ADHO15

Harry Potter: Wizard's Duel - Introduction & Discussion

ADHO15 and pedro proudly present:

hpwd_logo.png

Note: Harry Potter: Wizard’s Duel is a fan-made forum based duelling game, made out of love for LEGO and J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter universe to be played by fans. The Duel Sequence core combat system is copyright © Peter Hentze. All intellectual properties copyright © their respective owners.

The Wizarding World has been thrown into turmoil! The evil Lord Voldemort has returned and his dark minions the Death Eaters wreak havoc on the lives of wizards and muggles alike.

At Hogwarts the valiant Harry Potter teaches Defense Against the Dark Arts to a the secret study group known as Dumbledore’s Army before his discoveries lead him on a most dangerous quest to find a means to destroy the Dark Lord.

Meanwhile the Death Eaters seek a way to overthrow his mentor Albus Dumbledore and take the world as their own. Insidious agents infiltrate the Ministry of Magic and Hogwarts itself, recruiting fresh blood cause and commanding dark, malevolent forces as they weave their wicked machinations...

But Dumbledore has re-activated the Order of the Phoenix: a secret society of valiant Aurors pledged to defeat Lord Voldemort and his minions and protect the innocent. More and more young wizards and witches join their cause, united as one as the forces of darkness threaten to draw a black shroud over everything they know.

Now is the time to make a stand... but will it be with the forces of light or of dark? Only you can decide and for better or for worse perhaps become as renown as Harry Potter himself!

Introduction

Harry Potter: Wizard’s Duel is a fast paced, forum based duelling game set in the Harry Potter universe where players use their LEGO collection to create and name their own custom witch or wizard to duel against opponents. As they progress, they learn exciting Spells or harness the power of the Unknowable curses on their path to becoming a heroic Auror… or a terrifying Death Eater!

Getting Started

Wizard’s Duel requires 3 players to play: 2 players and a Referee. If together in person a Referee is not required but players will require some paper and a pencil or pen in addition to their custom LEGO minifig.

First, each player must create and name their original character. Some background is an excellent way to flesh out their fledgling character. Initially, characters start as Students and can choose a Hogwarts house they belong to. Soon enough they will be fighting duels and their character will gain experience and grow!

An image of the character together with backstory and statistics should then be posted on forum so all Wizard’s Duel players can see and compare characters. Below is an example layout for a rank 3 character (Adept).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fabien Avenall | Gryffindor Adept

>picture<

Health: 5

Spells

Expelliarmus

Stupefy

Mastery Powers

None

Bio

Born in Southern France but raised in Scotland, Fabian showed a talent for magic from an early age… etc.

Duel History

Won: 3

Lost: 0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then by mutual agreement, or by challenge, players select an opponent to duel!

Note: The Referee should have a good grasp of the rules and abilities of Wizard's Duel to allow play to progress smoothly.

Duel Sequence

• Players list their character’s Duel Sequence and send privately to Referee.

• Duel Sequences are compared by Referee; damage and health reduction is calculated.

• Referee posts results.

• Players begin next round.

• First character to lose all health loses duel - winner is celebrated!

Duels consist of 3 rounds but may be shorter or longer depending on the progress of the duel. During each round a player selects and types a list of 5 actions for their character to perform. This is called a Duel Sequence. An action can be an attack, parry or a use a powerful ability; damaging their opponent, blocking, countering or a combination thereof.

To begin the first round, players list their character’s Duel Sequences and send them to the Referee who compares the sequences and calculates the damage inflicted and health reduction. The Referee then posts the results for everyone to see. Play continues with a second round and third until one character has triumphed, reducing his opponents health to zero or having most remaining health after 3 rounds.

In the event of a tie, the first character whose health was reduced to zero first loses. If a tie happens simultaneously then an extra Sudden Death round is played (see the Sudden Death section for details).

Actions

Attack: Wand attacks form the basis of the Duel Sequence. There are 4 types of standard attacks: low attack (LOW), medium attack (MID), high (HIGH) and the spell Silencio. LOW attacks defeat MID; MID defeat HIGH; HIGH defeat LOW. Silencio will defeat the Protego spell, but is defeated by any other learned spell.

Protego: A player can cast the Protego Shield Charm to block an attack. A block nullifies most potentially damaging attacks. Protego can be defeated (or silenced) by Silencio.

hpwd_diagram.png

Spells: As characters duel and become more experienced so they learn more powerful spells and gain special new abilities. A spell can be used once per round. These have a variety of uses and effects and can sway the tide of the duel substantially! See the Spell Book section for details.

Mastery Powers: These represent the peak of a witch or wizard’s power and are the most powerful – and dangerous – abilities or spells in the game. See the Mastery Powers sections for details.

