17 replies to this topic

#1 Pellaeon

Pellaeon

Member: 5547

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:31 AM

Batmobile
From Batman: The Animated Series
MOC by Pellaeon

Update: see updated Batmobile in post #10 below.

Posted Image

Howdy folks! This is my first MOC in the licensed forum: the Batmobile, as seen in Batman: The Animated Series.

This MOC has been a long time in the making, but well worth the effort. B:TAS was one of my favorite shows growing up, so with some inspiration from the work of others (including the excellent Batmobile by blueandwhite), I've put together my take on the Batmobile. It is intended to be minifigure scaled, though at 10 studs it'd be slightly wider than even a tractor-trailer. The Batman minifig does fit in the cockpit, as shown in the final photo.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Lots more photos can be found on flickr.

I'm particularly proud of how the front turned out, and that I was able to get the wheels as far forward as I did — I think they're as close to the front bumper as they can possibly get! I've used SNOT techniques to give the rear a gentle U-shaped curve between the fins, and I'm using a Belville Bucket as the big exhaust. I'd like to get some stickers to use as headlights on the front, and I may continue exploring ways to do the air intakes in front of the rear wheels (they should be angled, but I haven't gotten anything to work in such limited space).

Comments and criticisms are welcome, thanks for looking!

Edited by Pellaeon, 13 August 2010 - 02:36 AM.

Pellaeon
Select works:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Member: 5203

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:57 AM

Great job on the Batmobile 'Pellaeon'! Posted Image I like the overall smoothness of it, really very sleek-looking. The design is simple yet resembles the real vehicle. It would have been nice to see more curves (reduced blockiness) but I know it's impossible due to limited curve slope parts available in lego.

NEW! Legends of Chima Review: 70008 - Gorzan's Gorilla Striker

Posted Image

Currently playing as the Sheriff Kenneth Emanuel in Tamamono's Silver City Mafia

My Eurobricks Page / My flickr / My MOCpages

#3 super curry max

super curry max

Member: 10116

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:41 AM

I love it. The animated series batmobile was one of my favorite toys as a kid. You should make it so the back comes out into the glider like the actual toy did. That would be neat. :)

Edited by super curry max, 12 July 2010 - 03:46 AM.

Try not to die.

#4 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:04 AM

Excellent Batmobile 'Pellaeon' - now that's one COOL black car ! :grin:
Keep on bricking ! :sweet:

#5 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:06 AM

Great job! It looks very clean, as it should since it's from a cartoon :thumbup:

#6 blueandwhite

blueandwhite

• Sandwich Stealer

Member: 481

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:40 AM

Nice work on the Batmobile.  I tried building this car a few years back.  Im many ways this version is everything I hoped to achieve (but couldn't quite manage) when I was working on mine.  I really think you nailed the general shape of the car.  In particular, the back end of the car is really nicely done with the SNOT work on the four fins.  The front end is also quite beautiful.  My only real suggestion would be to consider extending the mid-section of the car by two studs or so.  The BTAS Batmobile was very exaggerated in its length.  I think an extra two studs length in front of the windscreen might go a long way to enhance an already beautiful MOC.

Again, this is really great stuff.

#7 Batbrick

Batbrick

• I'm back ...with a banana

Member: 1917

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:51 PM

Pellaeon, I will now worship you for posting this  :wub:  Seriously, this is just as awesome as blueandwhite's version, which I am also supremely jealous of. The back in particular is lovely, good studless work and a faithful adaptation of the rear boosters. And the slightly metallic silver along the front really lifts it. Not a fault that I can spot!

Batbrick Away!  :devil:
And see and comment on KDog's hilarious Space Comic here:
Posted Image
Click on pic to see and comment now!  And please add this ad to your sig so more people can see this fantastic work!

Batbrick Away!

#8 Pellaeon

Pellaeon

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:29 AM

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.  :classic:

View Postblueandwhite, on 12 July 2010 - 05:40 AM, said:

My only real suggestion would be to consider extending the mid-section of the car by two studs or so.  The BTAS Batmobile was very exaggerated in its length.  I think an extra two studs length in front of the windscreen might go a long way to enhance an already beautiful MOC.
Longer, really?  You're right that the length is very exaggerated, especially when it appears in the cartoon (like the image I posted above), which may be a function of how "off model" the animation was at times. I mostly worked from a handful of line drawings I found online (presumably from one of the "Art of…" books) and the Hotwheels toy car.  The Hotwheels version is not nearly as exaggerated, or at least it has a different width-to-length ratio than the line drawings or the TV show. I went for a design that was about 30% longer than Hotwheels' model. I'm worried that making it longer will look ridiculous, though the midsection should be longer (relative to the rest of the car) than I've depicted it.  Do you have other source materials you based your design on?  I'd love to see a top-down view of the car, from either the TV show or original artwork... then we'd have a better idea what the dimensions should be like.
Pellaeon
Select works:

#9 blueandwhite

blueandwhite

• Sandwich Stealer

Member: 481

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

View PostPellaeon, on 15 July 2010 - 12:29 AM, said:

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.  :classic:

Longer, really?  You're right that the length is very exaggerated, especially when it appears in the cartoon (like the image I posted above), which may be a function of how "off model" the animation was at times. I mostly worked from a handful of line drawings I found online (presumably from one of the "Art of…" books) and the Hotwheels toy car.  The Hotwheels version is not nearly as exaggerated, or at least it has a different width-to-length ratio than the line drawings or the TV show. I went for a design that was about 30% longer than Hotwheels' model. I'm worried that making it longer will look ridiculous, though the midsection should be longer (relative to the rest of the car) than I've depicted it.  Do you have other source materials you based your design on?  I'd love to see a top-down view of the car, from either the TV show or original artwork... then we'd have a better idea what the dimensions should be like.

I wish I still had the source materials, however it has been a while since I completed my batmobile.  I worked primarily from WB studios line art as well as a number of photos I found through Google.  The problem is that I did my batmobile a few years ago and the images that come up after a search are completely different.  My batmobile is slightly longer in the midsection and I still find that I could have gone further with it.  The only way to know for sure is to give it a try and see if you like it.

#10 Pellaeon

Pellaeon

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:57 PM

View Postblueandwhite, on 12 July 2010 - 05:40 AM, said:

My only real suggestion would be to consider extending the mid-section of the car by two studs or so.  The BTAS Batmobile was very exaggerated in its length.

View PostPellaeon, on 15 July 2010 - 12:29 AM, said:

Longer, really?

View Postblueandwhite, on 16 July 2010 - 10:48 AM, said:

The only way to know for sure is to give it a try and see if you like it.

That is one of the best things about LEGO: it's never (too) hard to try something different! So, I have finally tried extending the mid-section a bit... I think it looked a little deformed when I tried extending it by two studs (no pics, sorry), but extending it one stud helps a lot.

Posted Image

The proportions look more accurate this way. Thanks for the advice, blueandwhite!  :thumbup:
Posted Image
Posted Image

More on flickr... first 8 photos are new. Enjoy!

PS: I hope to post pictures of my Tumbler Batmobile next week... stay tuned!  :grin:

Edited by Pellaeon, 01 August 2010 - 09:09 PM.

Pellaeon
Select works:

#11 Mr. Elijah Timms

Mr. Elijah Timms

Member: 9973

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

Quite simply, a vision in SNOT.  That series was still some of the best Batman ever committed to the screen.  Nice job, keep up the great work!

EVERYTHING IS OVERPRICED I MEAN AWESOME!!!

#12 ???theriddler???

???theriddler???

Member: 1675

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:26 AM

That looks awesome man!
When Is The Villain, Not The Villain?

#13 Solscud007

Solscud007

Member: 12637

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

Hey Pellaeon, Im trying to reverse engineer your Batmobile, right in front of the rear wheels there seems to be a 2x1 cheese wedge turned sideways. How did you affix that on so that it is flush with the wedge plates that sandwich it?

#14 Pellaeon

Pellaeon

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:21 PM

View PostSolscud007, on 09 April 2011 - 08:53 PM, said:

Hey Pellaeon, Im trying to reverse engineer your Batmobile, right in front of the rear wheels there seems to be a 2x1 cheese wedge turned sideways. How did you affix that on so that it is flush with the wedge plates that sandwich it?

It's just a new-style headlight at the right spot... 2 bricks wide = 5 plates tall, so use the headlight + 2 plates. The wedge plates are the old-school version without stud notches, btw.

Attached Images

• IMG_0276.JPG

Edited by Pellaeon, 09 April 2011 - 10:23 PM.

Pellaeon
Select works:

#15 Solscud007

Solscud007

Member: 12637

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:40 PM

Thanks. Yeah when I was trying to build the Batmobile in in LDD, I noticed the wedge plates had notches and yours dont.  Thanks

Also the wheels are from megablocks rally cars right?

Edited by Solscud007, 09 April 2011 - 11:42 PM.

#16 bricked one

bricked one

Member: 13319

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:12 AM

no the wheels come from some of the racer sets.
Posted Image

#17 Geki Brick

Geki Brick

Member: 13884

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:37 PM

At first glance, this looks exactly like the Hot Wheels 1:30 BTAS batmobile. Kudos. My friend who's a huge BTAS geek will go crazy when he sees this. He's also been vying for Lego Batman sets, but I tell him Lego might do it for the new Batman movie.
TRU Weekly Ad Archive
http://www.eurobrick...15

#18 Captain Bayonet

Captain Bayonet

Member: 10460

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:44 PM

Great likeness!

Keep the Brick Alive!

~Bayonet
Lover of Cheese

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic