33 members have voted

1. 1. Rate my MOC!

• 5-Excellent!
    • 4-Great!
    • 3-OK
    • 2-Bad
    • 1-Downright terrible

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Here's my latest MOC, a UCS version of Plo Koon's Delta-7 aka Jedi Starfighter! Inspired by the TLC set, because I wanted to make a smaller UCS and something unique.

4948769081_16056a72f0.jpg

4948769877_db1d806f9a.jpg

Close up of blaster-things:

4949358070_edfd039fd9.jpg

Side-view:

4949351786_a9dd59e2ec.jpg

Pic of the SNOT-y nose (Hah!):

4949356554_15ed52b1f2.jpg

R2-unit head a la cavegod (custom spray-painted):

4948758857_8b559d1a4b.jpg

Close-up of the exhaust vents:

4948754791_c510105cc1.jpg

Close of rear (custom stickering) [agh! darn you peeling stickers!]:

4948752859_6b18343a90.jpg

The cockpit/interior (one of my favorite parts of it):

4949356948_01f57e26a6.jpg

The engines:

4948767961_24eedc44a9.jpg

The underside of the engines (proud of this too):

4949357734_f8d0010dcb.jpg

Sticker being designed by cavegod coming soon!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as I'm considered, I'm pretty satisfied with the result. It's really hard to get the angles of the custom paint-job right, but I think I did the best possible with Lego. I would like to thank cavegod again for being an advisor and somewhat of an assistant to me. He gave me some pretty useful advice. :grin:

For my next project (the one that's not done), I'm not doing SW, but I have to say it looks REALLY good. After that, I have another UCS to do, and one that been done by TLC and surprisingly not by many MOCers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INSPIRATIONS/RESOURCES:

This picture, provided by Woookiepedia.

def's great "Rewatching the Clone Wars" topic of reviews of the TV show.

The great official TLC set.

cavegod's amazing and original MOC.

Enjoy! :classic:

:oh:

That is a really good MOC ThatGuyWhoCampsWithTheBricks! :tongue:

I'd certainly but this instead of the official LEGO release. The patterns are very nice, and dark blue works surprisingly well instead of normal blue.

Keep this up! :sweet:

Dark blue is so lovely :wub: looks really great, something to display alongside Obi Wan's JSF. The only thing I don't like is the tail stickers, but it doesn't look bad when looking at the whole ship. Great work dude, the Force is strong with this one :vader:

:oh:

That is a really good MOC ThatGuyWhoCampsWithTheBricks! :tongue:

I'd certainly but this instead of the official LEGO release. The patterns are very nice, and dark blue works surprisingly well instead of normal blue.

Keep this up! :sweet:

Well, dark blue is more accurate than blue.

Dark blue is so lovely :wub: looks really great, something to display alongside Obi Wan's JSF. The only thing I don't like is the tail stickers, but it doesn't look bad when looking at the whole ship. Great work dude, the Force is strong with this one :vader:

I think you're saying that because of the peeling stickers. I used actual TLC stickers (4 sheets of the Hyena Bomber) to do it, so I had to cut them up into littler pieces.

Yes, I meant those that are peeling, that doesn't look so good. But again, at least I only noticed when I looked at the detailed pic.

Nice job, although the SNOT looks raised and out of place on the nose. It's needs to get a little 'lower', if that's possible.

Did you sand the printing of that cockpit canopy? :grin:

Nice job, although the SNOT looks raised and out of place on the nose. It's needs to get a little 'lower', if that's possible.

Did you sand the printing of that cockpit canopy? :grin:

Honestly, I know. I tinkered around a lot with it and decided that this was the best. Also, there are a few "illegal" connections here and there. :grin:

No. I used metal polish. Don't try it though, it's hard as hell and I couldn't even get all of it off. I'll just get one from the 10125 when it comes out in 2 months.

Hello there!

That's a really good version of the Jedi Starfighter. The brick built stripes are really nice. I am not a great fan of stickers in general, so what I like best is that you embedded the yellow pattern in the middle of the nose as a brick-built inlay instead of using a sticker. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

My favorite part of this would have to be the way that you achieved the starburst pattern and the yellow arrow on the hull, very nice. Proportions look spot-on. I'm not sure how accurate that cockpit detail is (it appears to be the same printed tile used in LEGO's rendition), but it looks graet. However, I'm afraid I'm going to have to nitpick this a bit: :classic:

The first thing I noticed is the slope of the sides of the ship; it's just too steep. I know from rewatching Clones and several Clone Wars episodes that while there is an incline to the sides, it's not very steep; many MOCers have even disregarded the slope altogether (guybrush's UCS comes to mind) and managed to create a pretty accurate rendition. I would suggest you either reduce the incline or take it out completely (after all, the Wookieepedia reference picture appears to depict the Delta-7 without inclined wings). I would probably use a technique for inclining the wings similar to LEGO's own technique seen in the 7143 Jedi Starfighter, but set the entire system within the central area so as to avoid awkward obtrusions on the underside of the wings. And the latter would be a simple stacked-plates build, wouldn't it? Of course, with this picture I'm not too sure.

The second detail is the guns. The look of the guns themselves are captured quite well (and actually to scale, for that matter) but they're not set into the ship at all; they just kind of sit on top of it. Stock photos of the Delta-7 and shots from Clones show a deep, narrow groove in which the guns are set, and a gap in the outline of the ship resulting from the groove. I don't see any sign of this on your MOC; the guns are obviously mounted well above the level of the hull. I'm not sure if it could be done considering the construction at that area, so I would suggest removing the large wing plate at that part and putting something else there.

You might also want to fill in the gaps in front of the cockpit, though I think that would be easier if you just switched to sculpture build.

I'm assuming the cockpit doesn't actually open?

My favorite part of this would have to be the way that you achieved the starburst pattern and the yellow arrow on the hull, very nice. Proportions look spot-on. I'm not sure how accurate that cockpit detail is (it appears to be the same printed tile used in LEGO's rendition), but it looks graet. However, I'm afraid I'm going to have to nitpick this a bit: :classic:

The first thing I noticed is the slope of the sides of the ship; it's just too steep. I know from rewatching Clones and several Clone Wars episodes that while there is an incline to the sides, it's not very steep; many MOCers have even disregarded the slope altogether (guybrush's UCS comes to mind) and managed to create a pretty accurate rendition. Of course, with this picture I'm not too sure if I'm right about this. I would, however, suggest you either reduce the incline or take it out completely (after all, the Wookieepedia reference picture appears to depict the Delta-7 without inclined wings). I would probably use a technique for inclining the wings similar to LEGO's own technique seen in the 7143 Jedi Starfighter, but set the entire system within the central area so as to avoid awkward obtrusions on the underside of the wings. And the latter would be a simple stacked-plates build, wouldn't it?

The second detail is the guns. The look of the guns themselves are captured quite well (and actually to scale, for that matter) but they're not set into the ship at all; they just kind of sit on top of it. Stock photos of the Delta-7 and shots from Clones show a deep, narrow groove in which the guns are set, and a gap in the outline of the ship resulting from the groove. I don't see any sign of this on your MOC; the guns are obviously mounted well above the level of the hull. I'm not sure if it could be done considering the construction at that area, so I would suggest removing the large wing plate at that part and putting something else there.

You might also want to fill in the gaps in front of the cockpit, though I think that would be easier if you just switched to sculpture build.

I'm assuming the cockpit doesn't actually open?

Hello there!

That's a really good version of the Jedi Starfighter. The brick built stripes are really nice. I am not a great fan of stickers in general, so what I like best is that you embedded the yellow pattern in the middle of the nose as a brick-built inlay instead of using a sticker. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

I know. I only use stickers when it's absolutely needed. And for that matter, I'll only use official stickers.

-snip-

I know it's a little too steep, but the most acute angle that the snappy-hinges will go. I couldn't have used bar-hinges either because it would be too weak.

I don't like that aspect either. I tried moving the wedges so that it would have an opening, but that wouldn't really work structurally. Believe me. a lot of these flaws I would change if I could, but I can't. :laugh:

What gaps?

The cockpit can't really open because the back "flag" part actually goes over the cockpit piece, so you have to take that off first.

There are just some issues that you can't work around with lego. :classic:

So now I know why you asked me about the"Great Blue One" TGWTB. :wink: Great job on this UCS JSF! As a fan of these jedi starfighters, I see that you got the necessary elements right for this ship - the right dark blue color, correct cockpit piece, the wedge-shaped side cockpit panels and front hull, and even the tailfins and very well-built. I agree with legostein, the brickbuilt starburst pattern is much better than printed decals, and even the yellow detail in front is brickbuilt- very nice. Aside from a couple of minor issues (gaps in the front hull, peeling stickers), everything is very good. Impressive job my friend! :thumbup:

Edited by KielDaMan

Honestly, I know. I tinkered around a lot with it and decided that this was the best. Also, there are a few "illegal" connections here and there. :grin:

No. I used metal polish. Don't try it though, it's hard as hell and I couldn't even get all of it off. I'll just get one from the 10125 when it comes out in 2 months.

What happened to Brasso?!?! :tongue:

That's a metal polish, and it generally gives great results.

So now I know why you asked me about the"Great Blue One" TGWTB. :wink: Great job on this UCS JSF! As a fan of these jedi starfighters, I see that you got the necessary elements right for this ship - the right dark blue color, correct cockpit piece, the wedge-shaped side cockpit panels and front hull, and even the tailfins and very well-built. I agree with legostein, the brickbuilt starburst pattern is much better than printed decals, and even the yellow detail in front is brickbuilt- very nice. Aside from a couple of minor issues (gaps in the front hull, peeling stickers), everything is very good. Impressive job my friend! :thumbup:

Thanks, where were you yesterday? You're usually the top poster but today you weren't even in the top 20. :laugh:

What happened to Brasso?!?! :tongue:

That's a metal polish, and it generally gives great results.

Yup, that's what I used.

Thanks, where were you yesterday? You're usually the top poster but today you weren't even in the top 20. default_laugh_new.gif

I attended a family gathering, so I wasn't able to visit the forum that much. Anyway, it's great to see this UCS Plo Koon JSF even before the official UCS JSF set is released (the same way when my minifig-scaled Plo Koon JSF had a headstart before the official Plo JSF was released). Any plans of doing the whole JSF collection like mine? (but in UCS versions - that would probably hurt your wallet, Ouch!)

Wow! Great job! I really like the custom paint job. It looks like it will fit in well with the upcoming UCS. :thumbup:

That is one nice UCS! really nice job with it!

I love the front of it, the way you incorporated SNOT and then normal techniques :thumbup:

The cockpit is lovely!! love that seat, and the control stick is a nice :thumbup:

Overall a very nice UCS! :wub:

CF

AWESOME JSF 'ThatGuyWithTheBricks' - I agree stickers can be a pain but it really adds that bling to any MOC ! :thumbup:

Perfect to sit along side Oki Wan's UCS JSF too ! :sweet:

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

I know. I only use stickers when it's absolutely needed. And for that matter, I'll only use official stickers.

I know it's a little too steep, but the most acute angle that the snappy-hinges will go. I couldn't have used bar-hinges either because it would be too weak.

I don't like that aspect either. I tried moving the wedges so that it would have an opening, but that wouldn't really work structurally. Believe me. a lot of these flaws I would change if I could, but I can't. :laugh:

What gaps?

The cockpit can't really open because the back "flag" part actually goes over the cockpit piece, so you have to take that off first.

There are just some issues that you can't work around with lego. :classic:

Understood ThatGuyWithTheBricks; I know from building LEGO myself that gaps and angles can be extremely hard to achieve, especially when the angles don't exist in LEGO.

I meant those LARGE gaps where the blue wing plates meet with the 2x6 curved brick that forms the main slope, and also where the sides of the ship angle down. (Something similar also happened in some official TIE sets; I suggest taking a look at guybrush's TIE Interceptor to fix it.

A very nice rendition of an UCS Plo Koon fighter. Shame about those stickers coming off the back thruster. Love the Droid head design by cave god too. :thumbup: