Sign in to follow this  
CorneliusMurdock

Winter Break: Slug & Jiggers Apothecary

When Arsenius Jigger, author of Magical Draughts and Potions and Defence Against the Dark Arts, decided to open an Apothecary in Diagon Alley, he knew that he couldn't do it alone. Enter Remedios Slug, one of Jigger's oldest friends. Her business savvy perfectly balances the big picture thinking of Jigger. Together they make their apothecary a great success, even becoming one of the favorite places of great potioneers like alchemist Nicholas Flamel for purchasing rare and high quality ingredients.

5388989237_a6bdf38fc0.jpg

One side of the building.

5389594958_5fafd70ea4.jpg

The front of the apothecary.

5389592864_8ee57eb945_z.jpg

Remedios Slug helps a customer on the first floor while Arsenius Jigger begins down the stairs with a small vial of dragon's blood.

5389592312_a308372a93_z.jpg

Here noted alchemist Nicholas Flamel picks out some choice potion ingredients on the second floor.

5388987695_03181bbc9d_z.jpg

Here's the best picture I can get of the staircase without ripping the building apart.

Edited by CorneliusMurdock

I'm lovin' that spiral staircase! Your knack for building clean and good-looking buildings/structures is very evident on this entry Cornelius. Looking great so far, can't wait for the final product! :wink:

I love this building! Especially the stairs are truly amazing. That looks so much better that the standard brick-spiral-staircase! All the other details are nice too. Do I see a unicorn horn? :D

One thing, which isn't really important but... I think the MOC would look even better if you'd use a more uniform set of colors. Because now whe have green, light bley, brown, black, white, dark bley and tan (for floor) as main colors. However, I don't see an easy way to change it in this building, and I think you should let this one as it is!

Good luck in the competition. I think you also make high chances.

The final product shouldn't be too different. I probably will add some shoppers and tweak some small things.

Yeah, the staircase is one of the first things I decided on for this building. I got the idea from a MOC here on EB (I don't remember whose it was a while ago) and played around with it a while before getting it right. The problem is photographing it. It does look pretty good in real life.

As for the color scheme, I thought I did limit my color palette... I needed the black and white on the outside because not only was I running out of green, but I don't have some special bricks in green. For example, The white 1x1 nearest the second story window has a stud on one side and is the only thing holding the window in.

I do have an lxf file for this, too. I wanted to make sure I was under the piece limit so I built it in LDD as well. I was told, though, to wait for the end of the contest before posting it.

Looks great, i've actually started building the same thing for my entry. Whether or not i'll finish it is another matter but we have quite a different take on it which is good!

Excellent entry! The building is accurate and detailed. I particularly like the interior, especially the spiral staircase. :thumbup:

Extremely well done. :classic:

~buddy~

Lovely building, Cornelius Murdoch! The spiral staircase is especially beautiful, but everything looks fantastic too. I can't wait to see it finished. Good luck!

I updated the first post with finalized pictures. Thank you to everyone for their kind comments and suggestions.

One of the biggest changes was replacing all of the dark tan floor tiles with white. I didn't think I had enough when I first built it or I would have used them in the first place. After adding all of the furnishings, I realized I did have just enough. I also added the vine growing up one side of the building. I had intended on doing it from the beginning and finally got the time to add it. I was also unhappy with the front sidewalk so I repaved it.

The biggest change was the addition of the female shopper and Nicholas Flamel.

I did add a little history of the business as well. Rereading it, I think it would make a great sitcom. Get working on it now, Hollywood. :laugh: