How many named pirates are there?

115 replies to this topic  – Started by Runamuck , Jan 13 2011 01:10 PM

#51 Hiawatha

Hiawatha

Member: 20480

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:41 PM

I think it is very interesting that we can now officially call the red coats British becuase of the POTC sets.

Posted Image Posted Image

My Brickshelf

View Postefullner, on 06 October 2011 - 12:28 AM, said:

I can figure what Dey will say when he meets with Hiawatha.

Hiya, Watha!

#52 Captain Roger

Captain Roger
  • Salty EB dog

Member: 376

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:24 PM

View PostRunamuck, on 26 October 2011 - 10:16 AM, said:

Is it just me, or does Miranda Valentina bear a rather striking resemblance to the female figure included with Brickbeard’s Bounty? Admittedly we never get at that great look at her in the video, but white dress and blue pants match the figure, even the details I can make out on her torso match the figures. Sawtooth also matches the shark that is included with BBB. The female figure is, as far as I remember, called the admiral’s daughter in the set description, so does that mean that we also have an unseen admiral Valentina among the pirate characters?

Miranda valentina has blue pants...the girl from BB has a long white skirt...so i think they are not the same girl. By the way, Miranda valentina is a female soldier, and the girl from BB is a helpless girl
LET'S CRAH THE IMPERIAL GUARDS!!!

#53 TheLegoDr

TheLegoDr
  • Yellow Panel Expert

Member: 19128

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:15 PM

View PostHiawatha, on 27 October 2011 - 09:41 PM, said:

I think it is very interesting that we can now officially call the red coats British becuase of the POTC sets.

That is interesting, I hadn't thought of that. Unless they state that they are two completely unrelated figures, I would think the red coast must be British. That debate might be settled.
Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

flickr
See my collection

#54 Runamuck

Runamuck

Member: 14769

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

View PostCaptain Roger, on 29 October 2011 - 05:24 PM, said:

Miranda valentina has blue pants...the girl from BB has a long white skirt...so i think they are not the same girl. By the way, Miranda valentina is a female soldier, and the girl from BB is a helpless girl

Well, I guess they had to take a few liberties for the sake of the waterski show. Pants are probably a bit more practical in that situation than a petticoat, and so is the ponytail hairdo compared to the braid and free flowing combo.
Miranda does still have the white skirt; she just wears it over blue pants instead of a blue petticoat. As for female soldier vs. helpless girl, Miranda was captured by the pirates and forced to walk the plank in the show and was rescued by her soldiers as far as I remember.

As for the redcoats, they are definitely British now, so British in fact that they were sent by King George personally to capture Jack.

#55 Captain Roger

Captain Roger
  • Salty EB dog

Member: 376

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:23 PM

i haven't seen the full show because i am from spain and i can understand written english easily, but not talked english. I didn'tknow she was forced to walk the plank.

In any case i am not sure both girls are the same.
LET'S CRAH THE IMPERIAL GUARDS!!!

#56 Voodoo Hand

Voodoo Hand

Member: 1948

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:47 AM

In the idea book (set 260, 1990) there were supposed to be a few named pirates but got later scrapped like all other text. Or that's what I read in some old LEGO magazine around the time the idea book was released. But yeah, rumor or not. It still doesn't count I guess since it was not released. Nor the names were pulished.  :pir_laugh2:
"If Germany starts bombing, The Brittish run.
If the Brittish start to bomb, the germans run.
If the Americans start to bomb.... Everyone runs!"
~Winston Churchill~

Posted Image
Belgica Foederata
My Brickshelf
My MOC Pages

#57 TalonCard

TalonCard
  • Pirate Journalist

Member: 883

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:57 AM

That's still an interesting piece of information...you wouldn't happen to still have the magazine, or know the title/issue number?  Those old LEGO magazines had a lot of interesting info, but they can be hard to find nowadays.

TC

#58 Voodoo Hand

Voodoo Hand

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

unfortunately my mom used it to light the fireplace with :pir_bawling:  :jollyroger: So i'm affraid I can't help much in that. Those things were pretty much the same as newspapers, same material, same style. So easy to use for a fireplace.
~Winston Churchill~

Posted Image
Belgica Foederata
My Brickshelf
My MOC Pages

#59 TalonCard

TalonCard
  • Pirate Journalist

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:47 PM

That's too bad...even the picture on the cover would be helpful, if you could remember that.

TC

#60 Voodoo Hand

Voodoo Hand

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

well, if you look into the idea book. You will find on pages 38 and 39 instructions for a tiny ship based on a rowboat. If i understood and remember correctly, it was supposed to be the pirate in the rear on the final instruction image. With the tricone had and red feather. This was a pirate that was supposed to get a name. Think I written it in the copy I have of the idea book, but no idea where that idea book is atm. Likely can't even reach it.
~Winston Churchill~

Posted Image
Belgica Foederata
My Brickshelf
My MOC Pages

#61 TalonCard

TalonCard
  • Pirate Journalist

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

New names!!!  New names!!!

As I posted here, the site miniland.nl has been posting scans of old LEGO Club magazines.  These have yielded some new Pirate names.

From a winning poetry competition in Bricks 'n Pieces Autumn 1992 we have Jake the Peg, a pirate whose peg-leg is made of LEGO rather than wood.

The,Bricks 'n Pieces Spring 1994 has an alternate name for King Kahuka: Chief Quextil.  (Or perhaps they're just cousins?)

The May/June 1996 issue actually has names for the Armada characters!  Captain Valiant is the green shirted figure, while Sergeant Speedy (oh dear) is the red shirted soldier.

The March-April Mania Magazine has, as has previously been reported, names for every figure from the Red Beard Runner.  I finally found the missing one: Gonzo Goldbar, the patch-eyed pirate with the blue bandanna.  This page is missing from my copy, and I've been wondering what that last name was for YEARS!   :)

There's also a contest to name the Armada Admiral--the options were "Billy Cannonball Cordoba", "Don Diego de LEGO" (my personal favorite) and a write-in option.  The winner was never announced, but some of the write-in names were printed in the July-August issue: "Sir-Sail-a-Lot", "Don Juan DeMented", and "Chrislego Columbia".

Like the Admiral, the new collectable minifig Pirate Captain lacks a name, but it's part of his character.  Until he finds a good Pirate name, he'll be the LEGO equivelent of Gideon Defoe's equally nameless Pirate Captain.

Finally, the new LEGO Friends Brickmaster book briefly mentions a pirate called Dark-Eyed Kate.

TC

Edited by TalonCard, 27 November 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#62 Runamuck

Runamuck

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

Ok, thanks for the update, I hadn’t noticed that yet, thanks for remembering this old thread.
Also the POTC wiki has a list of all characters present in the various versions on the LEGO video game:
http://pirates.wikia...t_of_characters
I haven’t gone through it yet and sorted it out, but at least there is a rather thorough list.

#63 Brickington

Brickington
  • It's Tuesday somewhere, right?

Member: 28288

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Then there's always my sig-fig, Brickington! :grin:

Posted Image

~Lord Brickington of Avalonia~

My Flickr | Guilds of Historica | Sir Brickington | My Brickshelf

#64 TalonCard

TalonCard
  • Pirate Journalist

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

A few more named Pirates from the LEGOLAND theme parks...

Captain Cranky, of Captain Cranky's Challenge at LEGOLAND California.
Captain Red Brick and Captain Blue Brick, of the Pirate Reef, also at LEGOLAND California.
Captain Horatio Birdsnest and the Red Pirate of the Pirates of Skeleton Bay stunt show at LEGOLAND Windsor.
Salty the Sailor (and former pirate) from the pre-show to the Battle for Brickbeard's Bounty at LEGOLAND Florida.
Pepper the Parrot (from the same show)

View PostRunamuck, on 26 October 2011 - 10:16 AM, said:

Is it just me, or does Miranda Valentina bear a rather striking resemblance to the female figure included with Brickbeard’s Bounty? Admittedly we never get at that great look at her in the video, but white dress and blue pants match the figure, even the details I can make out on her torso match the figures. Sawtooth also matches the shark that is included with BBB. The female figure is, as far as I remember, called the admiral’s daughter in the set description, so does that mean that we also have an unseen admiral Valentina among the pirate characters?

The pre-show confirms that Miranda Valentina is the admiral's daughter, so yep, there's an Admiral Valentina somewhere abouts.  :classic:

TC

#65 TalonCard

TalonCard
  • Pirate Journalist

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

Found another named pirate--I finally unearthed a Brickshelf gallery of the incredibly obscure Captain Roger's Activity Book.  Page 7 has a list of ship's rules, which includes the statement: "Pirates with wooden legs must never try to stamp out fires. (Old Percy was burned to the ground last September!)" :tongue:

TC

#66 yys4u

yys4u

Member: 13441

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:38 AM

Someone really needs to make a master index with pics and names and sources for names for each chacater :grin: They will be loved.

#67 Faefrost

Faefrost
  • Fire Policefighter

Member: 27890

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:24 AM

I don't know if anyone caught these over here? But in the Ninjago TV show they featured the Pirate Captain Soto, who is a near match for the CMF Pirate Captain fig, and "No Eye Pete" the Helmsman (and his seeing eye Parrot) who sadly we have no fig of.

Captain Soto was the original Captain of the Pirate Junk "Dentiny's Bounty", later used by the Ninjago Ninja.

Edited by Faefrost, 27 February 2013 - 08:50 AM.

Posted Image
My First Real MOC!
Almost ready for customers! Comics, Karate, and brutally painful Dentistry, all under one roof!

#68 Runamuck

Runamuck

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

I had by coincidence actually seen the episode of NinjaGo where Captain Soto appears, but I unfortunately forgot mentioning it in this thread.

I may have said this already, but I think it could be really cool if we could make a series of PDF articles about named pirates similar to the “A Guide To The Pirate Minifigures” articles that TalonCard and Mister Phes made.

I think it could be separated into 4 parts: Classic Pirates, Modern Pirates, Pirates Of The Caribbean and Odds And Ends (4+ figures, video games, TV series, theme parks and other appearances of named LEGO pirates in plastic and fiction)

There are more or less 3 types of named pirates: Pirates with figures, shown pirates without figures and mentioned pirates without pictures.

There should probably be a standard for how the “profiles” of the characters should be made. My idea for this could be:
Name: the most commonly used name for the character in question. Captain Roger/Redbeard would probably need to have both his English names mentioned though.
Picture: A picture of the figure if possible, and a good picture of a fictional depiction of the character. An example of a fictional picture could be from “The Golden Medallion” comic. Maybe it could be an idea with picture from multiple fictional sources if the characters depiction varies noticeably, an example could be the fat, almost beardless Roger from TGM comic and the thinner, full bearded Roger from the LEGO magazine.
Bio: a small description of who this character is.
Aliases: If there are multiple English names for the character or possible international names and their meanings. All of this should of cause have solid sources to back this up.
Optional stuff or What If: It could be interesting to see an approximation of what characters without figures would look like if they were made with (mostly) existing figure parts. For character without any pictures it could maybe be interesting to see a guess on what they look like if they match an existing figures role or description. An example of that could be the earlier mentioned Old Percy who could be one of the random pirates with a peg leg that appear in the various LEGO sets. It should be made clear though that this part is just speculation because I think it would be a bad idea to spread made up information.

Personally I would be willing to help on a project like this.

#69 Runamuck

Runamuck

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

Sorry about the double post, but I have some interesting new information regarding named pirates character.

Yesterday I finally got around to listening to the German audio dramas, and there have been quite a few characters in them who have been given names. I’m sorry if the spelling of the names isn’t correct, but I’m guessing on what they sound like.

Der Schatz der halben Münze
It’s an adaption of the comic The Golden Medallion, but it actually gives a few unnamed characters from the comic names. Also there are alternative German names for already named characters.
Spinoza is called Speedy.
Rummy is called Rumpott.
Will is called Bootsmann Willie. Apparently his father was locked up in the governor’s prison, and he claims to have an old mother and 3 aunts to provide for.
Governor Broadside is called Gouverneur Breitseit, essentially his name has been translated.
Lt. de Martinet is called Lt. de Martinez.
The Governor and Lt. de Martinet both talk with notable French accents.
Aunt Prudence is called Rebecca, and she is Broadside’s sister, Camilla is probably her daughter.
The Smutje, the German term for she ship’s cook, is also mentioned. In the comic this is Flashfork.
The Blackheart cousins are called McBlack, they are still named John and Brian though.
Bessie’s inn is named Das Fass ohne Boden, the bottomless barrel. Apparently she also used to be married.
Captain Foul is called Baddog, although it sounds more like Haddock starting with a B.
Culverin is called Dumbo.
Roger’s parrot is named Polly.
Some seen characters are given names. The pirate trying to steal Camilla’s pearls is named Jonathan. The cabin boy is named Roadie or maybe Raudie it’s a little hard to hear, Raudie is German for hoodlum. The one legged old man in the bar is named Peter. The fruit seller is named Skip, and he used to be a bosun for the Blackheart cousins.
Another pirate named Windy, who is probably part of Roger’s crew, is also named.
Roger is also said to be the greatest pirate since the great Pierre Lafitte.
The version I found is unfortunately missing the last few minutes of the story, it stops as the volcano is about to erupt.

Der Schatz des Gouverneurs
A fat monk is mentioned as a source of information in this story.
A plantation owner and slave owner who I think is named Henry Boskoff is also mentioned because Broadside buried a treasure on his land.
Rummy is given the title of helmsman.

Die Insel der schauriggen Masken
The story is said to be set in 1642.
Admiral Woodhouse is mentioned, as is captain Iron Hook.
Two runaways, the brothers Michael and Ben Raider, are the central characters of the story.
The place where Michael and Ben flee from is mentioned to have a Folterknecht, which is a man who tortures prisoners.
While Iron Hook doesn’t appear himself, two of his crewmembers of the Sea Star are mentioned. Karren Karl, Cart Karl, a friendly pirate and Narben Johnny, Scarred Johnny, a really nasty pirate and slaver.
Several of Roger’s pirates are also given names. Will and Rummy, this time called by their English names, are there as usual, but we also hear about Dick, Billie and Niels.
Four islanders are also named. We have chief Kweksil, his wife Amaritsa and their sons Tu and Kotu. I have no idea if their names are spelled correctly.
The, presumably English, king is also mentioned.

Piratensegel am Horizont
This story is said to take place in 1644.
Roger tells that he won a map from a card shark that is called One Leg.
Captain Iron Hook actually appears in person in this story. One of the pirates working for his is apparently named Bill.
Quite a few of the passengers and crewmembers of the Queen of England are mentioned in the story. The twins Susan and George Cunningham, who are being sent from India to England in order to go to school, are the main characters of the story. The first officer of the Queen of England is William Shatter. Other passengers on the ship include Mr. Davis who is the twins’ caretaker, an old colonel and the Peabody sisters.
Otherwise we also have several characters from the other who appears again. Roger, Will, Rummy, Woodhouse, Kweksil, Tu and Kotu.

If anyone would want me to try and write down a script for the audio dramas and translate it I could give it a shot.

#70 TalonCard

TalonCard
  • Pirate Journalist

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

I would definitely appreciate it!  All this new information is incredibly exciting--I'm particularly pleased to see some of the previously-unidentified comic book characters getting names.  :)

As expected, the dates here don't really match up with the US and Netherlands 18th century settings, but what can you do?  Also, the historical Pierre Lafitte was born in 1770.  :wacko:

TC

#71 Runamuck

Runamuck

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

I have started on writing the first audio drama down; it sure takes some time to do so.
But while doing so, I have noticed a few errors I made earlier. Rebecca is Camilla’s aunt, not her mother. The cabin boy is actually named Rowdy, and he is actually named in the German version of the comic. There is no pirate called Windy, the complaining pirates was actually Rummy and Will, but roger accidentally called Will Windy.

#72 TalonCard

TalonCard
  • Pirate Journalist

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:03 AM

Interesting...the cabin boy's name English name is "Jimbo", he appears in several of the Ladybrid books as well.

TC

#73 Runamuck

Runamuck

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

It almost seems like there is no end to how many named pirates there are, just waiting to be discovered.
While the LEGO Universe MMO didn’t turn out to be quite the success LEGO had hoped, it still gave us a whole bunch of new named pirates, and even better, there are also pictures of these guys.
Captain Jack Knife
http://legouniverse....tain_Jack_Knife
Wally Hornswaggle
http://legouniverse....lly_Hornswaggle
Burky Urchin
http://legouniverse....ki/Burky_Urchin
Swifty McGurk
http://legouniverse....i/Swifty_McGurk
Robbie Jibhanger
http://legouniverse....obbie_Jibhanger
Enrique Tharshebloze
http://legouniverse....ue_Tharshebloze
Arrrthur Arrrbuckle
http://legouniverse....thur_Arrrbuckle
Bert Scurvyburp
http://legouniverse....Bert_Scurvyburp
Betty Hatchesbatten
http://legouniverse....y_Hatchesbatten
Billy Picaroon
http://legouniverse..../Billy_Picaroon
Black-Hearted Kevin
http://legouniverse....k-Hearted_Kevin
Bonny Belay
http://legouniverse....iki/Bonny_Belay
Diablo Phil
http://legouniverse....iki/Diablo_Phil
Fermie LaBoosh
http://legouniverse..../Fermie_LaBoosh
Gary Grogowitz
http://legouniverse..../Gary_Grogowitz
Georgie Timbershivers
http://legouniverse....e_Timbershivers
Merciless Ned
http://legouniverse....i/Merciless_Ned
Morty Mizzenmast
http://legouniverse....orty_Mizzenmast
Ralphie Brig-Eyes
http://legouniverse....lphie_Brig-Eyes
Rolly Jodger
http://legouniverse....ki/Rolly_Jodger
Simon Soupspoon
http://legouniverse....Simon_Soupspoon
Swabby Bilgebarrel
http://legouniverse....bby_Bilgebarrel
Toby Squidbarrel
http://legouniverse....oby_Squidbarrel
Squall Aye
http://legouniverse....wiki/Squall_Aye
Swabbie the Monkey
http://legouniverse....bbie_the_Monkey
Hael Storm (Actually a space pirate)
http://legouniverse....wiki/Hael_Storm
Roo Morgg
http://legouniverse..../wiki/Roo_Morgg
The Kraken
http://legouniverse....com/wiki/Kraken
Kinga Hurl
http://legouniverse....wiki/Kinga_Hurl
Honor Accolade (at least he looks like he belongs in the pirate theme)
http://legouniverse..../Honor_Accolade
Gull Rawstew/ Rev Rawstew
http://legouniverse....ki/Gull_Rawstew
Admiral Flogmore
http://legouniverse....dmiral_Flogmore

Well, at least these were the Pirates related characters I was able to find during my brief search on the LEGO Universe wiki.
http://legouniverse....O_Universe_Wiki

#74 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Member: 273

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

View PostRunamuck, on 08 April 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

It almost seems like there is no end to how many named pirates there are, just waiting to be discovered.
While the LEGO Universe MMO didn’t turn out to be quite the success LEGO had hoped, it still gave us a whole bunch of new named pirates [...]
Do we even consider these characters as part of the LEGO Pirates canon?

They don't seem to have any correlation to the Pirate LEGO sets, it's like they belong in a completely different continuity.

#75 Runamuck

Runamuck

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

There is a pirate canon?
Just joking.
I have in general just been trying to find as many pirates as possible who have been named in official LEGO media of any sorts, and haven’t thought a whole lot about how it’s all supposed to fit together. It’s not the first time that I have mentioned pirates who have little to no relation to the actual sets. The pirates, with the exception of captain Roger, from LEGO Football Mania are an example of pirates who have little to do with any sets.
I have just been trying to gather as much LEGO Pirates related information as possible, and the characters from LEGO Universe happened to have pirates among them. Also the pirates in the game actually use a modified version of the Black Seas Barracuda as a base, which is at least a connection of sorts to a set.
http://legouniverse...._Seas_Barracuda

There seems to be other more clear connection to sets in other parts of the game, but the pirates are a little on their own to be honest.
I just thought these pirates were worth mentioning, if nothing else.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links