Fun facts about early BSB

17 replies to this topic  – Started by Boomchil , Oct 05 2010 04:34 AM

#1 Boomchil

Boomchil
  • Pirate Reviewer Extraordinaire

Member: 10064

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:34 AM

Hi everyone!

Last sunday I've been able to get a MIB 6285 Black Sea's Barracuda, and I noticed two stranges facts that I've never heard of before.

First, instructions came with a lose page (step 6). At first I thought my instructions were damaged, but looking closer it appears that original instructions have an error. Look for yourself (the original instructions are on top) :

Posted Image

But there is another strange fact : when I had to put on the rigging, I saw there were really bent, it looked weird. I've checked masts to see if they were put correctly, and instructions to see if I didn't forget something : nothing wrong.

I then took one of my second BSB's rigging : it fit perfectly. Odd. It finally appears that my 4 rigging are about 1 stud longer than "normal" ones.

Here are the rigging (the 2 on the bottom are from my previous BSB, the 2 on the top come from my "new" one)

Posted Image

Strange, isn't it?

Looking closer, I've seen another detail :

Posted Image

Can you see it? The left one (ie the smaller one) is marked with a "02", where the right one (the one that comes from my "new" BSB) is marked "01".

I've checked all of my other sets (Forbidden Island, Rock Island Refugee, Caribbean Clipper...), they all have the normal "02" one.

Even on Bricklink, there is only one model referenced (Brown Boat Mast Rigging Long 27 x 5).

Now, what can we think about that?

Maybe my "new" BSB is one of the very first batch (it's a french model) that appeared on the market. In fact, all of the other BSB I've seen do not have these errors, instructions are corrected and the rigging doesn't look strange (it's just one stud longer, but that make them *really* bent).

Maybe I've gotten a rare treasure  :pir-grin:

Have you seen these errors before? What number of rigging do you have? The normal 02 ones, or the rare 01 ones :pir-wub:?

PS : Sorry if my english hurts you ;)

Posted Image

#2 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Member: 273

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:53 AM

View PostBoomchil, on 05 October 2010 - 04:34 AM, said:

Now, what can we think about that?
We can think you've uncovered a conspiracy the LEGO Group tried very hard to bury in the hopes that nobody would ever uncover it! :pir-grin:

#3 Boomchil

Boomchil
  • Pirate Reviewer Extraordinaire

Member: 10064

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:27 PM

View PostMister Phes, on 05 October 2010 - 06:53 AM, said:

We can think you've uncovered a conspiracy the LEGO Group tried very hard to bury in the hopes that nobody would ever uncover it! :pir-grin:

:pir_laugh2: maybe it's true.

Do you think I Should contact Bricklink to tell them that there are two kind of rigging?

Posted Image

#4 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Member: 273

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:42 PM

If you think it would make the world a better place.  For years people have been assuming all the rigging is the same - this could change the way MOCers think about rigging!

#5 Zorro

Zorro
  • Farewell Dieter!

Member: 3951

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for sharing this info and pics with us, Boomchill, I wish I were into your place opening a MISB BSB.

#6 Captain Blackmoor

Captain Blackmoor
  • Hates Redcoats, likes crab meat

Member: 4015

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

I've never been aware of the rigging! Although it's just a small thing, so it shouldn't be a big problem for MOCing.
You certainly have an eye for detail!
I hope you will enjoy your BSB set. :pir-classic:

Sail to My Brickshelf or to My MOCpages, or my Flickr Photostream!

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines  - Index of helpful tutorials

Avalonia Trading Company

#7 steele

steele

Member: 6936

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:13 AM

I'll check my BSB soon, it's old enough that it has working cannons, and I'm the original owner so I know it has 100% original rigging pieces as it came out of the box.  :)

I do know however, that my BSB rigging has always seemed "a bit too long"--they will often pull the 1x1 clips up off their base as there's so much tension in them.

Edited by steele, 07 October 2010 - 06:15 AM.

#8 Wowplayer

Wowplayer

Member: 1327

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:35 AM

Now you've made me curious. I don't have the original one, I have the Legend re-release issue of the BSB. Now I'm going to have to check mine to see if I've got the same issue. Probably not, as mine is a re-release, but I'm still curious.

#9 Dreamweb

Dreamweb
  • Thanks for your contributions!

Member: 396

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:44 AM

Now that you've mentioned it...

I've had a total of 3 BSBs in my life (no Legends, just the original sets) and I've noticed some differences. I don't know if this has anything to do with the release date, but still...

For one, the "red flags" which cover the gunports, were standard red in one of the ships, but in two other sets they were significaltly darker, with a rougher surface. Something between normal red and today's dark red, the colour which AFAIK wasn't officially introduced back then. I'm not sure but I think earlier sets had dark red flags which were replaced with standard red in later models. I can easily take pictures of those if you wish.

Also, one of the sets had a most unusual feature. This time I'm sure it was just bad molding of the mast pieces:

Posted Image Posted Image

When I connected the upper part (seen on the right) with the lower part (seen on the left), the 'arms' that the sails are later attached to (the ones on the upper part) were not facing straight forward, but they were at a certain angle. It's because the grooves at the top of the lower part were not in the right places (like, say 12, 3, 6 and 9 on the clock):
Posted Image
Instead, they were slightly off, still at the correct distance from each other, but not at the right angle with the rest of the mast. The only thing I could do not to make it look silly was not to insert the upper part into the lower part completely, leaving some space so that the upper part does not sit in the grooves.

That molding mistake was repeated in both masts in one of my BSBs, and I still have those masts used in one of my MOCs. I can also take pictures of those, but that would require partially disassembling my ship.

Anyone noticed those things too?

#10 SlyOwl

SlyOwl
  • Watch out for Infuriated Isaac's metatarsal!

Member: 2057

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:56 PM

View PostDreamweb, on 12 October 2010 - 07:44 AM, said:

Anyone noticed those things too?
No, but I find it interesting that your middle mast section has a different bottom from all of mine; mine only have recessed bottoms, without that protruding hollow lump in the middle (which presumably makes it a better fit). Mine are from the original BSB and SES.

Also, I have two types of the top mast piece. On the very top arm (for attaching the sails), on the back, one has molded triangulation - just a small triangle of plastic. All my others don't have this.

To the barricades!
Posted Image

#11 halfpenguinhalflego

halfpenguinhalflego

Member: 6437

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

Maybe it is the 2002 version?
My FlickrPosted Image Posted Image  Posted Image

#12 Captain Blackmoor

Captain Blackmoor
  • Hates Redcoats, likes crab meat

Member: 4015

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

That would be a legends set. Dreamweb has 3 original BSB's as he said. :pir-classic:
Unfortunately I don't have a BSB set, but I'll start to check out my Redbeard Runner and Armada Flagship. I have two Armada flagships so let's see. :pir-blush:

Sail to My Brickshelf or to My MOCpages, or my Flickr Photostream!

Read the site guidelines  - Index of helpful tutorials

Avalonia Trading Company

#13 AndyC

AndyC

Member: 6485

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

My BSB has a similar issue with the mast base. Figured it was just a one off, but maybe not. Bought it secoond hand, so no idea how original the pieces were, though the set was in an original box.
Posted Image

#14 Section8

Section8

Member: 857

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:34 PM

View PostBoomchil, on 05 October 2010 - 04:27 PM, said:

Do you think I Should contact Bricklink to tell them that there are two kind of rigging?
Yes, I do.  Unlike other parts with different versions (like minifig heads with solid or hollow studs), this has an effect on construction.  I have a BSB that I received in 1990 and it has the shorter rigging which seems to fit well.  However, I just bought a Caribbean Clipper which appears to have all original parts and it has the slightly longer rigging.  Due to the use of just one rigging piece, it causes the mast to be pushed forward an appreciable amount.  I would like to purchase a shorter replacement so that this does not occur, and if BrickLink distinguished the two rigging sizes, I could be sure of what I am getting.  I'm sure others feel the same way.

P.S. My BSB did not come with a correction page in the instructions.  Clearly I received the 'revised' version of the set.

Edited by Section8, 05 December 2010 - 09:36 PM.

#15 Tazmaniac

Tazmaniac
  • Swings in the right weather conditions

Member: 13585

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

both my BSB and CC (both original release with firing cannons) have the 02 type rigging but my forbidden Island has the 01 type short ones..... I'd never noticed before, that's why they bow so much ....... my rigging's all custom now anyway.
My instructions were normal (bought in Australia Xmas in 1989, go mum and dad!) :pir-cry_happy:

May you be touched by his noodly appendage
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials| Eurobricks FAQ

#16 Big Cam

Big Cam
  • A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:15 AM

I have an original bsb,  I'll have to check and see what pieces mine has.  This is interesting, especially the instruction misprint.

#17 lt.Gonville brickhead

lt.Gonville brickhead

Member: 10353

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:37 AM

Hmm I definately wouldn't have noticed that it was different. (even though I check each step about 3 times :pir-grin:.)
Molds are made of metal so I didn't think that this was possible. :pir-sceptic:
Posted Image

For the glory of the british empire
what empire
there is none                                  
sombody should tell them

Theres nothing wrong with me theres just something
not right that makes me better

#18 Tazmaniac

Tazmaniac
  • Swings in the right weather conditions

Member: 13585

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:48 AM

View Postlt.Gonville brickhead, on 08 December 2010 - 12:37 AM, said:

Hmm I definately wouldn't have noticed that it was different. (even though I check each step about 3 times :pir-grin:.)
Molds are made of metal so I didn't think that this was possible. :pir-sceptic:
They are from different moulds hence the different numbers on the elements.

May you be touched by his noodly appendage
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials| Eurobricks FAQ

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links