Border gatehouse

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lemon_squeezer2

lemon_squeezer2

Member: 118

Posted 04 December 2004 - 12:17 AM

Ever have one of those projects where you built half of it, had an idea, tore it down and restarted?

This was one of those projects. Only I did not tear it down once. It did it no less than four times to different segments. For the past year I have wanted to build a larger castle such as this, but whenever I started, I found that I did not have enough grey. Heck, when I joined CC over a year ago in October, I had a grand total of 150 2x1s and handful of 2x2s. So, I started saving.

And saving

And saving until I had the funds to make several large orders over the past four months. Those 150 2x1s? I now have nearly 800. I know that Ive gone past the 1000 mark on 2x2s with my most recent order.

The result of all this?

Well, just take a look :)

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=107036

My own comments on this.

I really like the look of the 2x2s a few people in chat liked them as well. The main keep turned out larger than expected, and I am pleased with the result. I estimate that there are well over 3000 bricks in this structure. And boy! Is it heavy! The gatehouse proved to be the trickiest. I swear, I must have torn the thing down several times to adjust for the gears. Originally, I wanted to make it so that the portcullis and the drawbridge would open simultaneously, but after several tries, that just did not work very well. In the end, I just got lazy and made it so that one can just raise the portcullis from inside the tower by means of a large gear there. Unrealistic, I know, but by that point, I had had enough. I started this in late September, so this whole thing took awhile to finish. This is also one of my entries for the CCC. I will put up a separate folder for entries tomorrow

Comments, suggestions, and constructive criticism are welcome.

#2 Vader

Vader

Member: 83

Posted 04 December 2004 - 12:34 AM

Thats one sweet looking fortress, i like the way youve done the stairs very orignal.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

#3 Jipay

Jipay

• Steve Wet

Member: 1

Posted 04 December 2004 - 08:39 AM

Sweet little thing ! I like how you used thoe 2X1 bricks to give the impression of a real castle wall.  :) Maybe you could add more minifigs so it ads life (castle were overcrowded  :P )

#4 jonfett

jonfett

• The Wise Belville Fairy

Member: 12

Posted 04 December 2004 - 09:48 AM

Looks good! I like how you have done the drawbridge mechanism, and the whole structure looks great.
Hope yo do well in the CC contest, I have still got to take pics of my entries.

Jon.

#5 Orlego

Orlego

• Tie Army Commander

Member: 100

Posted 06 December 2004 - 04:12 PM

WOW!  :oD  It looks great. I really like how you used the 2x2 & 1x2 blocks. Good luck with the contest!  :)
Leader and Co-Creator of the Tie army.
The King of Off-Topic and NOT Mr. X hehehe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users