6253 Shipwreck Hideout discontinued?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic  – Started by diabloiij , Jun 23 2010 12:18 PM

#1 diabloiij

diabloiij

Member: 4166

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:18 PM

Hello people, the imperial flagship have gotten into the new pirate line and I have brought all the new sets except for 6253 Shipwreck Hideout. Seeing that this set being so new (came out in 2009) and all other sets are still widely available, how come I can't seem to find this set anywhere other than bricklink or ebay.  Anyone seen it in department stores still?

#2 Blondie-Wan

Blondie-Wan
  • Honest as Abe

Member: 5831

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

Hi. Yes, I'm afraid this one set was discontinued pretty quickly, as far as I know. Here in the US (and I presume most other places, though I don't know for sure), it was a vendor exclusive for Toys 'R' Us (also available directly from LEGO itself, of course). It disappeared from Shop at Home in less than a year, and all but disappeared from at least my own local Toys 'R' Us not long after that (they had one last copy of the set lingering on the shelves for quite a while, and I finally picked it up for myself a few months ago and felt lucky to be able to get it so late).

I don't know where you're located, but if you're in the US I think your best bet is to first check out as many TRU stores as you have access to, just in case. If that doesn't turn one up, I think you'll have to go to Bricklink or eBay or the like.
Each 60-count box of 71012 Disney Minifigures Series 1 contains:

- 4 copies apiece of Mickey Mouse, the Genie, Stitch, Mr. Incredible, Syndrome, and the Pizza Planet Alien
- 3 copies apiece of everyone else

#3 AndyC

AndyC

Member: 6485

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:23 PM

I picked one up for a reasonable price on Amazon recently, don't think you'll see one in stores now though.
Posted Image

#4 Big Cam

Big Cam
  • A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:20 PM

Unfortunately the pirates line has trickled away.  I was in toys r us yesterday and they only had the impulse pirate set left.  They should be pretty reasonable on bricklink though, since they aren't too old.

#5 Blondie-Wan

Blondie-Wan
  • Honest as Abe

Member: 5831

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:27 PM

View PostBig Cam, on 23 June 2010 - 04:20 PM, said:

Unfortunately the pirates line has trickled away.  I was in toys r us yesterday and they only had the impulse pirate set left.

Really? That's odd; the impulses were the first sets to disappear from everywhere I found them (including Shop at Home), well before Shipwreck Hideout.

My own local TRU still has a large chunk of the Pirates line, including Cannon Battle, Kraken Attackin', Loot Island and (IIRC) Soldiers' Fort, and still had Brickbeard's Bounty until just a few weeks ago. Shop at Home still has all of those plus Imperial Flagship and a few of the accessory items, as did the LEGO Store at Downtown Disney in Orlando when I was there a month ago. Also note the Brickmaster Pirates book / set from DK and LEGO is in TRU and various bookstores (and indeed, wasn't even released until the latter part of last year, IIRC).

In fact, my own TRU even has a small display with tear-off sheets containing instructions and suggestions on how to throw a LEGO Pirates-themed birthday party. This wasn't there until fairly recently.
Each 60-count box of 71012 Disney Minifigures Series 1 contains:

- 4 copies apiece of Mickey Mouse, the Genie, Stitch, Mr. Incredible, Syndrome, and the Pizza Planet Alien
- 3 copies apiece of everyone else

#6 Commodore Hornbricker

Commodore Hornbricker
  • Cyborg Chef Splatter

Member: 5169

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:03 PM

Yeah, Shipwreck Hideout was a limited edition set.  They were gone pretty early on in the Pirates run.  I am sorry you missed it.  It is a pretty neat set.  I am sure you can find one on Ebay or Bricklink...hopefully for a decent price.  Good luck!
Posted Image Sail on over to the Port of Brick Royal
"I am not having him flogged for fighting, Mr. Gerard." - Horatio Hornblower

#7 Zorro

Zorro
  • Farewell Dieter!

Member: 3951

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

They still have some of them in Belgium.
But wherever you live, I would hurry to get it, they will only raise in price I'm afraid!

#8 Captain Blackmoor

Captain Blackmoor
  • Hates Redcoats, likes crab meat

Member: 4015

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:45 PM

The Intertoys here had only the small impulse sets and the fortress. I've been there before and the shelves were filled with pirates. Looks like the sets are seeping away, time to get some! :pir-grin:

Sail to My Brickshelf or to My MOCpages, or my Flickr Photostream!

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines  - Index of helpful tutorials

Avalonia Trading Company

#9 Asterios

Asterios

Member: 10245

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:55 PM

Lots of Pirate sets at my local TRU from the pirate ship on down.

#10 Andre1983nl

Andre1983nl

Member: 6117

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:45 PM

It is a limited set.
Some shops it cost 35 euro's and the webshops who still have it in stock ask around the 80-90 euro's for it.
Forever "Legoland" Lego! Last year 1989.

Posted Image

I have the 6286!

#11 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • WordPress Wizard

Member: 273

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

View Postdiabloiij, on 23 June 2010 - 12:18 PM, said:

Hello people, the imperial flagship have gotten into the new pirate line and I have brought all the new sets except for 6253 Shipwreck Hideout.
All recent Pirate sets (expect for the Imperail Flagship) have been discontinued, so anything you see in stores is just old stock that hasn't sold yet.  But once it's gone that's it, the LEGO Group aren't producing anymore.

In the case of 6253 Shipwreck Hideout, like Andre said it was a limited set which was exclusive to Toys R Us.  So you're unlikely to them at other retailers.

#12 Brig. Brick

Brig. Brick
  • Bluecoat Homer

Member: 11496

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:06 PM

View PostMister Phes, on 05 July 2010 - 02:49 PM, said:

All recent Pirate sets (expect for the Imperail Flagship) have been discontinued (...) the LEGO Group aren't producing anymore.

how I hate read this!!! :pir-angry: , a new dark age Lego is come :pir-cry_sad:
Posted Image

#13 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • WordPress Wizard

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:44 AM

Sadly the future of LEGO Pirates is uncertain, but through fan communities like Classic-Pirates.com we'll do our very best to ensure the LEGO Group is aware a strong interest remains in the theme.

#14 josykay

josykay

Member: 10581

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

In the case of 6253 Shipwreck Hideout, like Andre said it was a limited set which was exclusive to Toys R Us.  So you're unlikely to them at other retailers.
That is very strange. In Hessia a very small local store in my home village of 2000 people has the Shipwreck Hideout in the shop.

However, when I got paid, it will be mine.

Edited by josykay, 06 July 2010 - 01:26 PM.

#15 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • WordPress Wizard

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

Unfortunately it's not strange in many parts of the world.  I've attempt to get a Shipwreck Hideout from an independent retailer and they either don't know what I'm talking about or tell me its a Toys R Us exclusive.

I think this applies to Northern America, UK and Australia, but in other regions the situation is probably different.

I've heard stories of small independent toy stores in Europe still stocking MISB Pirate sets from 90's, which is inconceivable in my part of the world.

It would appear the distrubution of LEGO is quite different.  So use this to your advantage and buy 10 6253 Shipwreck Hideouts and sell 9 of them to buyers who can no longer purchase them locally.   :pir-grin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links