• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Davey

Davey

• Dry Humper

Member: 6272

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:27 PM

Posted Image

This build was my contribution to George Kemper’s ‘Project X’ (aka The Matrix @ Brickworld 2010).  It was designed to go with Mark Kelso’s subway scene from The Matrix.  The collaboration was really cool and drew a lot of attention on the public days.

Posted Image

Since The Matrix was filmed primarily in Sydney, Australia and features the Sydney Metro System, I decided to try and model my subway train off the Sydney Metro.  The cars are 8-wide (my first 8-wide ever) and 42 studs long.

Posted Image

The corrugation of the sides was achieved with the 1x2 profile bricks in a metallic gray color.  The rest of the coach is made using old light gray pieces and a number of vintage train windows in yellow and old light gray.

Posted Image

It’s a double-deck design and the full train is two coaches long and powered by two LEGO 9V motors.  More pictures are available on my Sydney Metro Train Photostream.

Big thanks to George Kemper for asking me to be a part of Project Matrix.  It was fun being part of a collaborative build and George did a great job coordinating.

-Davey

Posted Image
My Setlist // Dave's MOCPage // Stacy's MOCPage // ToT-LUG Photostream // Brickshelf Gallery // Our Blog

============================================================

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the Republic has become the very evil we have been fighting to destroy?"

"And you don't want to be here in the future...so you say the present is just a pleasant...interruption to the past."

#2 Orcasek

Orcasek

Member: 12081

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

Nice, it matches that other one you made!

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."
   I am cool.

#3 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Gungans taste like chicken

Member: 7997

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:42 PM

Even though I'm from Adelaide, I have taken a few trips on one of those trains when I took my wife to Sydney for our 10th wedding anniversary a few years ago. You have hit the nail on the head, with AWESOME detail ! :grin:
Except it's missing the usual graffiti on the sides of the train, it's a little too clean ! :laugh:
Excellent job designing and keep on bricking ! :sweet:

#4 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Member: 5203

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:21 AM

Nice looking train you got there Davey! I love the double-decked design and the 'grilled' exterior surface. Great job! Posted Image

View Postlightningtiger, on 21 July 2010 - 11:42 PM, said:

Except it's missing the usual graffiti on the sides of the train, it's a little too clean ! Posted Image
I guess that's quite challenging to pull off since you have to mess with the build's exterior (literally paint it). Posted Image

#5 vmln8r

vmln8r

Member: 7017

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:45 AM

View PostKielDaMan, on 22 July 2010 - 02:21 AM, said:

Nice looking train you got there Davey! I love the double-decked design and the 'grilled' exterior surface. Great job! Posted Image

I guess that's quite challenging to pull off since you have to mess with the build's exterior (literally paint it). Posted Image

Ah, I used to take these to school during 2000/2001, from Burwood to Flemington I think. Your model looks spot on, although I don't remember many without graffiti :tongue: Seriously though, nice model :thumbup:

#6 peterab

peterab

• Whacking witch hunter

Member: 6893

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

View PostDavey, on 21 July 2010 - 07:27 PM, said:

Since The Matrix was filmed primarily in Sydney, Australia and features the Sydney Metro System, I decided to try and model my subway train off the Sydney Metro.  The cars are 8-wide (my first 8-wide ever) and 42 studs long.
My girlfriend who grew up in Sydney says you've done a good job, as she could tell it was a metro rather than the similar inter urbans which run on different lines.

BTW now you've experienced all the downsides to eight wide I eagerly await your future 7-wide builds :-)

#7 Chromeknight

Chromeknight

• Heyo!

Member: 6074

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

View PostDavey, on 21 July 2010 - 07:27 PM, said:

This build was my contribution to George Kemper’s ‘Project X’ (aka The Matrix @ Brickworld 2010).  It was designed to go with Mark Kelso’s subway scene from The Matrix.  The collaboration was really cool and drew a lot of attention on the public days.

As a Sydney resident, I can see the amount of detail you've packed into the models.
The only small niggle I have is that the matrix used very old  single deck rolling stock that was
repainted to look more like American (particularly NYC) stock
The pic at Wikipedia - 1960 Single Deck Cars should give you an idea. Not that I want to take
anything away from a spectacular build!

lightningtiger said:

Except it's missing the usual graffiti on the sides of the train, it's a little too clean ! :laugh:
Actually graffiti is not all that much of a problem on the outside of cars, with security around stabling
areas it's difficult to get in to spray.
Inside cars is different, lots of fat texta bombing and sign defacement.

Nerwen Calmcacil, Elven Shaman, is taking a Moment of Silence. Edward Cook, councillor is looking for Secret Enemies!.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Davey

Davey

• Dry Humper

Member: 6272

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

View PostChromeknight, on 23 July 2010 - 12:21 PM, said:

As a Sydney resident, I can see the amount of detail you've packed into the models.
The only small niggle I have is that the matrix used very old  single deck rolling stock that was
repainted to look more like American (particularly NYC) stock
The pic at Wikipedia - 1960 Single Deck Cars should give you an idea. Not that I want to take
anything away from a spectacular build!

I've actually had a lot of people mention this, so don't feel bad.  I can't believe I messed a massive detail like that up.   :tongue:  Just goes to show how long it has been since I have seen The Matrix.  

-Davey

Posted Image
My Setlist // Dave's MOCPage // Stacy's MOCPage // ToT-LUG Photostream // Brickshelf Gallery // Our Blog

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the Republic has become the very evil we have been fighting to destroy?"

"And you don't want to be here in the future...so you say the present is just a pleasant...interruption to the past."

#9 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:20 PM

Really nice Dave.  This is like a modern Metroliner Club Car. I like the light grey and yellow color combination, especially the doors. It's always nice to see the classic train windows as well.  Overall, great detailing! :wub:

#10 GI blockage

GI blockage

• Wants it from behind

Member: 8148

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

I’m a Sydneysider, and I catch these every day.  This is instantly recognisable as one of our trains.  Brilliant job.

The only inaccuracy I feel is the windows in the middle section are more square than in reality, making the whole carriage seem a little short/squashed.  Some 1x4x5 windows on their side may have fixed this issue, but that would be at the expense of the lovely (and true to life) effect provided by the old-style windows.  IMHO your approach improves on reality.  Well done.

#11 CarrollFilms

CarrollFilms
    Member: 11575

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:29 AM

That would've looked really cool at Brickworld 2010 with 3 or 4 passenger cars. very detailed, keep up the great work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users