Sign in to follow this  
mikey

Review: 3365 Space Moon Buggy

index2.jpg

I picked up the City Space Moon Buggy Impulse set today, it was priced at £3.99, from Smyths Toys. The set does not yet have a BrickLink page, so I can't really say how many parts you get or link the inventory!

First the picture of the box:

5354479842_84413d239e_b.jpg

More importantly is what is inside the box:

5354482876_e3dfe9ab8f_b.jpg

Nothing spectacular here, although I do find those wheels quite useful. I am sure the Battle Droid Body in dark bley will be a good piece, and I did not have the 5L Bar with handle before.

Instructions are not really necessary for a set this size, but here they are!

5354482880_8f1d30f03b_b.jpg

Of course what influenced my impulse decision was this piece:

5354482884_e138fce7c9_z.jpg

I am not really a space person, but I still wanted an Astronaut!

The Minifig has a run of the mill head, but makes up for this with a very nice torso printed front and back.

5354532038_6a21a17136_b.jpg

5354482888_98ce87c75a_b.jpg

Of course this being a tiny set, its all about the MiniFig. And I am very happy with him.

This is about half way through the build:

5354482890_e138fce7c9_b.jpg

It turns out you get a reasonable little Moon Buggy:

5354488248_a45c970e6a_z.jpg

5354488252_789d230777_z.jpg

Of course its very simple, but I was quite impressed with the mechanical arm on the back.

5354488256_6192458c45_b.jpg

A nice range of movement, I can see myself using this idea in the future.

All in all I think this is a nice little set. You get an astronaut, the recoloured helmet with a gold visor, and a handful of parts including good wheels and useful mechanical arm pieces. I think these size sets were around £3.49 last year? Although this could be Smyths pricing (I had never been there before). But even for £4 it's a good little buy.

Awesome! What about other sets of space theme?

They had 3368 Space Center for £49.99, and 3366 Satellite Launch Pad for £13.99, on the shelves.

That's a nice set. The mechanic arm is pretty cool and both the white uniform and white atlantis armor would be really useful for sci-fi guys.

Though the visor is probably the first time I actually wished the change from chrome didn't happen. It looks awful in comparison to the old chromed version imho.

This is pretty good for a slightly larger impulse set. I agree getting the astronaut piece is more than enough reason to grab this little set.

Thanks for the review 'Mikey', I noticed the other day on Smyths website they had the space theme right now.

The accessories make the set worth it, but I feel the buggy should have sprung suppension so it can ride like a real moon buggy. (I guess that's what modifying is for eh ?)

_44253477_buggy_nasa_203.jpg

Though the one pictured above only has 4 wheels not 6, I feel 6 is now more realistic to handle rough conditions.

In a way an excellent cross-over set, for city folk to go Sci-Fi and Sci-Fi to come to the city. :grin:

Brick On Everyone ! :sweet:

Wow someone got lucky! the minifigure is the best part of this for me. :wub: I plan on getting quite a few of this set for the minifigure.

This is a must buy (a couple of dozen) for me, especially for 5354482884_e138fce7c9_z.jpg.

Although i'd replace the visor with the trans black one.

That's the colour of Astronauts' visors :wink:

That's the colour of Astronauts' visors :wink:

Ehm i meant Trans brown, my bad

And this... Dump the gold, go for the trans...

LDDScreenShot76-1.png

Thanks for the review, excellent pictures! This will be a set that I'll have to pick up, in addition to the great astronaut finally some different tires and wheels than the typical ones we see in LEGO City. I really like the robotic arm as well, I'm always amazed when such unusual parts can be brought together to build something so amazing.

Great review! I'm really looking forward to the Space Shuttle so it's nice to see that these sets are starting to show up. Hopefully they'll hit the States soon.

If I'm not mistaken, the space suit piece is the same that they used in the Atlantis theme. It works for me, I think the design is pretty cool.

Nice review mikey, thanks. :thumbup:

Neat little set and a good and cheap introduction to the new subtheme. As you've already mentioned, it's a great way of getting an astronaut without spending too much money and it's the main reason for me to get this impulse.

I'm really starting to like the overall colour combination of this subtheme btw. White together with blue and red procude a simple yet beautiful match.

Great review for a great set! I currently have one on pre-order form Amazon UK for shipping on 1st March, this review has made me want it come sooner; it looks like a great little set! :laugh:

Very well done on the review. :classic:

~buddy~

Lucky you! :laugh: I'm quite eager to get my hands on these sets to go with my new 10213 Shuttle, and it's good to know that they're beginning to appear in stores, even if only across the ocean. Quite a nice review of quite a nice little set! :thumbup:

Same here, but I'm going to switch it out with a chrome gold visor.

Thanks for the quick review! And I have to agree with some

of the previous comments: This one is all about the fig.

Great to see such a nice astronaut in a small set.

This is a great set, been waiting for the Space theme for weeks.

Good that the whole robotic arm is dark bley.

Very useful parts overall except the red wheel axle plate.