Sign in to follow this  
KristofBD

MOC: 'Trouble is brewing'

indexed.gif

As part of my project to build a medieval village, I decided to build a luxurious tavern.

The story behind the tavern is the following:

Based on a hillside at the border of the town, Tavern "The Dancing Dagger" is a hideout for restless noblemen and traveling merchants. This time a Princess and her royal guard have arrived. The princess is walking to her room, unaware of trouble to come. A band of rogue soldiers is on its way to the tavern and they mean no good.

Trouble is brewing in tavern "The Dancing Dagger"...

The rogue knights are approaching.

img_0551.jpg

An overview shot.

img_0553.jpg

What I like most about buildings are their interiors, hence I devoted a lot of attention to the interior parts of the building. A shot of the backside of the tavern:

img_0537.jpg

The guard is unaware of trouble to come. He's drinking beer (or is it hot chocolate?) and already has two more pints coming. Not the perfect preparation...

img_0567.jpg

All in all, this MOC benefited heavily from the excellent pieces available in the Prince of Persia Market set. The tavern has a cellar that can be entered through these stairs (based on the PoP set):

img_0539.jpg

The Princess' lounge:

img_0544.jpg

And lastly, life goes on for ordinary peasants - whatever happens. I included a very happy fisherman. But perhaps he's cheering too early, as a naughty cat is about to steal his fish...

img_0549.jpg

A technical note about this last one: I used the open-studded white round piece for the fisherman's equipment, and combined it with the accessories from the collectible minifig's fisherman.

A second technical note: I really liked the elf. Not for his head or ears, but for his torso and excellent equipment. Based on two elf-figures and one dragon I made this band of rogue soldiers.

I added two more pictures of the rogue soldiers:

img_0568.jpg

img_0569.jpg

More pictures can be found in the Brickshelf-folder (when public): http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=459320

Comments and feedback are more than welcome!

Edited by I Scream Clone

Hi,

this is a very beauty tavern. Many details, good structure and a beauty lady.

Top! :thumbup:

We want see more. :sweet:

Lovely MOC. I love all the details like the bed, wooden bath and the staircase/trapdoor to the cellar. It looks excellent. Well done!

Thanks for these comments elander and Gregorovich! I added two more pictures of the rogue soldiers. I found the reddish Viking head very fitting for the elf torso. Similarly, I think the silver helmets do very well with the torso. The only thing I am still not sure about is the visored helmet. Opened it looks quite good, but if you close it, it is a bit too big. Any suggestions?

Regarding the details, I find it one of the nicest things to do. Especially adding brick-built accessories that are not just one molded piece are nice to do.

Best, Kris

Excellent creation KristofBD! I particularly like the external design which is truly medieval-looking with the nice combination of the tan and brown walls with the black roof, and the use of those PoP arches is really a nice detail. The multi-level interiors are very well done too. :thumbup:

Very nice work here, I like this better than the MMV Tavern :wub:

All the details are really nice. I also like the elf, but not for being an elf, great torso and leg print and equipment.

:grin:

How did I miss this five months or so ago, an excellent tavern - love the trap door in front of the keg ! :laugh::devil:

I must keep a better lookout in the historic pages here eh ? :blush:

Great work 'KristofBD' and Brick On....oh, yeah Drink Up as well ! :laugh:

Looks great! I feel like the only way to pump it up one more notch would be to tile the floors. The exterior details are excellent; the roof-slope shaping is very nice. Great build!