• 5. Excellent
    • 4. Good
    • 3. OK
    • 2. Poor
    • 1. Horrid

indexed.gif

Set Index: Furno 2.0

DSC07069es.JPG

When he first appeared, William Furno was a rookie with something to prove. He even had a motorbike. Now he's a geek with big glasses.

DSC07053es.JPG

I bet he even sold his bike, afterall; how many geeks ride motorcycles? Nice canister photo though. Hopefully he'll turn around soon and notice the guy burning stuff.

DSC07056es.JPG

Geek+muscles=shoulder launched missiles? I do like these combiners.

DSC07204es.JPG

Parts list. Most LEGO sets don't look as impressive as a list of parts due to duplication...

DSC07057es.JPG

...but I think this looks more appealing! Loads of the nice new HF parts.

DSC07134es.JPG

The Heroes are built much the same for the first half; it's just a matter of what panel goes where.

DSC07202es.JPG

They all use this part as a chest plate. The HF armour goes on top, with the Power core on top of that.

DSC07203es.JPG

Most of these new parts look really solid; note in particular the corner braces. The center ball joint receptacle looks strong too.

DSC07074es.JPG

All things considered, shouldn't this be Furno 3.0? Or was the bike version just 1.1? In any case it's a cool print.

DSC07059es.JPG

All jokes aside, this is one of my favourite head piece. I like how his eyes are completely covered.

DSC07061es.JPG

He's also one of the few that has possibilities of using it backwards.

DSC07064es.JPG

Aside from the big glasses, he also has the gun-blade-thing that several other heroes have.

DSC07146es.JPG

Overall I think he's one of the line highlights. He really highlights how different you can make a head look with an extra element.

DSC07206es.JPG

Since the head is shown more with him than the other heroes, the complete mouth looks more like a grin! Very smart. Shame he has the shield...

DSC07070es.JPG

From the rear he looks far less impressive. Since his panels are all front on he looks rather sparse.

DSC07073es.JPG

Billy gets back to his roots and wears his hat backwards. Cool dude!

DSC07173es.JPG

Ratings

Posability:

It's hard to complain about the posability of the heroes. All have elbows, knees, wrists and ankles. His shield weapon does make posing a bit harder though. 8/10

Parts:

He ain't heavy, he's a geek.... actually at 77 grams he's one of the "bigger" ones. I think he's one of the most appealing of the line due to his visor. 9/10

Looks:

He looks so different!.I can forgive the other flaws due to this. TLG has done some really smart things with this line. 9/10

Fudge:

As much as I like him, aside from the colour I don't see how this is the same character. 8/10

Overall:

Love your inner geek! 8/10

Thanks go out to TLG for this exciting new line.

Wow great review :thumbup:. I had high hopes for this and I wasnt dissapointed. I agree the shield design isnt very original but I think he looks good with it. He is now a must have for me.

But I was wondering, how strong is the connection of the goggles to the head? To me it looks kinda weak in my opinion.

Thanks, CB

I never realized that his claw is different than the one found on Stormer(?) and Breez.

Anyone tried replacing the new heads with the old ones? I think Furno would look absolutely awesome with his original helmet.

Nice figure, but the back is horribly empty. I think this is the worst Hero 2.0.

Nice review-I LOVE the "backwards hat"! Very funny! But I agree, I don't like the new shield.

-Santhor

I never realized that his claw is different than the one found on Stormer(?) and Breez.

Anyone tried replacing the new heads with the old ones? I think Furno would look absolutely awesome with his original helmet.

Again, anybody tried this...?

Those feet are horrendous, and the goggles so bad they're bad. Worst of the bunch, and they're all not very great. I'm not a fan of the weapon, either. It looks so un-Furno. This guy has no personality at all compared to his 2010 counterpart. Horrible set of a horrible line. HF 2011 is terrible, and aside from very maybe Jetbug, none of these sets will get my money. They're not worth it.

Edited by Refia

Those feet are horrendous, and the goggles so bad they're bad. Worst of the bunch, and they're all not very great. I'm not a fan of the weapon, either. It looks so un-Furno. This guy has no personality at all compared to his 2010 counterpart. Horrible set of a horrible line. HF 2011 is terrible, and aside from very maybe Jetbug, none of these sets will get my money. They're not worth it.

Gosh, what did the sets ever do to you? A simple "I don't like these" or "these don't meet my expectations" would suffice. Instead, you're bashing the line relentlessly, and it makes it sound like you're claiming your own preferences to be superior.

Of course, that's just how I'm reading it. Perhaps you meant others to just assume "horrible" and so forth were personal opinions and not objective statements, but the end result ends up sounding painfully abusive.

I feel he has loads of personality in his new form. His tool isn't the most unique of the bunch, though, you're right about that. I myself love the goggles, and feel that's where much of his personality actually comes from. I don't see how the old one had any more personality-- unless somehow "fire" is now a personality (that's the only real difference I see between this guy and the previous one: that his tool no longer ties him to an obvious element).

Fine, Hero Factory II is lovely. Happy now? Sorry for saying how I really feel about these sets. How stupid I was, to think I was actually allowed to have my own opinion and be allowed to say it without people like you looking down on my fingers and calling me a relentless hater. Stupid me.

Newsflash: not everybody's going to word his opinion nice. Get used to it. Bashing the line relentlessly? I've been atcively searching for things to like in the sets, it's not my fault I can't find them. I've given the sets the benefit of doubt for as long as we didn't have actual pictures of the sets themselves. Now we do so I can make my final judgement about them, and when I post it, here you are complaining about me doing so. It's a forum, I'm free to say what I want about these sets. And if I don't like the sets, didn't like the prelims or the leaked pictures and said so every time, that's not relentless hating, that's giving my opinion about the sets with every new piece of information we get. If you don't like that, that's your problem.

It's also your very own problem if you feel I'm forcing my opinion down your throat. I don't care if anybody shares what I think or not. I care when somebody like you comes along and feels offended when I don't put my opinion all sugary, and then blames me for being a relentless hater in the hope that the others will agree so you can pester me away together so only the nice people who are all rainbow and sunshine about the new sets will remain.

You might wanna note that so far, I've only posted in the Furno topic and the HF 2011. Yeah, really relentless hating there. I'm such an anti HF fanatic I don't post in every HF topic to proclaim my hate! Le gasp! I've stated why I don't like this set, why I don't like the news sets, why I think them horrible, with many of my ow, personal reasons, but I've always founded my opinion with an explanation as to why. That's not blind relentless hate, that's giving my opinion, and you may want to get used to that.

If you can't see my posts for what they are: my opinion, then you're the one with issues, and not me. "Horrible" is as much an opinion as "OMG BEST SET EVER GO AWAY HATERZ!".

Edited by Refia

Fine, Hero Factory II is lovely. Happy now? ...

Of course, everybody is free to express their opinion, but you really did it already.

You do not like this line? Fine. Now we all know it.

If you do not find anything else to say, and just repeat yourself over and over in each review topic, pease do not comment at all!

Another post on the tones of this one, and you'll have a one-way ticket to the Chamber. And before you start speaking about freedom of speach, let me remind you that you just attacked another member for speaking his mind in a polite manner about your comments.

So basically what you're saying is: "You're all allowed to have your opinion, just don't post it if it's negative, because we don't want to hear it". Repeatedly saying you love HF = okay. Stating you dislike it twice or thrice = GET OUT HATER. Ban me if it makes you happy, but that's how your post and his come across to me.

Fine, Hero Factory II is lovely. Happy now? Sorry for saying how I really feel about these sets. How stupid I was, to think I was actually allowed to have my own opinion and be allowed to say it without people like you looking down on my fingers and calling me a relentless hater. Stupid me.

Newsflash: not everybody's going to word his opinion nice. Get used to it. Bashing the line relentlessly? I've been atcively searching for things to like in the sets, it's not my fault I can't find them. I've given the sets the benefit of doubt for as long as we didn't have actual pictures of the sets themselves. Now we do so I can make my final judgement about them, and when I post it, here you are complaining about me doing so. It's a forum, I'm free to say what I want about these sets. And if I don't like the sets, didn't like the prelims or the leaked pictures and said so every time, that's not relentless hating, that's giving my opinion about the sets with every new piece of information we get. If you don't like that, that's your problem.

It's also your very own problem if you feel I'm forcing my opinion down your throat. I don't care if anybody shares what I think or not. I care when somebody like you comes along and feels offended when I don't put my opinion all sugary, and then blames me for being a relentless hater in the hope that the others will agree so you can pester me away together so only the nice people who are all rainbow and sunshine about the new sets will remain.

You might wanna note that so far, I've only posted in the Furno topic and the HF 2011. Yeah, really relentless hating there. I'm such an anti HF fanatic I don't post in every HF topic to proclaim my hate! Le gasp! I've stated why I don't like this set, why I don't like the news sets, why I think them horrible, with many of my ow, personal reasons, but I've always founded my opinion with an explanation as to why. That's not blind relentless hate, that's giving my opinion, and you may want to get used to that.

If you can't see my posts for what they are: my opinion, then you're the one with issues, and not me. "Horrible" is as much an opinion as "OMG BEST SET EVER GO AWAY HATERZ!".

No. I have no problem with people having different opinions than myself. It's OK to like Hero Factory, and it's OK not to like it, and there's several justifiable reasons for either opinion.

I was merely asking that you perhaps try to phrase your opinions in a way that doesn't sound so much like you're trying to establish some "objective" wrongness with the new sets. I'm nitpicking, obviously, and I don't see why you feel the need to retaliate. If you feel that your phrasing is a clear enough way to state an opinion, just say so.

I apologize if my post made it sound like I was tired of hearing your opinion. Certainly, some people are making it clear that they are. But I can't control that (and to be honest, you're right, people are being awfully retaliatory; I'm sorry if my post encouraged that). It's just the phrasing that bothers me, not the opinion itself. I personally like many aspects of the new sets. There are other aspects I dislike, but I try not to let my opinion become detached from my personal preference, and try to explain why my preference might be that way.

Believe me, I was in what seemed to be a minority for liking the Phantoka (and Toa Mahri Kongu, and several other sets with poor reputations), and it was hard not to let it anger me that other people disagreed with me. But I tried to channel that through friendly debate and discussion rather than tiresome praising. I searched for the reasons my opinion was so different from the norm. And I may not have done a very good job.

Apologies if I sound like I'm trying to impose on you. If you feel that I'm trying to get you to change or hide your opinion, and don't believe me when I say otherwise, then I encourage you to ignore my posts entirely and don't let them bother you. But I'd really like to be able to continue a discussion about the new hero sets, with arguments from multiple perspectives. And you're one of the few people who's been able to provide that.

LuxorV asked me to post this here as well. Here are my detailed reasons why I dislike Furno 2.0:

These new sets are horrible. That's a strong word, but I feel strongly about it too. I've liked most of what LEGO did in the past with action figures, Bionicle sometimes was hit and miss (I disliked the Mahri, Phantoka and especially the Mistika), but they've been delivering excently the past 2 years. 2009 and 2010 were fantastic years for Bionicle and HF. I've bought nearly all 2009 sets, and got some HF ones as well (I'm haivng a shortage of room to put them so I had to slow down in buying stuff).

Now take these new ones. They're astrocious. That's a strong word, but that's how I feel. Well, not exactly, I think Furno 2.0 is absolutely horrible, which is why I've only posted in his topic, I dislike that set the most. Take his feet. I've said before that they look like the feet of a clown, and I stand by that. I really think this is a badly designed piece. It's blocky and unappealing to the eye. Take a good look at it, and tell me it doesn't resemble a clown shoe. Furno's goggles are horrendous. Yes, I used a strong word again, because it portrays precicely what I think of it. If I think his goggles are horrendous, why should I say they aren't? They look geeky, nerdy, and just plain bad. It's not nice to look at. Combine that with the goofy smile of the new face piece, and Furno looks like he's being an idiot all the time. I have nothing against glasses, I wear some myself, but on a LEGO set, and this badly designed? Please, no.

His weapon is unappealing, and has no personality. Put it in another colour and you can pass it off to another hero. Take Furno from 2010. Would you give his weapon there to anyone but Furno? No, you wouldn't, because that was a weapon designed for Furno alone. This new one can go to everybody. These new heroes lack identity and individuality. The very well-designed, expressive helmets of 2010 are gone, replaced with these generic, personality-lacking new ones. I don't like the new hand piece either. It looks so blocky, and while I get that people complained about the Bionicle one, I liked the Bionicle hand better. Four fingers on one piece just looks too cluttered. I'm surprised the new hand is smaller than the old one, it sure doesn't look that way. Again, I find it unappealing to the eye.

The printed ID piece is a mess. Why is it even there? I dislike it greatly. It ruins the colour scheme, and the symmetry. I'm a man who needs symmetry. Be it my personality, be it my autism, heck if I know, but I need symmetry. Weapon in one hand and none in the other, that I can live with. But ID piece on one leg and red one on the other?! Where's the consistency?!

Lastly, why I don't really have anything against the new building system, it's well-designed, I'm not a fan of it either. I feel like LEGO's treating me as if I'm too dumb to work with pins and plusrods. The build was always the most fun part for me. Getting these technic pieces and making an action figure out of them. Over the course of the year, the build slowly went to "snap limbs together and snap em on the body", but now even the armor follows that, the entire figure is snapped together, with little to no pins and plusrods anymore. Why not? What was wrong with that? Why can't we have that anymore? Why couldn't, for example, the heroes have the new system and the villains the old, so that both sides could be pleased? Why am I left in the cold now all of the sudden? Why's my money not good enough anymore?

But if you think I'm too negative, let me end on a bright note: I like Jetbug, as stated before. Even with the new system, he's not that bad, and looks appealing enough for me to maybe get him. I can even be positive about the heroes. Furno is the lowest of the low, sure, and the others I'd say are all below average as well, but I can give you one exception: Stormer 2.0. Give him some better feet instead of clown shoes, and I'd rate that a "good" set. His headgear is the least unappealing of the bunch and doesn't get in the way so much, and why he doesn't resemble his old self, his colour scheme is consistent and his ID piece doesn't really get in the way of that. Now, he's just "okay". Give him better feet, and he's "good", good enough for me to even get him. And maybe I would, if I had spare feet. But I don't, so I won't.

If you want, I can go in detail as to why I dislike the other heroes and villains as well. Or the biggest letdown of them all: Fire Lord. I'll reply by PM.

And I apologise, Aanchir, for how I've behaved, I shouldn't have attacked you.

LuxorV asked me to post this here as well. Here are my detailed reasons why I dislike Furno 2.0:

If you want, I can go in detail as to why I dislike the other heroes and villains as well. Or the biggest letdown of them all: Fire Lord. I'll reply by PM.

And I apologise, Aanchir, for how I've behaved, I shouldn't have attacked you.

No hard feelings. Nice to read such a thorough critique.

Something I've observed, though, that has only a slight impact but is part of why I like the new helmets, is that despite using the same base they do look distinct from one another. Distinctness is not the same as personality, but I at least am able to interpret it as such in this case.

One reason for this is that the helmet equipment frames the face differently for the different heroes. As most hairstylists would be able to tell you, the way your face is framed can dramatically change how it appears-- and this includes the "personality" it evokes. There hasn't been a Breez review yet, and the pictures we've had have been insufficient, but I hope and pray that this effect is significant enough to make the otherwise very masculine head piece more feminine-looking (the same way Kiina's mask did for her). It'll be a hard fight, though, what with the new head's sharp angles and cleft chin.

Another note is that the evocative masks of last year had positive and negative effects. On the plus side, as you noted, they make the heroes look unique from one another, and are custom-tailored to the heroes who wear them. But even in the BIONICLE community many people observed a downside to this design choice: a more custom-tailored mask will not be as practical for MOCing or any sort of customization. And while I'm not much of a MOCist (and loved the very evocative Inika masks, another place I'm part of a minority), it's clear that customization is an important aspect of Hero Factory.

This year, we had the online game where you created your own heroes to represent you. I actually found this somewhat boring because the masks and armor were so specific to the characters who wore them. I'm a stickler for stylistic consistency, so even ignoring the personality aspect, I didn't consider it appropriate to use Breez's mask with Bulk's torso, and so forth. Next year, that "customization" aspect is stressed in a different way-- by the anticipated DesignByMe program where you can not only design but also purchase heroes of your own (this could very well be a special palette of Hero Factory parts for LEGO Digital Designer, the same way an Atlantis palette was used in this year's DesignByMe mode).

As much as I loved BIONICLE's deep story and huge cast of characters, I really love that Hero Factory is placing an emphasis on creativity, one of the values deeply enshrined by LEGO. Needless to say, the simpler, smoother aesthetic of last year's sets was a step in the right direction as far as this was concerned. But this year I feel helps complete that progression, distancing the constraction line from Technic and making it (like Technic) fairly "sovereign" on its own. While Technic to System, Technic to Constraction, and Constraction to System connectivity is still around, the constraction line no longer seems to have the sort of "identity crisis" it's had since BIONICLE.

I can see how you dislike this. After all, even though BIONICLE stopped considering itself a Technic theme as early as 2004, it maintained close ties with Technic throughout almost its entire lifespan. The vehicle sets of 2008 and 2009 were evidence of this, and even the Hero Factory vehicles of this year were very technically demanding. So in that sense, the transition to Hero Factory's new building style for next year is extremely abrupt. However, the shift from mechanically-complex Technic models to buildable action figures has been going on since the beginning of BIONICLE, due to the fact that most of the people who bought BIONICLE sets since the beginning bought them for their role-play value as action figures, not for their technical intricacy (this is why the 2001 Rahi sold poorly compared to the later "titan" models).

In any event, I personally am wondering what we'll see from Hero Factory in the summer of 2011. After all, it would be odd if all of the sets appeared in the first half of the year, without any "constraction" sets in the second half. Perhaps there will be some more complex vehicle sets? Or possibly another wave of villains? In any event, I'm going to be paying close attention to Hero Factory's progression next year just as I did this year-- only next year, I think I'll actually be buying a few sets for myself.

This set is exelent in my opinion! And those dark blue Lightsaber Blades! :wub:

The new 2.0s really make me like the line more. :classic: