• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Retired

Member: 359

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:23 PM

Well, here it is!

Sorry for the delay but it took some time taking the pictures and sorting them.

The set is a real beauty and was lots of fun to build. But check for yourself. As with the Heavy Loader review I've split it in two. Enjoy :-)

The box again is the same crappy "design" as all new bigger boxes. That means you have to tear it on the sides to open it. It does have a flip top but that's for a diorama of the set. The back side again shows almost all the sets of the same theme, in this case "Construction". And I must say, this sub-theme really has evolved nicely.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

On the left half of back side you also see the bags for the different modules and what pieces they hold. This is not entirely accurate, though. Some bags are numbered and hold pieces for the respective modules, but there are also unnumbered bags that hold pieces that are needed almost anywhere during building. It's not a problem since there are very distinguishable pieces in that set.

The DSS ( xwingyoda) with this set isn't all that dreaded, although I can't have enough of those yellow-black stickers ;-)

Posted Image

This set comes with 3 minifigs, all of them of the new construction worker sort. I guess you can safely say that the guy with the blue torso is the crane operator. Maybe one or two more wouldn't have been amiss, but these days you have to be happy with what you get - and the mobile crane was a set of similar size and came with two minifigs.

Posted Image

The set has two instruction manuals, one for the "accessories" and one for the crane. The front picture of the accessories manual must be one of the funniest product pictures LEGO has produced: I'm talking about the guy with the toilet paper in his hand. The first time I saw it I was literally ROFL - and it still cracks me up when I see it :-)

Posted Image

The first thing you assemble are the barriers and lanterns. Easy, yet effective - I like that kinda stuff ;-)

Posted Image

Then comes the part I anticipated most: the mobile toilet. Since I first saw pictures of it I wondered how they designed it. And I must say, it's a fun and "smart" mini set. The toilet is made of a back-pack and a life-saver. Pretty neat idea. The door is a train door, the walls hold 3x4 panels which give it the "plastic-box"-like look. The sticker's also a nice add-on.

Posted Image Posted Image

Next comes the foreman container (at least I think that's what it is). Also a pretty easy, yet effective build, with a nice interior. It, too, uses a train door and panels which make for the container look.

Here's a panorama shot of what a construction site could look like. Now, all that's missing is the crane.

Posted Image

Now for the most important part of this set: the crane. Not hard to notice it's a tower crane. It's made of 4 modules, all of which are in one manual. On the last page of the manual there's an inventory again.

First comes the base. It uses a few Technic bricks and very few pins, and is a straight-forward, yet fun and easy build. It's not too much Technic and enough basics so you actually see the module "grow". One thing you already notice without having built anything from the actual tower yet: this set's gonna be big...

After the base comes the tower. It's not really spectacular to build but again uses a few special bricks put together so they look cool. It consists of 4 tower modules, one sort of stabilizer boom that connets to the tower structure with Technic axles, and 4 ladders. The tower connects dead center with the base.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Next comes the cabin. Here I noticed that the seat doesn't have the "dent" in the middle like those from the Heavy Loader. Weird... The cabin sits on a platform which connects to the tower with a Technic axle. It also houses the cable winch on the back side. The turntable is the big one that we also see in the mobile crane and a few Technic sets. You have to turn it with your hands, though, there is no mechanism to do it by a winch or something. What I found odd was that the cable actually goes "through" the cabin (right underneath the ceiling). It's no big deal but I think that would look strange in reality ;-)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

All that's left now is the boom. The boom itself is a pretty straight-forward build. It uses tiles on the top side on which the sliding carriage runs back and forth (again you have to do this by hand, no winch mechanism here, either). The sliding carriage is completely made of Technic pieces. The top piece that slides on the tiles is actually a rubber piece which I haven't seen before. It can hold standard Technic axles but can be "twisted". That makes for the triangular form. The crane hook is all Technic, too. The hook itself turns 360 degrees thanks to its ball-shaped head that's held between two small Technic pins.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

On the short arm side of the boom there's an extension that holds the counterweight. This is actually really a weight, a 12V train weight to be precise!

Posted Image

So they still produce those...

Connect the boom to the cabin and - voila - you have a tower crane! For comparison I've made a picture with the Heavy Loader.

Summary: this thing is HUGE! But it's one of the best City sets that LEGO has produced lately. I couldn't wait to get it as soon as I saw the first pic and I wasn't disappointed. It's fun to build, it looks terrific, and it has MOCing possibilities (oil rig anyone?). Maybe a few more winch mechanisms for the cabin and the sliding carriage would have been nice but that's something you can add yourself (even I could manage that, I think). The accessories could make a nice seperate set, though. I picture a single construction set containing one or maybe two minifigs, one barrier and one container (toilet or foreman). That would make a nice "Construction Army" builder set ;-)

#2 oo7

oo7

• Master Carpenter

Member: 788

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:41 PM

Wow, great review and pics! This set looks AWESOME!!! Overall very realistic looking and the porta-potty thing & foreman's modular make a very good touch.I agree the man holding the toilet paper does look very silly although it looks like there is nowhere to put it inside the stall.
Also, how much does this sell for?
Posted Image

#3 Vader

Vader

Member: 83

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:49 PM

Hobbes i have to say that this is one of the very best reviews that i have ever seen, your words are perfect combined with those fantastic pictures............now im off to read it again :-)

#4 xwingyoda

xwingyoda

Member: 255

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:53 PM

Tks sooooo much for this great review Hobbes  8-  *y*  Reading your reviews is always a pleasure  *sweet*

Actually, I was really waiting for the text since I saw your BS gallery earlier on hehe  ;-) !!!

I really LOVE this set, and your review makes me want to get it even more (if that was possible  :-P ).

First off, the toilets are freaking amazing  *wub*  Way to go Lego !! I love the amount of details on the bathroom, its amazing hehe: it even has a lever to flush it  :-D
And now I understand why there is a guy with a toilet roll outside, there are NO toilet paper roll inside the bathroom so its really an emergency (ROFL  :-D   :-P ). This really cracks me up BIG time !! Its the first time (at least as far as I can remember) that Lego did some humour in their sets  !!

I really agree with you, they should have issued that firts "pack" Individually as a separate set  |-/  It would have been great to have two of each hehe !!

The crane looks really massive  8-  I can't wait for one to decorate my desk hehe
The design is really impressive and the colour is nice !! Its really massive next to the other construction sets hehe !!

Two  *y*  for this great review and a special  ;-)  for using my term of DSS  :'-)  ;-)

*yoda*

#5 Athos

Athos

• Sloppiness Seeker

Member: 84

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:54 AM

Wow, I must say I am impressed with the port-a-pottie. I think this may be a first, a mini-fig scale toilet. And it is quite well done... Does it come with some brown 1 x 1 round plate pieces?  8-

Steve

#6 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Retired

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:25 AM

Thanks everybody  *sweet*

@oo7: I got it for 51.99 Euro + shipping off ebay. It's gotten a bit cheaper, even, there's sets for 49.99 available at the moment (ebay.de). Watch the shipping costs, though, they can be pretty high.

@Athos: There's some MOCing possibility ;-)

#7 rhymer

rhymer

• Way too Blurry !!

Member: 736

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:35 AM

Can you take a pic of it next to the new Slave 1 or the Sail Barge?
My Brickshelf

Lets thank jonfett for letting me use his General Grievous avatar.

Posted Image
As Takua, you are very adventurous and can be reckless and irresponsible at times, but inside you know you have what it takes be a hero.

#8 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Retired

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:37 AM

View Postrhymer, on Jun 3 2006, 08:35 AM, said:

Can you take a pic of it next to the new Slave 1 or the Sail Barge?
Nope, I don't have any Star Wars sets. Sorry...

But here's two pics of it in my (not finished) layout where you can compare it to sets like the BSB, the XXL mobile crane (which I'd put at XL tops here) and other sets:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Norro

Norro

• Writer & Director and Old Grey fetishist

Member: 315

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:57 AM

View PostHobbes, on Jun 3 2006, 08:37 AM, said:

But here's two pics of it in my (not finished) layout where you can compare it to sets like the BSB, the XXL mobile crane (which I'd put at XL tops here) and other sets:

Wow! There is quite a lot there I would like to get my hands on  ;-) ! And great review by the way!

God Bless,

Nathan
Posted Image

#10 sam89

sam89

• The Calm Voice

Member: 13

Posted 03 June 2006 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for the excellent review, Hobbes. I really like the look of this set, and I'm tempted to get it. But I probably won't, since I want to save my money for other things.

#11 alex54

alex54

• CC reducer, city expander

Member: 560

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:49 PM

very good review! I really want it! I can't wait to see it in a toy shop, so I will buy it on sah when I will have my salary from GTM (a french construction company)! Build power!

Posted Image                        Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#12 TrainTrack

TrainTrack

Member: 663

Posted 04 June 2006 - 06:22 PM

Yeah, really cool, I requested this like 2 days before so I'm so happy LOL.

Anyway, can it lift train coaches. Try a 4561 coach if you have it. I was interested in transporting coaches with the heavy loader and the transfering using this crane.

#13 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Retired

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:25 AM

View PostTrainTrack, on Jun 4 2006, 07:22 PM, said:

Anyway, can it lift train coaches. Try a 4561 coach if you have it. I was interested in transporting coaches with the heavy loader and the transfering using this crane.
I don't have that particular coach, but as you can see in the second picture of my layout it can lift the 7044 Rescue Chopper which has considerable weight. Unless you try the quite heavy Santa Fe cars I don't think it'll have any problems lifting train coaches. Maybe a second counterweight might help. But then I would exchange the two black Technic axles that hold the weight with Technic bricks/breams cos the axles will surely bend with more weight (they do slightly with the one weight already).

I'll try one of my coaches, though, cos I'm interested in the weight limit myself.

#14 ReZourceman

ReZourceman

Member: 789

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:28 PM

View PostAthos, on Jun 3 2006, 07:54 AM, said:

Does it come with some brown 1 x 1 round plate pieces?  8-

Steve

LOL!

Great review dude.  *y*
My flickr account is at www.flickr.com/ReZourceman Check it out!

#15 Freddie

Freddie

Member: 670

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:44 PM

I bought this set myself today, and I must say that I agree with just about everything in the review above. Sitting at same height as my elbows at my desk, I actually find myself looking up to the control cabin. It's a surprisingly huge set for its cost. It also has that "WOW"-factor which not a lot of LEGO-sets can credit themselves with.

I'm not taking this one apart, that's for sure.

#16 Kikuichimonji

Kikuichimonji

• Clikits Beauty Queen

Member: 297

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:46 PM

Not something I would buy, but man, does it look impressive. The toilet has to be one of the best things Lego designed lately!
"I do not know with what kind of weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones"
- Albert Einstein -

My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Weblog

Posted Image

#17 5150 Lego

5150 Lego

• Has a ball of string and isn't afraid to use it

Member: 586

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:58 AM

View PostHobbes, on Jun 6 2006, 09:25 AM, said:

View PostTrainTrack, on Jun 4 2006, 07:22 PM, said:

I don't have that particular coach, but as you can see in the second picture of my layout it can lift the 7044 Rescue Chopper which has considerable weight. Unless you try the quite heavy Santa Fe cars I don't think it'll have any problems lifting train coaches. Maybe a second counterweight might help. But then I would exchange the two black Technic axles that hold the weight with Technic bricks/breams cos the axles will surely bend with more weight (they do slightly with the one weight already).

I'll try one of my coaches, though, cos I'm interested in the weight limit myself.

Great review Hobbes! Posibly one of the best i've seen on these forums!  I bought this set on bricklink last week and built it a couple days ago.
As far as the wieght limit, i've found that its not a factor of the crane tipping over, but that the hook pops off. I haven't found a fix, other than switching it out with a techinc hook (the same that comes with 8464 mobile crane)  but i'm working on it. The best i've lifted has been the heavy loader bridge with the toilet on it. I'm going to add more counter weights, and a better hook and atempt to lift the dual pontoon race boat (sorry can't remeber the number ).  I know that might be stretching it a bit, but thats the heaviest i got the XXL mobile crane to lift without tipping over, so i want to see if i can match it just for fun. Other than that i have no complanits with this set!
Calm down... HAVE SOME DIP!

If at first you don't succeed,........ Then skydiving is not for you!

Check it out! www.emergencybricks.com

#18 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 09 June 2006 - 02:49 AM

Hobbes:  this is a very nice pic review.  Thank you for taking the time to share the images.  The detail is outstanding.  I esp. like the "port-a-potty".  After the last few construction sets, I was really disappointed.  This set seems to make up for it.  I may look in to buying this once available in the US.

#19 xenologer

xenologer

Member: 626

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:25 AM

Thanks for the review
Looks Great

after looking at your brickshelf photos....
I am seriously considering making this the most expensive set I ever purchase (how much is it USD$ btw?)

It looks like it has all the elements of a MOC Space Freighter or Space Construction Vehicle.
Plenty of yellow skeletal structural bricks
a operators controlroom that could easily convert to a pilots seat
readymade foremans module and toilet that could easily become sealed habitat modules on a spaceship.
yup, just tilt the tower onto it's side to make a cargo rack spine...add some engines...rearrange the base plates into some kind of wing structure...

#20 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Retired

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:52 PM

I received two more cranes last Friday I bought off ebay.

While building the port-a-potty something struck me as odd: is it just me or does anybody else find it strange, too, that the toilet actually has a window???

;-)

#21 oo7

oo7

• Master Carpenter

Member: 788

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:04 PM

View PostHobbes, on Jun 19 2006, 10:52 AM, said:

While building the port-a-potty something struck me as odd: is it just me or does anybody else find it strange, too, that the toilet actually has a window???

X-O OMG, your right! I didn't notice that in your pic (that has a false hyperlink) before, that's really silly of LEGO, and I thought the instuction booklet cover was hilarious before, now it looks insane! :-D
Posted Image

#22 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Retired

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:27 PM

View Postoo7, on Jun 20 2006, 07:04 PM, said:

X-O OMG, your right! I didn't notice that in your pic (that has a false hyperlink) before
And no one told me... it's corrected now  :-$

#23 alex54

alex54

• CC reducer, city expander

Member: 560

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:11 AM

I've got it! It is so wonderfull, my best set of this year! That's all ;-)

Posted Image                        Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users