Counter

A counter occurs when players select the same attack or spell at the same point in their Duel Sequence. In this event, neither character receives any damage.

Health & Damage

All characters begin a Wizard’s Duel with 5 health. Every winning attack in a Duel Sequence inflicts 1 damage on their opponent, reducing health by 1. When a character’s health is reduced to zero, it automatically loses the duel.

Rounds & Sudden Death

Duels generally consist of a maximum of 3 rounds and, in the event of a tie, a sudden death round. If a character is reduced to zero health before the end of any given round then they automatically lose the duel in that round. This means a character can potentially be defeated in the first round of their duel with no need to continue! If both characters are tied on health at the end of the 3rd round, a sudden death round is played. The first character to be dealt damage loses the duel.

In the event of a tie in the sudden death round the duel is considered a draw.

Character Progression

Harry Potter: Wizard’s Duel allows players the chance to watch their character progress, from a Student to Auror or Death Eater. Progress is measured in 5 ranks: all characters begin as Students, possessing no additional spells or powers. To progress to the next rank, a player must win the number of duels equivalent to that rank.

• Student - Possesses no additional spells or powers. 2 wins to next rank.

• Practitioner - Player can choose 1 Spell. 3 wins to next rank.

• Adept - Player can choose 1 extra Spell. 4 wins to next rank.

• Magus - Player can choose 1 Mastery Power. 5 wins to next rank.

• Auror / Death Eater - Player can choose 1 extra Mastery Power.

Players must keep a record of their rank and abilities where they can be seen by everyone.

Spells

As characters duel they become more experienced and more skilled with the magic arts. To represent this, characters choose a new Spell every time they gain rank, choosing a Mastery Power (see Mastery Powers) upon reaching the highest rank.

Once a player has chosen their character’s spells or powers, these CANNOT be changed again. Only by creating an entirely new character (or restarting their current character) will they be able to choose a different path.

Using a Spell

To use a character’s spell, players simply list it where they want in the Duel Sequence. Only one of each type of spell may be used in a round, but more than one different type of spell may be used if a character possesses them. Below are listed the selection of spells.

Spell Book

• Protego, Silencio – These are starting Spells and are detailed above in the Actions section.

• Expelliarmus - The Disarming Charm causes the adversary’s wand to fly out of reach while completely throwing them off their feet. Blocks opponent’s attack while simultaneously performing a disarming (Silencio) spell.

Good Spells

• Stupefy - The witch or wizard casts a jet of red light at their opponent, temporarily causing them to lose consciousness. Defeats any attack. Blockable.

• Expecto Patronum - Conjures an incarnation of the caster’s positive feelings known as a Patronus. The Patronus shields the wizard or witch from harm and repels evil forces. Completely cancels opponent’s action.

Evil Spells

• Crucio – One of the three Unforgiveable Curses, the Cruciatus Curse inflicts unbearable pain on the opponent. Defeats any attack. Blockable.

• Imperio – The Imperius Curse, another of the three Unforgiveable Curses, causes the victim to completely obey the commands of the caster. Completely cancels opponent’s action.

Note: Good and evil spells have similar effects but are defined as their alignment would suggest. Spells with the same effects will counter each other, i.e. Stupefy counters Crucio and vice versa.

Mastery Powers

Mastery Powers represent the pinnacle of witch or wizard’s ability, skills and techniques they have refined that make them an awesome adversary! Some Mastery Powers are used in a similar way to spells in as such they need to be listed in the Duel Sequence. These are called ACTIVE Mastery Powers. Mastery Powers that are in continual effect and don’t require to be listed are called PASSIVE Powers.

Mastery Power List

• Divination - The character can divine the fates or prophesise the outcome of the duel, conferring the following abilities: 1) During the third round the character can opt to INCREASE the duel by one round by using DIVINATION action. This is not classed as a Sudden Death round which can follow on from this extra round as normal. Character automatically blocks when this ability is used. Active. 2) The character wins Sudden Death rounds automatically. Passive.

Note: When 2 characters with Divination duel, their powers cancel each other out!

• Toughness - Particularly strong, tough or giant born, the character gains +1 health. Passive.

Note: Toughness ability only increases a character's health by 1, it doesn't give the character the ability to regenerate or gain health each round.

• Studious – The witch or wizard has spent much time studying and has become extremely proficient in the magic arts. Can choose 1 extra Spell. Passive.

• Sectumsempra – Created by Severus Snape, this terrible Spell violently wounds the target, the effect of which is likened to being slashed by a sword. The character can cause 2 damage with a single LOW, MID or HIGH attack per round. Active.

• Natural Talent – By nature an incredibly powerful witch or wizard, attack counters cause 1 damage to opponent. Attacks affected are: High, Mid, Low, Silencio, Expelliarmus, Stupefy, Crucio and Sectumsempra. Passive.

Note: Because of the defensive nature of Protego, Expecto Patronum and Imperio (and the fact that this Power primarily affects attacks) these are not affected by Natural Talent.

Glossary

A list of terms used in Harry Potter: Wizard’s Duel

Action - Attack, block or Spell or active Mastery Power. 5 are listed in the Duel Sequence.

Block - Action which prevents damage i.e. Protego.

Character - A players’s custom character.

Counter - Drawn attack. Automatic block for both characters.

Damage - Damage inflicted upon a character. Reduces health.

Duel - A complete game of Harry Potter: Wizard's Duel.

Duel Sequence - A list of 5 actions a player determines their character to perform in a single round.

Health - Total and remaining damage a character can sustain.

High - High Attack. Defeats low.

Low - Low attack. Defeats mid.

Mastery Power - Selectable special power. Chosen when character achieves highest rank.

Mid - Medium attack. Defeats high.

Round - A single segment of game time where a Duel Sequence is listed, compared, calculated and shown.

Silencio - Defeats Protego. Defeated by any other attack or Spell.

Spell – Special action. Chosen when character increases in rank.

Sudden Death - Extra round to determine duel outcome.

Massive thanks to the wonderful pedro for writing these rules and allowing this game to go ahead!

The spirit of the game comes from creating your own good or bad wizard, dueling others and watching your character grow and become a powerful warrior! Please feel free to fire away with any questions. These rules are taken directly from pedro's rule document and converted from those of Jedi Duel. If you'd like a copy for yourself, to print out and maybe play with more of your friends, send either pedro or myself your email address by PM and we'll sort it out for you.

There are 2 other threads for the game:

The Character Records. Upload your characters here.

The Duelling Club. Where the duels take place.

Please only post questions and discussion in this thread, and characters etc. in the relevant threads.

Once people have the hang of the rules they'll be able to adjudicate too so the duels won't rely on me being online. The more players we get involved the more Wizard Duels there will be!

Hope you enjoy playing Harry Potter: Wizard's Duel!

Edited by ADHO15

Hmm.

It´s very similar to Jedi Duel.

But I´ll give it a shot.

Just one question:Does it matter what "house" you choose?

Minxter

Yes, no offence, but this looks exactly the same as Jedi Duel, just with re-named 'Force Powers'.

Just one question:Does it matter what "house" you choose?

Not at all. It just adds some extra creativity on your part. Why don't you see if you can get your house to match your character's personality?

Yes, no offence, but this looks exactly the same as Jedi Duel, just with re-named 'Force Powers'.

That's sort of the point, CallMePie. It's just a Harry Potter version of Jedi Duel with a few differences in moves and format. It's supposed to appeal to a different audience. With the popularity of the new films and LEGO wave, we thought it'd be a good time to edit the game to suit those fans.

As I said, I'm co-hosting this game with pedro, so it's not like I've stolen the idea but changed the words.

Start planning your characters now! The entry thread will be open soon!

1st this really deserves some frontpage attention. :classic:

I will defiantly join and try to work my way up, it creates a nice new spin to the original game. :thumbup:

...this looks exactly the same as Jedi Duel, just with re-named 'Force Powers'.

There's many Harry Potter fans on Eurobricks, ADHO and I included! We both thought that a version of Jedi Duel set in the Harry Potter universe would be fun and hopefully other Potter fans will feel the same. It is essentially the same game system but with a Harry Potter spin and a couple of small changes to the rules but as always there's a lot of scope for everyone to create some wild and wondrful characters and have fun!

Harry Potter? Probably give this one a miss... :sceptic:

:tongue:

I really want to enter, hopefully I can soon get a decent camera. I've already starting thinking up ideas, am I allowed a wand-wielding Goblin? I know their not allowed them, but surely one could make an exception?

I've already starting thinking up ideas, am I allowed a wand-wielding Goblin? I know their not allowed them, but surely one could make an exception?

Please. Somebody was a giant troll in Jedi Duel, I think you're good. :laugh:

Seems interesting! Though I'm not really an HP fan, I might give this a try since I've been into Jedi Duel lately, which has exactly the same game mechanics so it would be easy to adapt. Is there already a character databank where the characters could be posted?

Another question, does your character need to be human? (like the normal students in Hogwarts). Or it could be other creature-/alien- form?

Edited by KielDaMan

Harry Potter? Probably give this one a miss... :sceptic:

This really shocked me! :tongue:

I really want to enter, hopefully I can soon get a decent camera. I've already starting thinking up ideas, am I allowed a wand-wielding Goblin? I know their not allowed them, but surely one could make an exception?

Another question, does your character need to be human? (like the normal students in Hogwarts). Or it could be other creature-/alien- form?

I guess magical creatures are okay, to an extent. Just make sure they're from the world of Harry Potter and are able to perform spells. No aliens or blast-ended skrewts! :laugh:

Is there already a character databank where the characters could be posted?

It has just opened. :wink:

I guess magical creatures are okay, to an extent. Just make sure they're from the world of Harry Potter and are able to perform spells. No aliens or blast-ended skrewts! :laugh:

:hmpf_bad: Great, there goes my staff-wielding Jabba the Hutt.

:tongue:

I wanted to be a magical troll warrior from middle earth. :sadnew:

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification. Like Prof. flitwick and Eskallon, I would have wanted to have a non-human character, but I guess the World of HP is less varied in terms of character types compared to SW. Then, I shall be a normal human wizard student. :grin:

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification. Like Prof. flitwick and Eskallon, I would have wanted to have a non-human character, but I guess the World of HP is less varied in terms of character types compared to SW. Then, I shall be a normal human wizard student. :grin:

I said you could be non-human. Sentient magical creatures like Gobins, House Elves, Centaurs, Vampires, Half-Giants, etc. would be okay. I don't thing trolls would be intelligent enough to participate in a magical duel, and I don't recall any mention of Hutts in Harry Potter. :tongue:

I said you could be non-human. Sentient magical creatures like Gobins, House Elves, Centaurs, Vampires, Half-Giants, etc. would be okay. I don't thing trolls would be intelligent enough to participate in a magical duel, and I don't recall any mention of Hutts in Harry Potter. :tongue:

Sounds like somebody needs to read:

Harry Potter and the Deal on Tattoine, by P.F. Flitwick!

Hm... Despite my love for Star Wars, I wasn't particularly interested in Jedi Duel as it just seemed like a variation on rock-paper-scissors, but it seemed to be relatively popular, so I just might join this, just to show my support for HP-themed activities (as well as a HP Month). :grin:

Is there any deadline for joining?

@ ADHO: You might want to remove the "Opening Shortly" in the first post and give links to the respective threads. :wink: And I hope this game wont distract you too much from hosting CC. :tongue:

@ Flitwick: REDUCE YOUR SIG DAMMIT! :laugh:

Hmm, in Jedi Duel, I managed to write a bio but that was the maximum of my involvement ... I wonder if it's worth me seeing if I could get a picture up this time. :P

Hey Oky, according to EB, I have chosen to block all posts from you ... :/ Nothing personal, so how do I change it? :P

Edited by The crazy one

Well, this sounds like it is in my genre, count me in! Does your fig shot need to be just head/torso or the entire fig?

Sirius

Is there any deadline for joining?

No, you're free to join and participate at any time. Best to get involved before everyone becomes Aurors/Death Eaters though!

Does your fig shot need to be just head/torso or the entire fig?

It's up to you - I personally think it looks cool to see the characters in some kind of scene/vignette.

Okay, character posted in the character thread! Hopefully I'll do better in this than in Jedi Duel...

Sounds like somebody needs to read:

Harry Potter and the Deal on Tattoine, by P.F. Flitwick!

:laugh:

@ ADHO: You might want to remove the "Opening Shortly" in the first post and give links to the respective threads. :wink: And I hope this game wont distract you too much from hosting CC. :tongue:

I knew I'd forgotten something! Thanks for the reminder. It's fixed now.

Of course not! I'll always have time for that too!

Hm... Despite my love for Star Wars, I wasn't particularly interested in Jedi Duel as it just seemed like a variation on rock-paper-scissors, but it seemed to be relatively popular, so I just might join this, just to show my support for HP-themed activities (as well as a HP Month). :grin:

Hmm, in Jedi Duel, I managed to write a bio but that was the maximum of my involvement ... I wonder if it's worth me seeing if I could get a picture up this time. :P

Well, this sounds like it is in my genre, count me in! Does your fig shot need to be just head/torso or the entire fig?

Hell yeah I'm joining!

We look forward to seeing your characters. :classic:

No aliens or blast-ended skrewts! :laugh:

But a blast-ended skrewt would be AWESOME. Not that I have any idea how to build one in LEGO.

I'll get to work on a character in a day or two. (We saw how quickly I photographed my CIS army for CC...oh, wait a minute. :hmpf_bad: )

I don't thing trolls would be intelligent enough to participate in a magical duel.

I thought the middle earth bit would point out it was a joke. :laugh: