Black Kitten

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hga09

hga09

Member: 9812

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:20 PM

5571 "Black Cat" is considered to be the best ever Lego Model Team, and one of the best large Lego models of all time. It is quite popular among AFOLs and even used 5571 sets in good condition sell for very expensive prices.

Since this model uses some special Lego parts (doors, wheels, windshield, etc.) it is not practical to build it as a MoC at the true scale. I wondered if it may be possible to replicate the look and feel of 5571 at a smaller scale using more common parts and this is what I came up with:

Posted Image

Because it is roughly half the size of the original Black Cat, I named it the "Black Kitten". However, the only animal that kind of fits the top of the radiator at this scale is the frog, so maybe it should be called the "Black Frog"? :laugh:

Posted Image

There is no need for the fabuland shovel at this scale, the the ubiquitous minifig shovel fits perfectly:

Posted Image

Fake diesel V8 under the hood:

Posted Image

Adjustable recline for driver's seat, and minifig size bed in the sleeper cabin:

Posted Image

Yes, the coffee cup and the reading light are still there as well...

LDD model can be downloaded at: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/252344

Edited by hga09, 14 February 2011 - 12:22 AM.

#2 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Member: 5203

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:01 AM

Very impressive LDD MOC hga09! I really like the concept of downsizing the classic "Black Cat" into a more affordable version, and that "Black Kitten" name is quite clever I must say. What's amazing with this design is that you were still able to keep the original details even in this smaller version. And thank you for sharing the LXF, I added this to our Index. Excellent work once again! :thumbup:

NEW! Legends of Chima Review: 70008 - Gorzan's Gorilla Striker

Posted Image

Currently playing as the Sheriff Kenneth Emanuel in Tamamono's Silver City Mafia

My Eurobricks Page / My flickr / My MOCpages

#3 Zblj

Zblj

Member: 7054

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:52 PM

Good job! Do the wheels steer? Nice touch with the frog on hood  :classic: .
Never say never!
MY YOUTUBE
Posted Image

WINNER OF 2010 TECHNIC CHALLENGE
TOP 100 OF 2013 TECHNIC CHALLENGE
OWNER OF THE LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE 41999 MODEL
Posted Image

#4 hga09

hga09

Member: 9812

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

View PostZblj, on 15 February 2011 - 03:52 PM, said:

Good job! Do the wheels steer? Nice touch with the frog on hood :classic: .

Front wheels can be "steered" for posing purposes, but it does not have HoG steering. I am pretty sure I can add this when I actually build it with real parts, I ran into some LDD problems with steering rack implementation...

Edited by hga09, 15 February 2011 - 06:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users