12 replies to this topic

#1 General Magma

General Magma

• Compliant

Member: 4066

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:38 PM

Posted Image
Hello all.
Almost 2 years ago, I did an AT-RT MOC. Two, infact. But those are old, and had pretty bad and inaccurate designs.. Now, 1.5 years later, I made a new version: Version 3. I improved many things now, and added some better details. Lately, almost every MOC I make features SNOT techniques, ever since I made my Bounty hunter starfighter.

Anyways, onto the MOC then, shall we? I also made a bignette for it.

Here's an overall view:
I'm still not completely satisfied with the side plates and some bits on the front.

Posted Image
AT-RT by General Magma, on Flickr

Posted Image

Posted Image

AT-RT in action:

Posted Image

The rest of the pictures are viewable on MOCpages and Flickr.
Like I said, I still feel like something's missing, or that there's something that isn't completely accurate.
I removed the technic pin sometime after I took the pictures, so the laser cannon is a bit shorter now, too.
What I'm currently aiming at for the next version, is improving the front, and the chair section from the back.

If you have got any suggestions, then I'd like to hear them. Thanks. :classic:

~ General Magma

Flickr - YouTube - MOCpages
Custom figures: LOTR [updated June 27th] - Star Wars [updated July 7th]

MOCs:

Star Wars____________________Western_________________LOTR____________________Other_________

Rebel Patrol On Endor_________________________________________________________________________
Nal Hutta: Taboona's Palace_____The Lone Chieftain_________Battle of Dunland___________Insectoid General
AT-RT____________________Sandwood Town Shootout_____Gollum Encounter_________________________
Bounty Hunter Starfighter_______________________________Ithilien Ranger Ambush_____________________  
   Imperial Probe Droid_______________________________Into Mordor_______________________________                
___________________________________________________Boromir's Last Stand_______________________
___________________________________________________Battle of Osgiliath__________________________

#2 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Member: 5203

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:47 PM

Nicely done Gen. Magma! It's always nice to see various people's take on the AT-RT, and yours is quite unique and really has some interesting elements. Very clever use of the minifig arms for the tridactyl feet, as well as the curved seat part and the wheel joint. Though I feel the legs are a bit skinny, but I understand since that part has always been a tricky challenge for every AT-RT MOCer. But overall, this is a really good rendition of the AT-RT, so very good job! :thumbup:

#3 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

• Hoping to get it up tonight

Member: 10293

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:57 PM

While the feet are a bit large it still looks good!  I do like that bignette though.

#4 General Magma

General Magma

• Compliant

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:01 PM

Thanks all!

View PostMasked Builder, on 20 November 2010 - 03:57 PM, said:

While the feet are a bit large it still looks good!  I do like that bignette though.

Actually, the feet are about the right size, if you compare it to this:

Posted Image
(This was also one of my reference pics.)

~ General Magma

Edited by General Magma, 20 November 2010 - 04:02 PM.

MOCs:

Star Wars____________________Western_________________LOTR____________________Other_________

Rebel Patrol On Endor_________________________________________________________________________
Nal Hutta: Taboona's Palace_____The Lone Chieftain_________Battle of Dunland___________Insectoid General
AT-RT____________________Sandwood Town Shootout_____Gollum Encounter_________________________
Bounty Hunter Starfighter_______________________________Ithilien Ranger Ambush_____________________  
   Imperial Probe Droid_______________________________Into Mordor_______________________________                
___________________________________________________Boromir's Last Stand_______________________
___________________________________________________Battle of Osgiliath__________________________

#5 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Member: 5203

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:22 PM

View PostGeneral Magma, on 20 November 2010 - 04:01 PM, said:

Actually, the feet are about the right size, if you compare it to this:
*snip*
Maybe what MB means is that the minifig arms might be a bit bulky for the flat feet of your ref. pic. It's quite noticeable honestly, but considering how difficult to achieve that detail is in actual brickbuilt, that's just ok.

#6 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Member: 11254

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:22 PM

Nice job! I like the use of curved parts for the seat, even if it's not accurate, it looks pretty good.

I think the reason that it looks disproportionate is because the wedge plates you used for the armor are in fact too big. However, the only way around that is either a custom 2x2 wedge plate, a plate that'll make it look too squarish, or (what I did) a 1 x 2 tile with hands attached to make it look sort of like a wedge.

#7 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Gungans taste like chicken

Member: 7997

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:52 PM

Very nice AT-RT, true it's hard to make it look like a movie/tv series one in Lego, but yours looks pretty close.
How stable is it with those legs ?
Anyway, great work 'General Magma' and may the brick be with you.....always ! :yoda:

#8 General Magma

General Magma

• Compliant

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:59 PM

View Postlightningtiger, on 20 November 2010 - 10:52 PM, said:

Very nice AT-RT, true it's hard to make it look like a movie/tv series one in Lego, but yours looks pretty close.
How stable is it with those legs ?
Anyway, great work 'General Magma' and may the brick be with you.....always ! :yoda:
Thanks!

When posed rightly, it is quite sturdy. It was kinda hard to place it onto the small "mountain" of the bignette,
but the mountain's surface wasn't flat, so I imagine it'd be hard to place things posed like that onto it anyways, though.

It can't stand on one leg (of course), but that makes it bad for use in stop-motion. (It would require masking to get rid of the supports it would stand on for stop-motion).
But overall, it's pretty sturdy.

~ General Magma

MOCs:

#9 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Member: 11254

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:13 AM

View PostGeneral Magma, on 20 November 2010 - 10:59 PM, said:

(It would require masking to get rid of the supports it would stand on for stop-motion).
But overall, it's pretty sturdy.
Not really. Since it's opaque, just put the support directly opposite the camera like with the MF model from AnH.

#10 Blackknight112

Blackknight112

• Pantsless no more

Member: 11279

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:39 AM

Nice work, I really like how you made the legs
Don't forget to check out:

My Youtube(Nederlands)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Darth Yogi

Darth Yogi

• im from no-caps country

Member: 11065

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

This looks great.  The feet are my favorite part, perfect design.  Mind if I use it for my AT-RT, I'll give you credit if I post it.  I might take that Technic piece off of the gun and make the legs a bit longer, but it is a great design.
Great job :thumbup:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image  
The Rabbit( MCW Contest entry)...........................Arrival on Tatooine...................................................Bail Organa's Airspeeder........................................Le Sans Fin

Flickr

#12 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:28 PM

I love the feet, they are so accurate in terms of proportions.  I think it looks great.

#13 Flare

Flare

• A phonemonanl speller

Member: 11759

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:43 PM

Cool! Nice work here.

Posted Image
Playing as Benji Carvenhall, Level 50 2/5 Prophet in Heroica RPG

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users