Brick Forge Musket Review

17 replies to this topic  – Started by Apache , Sep 26 2010 09:40 AM

#1 Apache

Apache
  • Captain Blue Hair is the best!

Member: 1728

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:40 AM

Well, I ordered some BF Muskets a few weeks back and while I was waiting for them I searched this board high and low for a review with pics so I could see what they would look like in soldiers' hands, and I couldn't find anything.  I found a couple of threads about the new BF stuff, where the Muskets were mentioned but it lacked pics of the muskets in Minifigure Hands. So I had to wait and now that I've got some, I decided to help other people out who were in the same boat as me. So for anyone wanting to see pics of what these look like with figs before you decide to buy or not to buy, here you go.

Posted Image

I was hoping to get my hands on the BA prototype Musket to compare all three, but somehow those Prototypes seem to be hard to get.  BF offers two different colors of Muskets as of right now, Tan and Dark Tan.  From the pictures on the BF site, the tan just didn't look right to me as a color representing  a musket.  The Dark Tan is a tad bit lighter than I would like as well.  I would prefer a reddish brown or brown over the dark tan to simulate a walnut stock. However, I wanted to get some of these new beauties, so I ordered 15 in Dark Tan. As you can see in the pic of above, BF offers us a straight grip, period correct Buttstocked musket that has a nice straight barrel that will give your army accuracy over the Lego Blunderblussesqe rifle above. The length is the same, as well as the trigger gaurds and hammer. However, the BF musket has added the frizzen which is a distictive feature of Flintlock weapons.

You can see the frizzen just to the left of the hammer. To me it's the perfect size. It's noticable so those who want to use the rifle as a flintlock have that option, yet it's small enough for one to use the rifle as a non flintlock for other periods. This is a plus for the new musket.

Another plus is the butt stock.  Many rifles, muskets of that period had the elevation where the grip meets the part where the cheek rests and BF got it right.

The grip is a plus as well as the musket looks more realistic in the hands of the figs then the old Lego one. While the Lego Musket was easy to pose in different firing positions becaue of the grip, this one as you will see in my other pics, is just as easy to be fired by minifigs.

The ramrod located below the barrel is a nice touch however I believe that is the reason the minifig doesn't grip as well in the area inbetween the bands. It is a tad loose unlike the grip and buttstock wich fits the minifig's hand snugly.

Posted Image

Firing the weapon is as easy as it was before as you can see from this pic. I always like to get my figs firing as realistic as possible so this is my favorite firing posistion for the new Musket. The musket fits perfectly in the fig's hand in the foregrip between the 1st band and the trigger.  And with the more accurate barrell, watch out Red Coats, this Blue Belly is playing for blood!!

Posted Image

Last but not least, the design is very versatile. It reminds me of the rifles used during the civil war and the sharps used by the US Calvary during the Indians wars. So not only can you build up your Red Coat and Blue Coat armies, but your other troops will be happy as well.

Posted Image

Overall this new BF Musket outstanding. I've always gone to BF for swords and blades and to BA for modern weapons, but BF has really created a fine musket/rifle for AFOL's.

Ratings

Color:  6 (The dark Tan is nice, but would of been better in brown)

Fit:    9 (Fits perfectly except for that one area of the foregrip

Verstaility: 10  Great for Pirates, western, perhaps the Napoleanic wars but I'm not expert

Fireability:10  May be shot in a variety of positions unlike some weapons

I highly reccomend buying some of these in Dark Tan unless you can wait for it in a darker color.  I'd like to compare it to the BA musket, but for now I'll enjoy it as a huge upgrade over the ol Lego Blunderbuss. I'd like to hear from other people who have them allready and what you think.

Posted Image

Edited by Apache, 26 September 2010 - 09:42 AM.

Posted Image

#2 lightningtiger

lightningtiger
  • Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for the review 'Apache', I feel these muskets are designed to look like they more a rifle that fires the MiniƩ ball of the US Civil War era.
Perfect also for the Zulu wars as well !
Keep on bricking 'Apache' keep on bricking ! :pir-sweet:

#3 captain crossbricks

captain crossbricks

Member: 12902

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:42 PM

Nice review! I plan on buying some of these for my ottoman army.  :jollyroger:

#4 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Member of the stwnfbjs Club

Member: 822

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:57 PM

Extremely interesting because I wasn't aware Brickforge now has a musket in their portfolio!

It looks good from these pics, with the right level of detail. I'll go buy myself a few so I can check them out first hand  :thumbup:

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#5 Captain Becker

Captain Becker
  • Pirate Pig

Member: 8823

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:26 PM

Very nice review, Im gonna get these if i can. And we can see how well the new S2 Spartans head fits into a soldiers face :pir-classic:  I have done one solder like that and im extremly happy whit the result. Anyway, great rewier, im gonna get these, but  maby i wait some other colors yet :pir-blush:

Captain Becker
My LEGO collection

"An Admiral a day, keeps the Doctor away" General Skalldyr in ToR II

Posted Image Posted Image <---- Thank you so much joey Bluecoats FTW
Thank you Jebediahs

#6 prateek

prateek
  • Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:50 PM

Nice! I like the regular Lego Muskets for Pirates, but the BF ones are good for 19th/20th century soldiers. :thumbup:

#7 Nosaj

Nosaj

Member: 12744

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:20 PM

Great review... I would get some, but I am currently taking a brake from lego to persue ther interests and hobbies... well that and I am trying to keep my collection to official LEGO(aside from some sails and custom rigging ofcourse)

#8 Mrlegoninja

Mrlegoninja

Member: 11901

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

Great review Apache. :thumbup:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Murdered Day 8 as former Armed Forces member and Spider ward member Dudley Eisenhower in Def's Doctor Bloodbrick's Asylum.-Insane
Thank you Jebediahs for that great paper doll!

Died as Congressman Aide Maxwell Touns in Bob's Red Scare Mystery-Town

Died as Pub Owner Mrs. Le Goninja in Def's The Coming Darkness-Town

Died as Pet Store owner Jack Montgomery in Bob's Suburbia
Currently playing as the 40 year old teller Richard Sexton in Hinckley's Red Moon Two!

#9 Masked Builder

Masked Builder
  • Hoping to get it up tonight

Member: 10293

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:48 PM

Saw these at Brick fair.  I really love them. :thumbup:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 43.8 In Heroica RPG, On Quest #102
Flickr, Bricklink Store, The Review Spot, Facebook

#10 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!

Member: 4578

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:59 PM

Good review. If they were in better colours, I'd seriously consider buying a few myself.
Anyway, it's Go to Classic-Pirates.com
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages

#11 CallMePie

CallMePie
  • Magic 8 Ball

Member: 7199

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

Not to mention the musket can be bayoneted with some Brickarms.

Edited by CallMePie, 29 September 2010 - 07:09 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Atramor Gibbin, Level 31 Regulator in Sandy's Heroica RPG
CallMePie, Imperial Snowtrooper in the Shadows of Nar Eurbrikka

#12 Apache

Apache
  • Captain Blue Hair is the best!

Member: 1728

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:45 AM

Thanks everyone, glad you liked the review and pics.  Love the muskets, need to make some extra cash to get more, 15 doesn't cut it!

Posted Image

#13 Andre1983nl

Andre1983nl

Member: 6117

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:43 AM

Nice rifles even for WW1! (maybe also WW2?)
Does BF sent world wide?
Forever "Legoland" Lego! Last year 1989.

Posted Image

I have the 6286!

#14 Phred

Phred
  • Tweet-meister

Member: 1037

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:47 PM

I like the way this musket looks, and I am glad that it looks different from the BA variety.  It would be nice to have three variety of muskets.

The American armies of the revolutionary war rarely all had the same type of musket in the same unit, especially the militia untits.
Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Pirates don't hunt for treasure.  They bury it- I mean we bury it.  - Captain Kirk

Posted Image

#15 Armothe

Armothe
  • MOC it Better!

Member: 1698

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for the review Apache!

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Musket is now available in Reddish Brown, Dark Orange and Black. Dark Blueish Gray and other future colors coming out eventually!

Also, check out the new BrickForge Bayonet which clips on seamlessly.

-A

#16 Andre1983nl

Andre1983nl

Member: 6117

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:49 PM

I have 4 with other stuff for Lego MOC.
Forever "Legoland" Lego! Last year 1989.

Posted Image

I have the 6286!

#17 tedbeard

tedbeard

Member: 905

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

View PostArmothe, on 05 October 2010 - 08:37 PM, said:

Also, check out the new BrickForge Bayonet which clips on seamlessly.
It is amazing. I had to go back a second time to get more bayonets. They are spectacular.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#18 Phred

Phred
  • Tweet-meister

Member: 1037

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:46 PM

View PostArmothe, on 05 October 2010 - 08:37 PM, said:

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Musket is now available in Reddish Brown, Dark Orange and Black. Dark Blueish Gray and other future colors coming out eventually!
Excellent! :thumbup:
I really look forward to purchasing some of these. Thank you Armothe for informing us!
Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Pirates don't hunt for treasure.  They bury it- I mean we bury it.  - Captain Kirk

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links