REVIEW: Creator 5766 Log Cabin

73 replies to this topic

Poll: On a scale of 1 to 5 (184 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this set?

1. 1 - Poor (2 votes [1.09%])

Percentage of vote: 1.09%

2. 2 - Below Average (8 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

3. 3 - Average (55 votes [29.89%])

Percentage of vote: 29.89%

4. 4 - Above Average (79 votes [42.93%])

Percentage of vote: 42.93%

5. 5 - Outstanding! (40 votes [21.74%])

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

Which of these three Creator Houses do you like the best?

1. Beach House (57 votes [30.98%])

Percentage of vote: 30.98%

2. Apple Tree House (63 votes [34.24%])

Percentage of vote: 34.24%

3. Log Cabin (64 votes [34.78%])

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Member: 2351

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:08 AM

Another brilliant review.  :thumbup:

I enjoyed very much and I wasn't sure whether to get this set in the first place but I am certainly surprised with the hinges that will helps to enhance its playability. By the way, this review is also blogged in,

See it on Classic-Town.net

My BrickLink Store // Sign up for Reviewers Academy // Trains & Town Reviews // Black Knights Kingdom (EBRP) // Watch out EB News!

Click here to find out more about WhiteFang

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

My name is Wilhalm Bloodaxe and I am back to be part of the Ragnarök Now Redux.

Lord Kenneth Valise, Level 1 Knight, 28yrs old human
Power: 4 Health: 10/10 Gold: 10
Inventory: One potion, a Greatsword (WP: 3) and a Shield (SP: 2)

#27 BeKindRewind

BeKindRewind

Member: 6368

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:15 AM

I really like this cabin.  I agree that having rounded "stick-out points" (don't know what else to call them) would have been more log-like, but I'm at a loss off the top of my head to figure out how TLG would have done that and made it look convincing.  In the end, for a brick-built cabin I actually like the effect as is.

I am also not a fan of the tree.  What kind of branches are those supposed to be?  Maybe I'm just looking at it wrong but I just don't get it.  :hmpf_bad:

I won't be buying this set as Pharaoh, Atlantis, Harry Potter, and maybe even NinjaGo will be taking all my money, but a very nice set from TLG.  :sweet:

#28 guy montag

guy montag

Member: 9484

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:44 AM

The whole set looks like a swing back to classic town. Not that this is a bad thing, but it is disappointing to a creator fan who was hoping for little intricate designs such as Beach house or Family home.

I like it a lot for the part content, Light tan window and door frames, red brown roof, brown bricks (which you can never have to much of). I would of liked a base plate, ohh well.  

So I'll be looking forward to this when it goes on special here in Australia. I bet Lego Australia will try to RRP it at $59.99. for this amount... no thanks.

#29 SpiderSpaceman

SpiderSpaceman

• Got Balls?

Member: 6727

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:14 AM

I like it. It has character and really does remind me of cabin camping, which i do annually.  Still think they're trying to beat "Lincoln" at his own game  :grin:

(lincoln logs have a loggier flavor, but in details other than that, forget it.  limited possibilities and no stability... yeah lego wins)

#30 LegoFiend

LegoFiend

Member: 13142

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:17 AM

Has anyone besides me seen the new Lego creator commercial featuring this set. I saw it at work today. I don't recall what channel was on. but it consisted of a child and his father building a motor home. different then 7639 camper, it was much larger with two people sitting in the front seat. one of the figures looked just like the on in this set. It also advertised a website. forgot to write it down. has anyone else seen this commercial. I can not find it anywhere on the internet to watch it again./.

#31 Vestabuyer

Vestabuyer

Member: 6373

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:19 AM

Greetings!  :classic:

Nice review, thank you! I think this is a pretty good looking set...this is the first I have known of it. I am quite amazed at the inclusion of a minifigure which, if I remember right, is not usually part of the landscape in CREATOR sets.

Posted Image
Stop! Give me back my cart you knuckle-head!

#32 Capt. Stabbin

Capt. Stabbin

• Mister Captain Master

Member: 8447

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:24 AM

I like this set. The colors are great and I like the new oar.  I will definetly buy this set, and it fits in my price range.

:jollyroger:

Posted Image

#33 I Scream Clone

I Scream Clone

• Returning Nocturnian Master

Member: 2955

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:53 AM

Wow, such a nice set and an awesome price for brown bricks and dark red tiles. Sign me up.
Thanks Brickster. :thumbup:

Got Questions? Need help? New member?,Read the site guidelines,Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

#34 wunztwice

wunztwice

Member: 1607

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:35 AM

A nice, quaint little set.  Growing up in a county in Oregon still considered "frontier" (as there are not enough people per sq. mile to make it "rural"), and having parents whose first home was a log house, this set appeals to me quite a lot.  

The nostalgia aside, the design is simple and 'homey' and the colors work well.  I would have liked to see the alternating corners with round bricks at the end, but the more I look at what there is, the more I'm ok with it.  I like the raft/kayak.  That tree is odd, but more for the green bricks than anything...  I have always enjoyed a set outside of LEGO's norms (fire, construction, city, etc.) and am very happy to see they have taken a more "frontier" route here.

#35 Locutis

Locutis

Member: 14165

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:19 AM

Thanks for the review.  I get it that Lego is trying to sell more affordable sets, but I definitely don't like this one.

I prefer sets priced slightly higher and above ($60-$150), that offer enough pieces to make something substantial with.
Your Lego will be assimilated with mine.  Resistance is futile!

#36 def

def

• White Reggaeist

Member: 4268

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:21 AM

I'm a big fan of the Creator houses, and I really appreciate this review.  It seems a bit lacking, but I may buy it all the same.  The colors really do it for me.  The build isn't so complicated looking. But, overall, this is interesting looking.

I am a Satanist and not ashamed.

My Facebook! My Tumblr

#37 Superkalle

Superkalle

Member: 4755

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:48 AM

Excellent review compadre. I like the graphics. Keep it up  :thumbup:
Eurobricks Digital Design Forum - for all your LDD and Ldraw cravings

#38 fff

fff

Member: 9595

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

Impressive review, very well done, with a nice touch.
Though actually I do not see it too much Creator... the minifig lets me see it more like a City design...
I still find it a bit priced though.
Posted Image

#39 Flare

Flare

• A phonemonanl speller

Member: 11759

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:46 PM

Great review Brickster. I rated it 3 - Average and voted for the Apple Tree House.

Posted Image
Playing as Benji Carvenhall, Level 50 2/5 Prophet in Heroica RPG

#40 Anio

Anio

• I buy LEGO, then I just do something awesome with it.

Member: 5344

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:37 PM

This is a great set with very nice parts !
The B-models also look good.

Thanks for the pics and the review ! ;)

#41 SilentMode

SilentMode

• A bronzie that does not endorse whipping

Member: 10650

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:42 PM

If I wasn't building my own house, I'd get this too. I particularly like how good the alternative models look.
the infamous SilentMode
crowdfunding yet again for Project Swapfig - ends November 16 2013.
SilentMode.tv | Project Swapfig | @SilentMode1 | Brick Owl store | Flickr
"Almost everything you do will seem insignificant, but it is important that you do it." - Mahatma Gandhi

#42 Blackknight112

Blackknight112

• Pantsless no more

Member: 11279

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:43 PM

Nice review, and a nice set
Don't forget to check out:

My Youtube(Nederlands)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#43 Darkdragon

Darkdragon

• Destroyed Dreams of Super-Santa

Member: 14331

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:49 PM

I love the Creator houses. I knew as soon as I saw the photo for this set that I must get it, $30 is a very good price - that's what I paid for some of the other houses and they didn't even have minifigs!

I agree about the roof caps, not sure why they left them off. Seems like those few extra parts wouldn't have killed the price. I am not sure if they come in that color yet (the harry potter set is the first I have with dark red roof which I love, dark gray roof caps though).

I like the overlapping "logs" on the corners, but I don't care for the fact they are brick shapes (since they are brick!). When I get my hands on the set I think I'll modify it slightly to have rounded "logs" sticking out on the corner, see what that look like.

Overall a great looking set even with that strange tree (but the parts used will come in handy I think).

Great review, I love seeing all the photo!

#44 snefroe

snefroe

• waisted plastic

Member: 230

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

thanks for a brilliant review!  :sweet:

I must say, these creator houses are getting better and better. they used to be fairly simple, with hardly any detail and no figs. It seems they're evolving to something closer to "town" - subthemes, which is pretty great! true, we may need a 4x4 parked next to the house, but hey, most of us have bricks enough to fix that...

ah yes, i'm also an old-timer in the Lego community, so i'm very glad to see the return of the classic hinge too!  :laugh:

#45 Tacitus

Tacitus

Member: 2880

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:41 PM

Ha! I just saw this at TRU, today.  It's a good price for a lot of good colors.  I was concerned that you'd only be able to get those rusty-colored roof pieces with the Burrow set.

#46 Renthicya

Renthicya

Member: 10832

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:52 PM

While I'm not fan of the 3in1 or Creator series, I really like that they returned to the 'Full House' sceme. Finally, not a half-built structure where the back of the building is non-existent, only built in front as a show-window.

Hope they return to their roots.

Edited by Renthicya, 22 November 2010 - 07:53 PM.

#47 Wout

Wout

Member: 1485

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:02 PM

View PostLegoFiend, on 22 November 2010 - 04:17 AM, said:

Has anyone besides me seen the new Lego creator commercial featuring this set. I saw it at work today. I don't recall what channel was on. but it consisted of a child and his father building a motor home. different then 7639 camper, it was much larger with two people sitting in the front seat. one of the figures looked just like the on in this set. It also advertised a website. forgot to write it down. has anyone else seen this commercial. I can not find it anywhere on the internet to watch it again./.

On which channel was it and which country? :classic:

@ Snefroe: I'm also happy with the new old classic hinge and in 2007 someone on classic castle named the portcullispart of the 7094 crown castle "classic", because it already appeared in the 6098 king Leo castle from 2000, so you can become very fast an old-timer. :wink:
Duke of Equestria

#48 jazzbricks

jazzbricks

Member: 14337

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:06 PM

:sweet: nice set  creator is just getting better and better

#49 kabel

kabel

• lower case

Member: 6745

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:27 PM

First off all, thanks for the review, I'm now realy itching to get this set, although it's more for the parts. Where else do you get that many tan and brown pieces in a single set? I have some questions though: do these hinges come in brown, are they plates or brick hinges, and does anyone know the official central european price for this?
Steen Larsson
Carpenter
Royal Architect of Mitgardia and Vice Admiral of the Mitgardian fleet

Posted Image   Posted Image

My Brickshelf

My Flickr

Medieval Ships

#50 miies

miies

Member: 13780

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:50 PM

Nice review. The 'realistic' (non-base) colors and the relatively low price (about EUR 30 if I remember correctly) are going to make this set VERY popular with building/town MOCers, I think.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users