• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 alienwar9

alienwar9

• Crazy Mega-City Designer

Member: 356

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:07 PM

Hello all,

Back when the LDD relay builds were going on, I had an idea for the second relay to turn it into a secret mad scientist's evil lair. Since that didn't work out too well, I decided to take a break from my ridiculously large city project and build my own hidden lair.

What started out as a mad scientist's lair turned into a composite of a bunch of my favorite ideas to turn into Lego, all in one secret mountain base.
The idea spawned from those old toys that opened up and inside were all the contraptions of the evil leader. I wanted to build a base in the desert within a mountain that could open up, but I wanted it to be a cut-away like so many of my favorite mocs that I've seen.

And while the theme may have turned more "military base" than "goofy underground lair", the inside is unfinished and I am thinking of making two different interiors for each.

It took me almost 2 weeks and countless hours, but I finally finished the outside. The only part that is not original is the use of barrels for the electric posts (I don't know who made it, as its from a random saved pic of a moc).

So here it is:
Posted Image

separated in 2 parts:
Posted Image
Posted Image

rear cut-away of mountain with removable or swiveling doors:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Front of mountain with sliding removable "chunks":
Posted ImagePosted Image

Side view of main entrance, hanger entrances, and guard tower:
Posted Image

Hangar:
Posted Image

hidden lifting cargo elevator for vehicles (functional):
Posted Image

The mountain parted out into separate "easy" to build sections:
Posted Image

There are dozens more features like:

the main cargo elevator,
mini security elevator,
blast doors,
mini doors within blast doors,
secret entrances,
hanger with landing door and helicopter entrance,
3 hidden long range cannons,
hidden turret system,
hidden anti-air missile systems,
transforming gas station sign,
rockets and openings at top of mountain,
and more.

If you want to see more, go to my bricklink page once its moderated.

I included the LDD because it's really hard to see some of the stuff with pictures. I warn, it is 13,000 pieces, so only open it if you have a great computer. That, and if anyone wants they can build it in real life because I just don't have the money or time to build it myself (city project took care of that).

Btw, using invert selection, select certain colors, hide, and selecting hidden parts makes for really cool views. Sometimes it looks like those really cool wire-frame computer scenes in movies where they show diagrams of stuff.

Edited by alienwar9, 09 December 2010 - 10:10 PM.

MOCs
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Decale

Decale

Member: 8742

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:26 PM

Wwwow I would love to see this MOC in real bricks! I usually don't pay too much attention to LDD MOCs, but your work very nice.
Nice and nicely done alienwar9 :thumbup:
Feel free to take look at my Brickshelf! I'm also on Flickr now.
And! don't! pay! attention! to the numerous "!!!!!!!" in my posts! I can sometimes be full of enthusiasm =)
Paul

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 SilentMode

SilentMode

• A bronzie that does not endorse whipping

Member: 10650

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:16 PM

I double-dare you to build this :grin: But seriously, this is insane. I can't imagine how long it took you to create it in LDD.

edit: I just found out how long it took you :wacko:

Edited by SilentMode, 09 December 2010 - 11:16 PM.

the infamous SilentMode
crowdfunding yet again for Project Swapfig - ends November 16 2013.
SilentMode.tv | Project Swapfig | @SilentMode1 | Brick Owl store | Flickr
"Almost everything you do will seem insignificant, but it is important that you do it." - Mahatma Gandhi

#4 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:24 PM

View PostSilentMode, on 09 December 2010 - 11:16 PM, said:

I double-dare you to build this :grin: But seriously, this is insane. I can't imagine how long it took you to create it in LDD.

edit: I just found out how long it took you :wacko:
I triple dog dare you! This thing is amazing. Probably one of the best LDD MOCs I've ever seen! :thumbup:

#5 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:49 PM

Wow, this would be epic in real bricks.

Awesome job!  I love the outer casing and inner details, very james Bondish.

#6 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Member: 5203

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:18 AM

Simply amazing in epic proportions! The sheer amount of pieces you've put in here is a testament of your expertise, dedication, and patience in LDD designing (and how advanced your computer is to accomodate such huge piece count in LDD Posted Image). This is really such an impressive MOC, which I hope will be (miraculously) realized in real brickbuild in the future. Great work alienwar! Posted Image

NEW! Legends of Chima Review: 70008 - Gorzan's Gorilla Striker

Posted Image

Currently playing as the Sheriff Kenneth Emanuel in Tamamono's Silver City Mafia

My Eurobricks Page / My flickr / My MOCpages

#7 Superkalle

Superkalle

Member: 4755

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:29 AM

Great job. Simply stunning  :oh:
Eurobricks Digital Design Forum - for all your LDD and Ldraw cravings

#8 Zblj

Zblj

Member: 7054

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:47 AM

I am just looking at the LDD file, 1 brick was removed, oddly. Looking at the massive model with all advanced shading enabled is a bit laggy, but none the less managable. The details are really amazing! All the mountain tops, the dinner, telegraph poles and all the groups! Are all bricks in real life colors?

#9 Praiter Yed

Praiter Yed

• I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Member: 11296

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

Wow, that's huge - 13,000 pieces huge! At first it reminded me of the scene near the end of Close Encounters where they come down off the mountain and find the hidden base - even though it doesn't really look like that scene :wacko:.  But then I looked at the rest of the pics with the mountain interior - amazing, well done. :thumbup:
Posted Image
Always on Brickshelf but finally flickr'd!  My CMS trade list  My minifig trades on swapfig.com

#10 SpiderSpaceman

SpiderSpaceman

• Got Balls?

Member: 6727

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:52 PM

'Scuse me, Professor Alienwar, may I faint now?

What a model.  And of my absolute favorite kind of thing to boot.

#11 legolijntje

legolijntje

Member: 11214

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:56 PM

You have too much free time  :laugh:
Anyway; it looks really good.

#12 alienwar9

alienwar9

• Crazy Mega-City Designer

Member: 356

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:58 AM

Thanks everyone! brings a tear to my eye :cry_happy:
Really makes me want to build more and more! I can see how this gets addicting. If only I had the money to build it in real life, poop.

Unfortunately, even though I did some color matching, efficiency searches, and strength improvements, I didn't have time to make sure all the pieces were available in real life. For the most part I tried to keep them in colors I knew the pieces existed, but if I needed a big piece or I just didn't know, I dared and placed the pieces. I'll probably go through LDD manager to fix that eventually.

I did have a bit too much free time, but surprisingly to me it didn't take that long. I've only ever built one other serious MOC (other than beginner kid stuff) and that is my city, so I didn't have any idea how long building MOCs could take. Whenever I heard how long people took to build theirs (especially for contests) my jaw dropped. It always seemed impossible to build anything that fast. So I'm glad this only took 2 weeks (though I admit some days I had worked on it waaaay too many hours).

Oh, and that brick that was removed is the hinge for the road. I have no idea why, as it should fit perfectly, the other side sits fine, and after replacing it the piece stays.

If just looking at the model is laggy, you should see what happens when you try and rotate something on it. By the end, some turns crashed LDD.

Btw, I also thought that the interior could work as the inside of a large scale spaceship, with the hanger bay, control room, etc. I'm scared to try, but its a fun thought. (never tried to build a ship)

MOCs
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#13 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Member: 11254

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:10 AM

Oh my, this is incredible! The design is very good, and I like the post-apoc-ish look. (intentional?) All the functions are the icing on the cake.

#14 Dilvish

Dilvish

Member: 16912

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:00 AM

Reminds me of the entrance into the Enclave's bunker in the video role-playing game, Fallout (1997). It starts out in a gas station too!

#15 Lalror

Lalror

Member: 11081

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

Wow, I just got around to seeing this, its amazing!  Great job, the time you put into doing this is incredible, but the reward was definitely worth it.  Great job, keep building.

~Lalror

#16 CloudCuddler

CloudCuddler

Member: 126913

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

do you also have a file of the mountain just hollow no secret lab thingy's.

and how many bricks did it cost (without the inside of mountain and the tank station thingy?

thanks in advance

#17 Superkalle

Superkalle

Member: 4755

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:24 PM

Hello CloudCuddler.

And welcome to Eurobricks.

May I bring a few things to your attention.
First, the topic you posted in is almost three years old. It's OK to post in such old topics for the thing you asked, but note that the original poster (Alienwar) hasn't been active here for a year, so you may not get a reply.
Secondly, when you post, please start sentences with capital letters. It's a standard thing we ask of all our members. :classic:

Thanks
Eurobricks Digital Design Forum - for all your LDD and Ldraw cravings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users