Sign in to follow this  
Geertos13

MOC : Diagon Alley

Hello Fellow Eurobrickers

I'd like to share my First MOC here on Eurobricks. It's not Truly a MOC actually, it's a complete self made film-set, for my upcoming Brickfilms. A trailer can be found on Youtube. Soon I will post the Brickfilm itself and You will see the Diagon Alley Moc come to life :classic:

5096009345_b9d21d082f_b.jpg

DIAGON ALLEY

4320 Pieces *oh2**huh*:classic:

22 Buildings

3 Baseplates

GETTING STARTED

5096012141_b9ec51853f_z.jpg

In This first Shot, we can see the lovely looking Main Street of Diagon Alley. A little Wizarding Crowd walks trough the streets, chatting and looking at the beautiful shops and their products. In the Background Gringotts and Weasley Wizard Wheezes. Along with the big Flourish and Blotts. The Wall to the Leaky Cauldron and Florean Fortescue's icecream shop.

In the forground we have Eeylops Owl Emporium and after that, at the right we have Mme Malekin, which can not been seen properly however.

5096609254_299904f573_z.jpg

This scene is taken from Half Blood Prince, where Hagrids is watching over Harry, Ron and Hermione in Diagon Alley In this Shot a better shot Of Flourish and Blotts and at the right a small bit of Florian Fortescue's shop.

ON TO GRINGOTTS

5096013267_778f2c7eb3_z.jpg

Here we can see the famous Trio walk to Gringotts with Hagrid. The Big Gringotts Building is in fact just a single wall, But I still do like it. I Think the two Golden/brown bars at both sides of the doors gives something impressive to the building. Of course everything else is made of white, as described in the books and seen in the movies. A Random Goblin is waiting outside and is ready to lead them to their vaults.

5096011593_5bb485dcbd_z.jpg

The Inside of Gringotts is made of Tan and Brown bricks, as seen in the movies. Unfortunatly I had no Idea on how to make that great floor. So I had to take a normal grey baseplate. As I've only two Goblins, This picture was succesfully photoshopped with Bafran

5096011765_9e16691d93_z.jpg

The Goblins are, as usual, working very hard. Harry, Ron and Hermione are deciding what they're going to do. Ron and Harry go to their Vaults, while Hermione is going to change her Muggle Money.

Harry and Ron left Hermione with Hagrid and took place in those little by Goblins driven carts.

Once they all sat. A dreadful but tremendous race began.

5110042999_54f80671f4_z.jpg

These colored Bricks are supposed to be Diamonds in the wall. They're made of simpel transparant color bricks with a Light behind them

5110644690_9c3ac12790_z.jpg

Nice Little Goblin with a hat in the background :classic:

5110634614_51764d3e9b_z.jpg

You will notice that My Gringotts has some plants and rock designs. It probably looks a bit wilder than the usual Gringotts MOCS.

Then they Finaly Arrived at Harry's Vault. Nice use of the Light-up Brick here. :wub:

5096607866_7881b3d497_z.jpg

THE WEASLEY WIZARD WHEEZES

Once they've gone outside, Harry Ron and Hermione decided to pay a Visit to The Weasley Twins, Wisard Wheezes.

On top of the building ( loosely inspired by the film ) An Orange colored statue representing one of the Weasley Brothers.

You will notice the stone wall in the background( tan and dark tan bricks ). It is the entrance to the Leaky Cauldron. And the bottom right hand corner, Florean Fortescue's closed Icescream shop. It is the building with the yellow/Purple design. I wanted to put some wood on the entrance to make it looked abandonned and closed, But I coudn't manage it.

5096611836_465a5756c4_z.jpg

The inside is a messy, though nice and simple designed high room. With several floors, all joined by stairs and balconies.Pay attention to the Love Potions, fake Wands and Puking Pastils

5096017129_6bb5fb0698_z.jpg

5096017333_575040c571_z.jpg

5096017653_f5a704c28f_z.jpg

MME MALEKIN'S ROBES FOR ALL OCCASIONS

And now we're up to Mme Makekin's shop. Harry Ron and Hermione , in the 6th Book again, Will meet Draco Malfoy and his mother Narcissa. In the book, they argue and Mme Malekin calms everything down.In my Brickfilm, They will start fighting and breaking the shop down. :grin:

5096014419_84387f4814_z.jpg

5096614996_b4ff413de1_z.jpg

[You will Notice the Standard Hogwarts Torso design. This is slightly inspired by the LEGO videogame, that's where I got the idea.

KNOCKTURN ALLEY

In this Part of the MOC, we see Draco walk towards the secret entry of Knockturn Alley, recreating the "Draco's detour" scene. :devil:

5096015483_cba3cfd215_z.jpg

Here we discover a entire new part, Knockturn Alley itself, Including my awfull looking Borgin and Burks

I do like the rock design on the Background, though I still thinks everything is a little bit too bright for such a creepy part.

5096016759_053bfbdeb3_z.jpg

And here it is, Borgin and Burks, I think the design just really sucks :thumbdown:

Why ? Probably because it's way to flat. It doesn't look like the One from the film. Now that I look at the upcoming Diagon Alleyset it all looks so obvious, so yeah this is really the bad part for me. :hmpf_bad:

5096009697_fbefe90f5e_z.jpg

The inside is actually a little bit better, especially of the golden vanishing cabinet and my custom Borgin but I still think it sucks when we look at the new set.

So that's kinda it for Diagon Alley

I do hope you enjoyed it.

GOOD POINTS : The main Street looks good and is big enough to be Diagon Alley, however some people commented it was waay to large to be an Alley. And I do agree, but as I stated

Because of the difficulty of Brickfilming, it was just impossible to make it smaller.

BAD POINTS : Obviously Knockturn Alley and Borgin and Burks and the Large Street in the middle.

Do you have any other tips or comments ? Things that are bad, and/or good.

Please let me know what you think about it. And stay tuned for my next Brickfilm

By Geertos13

Special thanks to Burman and KielDaMAn for helping out with the pictures

Edited by Geertos13

You are taking the link from the URL bar. You have to go to View all sizes on the image. Right click and go to Copy Image URL. This is the one that you paste into the image tags.

As for your MOC it is very good and full of detail. Well Done and Thanks for sharing.

Wow! This is a truly a very impressive HP MOC! Full of details and lots of happenings in the Diagon Alley. I'm not even finished browsing through all the photos, but I've enjoyed the first ones so far.

Regarding deeplinking photos, since you're using flickr, here's what you have to do:

- Right click the photo, in the View all sizes, click Medium 640, then Right Click on the photo again, choose Properties, then copy the Location. Then go to the Edit Post, click the insert Image icon, paste the URL then click Insert Image, and Voila! Your image is posted, like this one:

5096012141_b9ec51853f_z.jpg

Really great work Geertos! Keep it up! :thumbup:

Edited by KielDaMan

Good work on your moc! :thumbup:

It is awesome, full of details.

Edited by Flare

Unebelievable. I'd love to see some more close-ups on the shops.

Unebelievable. I'd love to see some more close-ups on the shops.

Hi CallMePie, especially for you here are some close-up Pictures. Unfortunatly this Moc isn't existing anymore, I had to break it off. So I can't fill all your requests. However I have some old Pictures, The Quality isn't the best however, but I hope you still like them

Eeylops Owl Emporium

5110825868_17bd784a0b.jpg

Madam Primpernelle's Beautifying Potions and In the Background, a simple designed Ollivander

5110225405_a91a22ac1d.jpg

Weasley's Wizard Wheezes

5110225227_778dfb0791.jpg

And a general view of the Set, with a better and cleaner view of the Set

5110825108_fdaaf50892.jpg

Impressive scale but its too wide and open. Doesn't feel like an alley. Its more like Daigon's Flea Market.

Yeah I know what You mean. And I figured that out too. But Because of the difficulty of Brickfilming, it was just impossible to make it smaller.

Edited by Geertos13

I love the amount of buildings and details in this MOC, and I'm sure it must've taken a whole lot of time and effort to make. Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes is my favorite building in this bunch, and the lighting effects in the Gringotts underground are quite impressive.

I think you left maybe too much space into this MOC, however, and built it in a slightly bigger scale than you would've needed. Like gotoAndLego above me said, it doesn't feel like the alley it should be. I know it'll make photographing and placing minifigures much harder, but you should definitely narrow it down. The interiors of the buildings are a bit too spacious and high as well, at least comparing to the furniture and other details that they hold.

Also, shrubbery and palm branches really don't belong to central London. Try lampposts and store signs instead. :wink:

Anyway, this is a very nice MOC and it funnily coincides with the upcoming official Diagon Alley set. Good job!

Awesome! All you need now is some more minifigs to populate the streets a bit more. :thumbup::classic:

Also, shrubbery and palm branches really don't belong to central London. Try lampposts and store signs instead. :wink:

Yeah you're defenatly right about that. I never really thought of it, but yeah. It is supposed to be in London, so yeah... :classic:

Awesome! All you need now is some more minifigs to populate the streets a bit more. :thumbup::classic:

Thansk. I have enough Minifigs to Populate Diagon Alley. The only reason I didn't use them, was because I am making the half blood prince. If you've read the book or seen the movie you should know that the streets were almost deserted abnd very empty. But I do agree, A regular Diagon Alley needs loads of wizards :laugh:

You are taking the link from the URL bar. You have to go to View all sizes on the image. Right click and go to Copy Image URL. This is the one that you paste into the image tags.

As for your MOC it is very good and full of detail. Well Done and Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the help, And I'm glad you liked it :classic:

All the pictures are up now

Excellent moc, Geert! I've liked it ever since I first saw it in your movie trailer. Make sure you guys check out my Hogwarts layout in my HP world thread.

Edited by Primusman

How I missed this before I don't know. But this is great! Nice work on the photoshop. :thumbup:

Thanks alot. It means alot to me. Especially from people like you. "Famous Members" or Eurobricks

Very nice, Geertos13! :thumbup: Your Diagon Alley has definitely the feeling of the place described, with all the little colourful shops. I like all of the shops. The interior of Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes is also nicely done.

Making streets like this is pretty hard, I think. If you don't make the street wide enough, it's hard to photograph or let visitors look at it at conventions and such. I have to agree that you're alley is perhaps a bit too wide but you made it for a brickfilm so I can understand you needed the space for your camera to move freely. It would look a bit better with lamp posts and perhaps a bit more action, like little shopping stands and such.

Again, nice job and I'm looking forward to see some more of your LEGO Harry Potter creations! :wink:

Wow, what an awesome MOC this was( sad to read it's demolished already). That should've been one to have a long shelf life. I'm sure it took a lot of time & money, with 4000+ bricks. Very impressive job you did with the buildings, both inside and out. I don't suppose you have like a birds-eye-view of the overall Alley?

I don't suppose you have like a birds-eye-view of the overall Alley?

No, I'm sorry, the best "high" view I have is the one at the Beginning but that's all. :sad:

I'm sure it took a lot of time & money, with 4000+ bricks.

Actually, I just took all the piece of my huge collection. So maybe, at the end it took much money. But I didn't buy anything special or seomething for this MOC, so I don't really know how much it was in the end. anyways, glad you liked the MOc and stay tuned for the Brickfilm that comes along.

Um, wow! You've got my attention, and I am instantly a fan. I love your pictures, the layout is great and you have a nac for photographing.

Count me in as excited for your film.

Um, wow! You've got my attention, and I am instantly a fan. I love your pictures, the layout is great and you have a nac for photographing.

Count me in as excited for your film.

Thank you soo much !

As for the pictures, most of them are actually screenshots from the brickfilm. I've studied alot about how to make good shots for movies and stuff, so the "nac for photographing" is actually part of the brickfilming, but thanks anyway. And If you're interrested, I post all the videos on Youtube, and If you have a youtube account, don't hesitate to comment and stuff. Here's my channel Geertos13

Very nice, Geertos13! :thumbup: Your Diagon Alley has definitely the feeling of the place described, with all the little colourful shops. I like all of the shops. The interior of Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes is also nicely done.

Making streets like this is pretty hard, I think. If you don't make the street wide enough, it's hard to photograph or let visitors look at it at conventions and such. I have to agree that you're alley is perhaps a bit too wide but you made it for a brickfilm so I can understand you needed the space for your camera to move freely. It would look a bit better with lamp posts and perhaps a bit more action, like little shopping stands and such.

Again, nice job and I'm looking forward to see some more of your LEGO Harry Potter creations! :wink:

It is an honor to have people like you, commzetning and actually taking a look at my MOCS. I am a great fan of all your creations, especially your new Hogsmead Creations. Of course it seems a bit empty and whitout action indeed. But it will look better when the minifigures come to life to, with some music and background sounds and stuff. So stay tuned to find out by yourself, once the brickfilm is out :pir_laugh2: