to buy or not to buy magnets

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tchuk-norst

tchuk-norst

Member: 10960

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:22 AM

Posted Image

I am contemplating buying the magnet set with princess leia, c3po and ackbar in it you know for the leia figure but I was wondering if plastic was the regular lego or the cheaper chinese plastic?

#2 Corvus

Corvus

• ¡ʎpuɐɯ ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ

Member: 1483

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:31 AM

Well, it is cheaper plastic, but it's gotten a little better, so I've heard. I'm very picky- so I can't stand having inferior quality figs in my parts bin. Also, they're pretty expensive.

But it's your choice. If you don't mind figs that are slightly different than others, and cost less than the set they come in, go ahead. They do tend to go on sale fairly often, too, so you might want to wait until then.
True happiness: looking inside the box to see a perfectly flat instruction manual.

Posted Image

#3 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Member: 5203

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:03 AM

There is quite a noticeable difference in the quality of the magnet figs compared to regular ones, magnet figs are "slightly less shiny" than the regular ones. But if you're main consideration is cost, then the magnets are the way to go. Personally,  I don't buy expensive sets just for the minifigs, I'd rather buy them off magnet sets, since I don't have that much 'resources' as other people.

#4 Smack

Smack

Member: 10092

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:23 AM

If you are going to buy the magnet set just for the Leia minifig I would suggest Bricklink or E-bay as an alternative to the magnet set.  As the others stated the magnet sets are of a different and inferior plastic to the set minifigs.  You might be able to get Leia for a reasonable price and a better quality. :classic:

#5 fenris

fenris

• Photo This!

Member: 6569

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:10 AM

i've got this magnet set. the only fig i can compare is the c3po, that's the one i've got before. there is no noticeable difference. and imho, leia and ackbar are not cheap plastic. i had magnet sets before where, e.g. the royal guards, were really bad quality (chinese plastic).

in this case i'd say: go for it. it's certainly not a bad deal. 3 figs plus the magnet bricks is not a bad deal. buying expensive sets for the figs only is certainly more expensive.

#6 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Member: 11254

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

The quality's gotten better; I just bought one set a couple weeks ago.

#7 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Member: 5203

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:27 AM

View PostSmack, on 23 June 2010 - 07:23 AM, said:

If you are going to buy the magnet set just for the Leia minifig I would suggest Bricklink or E-bay as an alternative to the magnet set.  As the others stated the magnet sets are of a different and inferior plastic to the set minifigs.  You might be able to get Leia for a reasonable price and a better quality. Posted Image

I agree, I think this is a better idea. If you only want the Leia minifig then you could save a few more bucks buying at BL/ebay. But if you want some extra figs (Ackbar/3PO), then go with the magnet set.

#8 Enilder

Enilder

Member: 8962

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:47 AM

from what i know, i dont think there's any color differences but minor printing differences.

#9 Zzz

Zzz

• Flick-fires the hell out of aliens!

Member: 1281

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:50 PM

View PostSmack, on 23 June 2010 - 07:23 AM, said:

If you are going to buy the magnet set just for the Leia minifig I would suggest Bricklink or E-bay as an alternative to the magnet set.  As the others stated the magnet sets are of a different and inferior plastic to the set minifigs.  You might be able to get Leia for a reasonable price and a better quality. :classic:

Bad idea. BL and ebay sellers sure take the ones from the magnet sets in most cases, even if they state it is from set xxxx.

About the topic: they are different but not bad. Even figures from the sets differ in quality and plastic from time to time. You never know.
"I am Iron Man."  -  "I am Groot!"

#10 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Member: 11254

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:00 PM

View PostZzz, on 28 June 2010 - 05:50 PM, said:

Bad idea. BL and ebay sellers sure take the ones from the magnet sets in most cases, even if they state it is from set xxxx.

About the topic: they are different but not bad. Even figures from the sets differ in quality and plastic from time to time. You never know.
...and after shipping, the price would be more than if you bought the magnet set. (Seeing as the magnet set has two extra 'figs)

#11 lt.Gonville brickhead

lt.Gonville brickhead

Member: 10353

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

I dont know if they are chinese plastic but i think they are
but anyway it depends were you live shipping costs loads to me
Posted Image

For the glory of the british empire
what empire
there is none                                  
sombody should tell them

Theres nothing wrong with me theres just something
not right that makes me better

#12 Smack

Smack

Member: 10092

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

Ok so I see my BL/E-Bay idea was pretty much shot down.  I do agree that if you don't care so much about getting the exact same quality and you obviously don't want to buy the Tantive for the Leia fig that the magnet set is the way to go.  I am just bothered by the sometimes overwhelmingly apparent difference in quality in the magnet sets.  I do hear it has gotten better but like many others here I work hard for my $ and want quality fot it.  End of rant.  I think that you should do what is best for you and your wallet my friend :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users