Le Coup d'État du 18 brumaire

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic  – Started by Scouty , Jul 23 2010 05:29 AM

#1 Scouty

Scouty
  • [not worthy of classic film title]

Member: 863

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:29 AM

Based on the painting by François Bouchot in 1840, this MOC faithfully (to an extent :wink: ) what happened at Saint-Cloud, that would launch Napoleon Bonaparte to power.

Impatient after waiting 20 hours, Napoleon decided to barge himself inside the Directory, finding a plethora of Directorates arguing if they should set up a new government to be led by Napoleon. Trying to explain his reasonings, the Directorates were all but happy to find him in there, with his Grenadier guards. One Directorate even attempted to assassinate Napoleon Bonaparte.

Enjoy!

Posted Image

(Thumb link to the painting itself, in 1321x1400 pixels)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
More Pictures on Flickr!
.Posted Image
"Mr. Nowhere" John Doe >:] | Bruno Bear, the watchmaker | Sassy Cooter | Scar Mimitsus >:] |
First Officer Commander Cameron Walters :3 | Casey Cat, Puuurfect painter | Sveinn, the Uninspired :3 | Scouty | L'il Scouty | Langston Lionheart >:]

#2 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!

Member: 4578

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:44 AM

Nice job, it looks very similar to the painting.
And you came up with an interesting piece of history :thumbup:
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages

#3 Scouty

Scouty

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:11 PM

View PostAdmiral Croissant, on 23 July 2010 - 10:44 AM, said:

Nice job, it looks very similar to the painting.
And you came up with an interesting piece of history :thumbup:

Thank you :classic:

I was going to do this for the Bayonets at Dawn contest, but I ran out of time :sad: .

I think it's nice to bring up certain moments of history that aren't as well known as others. Many did not know what this was unless I explained it to them (though the title cards helped a little).
.Posted Image
"Mr. Nowhere" John Doe >:] | Bruno Bear, the watchmaker | Sassy Cooter | Scar Mimitsus >:] |
First Officer Commander Cameron Walters :3 | Casey Cat, Puuurfect painter | Sveinn, the Uninspired :3 | Scouty | L'il Scouty | Langston Lionheart >:]

#4 Tycho McKorley

Tycho McKorley

Member: 11599

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

Very nice work.  Did you use pipe cleaners for the hats of the soldiers?  If so, they seem to work rather well.  You've followed the painting nicely and I enjoyed comparing the two.
Some of My Creations:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
(Pictures are links)

#5 fff

fff

Member: 9595

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

Nice! Très jolie  :thumbup:

Where is Napoleon's coat from?
Posted Image

#6 Scouty

Scouty

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:44 AM

View PostTycho McKorley, on 27 July 2010 - 05:33 PM, said:

Very nice work.  Did you use pipe cleaners for the hats of the soldiers?  If so, they seem to work rather well.  You've followed the painting nicely and I enjoyed comparing the two.

Yes, I used red and black pipe cleaners for the bearskin hats of the grenadier guards. Those were based around 2 1x1 yellow bricks and a dark red 1x1 cheese slope attached to the top of the head. I was going to add this candle wick string to replicate the sort of rope they have going across the hats, but that night I stayed up til 3 and I still had the Directorate's coats to make.

Thank you :classic:

View Postfff, on 27 July 2010 - 05:41 PM, said:

Nice! Très jolie  :thumbup:

Where is Napoleon's coat from?

Mercí :classic:

I originally had made a decal (much like the grenadier's) for Napoleon, but the clear waterslide decal paper I used faded it too much to be discernible at all. This official torso, the fireman's torso, looked close to his coat and was the only thing I had that I could make a decently accurate Napoleon Bonaparte with. Still, it doesn't look bad :classic:
.Posted Image

#7 Zorro

Zorro
  • Farewell Dieter!

Member: 3951

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

Really looks like the painting! The coats are very well done too, thanks for sharing :thumbup: !

Posted Image

#8 Big Cam

Big Cam
  • A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

Oh very cool, it's really accurate to the picture.

Great MOC, I love seeing historical scenes brought to life in LEGO.

#9 Scouty

Scouty

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:14 PM

View PostBig Cam, on 04 August 2010 - 09:05 PM, said:

Oh very cool, it's really accurate to the picture.

Great MOC, I love seeing historical scenes brought to life in LEGO.

Thank you BC :classic: ! There are thousands of awesome paintings out there (and equally bad ones too :tongue: ) to be made into LEGO. It should be done :sweet:

View PostZorro, on 04 August 2010 - 08:43 PM, said:

Really looks like the painting! The coats are very well done too, thanks for sharing :thumbup: !

Posted Image

Maybe sometime I'll take some better pictures of this with a proper background :classic:
.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links