Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

2704 replies to this topic  – Started by Oswald the Rabbit , Jul 23 2010 05:18 AM

#101 Pvt. Ryan

Pvt. Ryan

Member: 12161

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

:pir-classic: For a crab arm they could just use a rock monster arm in brown or red!

#102 Emperor Claudius Rome

Emperor Claudius Rome

Member: 6263

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

If we're getting POTC sets, Bluecoats?
REAL MEN WATCH MLP
*Edit by Hinckley: While this may be true, the Site Guidelines require text no larger than size 3 in your signature. Thank you.

Like History? If so, this is your kind of thread!

#103 Dunjohn

Dunjohn
  • EB Boardgames Reviewer

Member: 7364

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:54 PM

View PostTycho McKorley, on 23 July 2010 - 06:20 PM, said:

I think I'll have to say that I'm a little bit skeptical of this.  PotC finished its trilogy years ago and I'd think that Lego would want to have sets out when the movie could boost sales.  Right now that just wouldn't be the case.  That's a cool Jack Sparrow minifig though to be sure.
There's a fourth one out in May '11. That's about right for the launch of these.
On the stalls on market day,
You might hear little voices say....

Collectable Minifigures Trading List

#104 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Member: 273

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:54 PM

View PostDreamweb, on 23 July 2010 - 04:31 PM, said:

I think what Cpt. Dan meant was not the end of our beloved website, but rather the end of classic Pirate sets
I made a typo!

I meant to write "classic pirates" but I've become so used to writing Classic-Pirates.com I wrote that instead.  So yes, I did indeed intrepret Cpt. Dan's as intended and my response is still along the lines of "eventually a Pirates of the Caribbean theme will come to an end and the LEGO Group will return to classic pirate sets"

:pir-grin:

Posted Image

#105 Capt. Redblade

Capt. Redblade
  • Python Parrot

Member: 6242

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:01 PM

If this is an new theme, I think I can see the waterwheel in our near future.  :pir-cry_happy: Jack looks amazing.

View PostYG-49, on 23 July 2010 - 07:39 AM, said:

I, personally, can not wait to see Mr. Davy Jones. How will they do his crab arm?.
They'll probably do a new arm mold just for him. It's happened before, and it can happen again.

"One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine."

-- The First Doctor

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."

-- The Seventh Doctor

#106 halfpenguinhalflego

halfpenguinhalflego

Member: 6437

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:10 PM

Yay my wishes came true! Hopefully. The hat looks a bit big but that torso! :pir-wub:  I really hope it is true.
My FlickrPosted Image Posted Image  Posted Image

#107 Klaus-Dieter

Klaus-Dieter
  • 4-Wide Kerfuffler

Member: 1588

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:42 PM

Thank you very much for this information, Oswald the Rabbit! :pir-classic:

No, not again another licensed theme!!! :thumbdown:
Is TLG going "license-crazy"?! :pir_wacko:

Isn't TLG's slogan "Just imagine"?!
Some licenses are ok. But when it comes to the point when the licensed themes are nearly as numerous as the unlicensed themes, this is bad.
Kids should use their imagination when playing with Lego - and not only replay scenes from movies.

The Pirates theme from 2009 was such a nice theme!
Why didn't TLG elaborate it or come back with a Pirates theme similar to it?!

Plus there are a lot of other historical themes which haven't been done before (Romans, Egypts) or which have been released already a long, long while ago (Western, Adventures). Why not releasing some of these themes?!

Klaus-Dieter

#108 JimBee

JimBee
  • Bubbler

Member: 2436

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:54 PM

Interesting. The figure looks like a mock-up custom to just serve the purpose of being a teaser, but I do think that there is a large possibility of PotC becoming a licensed theme. The Jack figure is kind of how I imagined it would look, just with a less-detailed hairpiece. I was hoping for something more along the lines of the elf hairpiece that we saw in the teaser for the Elf faction in Fantasy castle:

Posted Image

View PostOky Wan Kenobi, on 23 July 2010 - 07:19 AM, said:

Do you think we'll get a new, smaller compass piece? Or will it just be a printed 1x1 tile? How about new, more accurate guns? :sweet:
I hope not. I like it when Lego stays simple, and I think having the current guns is perfect. No complicated detailing or multi-colored pieces.Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image
Currently playing Hybros, 53-year-old male imp Chi Monk in the Heroica RPG

Currently playing Jerry Bergeron in Red Menace Mafia
Stats | Bio

#109 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose

Member: 822

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

As ambassador of Classic-Pirates.com I'm very happy seeing this little Jack Sparrow minifig  :pir-sweet:

After I saw this minifig this morning I've been dreaming about the new parts, sets and figs all day. These movies contain so much locations, ships, ... so they'll serve as an excellent source of inspiration for the LEGO designers. Maybe a license was what Pirates needed to get some fresh idea's and parts for our beloved theme. I for one don't care about the PoTC movies, they are not my cup of tea, however I feel the same about Prince of Persia (the game and movie) and yet I love the PoP LEGO sets and the awesome parts that came along with them.

Seeing these PoTC rumors I'm happy we as a community provided LEGO our input on Pirate part requests and the Classic-Pirates.com Report for The Future of LEGO Pirates. Let's hope the designers work on the new sets with our feedback in their minds!

What an exiting day this is for us Pirate fans!

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#110 Legorski

Legorski

Member: 8804

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

Well I'm so happy, I don't know what to type.
Yay!  :pir-sweet:
Legorski,

#111 Dreamweb

Dreamweb
  • Thanks for your contributions!

Member: 396

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

View PostMister Phes, on 23 July 2010 - 07:54 PM, said:

So yes, I did indeed intrepret Cpt. Dan's as intended and my response is still along the lines of "eventually a Pirates of the Caribbean theme will come to an end and the LEGO Group will return to classic pirate sets"

Yes, I understand. However, it's really hard to tell how much time it will take between discontinuing POTC and releasing new non-licensed Pirates. Somehow I doubt that the LEGO Group will do it immediately after POTC theme ends - they might be afraid some customers might get confused. I think there will have to be a break between POTC and classic-like pirates, that is if they return to non-licensed pirates at all. But as I stated earlier, it's too early to speculate, as we don't even have POTC sets yet.  :pir-classic:

Edited by Dreamweb, 23 July 2010 - 09:06 PM.

#112 Raphy

Raphy

Member: 5062

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:08 PM

View PostTycho McKorley, on 23 July 2010 - 06:20 PM, said:

PotC finished its trilogy years ago and I'd think that Lego would want to have sets out when the movie could boost sales.

Well, actually, they are preparing a fourth film..... "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides", so yes, there is a reason for LEGO to release a Pirates of the Caribbean theme..... :D That said, I'll try to envision the sets. I think there'll probably be sets from all three films (and even the fourth one, perhaps, who knows - Prince of Persia LEGO sets were released before the movies' official release date!), like Indiana Jones, I think this will probably have more than one wave. Anyways..... here are some ideas

/sits down on pillow cross-legged between scented candles and closes eyes

Tia Dalma's Hut - $19.99 - Tia Dalma, Jack, Pintel, Ragetti, Will, Elizabeth, Gibbs and monkey minifigs

Duel at the Bell Tower - $24.99 - Jack, Norrington and Will minifigs

The Black Pearl - $89.99 - Jack, Will, Elizabeth, Pintel, Ragetti, Barbossa, Gibbs, monkey and Bootstrap Bill minifigs

(By the way, I'm hoping for a new monkey mold! The current one would be too big :P)

Edited by Raphy, 23 July 2010 - 09:08 PM.

#113 M'Kyuun

M'Kyuun

Member: 379

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

View Postlightningtiger, on 23 July 2010 - 06:37 AM, said:

Interesting find ! :oh3:
Now what next eh ?
TRON ?
I guess we will have to wait and see eh ?
Keep on bricking ! :sweet:

from your lips to TLG's ears.  While the fig looks good, and PoTC would sell well, that ship has sailed (pun intended). I'd personally have preferred TLG continue making their own line of Pirates...there's more freedom for the designers.

Tron is the next big movie from Disney, and I think it packs more potential than, say, Speed Racer. Tron figs, if done well with glow in the dark circuit patterns, and an assortment of vehicles from the old and new movies, esp the light cycles, would all sell well I think. I was hoping a Tron fig would be revealed. Jack's cool, Tron would have been better.

#114 Oky

Oky
  • I am O-ky, English-German relations

Member: 2028

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

View PostJimButcher, on 23 July 2010 - 08:54 PM, said:

I hope not. I like it when Lego stays simple, and I think having the current guns is perfect. No complicated detailing or multi-colored pieces.Posted Image
Yeah, you're probably right. But maybe we'll at least get the guns in some nice metallic color! :pir-sweet:

Do you think Jack has a double sided face? If so, what will the other side be; a serious face or a funny scared face? It would seem plausible since most of his head is covered and he can't even normally turn it.

#115 Pellaeon

Pellaeon

Member: 5547

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:30 PM

View PostSwash Buckler, on 23 July 2010 - 09:52 AM, said:

I fear that Davy Jones will not be made- he is not in 4th pirates i believe... but we'll pretty definitely get Barbossa, Gibbs and Blackbeard... and Penelope Cruz in lego :pir_laugh2: But i hope they'll release sets from all movies and i really want to see Davy Jones with rubbery face and removable scissor hand and crab leg :pir-classic: but i afraid there is no way to make skeletonpirates from COTBP....
I'm hoping POTC will get the Toy Story treatment -- a bunch of sets based on the earlier films in January, and then sets based on the new movie around April or May. If the Toy Story line gets cut back or discontinued next year (along with POP), then I definitely expect POTC to be filling the void.

View PostFugazi, on 23 July 2010 - 10:03 AM, said:

cons:
- license premium: likely more expensive than comparable Pirate sets
I think this remains to be seen. The Prince of Persia sets were very aggressively priced, while the Toy Story sets were not.  But with the exception of the Target exclusive Pizza Delivery Truck, I don't think any of the Disney licensed sets have had as much of a markup as we see on the Star Wars sets.
Pellaeon
Select works:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#116 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Member: 273

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:46 PM

View PostDreamweb, on 23 July 2010 - 09:05 PM, said:

Yes, I understand. However, it's really hard to tell how much time it will take between discontinuing POTC and releasing new non-licensed Pirates.
That's why I revised my statement to say "eventually" rather than "a few years" :pir-classic:

Posted Image

#117 Zzz

Zzz
  • Flick-fires the hell out of aliens!

Member: 1281

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:18 PM

oh, we will see. Some more pics of the comic con hopefully, that's what I am more interested now. Or was it just a teaser TLC is going to give us here.

(Doesn't this go to licenced themes actually?)
"I am Iron Man."  -  "I am Groot!"  -  "I am Batman!"

#118 Algernon

Algernon
  • Not a Doofus

Member: 2558

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:51 PM

I would be totally on-board for a POTC theme. The figs alone would be worth it.

#119 Destroydacre

Destroydacre

Member: 6646

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:41 PM

View PostKlaus-Dieter, on 23 July 2010 - 08:42 PM, said:

Thank you very much for this information, Oswald the Rabbit! :pir-classic:

No, not again another licensed theme!!! :thumbdown:
Is TLG going "license-crazy"?! :pir_wacko:

Isn't TLG's slogan "Just imagine"?!
Some licenses are ok. But when it comes to the point when the licensed themes are nearly as numerous as the unlicensed themes, this is bad.
Kids should use their imagination when playing with Lego - and not only replay scenes from movies.

The Pirates theme from 2009 was such a nice theme!
Why didn't TLG elaborate it or come back with a Pirates theme similar to it?!

Plus there are a lot of other historical themes which haven't been done before (Romans, Egypts) or which have been released already a long, long while ago (Western, Adventures). Why not releasing some of these themes?!

Klaus-Dieter

I agree, however money rules and I suspect a POTC license will bring in a lot of money. I will not be buying one POTC set, but I get the feeling I'll be in the minority there.

#120 Dunjohn

Dunjohn
  • EB Boardgames Reviewer

Member: 7364

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

View PostOky Wan Kenobi, on 23 July 2010 - 09:20 PM, said:

Yeah, you're probably right. But maybe we'll at least get the guns in some nice metallic color! :pir-sweet:

Do you think Jack has a double sided face? If so, what will the other side be; a serious face or a funny scared face? It would seem plausible since most of his head is covered and he can't even normally turn it.
Unfortunately, Johnny Depp uses his eyes for a huge percentage of Captain Jack's most memorable expressions - squinty interrogative looks, creepy expressionless wide-eyed looks, deep puppy-dog stares... none of these can be captured by Lego's simple black dots. If his head is double-printed, it'll probably just be the usual determined frown look. That said, Prince Dastan only ever had one facial expression, and he's one of the few licensed male characters with the hair to hide a double print.
On the stalls on market day,
You might hear little voices say....

Collectable Minifigures Trading List

#121 Batbrick

Batbrick
  • I'm back ...with a banana

Member: 1917

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:56 AM

Well I'm all for it. Not necessarily because I love the POTC franchise (I only like Black Pearl, I think the rest are rubbish), but because like most licensed themes this could give me a variety of fleshie figgs, parts, colours, accessories that will be perfect for my creations!

That is assuming this is a full theme though.

Batbrick Away!  :pir-devil:
And see and comment on KDog's hilarious Space Comic here:
Posted Image
Click on pic to see and comment now!  And please add this ad to your sig so more people can see this fantastic work!

Batbrick Away!

#122 just2good

just2good
  • Bothan Spy #8

Member: 4916

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:15 AM

Wow. That was quick. Earlier today, I saw it only was up to page 2. :pir-laugh:
I really like the Capt. Jack Sparrow minifigure. Mostly because of it's hair/hat. Can't wait til' the sets come out. :pir-cry_happy:

#123 hewkii9

hewkii9
  • Can't figure out a sigfig!

Member: 618

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:32 AM

View Postlightningtiger, on 23 July 2010 - 06:37 AM, said:

Now what next eh ?
TRON ?
I guess we will have to wait and see eh ?
Oh, pretty please, Lego? Tron? [maybe a Daft Punk guy or two for good measure?]

My Brickshelf - My Flickr

I was Amelia Warhog in Mafstraw Manor, Christopher Wilder in Prohibition Mafia, one half of Rocky Broomwell in Hogwarts Mafia, and Hans Keen in Eurodina!

#124 Oky

Oky
  • I am O-ky, English-German relations

Member: 2028

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:50 AM

Guys, forget about TRON! Not only is this the wrong place to discuss this, but also the movie comes out in a couple of months and we don't have any sign of there being any sets for it. We would have heard or seen something by now.

#125 Bfahome

Bfahome
  • Finding extras at 110% efficiency

Member: 3802

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:08 AM

So… is there only a picture of the minifig so far?  If so then I'm skeptical (but hopeful).

(I just skimmed through the topic so I might have missed something.)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links