Sign in to follow this  
hga09

Black Kitten

5571 "Black Cat" is considered to be the best ever Lego Model Team, and one of the best large Lego models of all time. It is quite popular among AFOLs and even used 5571 sets in good condition sell for very expensive prices.

Since this model uses some special Lego parts (doors, wheels, windshield, etc.) it is not practical to build it as a MoC at the true scale. I wondered if it may be possible to replicate the look and feel of 5571 at a smaller scale using more common parts and this is what I came up with:

5442347503_712cb6ddb0_z.jpg

Because it is roughly half the size of the original Black Cat, I named it the "Black Kitten". However, the only animal that kind of fits the top of the radiator at this scale is the frog, so maybe it should be called the "Black Frog"? :laugh:

5442952734_4d3ed11fe2_z.jpg

There is no need for the fabuland shovel at this scale, the the ubiquitous minifig shovel fits perfectly:

5442348211_7af9eb4300_z.jpg

Fake diesel V8 under the hood:

5442378965_41465decc4_z.jpg

Adjustable recline for driver's seat, and minifig size bed in the sleeper cabin:

5442348863_cf5e17ffa2_z.jpg

Yes, the coffee cup and the reading light are still there as well...

LDD model can be downloaded at: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/252344

Edited by hga09

Very impressive LDD MOC hga09! I really like the concept of downsizing the classic "Black Cat" into a more affordable version, and that "Black Kitten" name is quite clever I must say. What's amazing with this design is that you were still able to keep the original details even in this smaller version. And thank you for sharing the LXF, I added this to our Index. Excellent work once again! :thumbup:

Good job! Do the wheels steer? Nice touch with the frog on hood :classic: .

Front wheels can be "steered" for posing purposes, but it does not have HoG steering. I am pretty sure I can add this when I actually build it with real parts, I ran into some LDD problems with steering rack implementation...

Edited by hga09