Sharing session for our EB Special LEGO Themes forum

33 replies to this topic

#1 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Member: 2351

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:44 AM

Dear all,

With the various clusters of unsorted LEGO themes which can't be grouped in any of our mainstream EB forum, these themes comes under EB Other LEGO Themes Forum.

These are some of the themes which are commonly disucssed in this forum,

• Architecture
  • Belville
  • Boardgames
  • Creator
  • Fabuland
  • Racers
  • Sculptures & Mosaic
  • Vintage Minifigures Collection

and, and, and, etc...

Non-official LEGO related themes such as military or some real odd looking stuff that can't be group in any of the above can also be found here. Care to share your thoughts, views on how we can improve this place and what you could like to see in the future. I am not saying the improvements will be made immediately or can be implemented upon request but at the very least, you could share these thoughts or even comment on how the EB LEGO Other Themes forum fare.

WhiteFang

My BrickLink Store // Sign up for Reviewers Academy // Trains & Town Reviews // Black Knights Kingdom (EBRP) // Watch out EB News!

Click here to find out more about WhiteFang

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

My name is Wilhalm Bloodaxe and I am back to be part of the Ragnarök Now Redux.

Lord Kenneth Valise, Level 1 Knight, 28yrs old human
Power: 4 Health: 10/10 Gold: 10
Inventory: One potion, a Greatsword (WP: 3) and a Shield (SP: 2)

#2 meyerc13

meyerc13

Member: 8246

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:35 AM

It is quite an eclectic mixture of themes, isn't it?  Personally, for quite a long time when I first visited EB I didn't look in this forum.  However, I really like Creator sets so now I visit it quite often.  It would be nice if reviews and alternate designs for Creator sets weren't mixed in with all of the other threads, but I would guess that the number of threads that are Creator related wouldn't justify a forum of its own.  I wish I could come up with an idea on how to better organize this forum, but I'm really at a loss.  Perhaps Current themes split off from MOCs, misc, and retired themes?
Christopher Meyer

#3 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

View Postmeyerc13, on 14 January 2011 - 07:35 AM, said:

Perhaps Current themes split off from MOCs, misc, and retired themes?
Unfortunately, there is no single formula to solve all problems, but what we can do, is to work with the current resources that we have. Right now, the pinned topics with the exception of the MOC indexes which is quite outdated, other than that, the relevant key interest topic are completed.

It is not going to be easy to sort them out but with some useful indexes, it will help but I want to do it if there is enough interest in it to see people utilising the given resources, because all of these will require a large amount of time to get it done and to maintain it.

My BrickLink Store // Sign up for Reviewers Academy // Trains & Town Reviews // Black Knights Kingdom (EBRP) // Watch out EB News!

#4 The Yellow Brick

The Yellow Brick

Member: 11404

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:43 PM

I think this forum could be really improved by giving it it's own banner with themes such as Creator, Racers and Fabuland and all of the other popular themes all mixed together. That would give this place an unique touch to it. But that's all I can really think of for now Posted Image

#5 Rick

Rick

• Wants to be important too! (but already is)

Member: 5261

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

The banner suggestion is a pretty good one. All the major themes within 'Other themes' (Fabuland with it's loyal fan base here, Creator, Racers, maybe some of the other themes you mention) could be represented in the banner. Together with a fitting skin, it will give the forum it's own 'face'. :classic:

As to the reviews: For the major themes, maybe you could split the reviews index in separate threads and make one central reviews index topic (because there would be too many pinned topics if every reviews index was pinned) to link them in. There will always be an 'other themes' reviews index though because not all themes are big enough.

Personally, I don't care for MOC indexes and don't think I've ever used them...

#6 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:23 PM

View PostThe Red Brick, on 14 January 2011 - 05:43 PM, said:

I think this forum could be really improved by giving it it's own banner with themes such as Creator, Racers and Fabuland and all of the other popular themes all mixed together. That would give this place an unique touch to it.

View PostRick, on 14 January 2011 - 06:43 PM, said:

The banner suggestion is a pretty good one. All the major themes within 'Other themes' (Fabuland with it's loyal fan base here, Creator, Racers, maybe some of the other themes you mention) could be represented in the banner. Together with a fitting skin, it will give the forum it's own 'face'. :classic:
Excellent idea. I have place a request to our graphic artist. Time will tell if it will be a reality.  :wink:

As to the reviews: For the major themes, maybe you could split the reviews index in separate threads and make one central reviews index topic (because there would be too many pinned topics if every reviews index was pinned) to link them in. There will always be an 'other themes' reviews index though because not all themes are big enough.
I will look into this. Right now, I am integrating them in a single thread, like what many other theme forum is doing. I do sort them by category and those frequent much popular category like Creator is much complete unlike the rest.

#7 Walter Kovacs

Walter Kovacs

• Tooting his own horn

Member: 3106

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

Rick's idea is a good one I think.  If you want examples, look at the Mafia Games Index that Draggy has made, or the RA Reviews index that KimT has made (I hope it was Kim, I didn't bother to check. :blush: )  

Those indeces just have a linked list to the other posts in the thread in the first post, and then each subsequent post deals with a one Mafia game.  It should organize things pretty well.
Apes suck!
Missiles deployed!

Currently playing as The Serial Killer in Zepher's Mafia Mafia.

#8 Rick

Rick

• Wants to be important too! (but already is)

Member: 5261

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

View PostWalter Kovacs, on 14 January 2011 - 08:56 PM, said:

Those indeces just have a linked list to the other posts in the thread in the first post,
Yes, it could also be an index with links to posts within the same topic instead of separate topics for each theme... that's perhaps even better and more manageable.

#9 Walter Kovacs

Walter Kovacs

• Tooting his own horn

Member: 3106

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:05 PM

View PostRick, on 14 January 2011 - 09:00 PM, said:

Yes, it could also be an index with links to posts within the same topic instead of separate topics for each theme... that's perhaps even better and more manageable.
That's what I meant.   :blush:   I guess I tripped over my words trying to express my thoughts.  

Anyway, the Mafia Games index shows exactly what I was thinking.
Apes suck!
Missiles deployed!

Currently playing as The Serial Killer in Zepher's Mafia Mafia.

#10 Sandy

Sandy

• It's definitely not an anagram!

Member: 3211

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:29 PM

Shouldn't the topics about Collectable Minifigures be concentrated here as well? I don't think they fit the General Discussion & News section very well, especially since there's so many topics about them there.

~Now playing as Ellaria Arbour the Druid in Heroica RPG!~

#11 Rufus

Rufus

• Schnell! Schnell! Kartoffelkopf!

Member: 6705

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

View PostSandy, on 14 January 2011 - 09:29 PM, said:

Shouldn't the topics about Collectable Minifigures be concentrated here as well? I don't think they fit the General Discussion & News section very well, especially since there's so many topics about them there.
I think that's a great idea.  It will also bring a lot of traffic into this forum, and hopefully increase the exposure of the rest of the content.  I also think it might be a good idea to have a themed month once in a while (obviously when there isn't other stuff going on) - a Creator month might be worthwhile.

One thing I've learned from doing Creator reviews is that it's a theme which doesn't get much attention, but when brought to the limelight people often comment very favourably. Showcasing the theme could help :sweet:

#12 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

That makes perfect sense, as they invlove almost every theme, but at the same time are not part of ny theme.
Great idea.

#13 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:47 PM

I think there should be two sections of this part of EB.
1) Lego themes (official themes made by Lego at some point and time)
2) Miscellaneous themes/MOCs (for military and other themed MOCs that don't fit in with any Lego themes)

I also like Sandy's idea.

#14 The Yellow Brick

The Yellow Brick

Member: 11404

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:44 AM

View Postprateek, on 14 January 2011 - 10:47 PM, said:

2) Miscellaneous themes/MOCs (for military and other themed MOCs that don't fit in with any Lego themes)

I also like Sandy's idea.

Having the forum slit off into two different sections may become somewhat confusing to new members because some of them wont know the proper place for certain things. It could work though with a bit of work. Posted Image

Oh and great idea Sandy. Posted Image

Edited by The Red Brick, 16 January 2011 - 11:45 AM.

#15 Eskallon

Eskallon

• Plays with His Ponies in the Corner of His Exploding Glass House

Member: 4444

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

I think this section of the forum has been slightly neglected recently so this could be a perfect opportunity to fix that. I think for a start we need to bring in a new banner and skin with the things that should be posted here, I.E- Collectable minifig, board game fig, military...After that I think that the News and Discussion topics should be unpinned. There are so many that it looks 'off' to me. Then  finally like someone else here said the review index could be posted like the Mafia games Index with each theme in a different post.

Eskallon

#16 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

View PostWalter Kovacs, on 14 January 2011 - 09:05 PM, said:

Anyway, the Mafia Games index shows exactly what I was thinking.
Now, I get it. I was having another idea but now I understand what you have meant and it is definitely better than what I have in mind. I will take note of it.

Great suggestion. Thanks Sandy. I will discuss this with the Staff.

View Postprateek, on 14 January 2011 - 10:47 PM, said:

Sub forum? Hmm, it is not encouraged to have too many sub forum as it will results in confusion. Let me first settle the one that are highlighted and we could progress it from there.

View PostEskallon, on 16 January 2011 - 03:35 PM, said:

After that I think that the News and Discussion topics should be unpinned. There are so many that it looks 'off'
Are you trying to tell me that there is many pinned topics in the Other Themes forum?

#17 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:16 AM

Good news for all!  :thumbup:

The new Special LEGO Themes Pictorial Review index is now operational!

Link

Collectable Minifigures Series discussion will be officially belongs in this forum! I have moved quite a lot of topics in here and if you have spot any other relevant topics out there, except for the reviews, let me know by posting the topic links in here. Thanks.

In addition, there is also a formal News index. Can anyone please help me to dig out Series 1 and Series 2 News discussion? I am having a little problem with that.  :blush:

I will make a formal announcement later.  :wink:

#18 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:45 AM

Series 2. I'm sure there's another one somewhere in the depths of the General Discussion section, but I couldn't find any :blush:

#19 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:07 AM

View Postprateek, on 17 January 2011 - 04:45 AM, said:

Series 2. I'm sure there's another one somewhere in the depths of the General Discussion section, but I couldn't find any :blush:
I am very certain there is somemore! Thanks for the earlier link.

#20 Sisco

Sisco

• Golden Amusement Park

Member: 8341

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:21 AM

The reason you couldn't find series one is because it was in the Town Forum. :wink:
It can be found Here.

I've also dug through the General Discussion Forum, and found a few you might want to move over here.

Vintage Minifigure Collection Volume 5
Vintage Minifigure Collection Volume 3
Vintage Minifigure Collection Ideas
Taj Mahal Discussion
Lego Collector's Guide Review
Lego Plush Discussion
Max Minifigure Discussion
Lego Tower Bridge Discussion

Hope this helps!
Heroica Stats
Currently Playing as Sigrid in TinyPie's Ragnarok Now Redux.
Won as the Sithy Sith Ili Seosty in K-Nut's and MB's Jedi Temple Mafia.
Won as the Dark One Craig Otoko In Def's The Coming Darkness.
Won
as the only survivor (loyal) Amy Leeds in Village of the Bloody Damned.
Died as Servant of Loki Sigmund in TinyPies' Ragnarok Now Mafia.
Died as Loyal Townie happy-go-lucky firefighter Craig Boy in Eurodina Mafia.
Died loyal in PoP Mafia Game.
Died as Alex Jordan in Bob's Suburbia.
Survived 'till the end but still mourns his wife, Valerie as Ralph Jenkins in Red Scare Mystery.
Wanna know more about me? Check out my Profile!

#21 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:27 AM

View Postcralegoboy, on 17 January 2011 - 05:21 AM, said:

The reason you couldn't find series one is because it was in the Town Forum. :wink:
It can be found Here.

I've also dug through the General Discussion Forum, and found a few you might want to move over here.
Geez, that is extremely helpful! I will go through the links later and update the News Discussion index, so we could all find and easily locate those discussions with much ease.

Thanks cralegoboy.  :thumbup:

#22 RileyC

RileyC

• >-- Stupid Cupid --> <3

Member: 5251

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:59 AM

These ideas are great!

I do like the idea of a sub-theme. There's a lot of clashes in interests in this forum, from people reviewing creator, to people making military mocs. I do think splitting it into two would help those with different interests. Though newer members may get confused, I dont really see a lot of newbies in this forum anyway,

The banner is a fantastic idea! I do love how all the different forums have their own unique banner. And Im sure something very special can be done for this forum. :classic:

The Collectable minifigs really didnt feel right in general discussion, or in town either. Other Themes seems a good fit and it will definitely give this forum a big boost in popularity. I do hope it will put a shine to the wonderful creator reviews! :wub:

A creator month is also a pretty good idea from Rufus too!

Edited by Roncanator, 17 January 2011 - 06:01 AM.

Formerly gone by the name of "Roncanator"

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Playing as Yasuko a Model in Yakusa Family Mafia
Played as Rickety Cannon a Town Nerd in Dr. Bloodbrick's Asylum II: Fraulein Bloodbrick Mafia
Played as Ruxana a Town Pilot in Baritones 3 Mafia
Played as Roweena Karnata a Town Guard General turned Dark One in The Coming Darkness Mafystery
Played as Cookie Custer an Insane from Spider Ward in Dr. Bloodbrick's Asylum Mafia
Played as Ron Canter a Town Folk turned Noodles Family in Eurodina Mafia
Played as Todd "Bulltoad" Bulstrode an Innocent from Slytherin in Hogwarts Mafia
Played as Ron Callister a Sane Pilot in Dystopia Mafia
Played as Ron Toreil an Honoured soldier in Imperial Soldier's Mafia

#23 Sisco

Sisco

• Golden Amusement Park

Member: 8341

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:16 AM

Alright, I've got another list for you, Whitefang. This is a long one, so bear with me.

Brickmaster
Intro Topic
Sets May and September '08
First Brickmaster set '08
Brickmaster vs. Free Club Magazine
Brickmaster Discussion
Another
Another
Another
Another
Another
Another
Another
Even if we don't move Brickmaster over to "Other Themes", do you think we can merge all these? There sure are a lot of 'em, and I'm sure I missed one or two. :sceptic:

Old News Topics and Discussions
Old Racers and Creator Discussion
Eiffel Tower Discussion
5474 Pink Bucket
Racers '06
Vintage Minifigures Volume 2 Discussion
Letter Building System Discussion
Lego Games Discussion
Creator Christmas '09
Winter Villiage Bakery Discussion
Lego Games '10 Discussion
Lego Electronics Discussion
Ice Cube Tray Discussion
Minifigure Cake Mold
Gold Minifigure Keychain Discussion
Lego Headlamp Discussion

Reviews
4883 Gear Grinders Review
Lego Collector Premium Review
Gold Minifigure Keychain Mini-Review
Fairy Minifigure Keychain Review
Lego Plush Review
Minifigure Flashlight Keychain Review

Other

Ice Cube Tray Alternate Use
Lego Ferrari Exhibit
Miniland Obama Inauguration
Brick Separator Discussion
Brick Separator Discussion 2
Favorite Collectable Minifigure Series One
Favorite Collectable Minifigure Series Two
Collectable Minifigure Silliness/Captions
Collectable Minifigure Display

And there is my treasure trove of information up to page 94 of the "General Discussion" Forum. I'm so tired now...

Enjoy!
Heroica Stats
Currently Playing as Sigrid in TinyPie's Ragnarok Now Redux.
Won as the Sithy Sith Ili Seosty in K-Nut's and MB's Jedi Temple Mafia.
Won as the Dark One Craig Otoko In Def's The Coming Darkness.
Won
as the only survivor (loyal) Amy Leeds in Village of the Bloody Damned.
Died as Servant of Loki Sigmund in TinyPies' Ragnarok Now Mafia.
Died as Loyal Townie happy-go-lucky firefighter Craig Boy in Eurodina Mafia.
Died loyal in PoP Mafia Game.
Died as Alex Jordan in Bob's Suburbia.
Survived 'till the end but still mourns his wife, Valerie as Ralph Jenkins in Red Scare Mystery.
Wanna know more about me? Check out my Profile!

#24 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:34 AM

Thanks cralegoboy.  :thumbup:

By the way, I have tweaked the title of this topic slightly.  :wub:

#25 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

10213 Shuttle Adventure Review

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users