muell

Christmas Trains

Im already trying to plan a lego display for under the Christmas tree using the toy shop and bakery and some type of train. I know lego made a christmas train but I dont want to pay the prices those are going for so I would like to use the emerald night as a starting point and just make it a little more festive. Does any one have any pictures of trains they have built with the winter/ holiday theme to give me some inspiration?

I build on average of 2 years something with lego.

this is from christmas layout 2006 at home.

christmas 2006

and christmas layout 2008 ath home

christmas 2008

:wink:

That is simply stunning. I love the dark pics as well. I can't believe youcemade that twice.

christmas 2006

christmas 2008

Very nice!

May I ask what you used for your lighting system in your 2006 layout?

Well... there's all sorts of things you can do on your own, there. We've done our own open carriages with presents in it (like the Holiday Train), the presents are really simple to make.

You can also use white (tiles or plates) to make "snow" on your cars. The EN carriage conveniently has a couple of technic holes on the sides of the carriage (where the 1x1 tan pieces go), where you could put some green branches (again, much like the Holiday Train). You could also decorate inside the carriage (remove some seats, add a tree and presents... lighting would be exceptional).

As for me... I've been collecting parts for so long for trains that, after now having the bakery and the toy shop, I decided I really wanted the Holiday Train... but I'm a cheap bastard, so I parted it out into a wanted list on BL, removed what I already had, and the remaining list of what I needed was quite small, so I've got a bunch of stuff on order for that. It won't be perfect... I'll have to use my own minifigures (although I have a number of train ones, so that should work OK).

The EN would definitely make a classier Christmas train... you could also alternate red pieces for some of the EN green ones (I don't mean completely red, I mean alternate red and green).

Very nice!

May I ask what you used for your lighting system in your 2006 layout?

I used high tensity leds

green bleu and red

Edited by patje

Best "Christmas train" I've seen so far is definitely Tony's Polar Express. Luckily, he's already posted a link to it.

I also tried my hand at building a steam train for Santa last year, but it was a real quick build and nothing too special.

Which reminds me that I need to start thinking about this year's train - I've set my sights on building a GWR 2844 Class and adding wagons filled with presents a-la Holiday Train.

patje thats the kind of inspiration I was looking for I hope to eventually have a layout like that. Awesome.

Tony the polar express looks incredible. Its alot more than Im ready for now but definately incredible.

Don't know how much of an inspiration it will be, but I've built the Polar Express.

4165066143_9bf5833f20.jpg

Full Gallery

--Tony

That is just amazingly beautiful :cry_happy: , why can't TLG do something like this, notice AFOL can make better trains with detail and features than TLG, That is just sad. :sceptic: come TLG!!!

That is just amazingly beautiful :cry_happy: , why can't TLG do something like this, notice AFOL can make better trains with detail and features than TLG, That is just sad. :sceptic: come TLG!!!

It would be too expensive. Ask Tony to estimate how much it cost, then imagine TLG trying to make a profit on it... and guess how well it would sell. You'd buy it, I'd probably buy it... but we're a tiny fraction of their audience.

It would be too expensive. Ask Tony to estimate how much it cost, then imagine TLG trying to make a profit on it... and guess how well it would sell. You'd buy it, I'd probably buy it... but we're a tiny fraction of their audience.

Exactly. First and foremost, it's 8-wide, which LEGO doesn't do. Even so, I've already built a copy on commission, back when it was a simpler design, and making a minuscule profit on it it cost the client $450 (including two 9v motors and shipping). Granted, this was 5 years ago or so, so some prices on parts would have gone down, and some may have come up. But my design is also more complex now, including a nearly studless locomotive.

I can't see TLG making this a set unless it sold it a la carte, like the Santa Fe Super Chief.

--Tony

True it'd probably cost more due to higher brick count, and it's a good bet that only 1 car would be included, not 3. But Polar Express is a fairly popular holiday movie and I'm sure lots of kids would like this set.

I'm hoping the instruction will be released before this holiday so I could have one.

Don't know how much of an inspiration it will be, but I've built the Polar Express.

Full Gallery

--Tony

Beautifully done... Normally i'm not the person who likes steamers, but this one is constructed ver nice, i think...it will do very good under the christmas-tree, within a few months.. riding around!!! :sweet:

christmas 2006

christmas 2008

Fantastic, I also love the lights and the snow. What kind of product did you use for the snow? Was it easy to remove from the bricks afterwards?

First i though at that would be a real set, but sadly it is not :cry_sad: I want to get that train to my self too, its so realistic and beatiful (Even at im not much into trains, but steam trains... yes, i love them)

Exactly, i hate when TLG wont do sets like these, they just dont seem to understand what peapole really want. They should really register on this site and get some

inspiration on these sets, even publish them. (Sorry about the off topic)

Captain Becker

True it'd probably cost more due to higher brick count, and it's a good bet that only 1 car would be included, not 3. But Polar Express is a fairly popular holiday movie and I'm sure lots of kids would like this set.

I'm hoping the instruction will be released before this holiday so I could have one.

Did you check Tony's store on bricklink?

For some reason I'm doubting he can even sell instructions for what would be a licensed theme.

Did you check Tony's store on bricklink?

For some reason I'm doubting he can even sell instructions for what would be a licensed theme.

I'm hoping to get the instructions finished soon. However, as you point out, I can't call it by a trademarked name. The instructions I will be selling will be for the "North Pole Limited".

--Tony

Exactly, i hate when TLG wont do sets like these, they just dont seem to understand what people really want.

They do sell a set like this, the Emerald Night. (Of course, Sava's polar express train is more spectacular, but still, it's great that we can buy a wonderful steam train for only $100).

I love Tony his trains. :wub: If Lego would decide to sell them as is, I think the price point of the train would be beyond most peoples purchase power. Tony, can you give an guesstimate of the number of bricks involved? For price point estimate, I would think a good guess is: #bricks x 10 = price point estimate.

The only way to make them affordable to more people is to sell locomotives and cars separately. But since Lego discontinued that approach a few years back I am unsure if it was a great seller. But maybe nowadays people are more willing to buy stuff online from Lego than a few years back.

I love Tony his trains. :wub: If Lego would decide to sell them as is, I think the price point of the train would be beyond most peoples purchase power. Tony, can you give an guesstimate of the number of bricks involved? For price point estimate, I would think a good guess is: #bricks x 10 = price point estimate.

The only way to make them affordable to more people is to sell locomotives and cars separately. But since Lego discontinued that approach a few years back I am unsure if it was a great seller. But maybe nowadays people are more willing to buy stuff online from Lego than a few years back.

I have an old, outdated LDraw file of the Polar Express, before I retrofitted the locomotive (again) to be studless and add more detail. So I can give you a part total for the locomotive, tender, and three passenger cars, but it will be a severely low-balled estimate of what you see there in that photo.

I think you meant # of bricks x 0.10 = price point estimate, equaling $0.10 a brick.

The older version of the train has somewhere around 2,150 parts. I can't be exact because the the file includes some lighting elements (back when I was trying to render it) and track, and I didn't bother to count them all to remove them from the total.

This would give a theoretical price point of $215. I don't know how many extra parts there will be when I finally get the new locomotive rendered in LDraw, but I can't imagine it being more than a theoretical price point of $250.

However, if this were to be a Licensed product, even if it didn't add any more cost simply by being licensed, you would still need to add in minifigs at least, and possibly track and even PF equipment. You could easily find it topping out over $300 or $350.

--Tony

Edited by SavaTheAggie

Fantastic, I also love the lights and the snow. What kind of product did you use for the snow? Was it easy to remove from the bricks afterwards?

it is a white plastic powder

easily to remove

with painter brush ore vacuum cleaner

I will look if i find a pocket

and i make a pictere of it...

:look:

Edited by patje

For price point estimate, I would think a good guess is: #bricks x 10 = price point estimate.

Of course that depends a bit on the market too. It works roughly for Euro and US$ but a better estimate for AU$ is #bricks x 15 cents. Either way it works out at a very expensive train. I'm glad we got the Emerald Night and hope exclusive trains continues in the future. I think there is scope to make a slightly more expensive train than the EN if it included more carriages.

I'm hoping to get the instructions finished soon. However, as you point out, I can't call it by a trademarked name. The instructions I will be selling will be for the "North Pole Limited".

--Tony

Why don't you just label the instructions as Pere Marquette 1225? :tongue:

But seriously, I really do love that train. It's one of my all time favorites.

I've been wanting to make a steam engine myself for a little while, Christmas might be the perfect excuse to do it.

Why don't you just label the instructions as Pere Marquette 1225? :tongue:

But seriously, I really do love that train. It's one of my all time favorites.

I've been wanting to make a steam engine myself for a little while, Christmas might be the perfect excuse to do it.

Pere Marquette 1225 would probably work the best. Then rely on word of mouth that Polar Express train uses the same engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pere_Marquette_1225

As it happens I live in Tuscola County, Michigan it would be easy for me to get to the engine. I'll print the first page of Sava's manual or bring along Lego model and try to get photograph of it next to the real thing. :sweet:

Edited by Lego Otaku