Jump to content


8110 - Unimog U400 General Discussion


  • Please log in to reply
1175 replies to this topic

#1051 davidmull

davidmull

    Posts: 2095
    Joined: 07-December 10
    Member: 14572
    Country: Ireland

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:32 PM

View Postpaul_delahaye, on 21 October 2011 - 06:52 PM, said:

seriously cheap Unimogs, this weekend only at argos,

£15 off and then buy 2 get 1 free = £96 a MOG  :sweet:
Same offer in Ireland I see,also the mog here now is 179€ I payed 199€ 2 months ago ;)
I'm tempted to buy 2 unimogs and get on free ;) hmmm

Edited by davidmull, 21 October 2011 - 10:37 PM.


#1052 Doug72

Doug72

    Posts: 305
    Joined: 29-September 10
    Member: 13525
    Country: England

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:51 AM

View Postdavidmull, on 21 October 2011 - 10:32 PM, said:

Same offer in Ireland I see,also the mog here now is 179€ I payed 199€ 2 months ago ;)
I'm tempted to buy 2 unimogs and get on free ;) hmmm

£15 off is correct but 3 for 2 offer only applies on selected toys at Argos and does not aplly to the Unimog.
Check their website for details.

#1053 andyf

andyf

    Posts: 3
    Joined: 22-October 11
    Member: 21094

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:51 AM

View PostDoug72, on 22 October 2011 - 08:51 AM, said:

£15 off is correct but 3 for 2 offer only applies on selected toys at Argos and does not aplly to the Unimog.
Check their website for details.

Hi

First post on here... I have been lurking for a while but have joined as I couldn't keep my fingers off my wallet this morning. The Argos offer does apply to the Unimog - just bought three for £289.98  :laugh: Hopefully this will make a good start to my AFOL life  :wub:

None in Stock in Lewisham (South London) any more I'm afraid 'cos I had them away.

#1054 DLuders

DLuders

  • Technic Technician


    Posts: 5817
    Joined: 17-October 09
    Member: 7868
    Country: USA (WA State)

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:57 PM

robindaizg made this YouTube video of a nimble motorized Lego Technic 8110 Unimog U400 which is "Using 7 PF [Power Functions] M-motors, 1 PF XL motor, 1 PF battery box, 4 PF RC Receivers, 3 Pneumatic Pumps Small (6L), & 3 Pneumatic Switches with Top Studs. Total weight about 2600 g."



#1055 Concept

Concept

    Posts: 139
    Joined: 20-September 11
    Member: 20546
    Country: Australia

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:16 AM

View PostDLuders, on 22 October 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

robindaizg made this YouTube video of a nimble motorized Lego Technic 8110 Unimog U400 which is "Using 7 PF [Power Functions] M-motors, 1 PF XL motor, 1 PF battery box, 4 PF RC Receivers, 3 Pneumatic Pumps Small (6L), & 3 Pneumatic Switches with Top Studs. Total weight about 2600 g."

Thats quite amazing having all of those functions off the RC. Time and patience :)

Edited by Concept, 31 October 2011 - 01:16 AM.


#1056 davidmull

davidmull

    Posts: 2095
    Joined: 07-December 10
    Member: 14572
    Country: Ireland

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:08 AM

View PostDLuders, on 22 October 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

robindaizg made this YouTube video of a nimble motorized Lego Technic 8110 Unimog U400 which is "Using 7 PF [Power Functions] M-motors, 1 PF XL motor, 1 PF battery box, 4 PF RC Receivers, 3 Pneumatic Pumps Small (6L), & 3 Pneumatic Switches with Top Studs. Total weight about 2600 g."


This is amazing , How did he make the pneumatics rc?Where would I get more info on this moc?

Edited by davidmull, 03 November 2011 - 01:09 AM.


#1057 DLuders

DLuders

  • Technic Technician


    Posts: 5817
    Joined: 17-October 09
    Member: 7868
    Country: USA (WA State)

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:48 AM

View Postdavidmull, on 03 November 2011 - 01:08 AM, said:

Where would I get more info on this moc?

Robin has not yet added it to his Korean website.  I used Yahoo!Babelfish to translate it from Korean to English.  Maybe he will add details in the near future....

#1058 Darth Dino

Darth Dino

  • Vigilant Spam Zapper


    Posts: 633
    Joined: 13-August 11
    Member: 19736
    Country: Germany

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:32 AM

Hi

i have a question regarding the 8110s wheels:

I am highly interested in them without feeling the need to purchase one or two sets. I have seen the fitting for the rims is with Unimogs unique parts but with three pin connectors. Are the wheels plus the black rims compatible with the fittings of the 8466er Offroader? I have actually 8 sets of its fittings to connect 8 wheels. I am intersted to build a large wheeled crane (larger as the 8241) with the Unimogs tires as base. But if the wheels only fit on its own fittings i have to think about purchasing two 8110 sets. Acually i could get 8 wheels plus 8 rims for ~80€.

Dino
The difference of men and boys is the price of their toys.

#1059 Jim

Jim

  • Staring at favicons


    Posts: 6436
    Joined: 27-July 11
    Member: 19306
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:37 AM

View PostDarth Dino, on 03 November 2011 - 09:32 AM, said:

Hi

i have a question regarding the 8110s wheels:

I am highly interested in them without feeling the need to purchase one or two sets. I have seen the fitting for the rims is with Unimogs unique parts but with three pin connectors. Are the wheels plus the black rims compatible with the fittings of the 8466er Offroader? I have actually 8 sets of its fittings to connect 8 wheels. I am intersted to build a large wheeled crane (larger as the 8241) with the Unimogs tires as base. But if the wheels only fit on its own fittings i have to think about purchasing two 8110 sets. Acually i could get 8 wheels plus 8 rims for ~80€.

Dino
Hi Dino,

Edit: Excuse me; you were asking about the fittings. The fittings are compatible.

The rims are NOT compatible with the 8466 offroader. They are too wide.

They are compatible with the 8070 supercar and several other models.
http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=44772

However, they do fit other steering gear ball joints, like
http://www.bricklink...m.asp?P=x873c01


Edited by Gekke Ted, 03 November 2011 - 09:38 AM.


#1060 Darth Dino

Darth Dino

  • Vigilant Spam Zapper


    Posts: 633
    Joined: 13-August 11
    Member: 19736
    Country: Germany

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

Hi

Thank you Gekke.

Yes, i know the rims of the Offroader and the Unimogs are quite differnt. But i had to know if i also have to purchase not only rims and tires of the Unimog but also the full wheel fitting maybe plus suspension. Now i will use the 8x fittings and suspension of the Offroader.

Dino
The difference of men and boys is the price of their toys.

#1061 Jim

Jim

  • Staring at favicons


    Posts: 6436
    Joined: 27-July 11
    Member: 19306
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

View PostDarth Dino, on 03 November 2011 - 04:20 PM, said:

Hi

Thank you Gekke.

Yes, i know the rims of the Offroader and the Unimogs are quite differnt. But i had to know if i also have to purchase not only rims and tires of the Unimog but also the full wheel fitting maybe plus suspension. Now i will use the 8x fittings and suspension of the Offroader.

Dino
That won't be a problem!! Posted Image

I have fitted the Unimog wheels to the 8466 offroader. Looks pretty cool!

Edited by Gekke Ted, 03 November 2011 - 04:29 PM.


#1062 Darth Dino

Darth Dino

  • Vigilant Spam Zapper


    Posts: 633
    Joined: 13-August 11
    Member: 19736
    Country: Germany

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

View PostGekke Ted, on 03 November 2011 - 04:28 PM, said:



I have fitted the Unimog wheels to the 8466 offroader. Looks pretty cool!

Hi

WE do not believe you! So WE will need an image :D

Dino
The difference of men and boys is the price of their toys.

#1063 davidmull

davidmull

    Posts: 2095
    Joined: 07-December 10
    Member: 14572
    Country: Ireland

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:16 AM

View PostGekke Ted, on 03 November 2011 - 04:28 PM, said:

That won't be a problem!! Posted Image

I have fitted the Unimog wheels to the 8466 offroader. Looks pretty cool!
Why bother?8466 wheels are so much better,will 8466 wheels fit the unimog?im still looking for a set but there so darn expensive!

#1064 Bricktrain

Bricktrain

    Posts: 471
    Joined: 28-October 09
    Member: 7994
    Country: New Zealand

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:49 AM

View PostDarth Dino, on 03 November 2011 - 09:32 AM, said:

Hi

i have a question regarding the 8110s wheels:

I am highly interested in them without feeling the need to purchase one or two sets. I have seen the fitting for the rims is with Unimogs unique parts but with three pin connectors. Are the wheels plus the black rims compatible with the fittings of the 8466er Offroader? I have actually 8 sets of its fittings to connect 8 wheels. I am intersted to build a large wheeled crane (larger as the 8241) with the Unimogs tires as base. But if the wheels only fit on its own fittings i have to think about purchasing two 8110 sets. Acually i could get 8 wheels plus 8 rims for ~80€.

Dino

I am currently using them on the hubs from 8297, which are the same as 8466 except for the colour. I intended to use the mog hubs for my All terrain crane but they didnt work too well so went back to the older steering hubs. I ended up building a Rough terrain crane with the portal hubs with beam axles.

#1065 DLuders

DLuders

  • Technic Technician


    Posts: 5817
    Joined: 17-October 09
    Member: 7868
    Country: USA (WA State)

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

Over on TechnicBRICKS, Conchas is gathering questions to ask Markus Kossman, the designer of the Lego Technic Unimog U400 set.  If you respond there by December 2, 2011, it's your chance to ask something you'd always wanted to know about this flagship model!  

Posted Image  Posted Image

Edited by DLuders, 26 November 2011 - 02:54 PM.


#1066 davidmull

davidmull

    Posts: 2095
    Joined: 07-December 10
    Member: 14572
    Country: Ireland

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:18 PM

View PostDLuders, on 26 November 2011 - 02:53 PM, said:

Over on TechnicBRICKS, Conchas is gathering questions to ask Markus Kossman, the designer of the Lego Technic Unimog U400 set.  If you respond there by December 2, 2011, it's your chance to ask something you'd always wanted to know about this flagship model!  

Posted Image  Posted Image
This is great and I'll look forward to seeing the answers to some questions :)

#1067 davidmull

davidmull

    Posts: 2095
    Joined: 07-December 10
    Member: 14572
    Country: Ireland

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

View PostDLuders, on 26 November 2011 - 02:53 PM, said:

Over on TechnicBRICKS, Conchas is gathering questions to ask Markus Kossman, the designer of the Lego Technic Unimog U400 set.  If you respond there by December 2, 2011, it's your chance to ask something you'd always wanted to know about this flagship model!  

Posted Image  Posted Image
Luder do u know when we will get to view this interview? Or what date is he answering the questions?

#1068 DLuders

DLuders

  • Technic Technician


    Posts: 5817
    Joined: 17-October 09
    Member: 7868
    Country: USA (WA State)

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:11 AM

I don't know, but Conchas (from TechnicBRICKS) knows....   :wink:

#1069 Alasdair Ryan

Alasdair Ryan

  • Technic Hall of Fame Editor


    Posts: 6070
    Joined: 22-November 09
    Member: 8292
    Country: Scotland

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:08 AM

Well i got my unimog today but i ran into some trouble with 2 steps,i have now finished building it though :sweet:.
I don't know if there is an issue here or was it me.

Book 2 step 70:

I had to replace the newer universal joint with a older one as the axle was to short,i could of increased the axle instead.

Book 3 step 30:

I had to move the bonnet down to the next line of studs on the ' technic bricks with two pin holes' so it could fit properly.

I plan on motorizing it,who has made the best mod on how to do this and do they have instructions?
Posted Image

Updated 10/03/15
Posted Image

#1070 DLuders

DLuders

  • Technic Technician


    Posts: 5817
    Joined: 17-October 09
    Member: 7868
    Country: USA (WA State)

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:40 AM

@ Alasdair Ryan:  pcility has many photos of his fully-motorized 8110 Lego Technic Unimog U400 set on his Brickshelf gallery.  He posted a set of three YouTube videos about the conversion; I can only display two of them here.

VIDEO 1:



VIDEO 2 (shown below) and VIDEO 3 (which you'll have to view separately by clicking on the hyperlink):



#1071 andythenorth

andythenorth

    Posts: 934
    Joined: 02-June 10
    Member: 11102
    Country: UK

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:14 PM

Built the mog today.

Pros
It's awesome.
My toddler likes it.
Good possibilities for adding accessories.

Cons
Performance of the crane is not great.  Insanely slow rotation, poor control over the pneumatics (common for large pneumatic models).  I'll swap it for the snowplough.
Appalling turning circle.
Like many others I put the center diff in the wrong way round initially.  Seems easy to make that mistake.
There is one instructions page with a ruler for pneumatic tube where the ruler starts at 3cm.  Why?  Bonkers.

Meh / neutral
The offset front axle doesn't bother me.
No tipping rear body?  No drop sides on the rear body?  :devil:  (So I have to mod for those?)  :oh:
Size.  Big is fun, and it's impressive, but the steering is heavy and slow, and the model feels like it's pushing the limits on size.  
The mog is about as big as I'd want in a technic model (I've built bigger MOCs, they're unwieldy).
Cost.  It's a lot of money - but was worth it.  
I did plan to buy two and mod the second one, but I don't think I'll bother now.

Edited by andythenorth, 26 December 2011 - 11:20 PM.

Making stuff in plastic and pixels: https://www.flickr.c...s/andythenorth/
Traumatic events in the life of a lego fan: http://www.lugnet.co...traumaticevents

#1072 davidmull

davidmull

    Posts: 2095
    Joined: 07-December 10
    Member: 14572
    Country: Ireland

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:21 AM

View Postandythenorth, on 26 December 2011 - 11:14 PM, said:

Built the mog today.

Pros
It's awesome.
My toddler likes it.
Good possibilities for adding accessories.

Cons
Performance of the crane is not great.  Insanely slow rotation, poor control over the pneumatics (common for large pneumatic models).  I'll swap it for the snowplough.
Appalling turning circle.
Like many others I put the center diff in the wrong way round initially.  Seems easy to make that mistake.
There is one instructions page with a ruler for pneumatic tube where the ruler starts at 3cm.  Why?  Bonkers.

Meh / neutral
The offset front axle doesn't bother me.
No tipping rear body?  No drop sides on the rear body?  :devil:  (So I have to mod for those?)  :oh:
Size.  Big is fun, and it's impressive, but the steering is heavy and slow, and the model feels like it's pushing the limits on size.  
The mog is about as big as I'd want in a technic model (I've built bigger MOCs, they're unwieldy).
Cost.  It's a lot of money - but was worth it.  
I did plan to buy two and mod the second one, but I don't think I'll bother now.


This is a great model so no cons at all that I can see,the pneumatics works flawless too,u need to get used to controlling the switches and that's all in the fun of it,the crane is very realistic,
There's a mod for a sharper turning circle just pull the 4 stopper on the chassis ,also the rotation of the crane is ment to be slow like the real thing.

I hate seeing people give out about such a great model,this sets ranks in the top 5 of all time.

#1073 andythenorth

andythenorth

    Posts: 934
    Joined: 02-June 10
    Member: 11102
    Country: UK

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:36 AM

Ach.  The lego community is so weird.  Opinions seem to be either "TLG have rendered my entire collection worthless with some new colour / part / theme", or alternatively "TLG can do no wrong, and there must be no criticism".   :devil:

8110 has some minor flaws.  TLG are pushing how far Technic can go.   The flaws don't stop 8110 being a great set, but they're still flaws.  

The crane is lame imho - when compared to how epic the rest of the set is.  TLG keep including these knuckleboom cranes in sets.  They're fun and offer lots of functionality, but so far few of them actually perform well (try lifting something with them...).  The most playable one is the small crane in 8049 Log Loader.  http://www.brickset....ail/?set=8049-1

Creating a powerful smooth knuckleboom crane using Technic parts is a very hard problem, but one day TLG will figure out how to solve it - same as with 8043 they finally created an excavator that can actually dig.

For what it's worth, in 1992 the Airtech Claw Rig (which was a flagship of equivalent awesomeness to the mog) had a similar crane with the same control issues. http://www.brickset....ail/?set=8868-1

Edited by andythenorth, 27 December 2011 - 10:07 AM.

Making stuff in plastic and pixels: https://www.flickr.c...s/andythenorth/
Traumatic events in the life of a lego fan: http://www.lugnet.co...traumaticevents

#1074 allanp

allanp

    Posts: 2655
    Joined: 15-September 06
    Member: 961
    Country: UK

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

Well you now i'm partial to pointing out what I feel is wrong with Technic and one or two minor flaws I noticed with 8110 is the steering is not so good. They could have designed the steering better to cope with the weight and size of the Mog. Secondly, under heavy load whilst rotating the crane, the CV joint driving the rear PTO pops out of it's socket. I fixed it by placing a half bush on the shaft behind it, seems fine now. Apart from that it's all good, the pneumatics really do work great, easily outperforms my mates 8043 (with the newer LAs) and the 8258 which can't lift a wet fart! Of course it would be nice to have even more power, and for the crane of the unimog to have a greater range of movement so that it can fold up better *cough* longer pneumatics *cough* but as it is it works better that the previous two flagships by miles.

Edited by allanp, 27 December 2011 - 10:17 AM.

Even the best can be made better, but most important is to be excellent to each other and party on dudes!!!!!!

#1075 Paul B

Paul B

    Posts: 1638
    Joined: 01-November 09
    Member: 8056
    Country: Australia

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

Some photos on my blog:
launcestonlegotechnicbuilder.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/unimog-8110-pictures.html

Posted Image


Posted Image[





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users