Designing Cloud City

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 StoutFiles

StoutFiles

Member: 13725

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:30 AM

Posted Image
All the wishful talk I've heard recently about a UCS Cloud City has got me excited about one, and how dissapointed I'll be if they don't make one. So if they don't...I want to build my own! I'd like some advice from others with my current design thoughts.

So to start, we'll take an existing playset that is great and similar to what I'd want in a Cloud City, the Death Star.

Posted Image

To better illustrate all the rooms in the Death Star I'm going to show all the rooms in one big strip.

Posted Image

Using the same format, I'll show the layout of my vision of Cloud City. Since Cloud City isn't a circle but more of an oval, the shape needs to be longer and shorter.

Posted Image

Blue: Elevator
Green: Doorway (Gate/Archway/Door/Broken Window)
Red: Trapdoor

Top Floor:

Posted Image

This basically need to be a big black circle for the floor, with the landing pad and landing pad walkway raised up about an inch. This is the most optional part of the set, but I feel a landing pad is really important and doesn't work if it's off to the side of the set.

Carbon Freezing Chamber:

Posted Image

This room is important and needs to fit a lot of minifigs in it; therefore, it should be a huge room.

Duel Room:

Posted Image

I'm sure this room has an official name. This room will feature the broken window from the old Cloud City set to move to the next room in the duel.

Extension:

Posted Image

This room will need to feature the lower lever as part of it, Luke needs to fall a pretty good distance. The bottom of the room will be sloped so that Luke will funnel towards the trapdoor, which when open will let you have Luke grab the railing under the city to wait for the Falcon.

Meeting Room:

Posted Image

Prison:

Posted Image

Torture Room:

Posted Image

Bedroom:

I don't have a picture of this. The room they're in when Lando comes to take them to Vader.

So, that's it. Just imagine walls separating the rooms like on the Death Star except for the top floor, which is one big open area. If they made an offical set with this design it would likely cost the same as the Death Star assuming the same number of minifigs and a new Cloud Car.

Good design? Needs work? Let me know what you'd do to make it better, or even a completely different design. I just want a good Cloud City!

#2 duncan

duncan

Member: 10441

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:46 AM

a room with c3po getting taken apart by those pig people would be cool

#3 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Member: 11254

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:53 AM

Ugnaughts (spelling? typing off the top of my head here), but they've yet to be made as official minifigs.

Can't wait to see this finished! Especially looking forward to seeing how you translate Cloud City's distinct architectural style into LEGO.

#4 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Member: 5203

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:00 AM

Having a very well-thought-of plan and a nice layout is already a great start for your ambitious project Stoutfiles. Posted Image It's a good thing you already know what you want to do and everything seems planned perfectly, so go ahead and start building. Posted Image I am in no way an expert in Cloud City building but if there is a cross-section of the of the portion that you would like to build, that would really help a lot. I don't have the SW Great Cross Sections book so maybe someone could confirm if there is one for the Cloud City. All of us would be looking forward for the completion of this project. Good luck!

NEW! Legends of Chima Review: 70008 - Gorzan's Gorilla Striker

Posted Image

Currently playing as the Sheriff Kenneth Emanuel in Tamamono's Silver City Mafia

My Eurobricks Page / My flickr / My MOCpages

#5 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Member: 11254

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:13 AM

View PostKielDaMan, on 22 October 2010 - 09:00 AM, said:

Having a very well-thought-of plan and a nice layout is already a great start for your ambitious project Stoutfiles. Posted Image It's a good thing you already know what you want to do and everything seems planned perfectly, so go ahead and start building. Posted Image I am in no way an expert in Cloud City building but if there is a cross-section of the of the portion that you would like to build, that would really help a lot. I don't have the SW Great Cross Sections book so maybe someone could confirm if there is one for the Cloud City. All of us would be looking forward for the completion of this project. Good luck!
It's actually just called the Complete Locations book, Incredible Cross Sections is the vehicle guide, and it has cutaways of both Cloud City and another page focusing on the processing vane where the duel takes place. I don't actually have the book, this info's from Wookieepedia, so I can't give much more detail than that.

#6 Ras 74

Ras 74

• Prince of PM´s

Member: 114

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:05 PM

Good idea, and a great overview that you made for both the Death Star and the cloud city.
Basement, basement, basement, basement, just made me laugh out loud.

Having the "topfloor" open but still the landing pad on top sounds like a really good idea.
I think you should do so that the landing pad can be lift off the rest of the creation.
Same would go for the two rooms "Carbon Freezing Room" and "Duel Area" to give highest playabillity
to the set overall.

I hope to see some progress pictures very soon on this work.

Can´t stress enough that I would want TLG to make an official one as well!!
Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Please read the
Members Guidelines and check the Tutorials Index

Brickshelf Gallery

#7 Future74

Future74

Member: 4801

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:06 PM

Well thought through plan and I like the 'similarity' with the death star set design.
This could be a top notch design if TLC hasnt already designed one.
Since they made the Death Star, a Could City like it isnt unthinkable.

Let's hope and pray  :cry_happy:
I'm not a fool... I'm an AFOL!

My Star Wars Lego sets
My Brickshelf gallery
My MOCs, MODs and Review topic links
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

• Hoping to get it up tonight

Member: 10293

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

From your layout It looks like it's going to be good!  Can't wait. :thumbup:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 47 Assassin, In Heroica RPG, On Quest #125
Flickr, Bricklink Store, Facebook

#9 Zzz

Zzz

• Flick-fires the hell out of aliens!

Member: 1281

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

The outer shape will be the most difficult thing to make, a stable saucer on a stick with interior? Wow... Good luck, mate!

I guess if TLC ever makes a new version, it will be more like 10123 and less like the UCS Death Star I assume.
"I am Iron Man."  -  "I am Groot!"

#10 brickbuilder

brickbuilder

Member: 13696

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:15 PM

Maybe you could try covering the city with plates, like the UCS Death star 2 (10143) and making them easily removable, so it can be displayed both ways. One thing I disliked about the death star playset was that it didn't look much like a death star. just a suggestion.

Edited by brickbuilder, 22 October 2010 - 05:16 PM.

#11 JackRaines

JackRaines

Member: 13870

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:04 AM

View PostRas 74, on 22 October 2010 - 01:05 PM, said:

Good idea, and a great overview that you made for both the Death Star and the cloud city.
Basement, basement, basement, basement, just made me laugh out loud.

Having the "topfloor" open but still the landing pad on top sounds like a really good idea.
I think you should do so that the landing pad can be lift off the rest of the creation.
Same would go for the two rooms "Carbon Freezing Room" and "Duel Area" to give highest playabillity
to the set overall.

I hope to see some progress pictures very soon on this work.

Can´t stress enough that I would want TLG to make an official one as well!!
They already made one!
R.I.P Johnny Thunder.Long live The adventure!

#12 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

Very nice layout, it seems a bit much and alot to hope for, but I think it would be a great UCS set.  I find it hard to believe that they will top the Falcon, but we can hope.

#13 Lego Freak

Lego Freak

Member: 13788

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:19 PM

This sounds interesting, I've always thought that Cloud City looked pretty cool and I can't wait to see how you re-create it in bricks. I also hope to see some pictures soon, good luck!

#14 rriggs

rriggs

Member: 3307

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:15 PM

Nice idea!  Shouldn't there be public area/wide corridor type space outside the meeting room?  There was the little skirmish on the steps around this area...  Also, a small area where C3PO gets busted before being handed in pieces to Chewy?

These were bits of the Cloud City scenes that stick in my memory.

Cheers

Rog
"I bet Einstein turned himself all kinds of colours before he invented the lightbulb"

#15 Darth Lion

Darth Lion

Member: 1754

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:26 PM

Nice start definately!  :thumbup:

You immediately notice how much brain you put into this. :laugh:  
Hope you stay motivated ...  :tongue:

#16 CallMePie

CallMePie

• DAMN Heroica badass

Member: 7199

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

Good work, but I don't know about the torture room. Maybe a droid processing room with a conveyer belt?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Atramor Gibbin, Level 40 Decamon Drafter in Sandy's Heroica RPG
Miderun, Level 13 Barbarian in Sandy's Heroica RPG
Chet Darjak, M.A.N.T.I.S. Special Forces in Andromeda's Gates

#17 StoutFiles

StoutFiles

Member: 13725

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:26 AM

View PostDarth Lion, on 23 October 2010 - 05:26 PM, said:

Nice start definately!  :thumbup:

You immediately notice how much brain you put into this. :laugh:  
Hope you stay motivated ...  :tongue:

I'm ashamed I put this on the backburner for so long, but I'm almost finished.  I fell for the rumors that Lego was going to come out with a new Cloud City and they still haven't, and at this rate I feel it won't be modular when they eventually do.  Sadly, my design is in LDD for people hoping for real pieces, but there's too many pieces to bricklink a WIP.  It will be fun to show off how my design changed as I built it, should be up sometime this week.  Hoping for lots of feedback.

Edited by StoutFiles, 26 February 2012 - 07:28 AM.

#18 TheDarkness

TheDarkness

Member: 3513

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:33 AM

Was thinking someone must have made a strange bump of this thread initially. Cannot wait to see the final product!

#19 Lobot

Lobot

• Needs Some Green

Member: 18202

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

I'm really looking forward to seeing this StoutFiles, especially your design of the landing pad & carbonite chamber.  I've been struggling to design these areas on my version (link here).

I've been quietly hoping that the new Lobot minifigure  :wub:  is a sign that a new Cloud City will be released at some point this year.  Perhaps I'm being too optimistic, but it does seem strange to release Lobot on his own!

#20 JackJonespaw

JackJonespaw

• Help Me Build Hogwarts!

Member: 18405

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

Great! I can't wait to see it finished! Lobot, if there is a Cloud City, in will probably be in 2013.

My Flickr

I'm Sarah Harris. Nice to meet you. Not to eat you.

#21 lego envy

lego envy

Member: 21089

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

Can't wait to see it....sounds promising
Posted Image

#22 WampaStomper

WampaStomper

Member: 25637

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

View PostJackJonespaw, on 26 February 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

Lobot, if there is a Cloud City, in will probably be in 2013.

:wacko: Why would TLC make a 2013 Cloud City? Wouldn't they wait until ESB gets its 3D re-release?
The mouse is mightier than the Wampa, just as the pen is mightier than the sword.
Bigger is almost always better, but the key word is ALMOST!
"One brick to rule them all, one brick to find them, one brick to bring them all and in the darkness build them."

#23 Jedi master Brick

Jedi master Brick

Member: 17806

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostWampaStomper, on 28 February 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

:wacko: Why would TLC make a 2013 Cloud City? Wouldn't they wait until ESB gets its 3D re-release?
Why wait 4 years, the made droid escape this year, same amount of time befor it's 3d release
Posted Image Posted Image[bElgar Gligin, [/b]human, 24 years old, level 22 2/3 druid in Heroica RPG
Jeddam Ashenbow in Sandy's Cruel angel's theis

#24 Brickmamba

Brickmamba

Member: 17142

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

Nice idea for a project, any wip pictures?
My Flickr
My Instagram @kjavis

#25 rakky

rakky

Member: 12766

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

What minifigs would you include mate?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users