Battle of Hoth

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Devastator

Devastator

Member: 1634

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:25 PM

Posted Image
Hello everyone! I would like to introduce my new MOC - battle of Hoth diorama. I signed in to this site in 2007 but this creation is the first thing I'm posting here.

The inspiration came from marshal banana's phtostream on Flickr. I took his snowspeeder and 'P-Tower' models as a basis and created my own variants of those. The base is quite different: it is larger and made by using standard building techniques with some SNOT.

Let's go straight to the pictures. Here is the overall view.

Posted Image

As you can see, the diorama includes a trench with some rebel troopers trying to hold off the enemy, a tauntaun, an Imperial probe droid crashsite, some terrain details such as an elevation with 1.4 FD P-Tower laser cannon standing over it and a T-47 Snowspeeder flying over the battlefield.

Lets take a look at the model from different angles.

Posted Image

A transparent stand mounted over rocky terrain provides support for the speeder. There are some very old yellowed parts: I had to use them due to to the insufficience of white parts.

Posted Image

Top view. You can see a crashed Imperial probot in the left lower corner. In trench there are compact power generator, power converters ans feeding cables attached to the weaponry.

Posted Image

Here is the trench. Energy generator can be seen.

Posted Image

E-WEB heavy repeating blaster.

Posted Image

1.4. FD P-Tower delivering firepower against Imperial targets.

Posted Image

P-Tower separate views.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Now let's take a closer look at the Snowspeeder. In the background there is 'Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels' (in Russian).

Posted Image

I borrowed the idea of using different-coloured plates to recreate heterogeneity of speeder's surface from marshal banana's version of it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rear view. SNOT radiator grill. There is no working tow cable mechanism in my model.

Posted Image

Underside view. There are movable 'air brakes' (things near the black grill).

Posted Image

Cockpit opens to reveal pilot and gunner.

Posted Image

Cockpit view. Pilot's seat.

Posted Image

Gunner's station.

Posted Image

'Exploded' views. Construction distinctive features.

Posted Image
Posted Image

And finally, some funny shots:

A careless skier has gone through time and space to appear in a quite unusual place.

Posted Image

Yeti attacks!

Posted Image

Hope you enjoyed watching this. Thank you for your attention  :classic:

#2 Darth Jar Jar

Darth Jar Jar

Member: 10963

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:28 PM

Wow this is fantastic especially the snow speeder :sweet: So much more accurate than TLGs try :classic:

EDIT: Do you have some instructions :cry_happy:

Edited by Darth Jar Jar, 13 October 2010 - 01:32 PM.

Signature still under construction Posted Image

#3 Primusman

Primusman

Member: 13606

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:31 PM

Very nice! Very nice indeed! I'm really impressed with the level of detail put into this, especially in the trench. I also love the realistic snow banks. Even though you've been here for such a long time, you haven't posted much, so welcome to the boards!
Not only am I obsessed with lego, but with Transformers too. Oh, and music, and Star Wars, and Indy. I can't forget Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter, and-Oh boy!

#4 Skafte

Skafte

Member: 4365

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:33 PM

Wow, great dio!  :thumbup:

The back of the Speeder is very good, and I don't mind the fades white bricks, it looks more realistic that way!

Any plans of more like this?
Brick or treat!

#5 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Gungans taste like chicken

Member: 7997

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:42 PM

Excellent MOC with an AWESOME snow speeder 'Devastator' ! *oh2*
Such detail I don't think I have seen on a speeder like this - too COOL ! :grin:
As yoda might say, bricking......you must.....bricking.....you will ! :yoda:

#6 brickfoot

brickfoot

Member: 7446

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:53 PM

It looks great just a little inaccurate landscape.
Posted Image

#7 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:19 PM

Really great vignette.   The snow looks really good, nice usage of cheese slopes.

The snowspeeder only adds to an already good looking scene.

Great work!

#8 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Member: 5203

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:02 AM

Pretty good Hoth diorama Devastator. I like the fact the you left some stone formations uncovered with snow, which makes this a bit different from other Hoth MOCs that I've seen. I see you have put in there all the necessary elements for a good Battle of Hoth scene, so nice job! :thumbup:

#9 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:33 AM

Very nice. I think the ground has too much grey, but that's all the criticism I can come up with. That Snowspeeder is a work of art! :thumbup:

#10 Fallenangel

Fallenangel

Member: 4964

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:01 AM

Very nice extensive use of slope bricks to give a "rough" feel to the scenery. The body of the Atgar cannon looks a bit too compact compared to the real one but the dish section looks amazing. I just don't understand where you got the idea to put those cylindrical structures on the sides (attached by binoculars - what are those?)

As for the snowspeeder...

The first thing I noticed is that the slope in the front is a whopping 6 studs long. It should definitely be less than that; even on LEGO's rendition it was at most 4 studs out. I think the reason you felt the need to enlarge the front is because the rear portion is too small compared to the rest of the model; there should be a vast platform to the rear of the gunner's viewport. See the studio model below:

Posted Image

I think many of us here are aware by now that many of the diagrams in the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels are quite inaccurate (for example, the AT-ST, the Tantive IV, and the Imperial Star Destroyer). This is a perfect example of why movie screenshots and studio models prove most reliable.
However, I think what you've done with the interior of the snowspeeder is simply amazing. The amount of detail you've crammed into that small space is staggering. And the grilles in the rear are captured more or less perfectly.

I like that you've used both the new cap molds as well as the older pilot helmets for the Hoth troopers, looks very nice.

#11 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Member: 11254

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:11 AM

Whoah, thats a lot of pics! Sorry, I don't exactly uave the fastest Internet service. The base and P-tower look very good, but as fallenangel said, it's a little too long, and not to be hypercritical, but it's also a little blocky compared to, say, the Larry Lars model. Overall, though, it's mch better than anything TLG has ever done.

#12 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

• Hoping to get it up tonight

Member: 10293

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:31 PM

That's great!  The snowspeeder is awesome!  :thumbup:

#13 Flare

Flare

• A phonemonanl speller

Member: 11759

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

Excellent work, one thing that is unique to this MOC to other hoth MOCs that you only featured one side of the fight... unique, good work!  :thumbup:

Posted Image
Playing as Benji Carvenhall, Level 50 2/5 Prophet in Heroica RPG

#14 Legostein

Legostein

• I'm a million!

Member: 1505

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:53 PM

Hello!

It's a very good little diorama, providing the right feeling of the movie. I like the snow techniques you used with the wedges and slopes, it always works well. :classic: The floating snowspeeder is a major point of interest in the diorama. Not only the stand is good due to be transparent, but the speeder itself is also very accurate. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher
Posted Image http://www.deckdesigns.de - Bricks, Building & Beyond Posted Image

#15 Legoking

Legoking

• Classic-Pirates' cabin boy

Member: 3200

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:24 AM

Nice star wars hoth moc! I really like the style of the snowspeeder and the detail on the inside looks like its right from the movie.

Good Job!
My MOC page
My Brickshelf
My Brickset   
My Current Trades

Credit of my wonderful drawn avatar goes to Hound Knight. Posted Image
I am the Lego King of the World!

Support the Pirates forum, buy your LEGO here!

#16 CommanderFox

CommanderFox

• Can't remember his own name

Member: 5406

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:52 AM

Amazing little Dio Devastator! :wub:  :thumbup:
Im really liking the Snowspeeder, much more accurate than the TLG ones, but I still like them. The Tower is beautiful! Spot on again!
The little extra's are nice funny additions. :laugh:
Great job!

CF
My Brickshelf!. The Brick Hope.
Anime and Manga fan, feel free to discuss anything anime on my profile :)
                                          CommanderFox playing as Ollivander Dippet for Gryffindor in Harry Potter Wizards Duel!
Posted ImagePosted Image - Kiwi Bricks

#17 R5-N2

R5-N2

Member: 11057

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:03 AM

Very nice job...  :thumbup:

... embrace the dark side of the brick ...

Posted Image

flickr

#18 marshal_banana

marshal_banana

• Now this IS a Sandcrawler

Member: 8059

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:57 AM

Yes I like the scene it's a great capture. The original design of the snowspeeder is from Larry Lars and not mine.
As others mentioned to improve the snowspeeder I would shorten the nose and pick an other windscreen - the angle should be the same.

Beside of that it's really well done!

Cheers! MB

,-.( ),-.

---◊-–◊',-.\)(/,-.'◊–-◊---

-◊-

Posted Image

flickr | youtube | twitter

#19 Ceroknight

Ceroknight

• Straight Up Cero!

Member: 12949

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:40 AM

wow thats so good! I like how its very small and concise will a lot of detail. I think this is better than big with little detail (or better big and detailed  :tongue: ) anyhow, I like the detailed snowspeeder most of all.
Ceroknight
Posted Image Posted Image
Photo by Librarian-bot:His Fantastic Deviantart page
Brickset  Flickr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users