Modulex MOC for BrickFair: Greenhouse

17 replies to this topic

#1 Karyn

Karyn

Member: 12617

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:54 AM

Posted Image
I'm new to Eurobricks, but have enjoyed reading the forums. Now, I'd like to post a few pictures of my Modulex MOC which I built for BrickFair 2010.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looking forward to learning and sharing in these forums.

Karyn

Edited by Rufus, 24 June 2011 - 04:55 PM.
Indexed

You can never have enough Lego bricks (especially Modulex bricks!)

#2 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Member: 5203

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:07 AM

Wow, that's a truly lovely Greenhouse MOC, I love it. Posted Image I simply am amazed by those glass panes, trans-clear bricks, and the intricate tiling of the exterior lawn and the interior floors. The various plants and their clever positioning are also nicely done. To sum it up - that's what I call a GRAND ENTRANCE.Posted Image Welcome once again to Eurobricks Karyn and hope to see more of your lovely MOCs here in EB.

NEW! Legends of Chima Review: 70008 - Gorzan's Gorilla Striker

Posted Image

Currently playing as the Sheriff Kenneth Emanuel in Tamamono's Silver City Mafia

My Eurobricks Page / My flickr / My MOCpages

#3 SаM

SаM

Member: 12607

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:13 AM

Not perfect but interesting. Lets see... The door looks nice, but it cant open - its sad... :sad:  The grass looks like - big pixel plate.  :sceptic:  Flowers made easy - only two parts. But I like the roof - It's really nice.  :laugh: In fine, this building is good like decoration, but not for play.
Gl in the next building!  :sweet:

#4 workfromtheheart

workfromtheheart

Member: 3435

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:23 AM

The colors are working great on this MOC.
Fine example of what can be done with Modulex.
www.mocsfromtheheart.com
루벤 ♥ 합기도 ▶ 정무관

#5 jonwil

jonwil

Member: 1239

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:22 AM

Nice Modulex MOC, dont see too many people using Modulex in a MOC.

#6 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

Now this is a rare kind of MOC - a glasshouse - nice design with Modulex components !
Great work and keep on bricking 'Karyn' keep on bricking ! :sweet:

#7 RoryoCox

RoryoCox

• Photography Contest Winner

Member: 7213

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

Such a great recreation of the common greenhouse. This is actually my first time seeing a lego greenhouse and I think you got all of the details correct. The garden is lovely and the two blend in well  :classic:

RoryoCox

#8 Fires-storm

Fires-storm

• Modern Wright Brother

Member: 9182

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:34 PM

Well done, I actually love this moc, as it is a very creative and original design, with truly beautiful detailing. I also like the roof design, and the fact that it can lift off! And, before I forget, WELCOME TO EUROBRICKS! Its good to have another amazing new builder :thumbup:
If you cannot win the battle, win the war.

#9 Modulex Guy

Modulex Guy

• Ain't nobody takin' my wooden fire truck

Member: 6517

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:32 PM

ANOTHER MODULEX COLLECTOR!!! WOOO!!!

Welcome to EB! :wink:  I love that you used many rare window elements in your MOC!

How big is your collection of Modulex? And how did you start MOCing with it?
NILTC
Hi, My name is Chris... and I'm addicted to Modulex.
Posted Image
O_o
I Buy Modulex!
My Flickr page.

#10 Karyn

Karyn

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your comments and encouragements. Building with Modulex presents two challenges to overcome: 1)lack of all the special elements that standard Lego system has and 2) having enough Modulex to build what your imagination can come up with!

I happened to have several sizes of windows and tried various combinations before settling on this design. The thing I was most proud of was the interior bracing for the roof. I had to do some unique techniques for that.

One thing no one has mentioned is the greenhouse fan. While still "legal" for a MOC, the fan is a component from the Lego Atlantis set (one of the underwater vehicle propellers). What do you think of mixing Modulex and standard Lego? I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep it in or not. Of course, they don't really combine properly (like Duplo would), but there are several ways to marry the parts if you try hard.

I hope to expand/improve this MOC for the future.

All the best,
Karyn

#11 Modulex Guy

Modulex Guy

• Ain't nobody takin' my wooden fire truck

Member: 6517

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

View PostKaryn, on 16 August 2010 - 02:37 PM, said:

One thing no one has mentioned is the greenhouse fan. While still "legal" for a MOC, the fan is a component from the Lego Atlantis set (one of the underwater vehicle propellers). What do you think of mixing Modulex and standard Lego? I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep it in or not. Of course, they don't really combine properly (like Duplo would), but there are several ways to marry the parts if you try hard.

I have noticed your fan and really like that you made an attempt to use both Modulex and LEGO together. I personally do not mix my Modulex with LEGO, because as you mentioned that it really does not combine well. i think though in this case it works rather well, although the red is a bit to... off in this MOC, if it was grey though it would fit perfectly.
NILTC
Hi, My name is Chris... and I'm addicted to Modulex.
Posted Image
O_o
I Buy Modulex!
My Flickr page.

#12 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:30 PM

Great MOC! I never even knew that there were Modulex windows, so this is really cool to see :thumbup:

#13 Karyn

Karyn

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

Hi Polish Guy! I was hoping you would add a comment. I think your Modulex MOCs are terrific.

I agree with you that the red in the fan was too jarring. I will keep looking for something that fits the color scheme better.

I do have quite a bit of Modulex. I am especially fortunate to have so many different windows and roof elements.

Someone who was at BrickFair posted a good closeup of the Greenhouse on the Flickr group. Here you can see more detail. (I can also see that the table was bumped a bit and my MOC needs a little tuneup!)

Posted Image

#14 fred67

fred67

• A builder, not a hoarder

Member: 8444

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:37 PM

Hi Karyn, and welcome and thanks for posting... the greenhouse looks great and I have no problem with the look of combining some LEGO elements with Modulex, but I can't help but think there could have been a better propeller to use.

I love the interior of the greenhouse... all the tables and the way the 1x1s are at angles make it look very "realistic" from the perspective of that top interior shot, and the marbled floor is not lost on me, either.

Very nice!

#15 Karyn

Karyn

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

View Postfred67, on 16 August 2010 - 05:37 PM, said:

but I can't help but think there could have been a better propeller to use.

Thanks, Fred, for your comments. I would love some suggestions for different propellers to use. I don't have any other propellers in my own collection, but if I knew what set to look for, I might be able to replace the red one. Since I want to expand and add to this MOC, if you know of something specific to suggest, please tell me!

Karyn

#16 fred67

fred67

• A builder, not a hoarder

Member: 8444

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

View PostKaryn, on 16 August 2010 - 05:53 PM, said:

Thanks, Fred, for your comments. I would love some suggestions for different propellers to use. I don't have any other propellers in my own collection, but if I knew what set to look for, I might be able to replace the red one. Since I want to expand and add to this MOC, if you know of something specific to suggest, please tell me!

Karyn
Are we allowed to hot link to BL (images link to BL catalog)?

Maybe one of these:

Posted Image

No housing, but you'd use:

Posted Image

To connect to a lift-arm or something:

Posted Image

Or this might look nicer:

Posted Image

You would have to put pins or something in the ends of that last one to hold it in place, but then either the one you have now is being held by something or it's just loose (which is fine, by me).

It might look better to me if the one you were using was simply a different color.... I think my problem with it is that your eye is just drawn to it immediately because it really sticks out, while I think you'd want it to be a lot more subtle so that people concentrated more on the rest of the MOC, which is superb.

EDIT: In fact, now that I think about it, if you used the same kind of housing, but with a different color (white or green, maybe actually black would match your building), and that propeller that I linked to with the pin that I linked to, I think it would make the fan a lot more subtle.  If I could I would build on in LDD and post a picture, or build a real one (I have the parts at home) and post a picture.

Edited by fred67, 16 August 2010 - 06:51 PM.

#17 Karyn

Karyn

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:40 AM

Wow, thanks Fred! Those links do work. Very helpful! I agree that I want the fan to 1)protrude less, 2)be a more subtler color, 3) not draw the eye away from the rest of the MOC.

Now... another question. How often to people take a MOC to more than one convention? I feel like I shouldn't take the same things, but maybe if I rework it enough, I could take it again. Thoughts?

Karyn

#18 dr_spock

dr_spock

• Ex-News Scout scouting for new themes

Member: 8775

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:04 AM

Looks good Karyn.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users