Eilif

Brickworld 2010 After-Action reports

I'm surprised this topic doesn't exist already, but let's hear from those who attended Brickworld 2010.

This was my 4th Brickworld (3rd as a registrant) It was a great time and utterly overwhelming. 4 full ballrooms of LEGO insanity. My only complaint (asside from the late load-in, and that's not BW's fault) is that it is so big that alot of what I saw runs together in my head. A camera really is a must for attendees who want to be able to recall what they saw. Good to see many familiar faces from previous years, but as usual, I didn't have nearly enough time to hang out. Next year I hope to spend a night or two at the hotel so I have more time for after-hours socializing. The LEGO community really is a great group of people, and BW is a great place to see it at it's best.

The NILTC layout that I was a part of alot of fun and -if I may say- well done. As expected, while I was away running the BILd table, my section was molested by my fellow club members. :tongue: (horses on top of buildings, bikers being run over by trucks and crashing off the cliffs, etc) I also enjoyed being a part of the Brickarms Modern Warfare layout.

The Community Service and BILd presentations that I facilitated went well, and though not massively attended, they both stimulated many good discussions. The BILd table was visited by many people. We increased our email list and raised over $150 for the program!

So Thanks to Bryan, Adam and the rest of the BW team for another extremely well-run event! I'm not sure how you will top this one, but I have no doubt that you will.

This was my first Brickworld (as well as my first LEGO Convention) and it was a blast. It was awesome to meet several Eurobrick members there and all the artworks there were incredible. Some very good creations.

I can definitely say that this has been the highlight of my summer so far.

I brought two MOCs, so I'll be putting pictures up soon!

And also a big thanks to the Brickworld staff who were all great!

This also was my first Brickworld. I had a great time seeing all of the big MOCs that I had seen online. One of my favorites was the Indiana Jones Brick Adventures diorama. I also like Wayne Manor. The NILTC layout was hilarious! I loved the Dunkin Donuts truck and the Krispy Kreme truck accident! I bought several Brickarms, including some of the pre-releases. The Brickforge S.W.A.T. gear was great too! I bought two collectible minifigs: the Zombie and the Cowboy. Thanks Barcode Lady! :laugh:

Here's everything I bought at Brickworld!

4721497930_e49cca7ec9.jpg

Edited by Clone Commander Assassin

My third BrickWorld, first time bring a layout by myself. It was great. Met a lot of people from the Quantas guys who were friendly and entertaining, stood in the after hours store purchase line and met some of the Canadians who were just as fun. Got to buy stash2sixx and company a beer. Accidentally witnessed some minifig scenes that will haunt me forever... And the auction was highly entertaining. Mark Larsons presentation on topography was fantastic.

Edited by PaulF

This was my 4th Brickworld. It was once again a wonderful time with the wonderful people who make up this community. Many people I see only once a year, yet are able to meet and talk as old friends. Thanks certainly goes out to everyone who made the event possible, including all of the attendees. The MOCs were amazing, the presentations well done, and a good time was had by all. BW 2011, it's time to start planning.

Well, another year and another great event.

The Pirate game was outstanding, and the "BrickTech" Battletech mech game was great too.

For the record, I will be running BrickQuest next year so be sure to bring your favorite dice.

See you all next year.

Ahab out...............

Edited by AhabDarab

This was our third Brickworld as just public attendees and now my wife has stated we will, should, come down and stay Saturday Night and take in two days of public action. I mentioned then that I should register as a attendee even if I don't display anything.

A link to my photobucket account if anyone wants to look at pictures. This should be a public album and anyone is free to use the Brickworld pictures however they would like. We also made time to go over to the Lego Discovery Zone and then to the Lego Store.

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/lilwillie_wi/Brickworld2010/

We loved the displays...but it was overwhelming. It was a lot of back and forth, keeping tabs on the little ones and getting those few instances to put a face to a eurobrick member name. It was great to meet those that I had a chance to meet. Wonderful people, wonderful atmosphere and great displays by everyone. I think the size of everything was the reason the wife finally talked about spending a night there. The kids could have at it and have some fun. Me also :)

Edited by Col. Brik

This was my 4th Brickworld (3rd registered) and it was a very different experience than the other three. This was the first time I was there as a vendor and figuring out some of those issues took up a lot of my energy this weekend. For instance, the DVDs I was selling didn't arrive until Friday afternoon, and I then had to leave the convention and drive to the South Side to pick them up, got caught in traffic and the crazy thunder storm and therefore missed most of Friday afternoon :angry: . So that was a bummer, but the event itself was incredible. I wrote up a little post about my Brickworld experience for the NNN website.

I got to meet a few AFOLs who I only knew through the internet and spend a little time with friends from past years (though not as much as I would have liked!) and got to marvel at some truly incredible creations. :sweet: It was also my first time being at the event with my Non-LEGO Significant Other and that ended up being a great experience too. I ate more real meals and had someone to share the excitement (and that frustrating drive :angry: ) with and he seemed to enjoy himself as well so that's all good. :laugh:

So, yes, another good year and I already find myself thinking about 2011. :grin:

The NILTC layout that I was a part of alot of fun and -if I may say- well done. As expected, while I was away running the BILd table, my section was molested by my fellow club members. default_tong.gif (horses on top of buildings, bikers being run over by trucks and crashing off the cliffs, etc) I also enjoyed being a part of the Brickarms Modern Warfare layout.

You say molested. I say enhanced.

And I didn't do it.

Once again, I was humbled and awed by some of the displays. The giant chess set in person was a thing of beauty. I am very much looking forward to when they make it World of Lights and Sounds and Smells.

-Tohst

Do anyone of you who attended know if a fellow by the name of Paul or Crowkillers was there? I am curious if he had his technic cars on display. I haven't seen any new pictures up yet from the event.

I had a blast, and it was cool to meet so many EB members :thumbup:!

Here´s some teaser pictures & a video of our display:

gallery_148_100_71555.jpg

Quarryman builds like lightning!

gallery_148_100_81313.jpg

Quarryman´s train passes by.

gallery_148_100_237448.jpg

Making bacon!

gallery_148_100_172735.jpg

Darth Vader inspires his workers!

gallery_148_100_213751.jpg

Red light district by I Scream Clone.

gallery_148_100_276395.jpg

The bank by Quarryman. It´s beeing robbed from the backside by the SpongeBob crew!

gallery_148_100_61841.jpg

Alien cow abduction by CopMike!

Our three different loopes with western monorails.

So, to keep with the standard format of this thread: This was my first Brickworld, and also my first fan-driven LEGO event of this sort (only been to LEGOWorld Norway before, which was very much focused on TLG, and the EB Events are something different from this as well), but it certainly won't be my last. I guess "awesome" is a somewhat suitable word, the sheer size of it, and the friendliness of everyone I met was nothing short of incredible. So already plans are being laid for next year. :grin:

What can I add to this thread that hasn't already been said. It was another successful Brickworld and I believe a good time was had by all. Aside from the Load-In SNAFU, which was quickly sorted thanks to a lot of help from volunteers, it went pretty smoothly this year. The displays this year were exceptional and I heard many comments from TLG employees about how the caliber of MOC's continues to go up. I didn't get to many presentations, but I heard nothing but good things about them.

Stacy and I had a blast meeting all sorts of new friends and connecting with old ones...especially after hours. Our displays were fun...but I am so sick of 10 hour setup and 4 hour tear-down times. I'm thinking we might bring something else next year. :tongue: The Charity Auction was a lot of fun and we managed to raise over $11,000 for charity while having a great time!

Even though I am a walking zombie right now, I am counting the days until Brickworld 2011.

-Davey

What a weekend!

I'm still in recovery mode trying to catch up on lost sleep, haha. But anyways, it was great meeting other EB members and seeing the rooms of Amazing MOCs.

Like everyone else, even though the event just ended, I'm already planning for next year! :laugh:

Man, I had such a blast, this was my first event to attend, as well as my first Lego convention! It was great seeing so many Eurobricks people there, as well as the amazing donation of grass pieces and slopes that Polish Guy gave me for my mechs. I spent most of my time over at the Modern Warfare 2 set up, and actually went and helped plan for next year, which is going to be insanely awesome.

Also, I went to most of the seminars that I could, and the ones about shadow boxes, dioramas, landscaping, and castle building were incredibly inspiring, and as a result, I actually built my first little diorama! (Not a lot of detail, but its mine, all mine!)

I look forward to next year, and seeing new and old faces alike.

The Charity Auction was a lot of fun and we managed to raise over $11,000 for charity while having a great time!

You forgot to mention that one of your MOCs raised 700 of those 11000, :thumbup: :thumbup: for that! :sweet:

It was a great con - met some great new folks (including Quarryman and Ice Cream Clone), reconnected with people I've met before, and hung out with some good friends. It was great seeing everyone and looking at the wonderful things creativity brings. All that, and a Republic Dropship too!

This was my fourth Brickworld, 3rd displaying, 2nd presenting and 1st as a coordinator. I spent a lot of time on coordinating the MOC cards and presenting and missed the social aspect this time. I know that for Brickworld 5 I will display with and near my friends and stay at the hotel so I can get out of Brickworld what I enjoy the most. Being around my friends and connecting with other AFOLs as a group. I also should take some extra vacation time next year. My family and friends really want to spend time with me when I'm in town and I need to feel I can commit time to Brickworld and still see the people I love and miss. That being said, this Brickworld was very rewarding but also very stressful. I was incredibly busy helping out with the event but my own display was a bit of a challenge as well. It began as a pile of bricks due to poor shipping practices:

before.jpg

And came together all right in the end:

after.jpg

Next year, I'll be part of the display with Stash, CopMike, I Scream Clone and Quarry whose Wild West display was awesome, not to mention nominated for Best Display!

wild_west.jpg

It was great to see Dave and Stacy and the ToTLUG display again:

totlug.jpg

I realize that since so much happened in my life after last year's event I had no time to improve my train knowledge. So Dave has been incredibly patient with me the last two years, trying to explain to me why the way I build doesn't make the train go. My train keeps stopping, literally just quitting. Not sure why yet, but I hope to learn why by next year so I don't have to bug Dave or burn out my motor.

The most inspiring model to me was Michael Rutherford's "Traders on the Rift."

rutherford.jpg

We also got to meet Norro! He's a great builder and an awesome guy and I hope we get to see him again next year:

norro_01.jpg

norro_02.jpg

Other EB members we got to hang out with include

DaleDVM:

dale_dvm.jpg

fallentomato:

fallen_tomato.jpg

ricecracker:

ricecracker.jpg

and Sir Nadroj:

sir_nadroj.jpg

In the end, I was able to stay at the hotel an extra day and got that social aspect I had missed in the first couple of days. It really was an awesome event and I'm looking forward to being just as involved with Brickworld 2011. :sweet: Thanks to everyone who made it such an awesome event.

I have always been more of a lurker on EB but here is my take on BW 2010.

It was cool meeting CopMike, I Scream Clone and Quarryman. I met them Friday night in line at the dmaaged box sale and stopped by their layout to hang out throughout the day. I have been to the previous BW events but this was my first year as an attendee, I definitely had a great time and it was cool to meet people who's MOC's I have seen online. next time around I will stop by the Tot-Lug layout when Dave and Stacey are there to say hi. Next year I hope to have better planning to make it Thur and Friday during the day for workshops etc.. and I think I am actually going to stay at the hotel. The 40 min drive back and forth for a couple days is a bit much.

Definitely good to see you all, although I didn't get nearly enough time with anybody... Still great to meet so many of the eb crew.

God Bless,

Nathan

Wow, Brickworld sounds amazing! I wish that I had been able to go. As it turns out, I was actually in Illinois on the 17th.default_hmpfbad.gif Unable to go all the way to Chicago, I'm afraid...

Oh, well. Share some more Pictures!

Definitely good to see you all, although I didn't get nearly enough time with anybody... Still great to meet so many of the eb crew.

God Bless,

Nathan

I'm still disappointed I didn't see anyone tap dance on 6,000 neatly arranged minifgures.

:lol:

I'm still disappointed I didn't see anyone tap dance on 6,000 neatly arranged minifgures.

:lol:

I'm being quoted too widely... ; ) must be more discrete in the future!

God Bless,

Nathan