May.
Halti son of Halti, a warrior of the Clan of the Great Elk and a loyal member of the Mitgardia Guild.
Supporting in Cuusoo: trebuchet, big trees, medieval theatre wagon, blacksmith's house...

#1292 SimWilliamSparrow

SimWilliamSparrow

Member: 15519

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:08 AM

View Postjosykay, on 11 February 2011 - 02:08 AM, said:

Btw: I am suprised, that the Queen Anne´s Revenge set does not contain the Jolly Roger, that is attributed to Blackbeard.

I think that it is because the films are set after Blackbeards "death". So why would he sail under his well known colors when he had supposedly died a long time ago? It makes perfect sense why he would have changed his Jolly Roger.  :thumbup:
Captain Simen William Sparrow

#1293 Derfel Cadarn

Derfel Cadarn
  • Lives in a pumpkin eat pumpkin world.

Member: 5528

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:20 AM

View Postjosykay, on 11 February 2011 - 02:08 AM, said:

Aye, Blackbeard is a fantastic minifig.
It is not Blackbeards beard, that is burning. He was some kind of mad and attached burning fuses  to his hear or beard.

Jolly Rodger? I thought Blackbeard's flag was a devil with an hourglass and hearts. It was ment to symbolize that you time is running out and soon the devil will have your soul, or something like that.
Posted Image Posted Image   
Lord Of The Dark Isle
  My Flickr

#1294 Lego lover

Lego lover

Member: 8573

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

But we get Jack with his hat only in expensive sets. Posted Image
Please, check my latest MOC, Rockcastle.

#1295 On Stranger Tides

On Stranger Tides

Member: 14161

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

View PostDerfel Cardarn, on 11 February 2011 - 09:20 AM, said:

Jolly Rodger? I thought Blackbeard's flag was a devil with an hourglass and hearts. It was ment to symbolize that you time is running out and soon the devil will have your soul, or something like that.

It is still a jolly roger, I have every known main captain's flag hanging in my pirate room.
Long Live The Crown!
My Flickr

#1296 Sirens-of-Titan

Sirens-of-Titan
  • Future tiler

Member: 4341

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:04 PM

This is what you're referring to:
Posted Image

It wouldn't be a Disney film if they didn't alter most of the details on the flag. They kept the horns at least.
"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape."
— Terry Pratchett

My MOC Pages
My Flickr

#1297 Jareth

Jareth

Member: 15964

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

I've been very interested in the Mill, Whitecap bay, London escape and the fountain of youth.  Then I did a Little research here on this thread and was pleasantly surprised.  Most of the sets have a pretty good price per part compared to other licensed lines.  Captain's Cabin and Cannibal Escape are good enough for me to get interested in as parts packs/army builders.

However the fountain of youth is only 95 pieces, 3 minfigs and 20$ (American)

I think I'll be skipping the fountain unless the preliminary price list was way off.
Build with what you have, not with what you want.

#1298 blueandwhite

blueandwhite
  • Sandwich Stealer

Member: 481

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:57 PM

View PostHaltiamieli, on 11 February 2011 - 06:55 AM, said:

It is still quite probable that the first pictures of the Black Pearl set will leak to the internet before the release date of QAR and other sets of the first wave in May.

Remember, most LEGO 'leaks' simply come from dealer catalogs and other materials that LEGO makes available to retailers.  There don't seem to be as many internal leaks from LEGO themselves.  I actually suspect that we won't see any images of the Black Pearl until sometime after the first wave is released.  My guess is that LEGO doesn't want the Pearl to overshadow the QAR.  It's the flagship of the POTC franchise and when all is said and done, it will probably eat into sales of the QAR.

#1299 Haltiamieli

Haltiamieli
    Member: 14151

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:15 PM

View Postblueandwhite, on 12 February 2011 - 10:57 PM, said:

Remember, most LEGO 'leaks' simply come from dealer catalogs and other materials that LEGO makes available to retailers. There don't seem to be as many internal leaks from LEGO themselves.
Good point, didn't think of that. :blush: I have a bad habit of thinking I know things better than I really do. :pir-grin:
Halti son of Halti, a warrior of the Clan of the Great Elk and a loyal member of the Mitgardia Guild.
Supporting in Cuusoo: trebuchet, big trees, medieval theatre wagon, blacksmith's house...

#1300 joeygunns

joeygunns

Member: 11049

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:22 AM

i guess the pearl is coming out with the second wave? i reckon we will see photos of it when we see photos of it...we just gotta wait a little.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links