Jump to content


Stormtrooper Torso Prints


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fenris

fenris

  • Photo This!


    Posts: 414
    Joined: 03-July 09
    Member: 6569
    Country: Austria

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:07 PM

Posted Image

just got another magnet set with the stormtrooper. i bought one a year or something ago and realized a much darker torso print. and now, it seems , they have changed the design (WHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!). Anyone can say if this is also the case in the TIE-defender set or any new sets with stormies?

Posted Image

actually i'm quite happy that i've already got enough stormies, so the change in design doesn't really bother me. but why in gods name make such small and senseless changes? they don't look better, just different. and details are not details. not in a line of stormies. it's all about being the same...(same for the helmet design..)


btw: they were on sale on shop@home aweek ago..quite a good deal for some stormies... :vader:
http://shop.lego.com...53&cn=472&d=322

Edited by KimT, 26 July 2010 - 10:54 PM.


#2 Darth Lion

Darth Lion

    Posts: 207
    Joined: 08-July 07
    Member: 1754

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:35 PM

As far as I know, the TIE-Defender includes one classic stormie ...

But please don't ask me, why TLG changes the designs that often - I dunno and I don't think there's a good reason behind it.  :wink:

#3 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21834
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:51 PM

I've known about this. My friend says now they look like femtroopers. :tongue:

#4 TheCrimsonTrooper

TheCrimsonTrooper

    Posts: 199
    Joined: 13-February 10
    Member: 9550
    Country: United States

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:14 AM

The 'classic stormie' print is still my favorite. But I cannot think of a reason for changing the design of it.
Posted Image Currently massing armies and gathering parts to defeat other college Lego enthusiasts in Brickwars.

#5 Clone OPatra

Clone OPatra

  • Full Frontal Disclosure


    Posts: 5992
    Joined: 21-January 09
    Member: 5070

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:27 AM

Magnet set figures are not produced in the same factory as regular set figures.  In all normal sets, the figures remain the same, but they vary in magnet sets because those are printed by completely different machines.  Just like the collectible minifigures and other magnet figures have lower plastic quality and different molds for arms and legs, they also have different and sloppier prints.

The real question is: why is LEGO so cheep when it comes to magnet sets?  Business is business I supposeā€¦
Posted Image

#6 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

    Posts: 9545
    Joined: 04-February 09
    Member: 5203
    Country: PILIPINAS

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:35 AM

The only significant difference in the design is the shadow print below the chest plate. I don't really know the real reason behind the change, but these might be the possible reasons (just speculation and without any factual basis):

- The new torso print is easier to print than the older ones. (Quality Control)
- The new torso print is cheaper than the older ones. (Cost)
- The new torso print is closer to the real look of the stormtrooper chest plates. (Aesthetics)




#7 fenris

fenris

  • Photo This!


    Posts: 414
    Joined: 03-July 09
    Member: 6569
    Country: Austria

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:56 AM

View PostKielDaMan, on 21 June 2010 - 01:35 AM, said:

- The new torso print is easier to print than the older ones. (Quality Control)
- The new torso print is cheaper than the older ones. (Cost)
- The new torso print is closer to the real look of the stormtrooper chest plates. (Aesthetics)

well, i just don't think so. it's neither closer to the real look, nor imho easier to print. ok, they save just a little on the print, but that's marginal - even in huge numbers... i think it's much mire expensive to set up a new design than to continue the old one...

only positive thing: i've got all 3 of them...

are there more versions than those 3????

femtroopers:  :tongue: :sweet:

Edited by fenris, 21 June 2010 - 10:42 AM.


#8 Big Cam

Big Cam

  • A good mood, too.


    Posts: 14003
    Joined: 02-April 09
    Member: 5701
    Country: USA

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:42 PM

View Postfenris, on 21 June 2010 - 09:56 AM, said:

well, i just don't think so. it's neither closer to the real look, nor imho easier to print. ok, they save just a little on the print, but that's marginal - even in huge numbers... i think it's much mire expensive to set up a new design than to continue the old one...

only positive thing: i've got all 3 of them...

are there more versions than those 3????

femtroopers:  :tongue: :sweet:
No clue, but thanks for the comparison shots, its cool to see the differances.

#9 Clone OPatra

Clone OPatra

  • Full Frontal Disclosure


    Posts: 5992
    Joined: 21-January 09
    Member: 5070

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:41 PM

View Postfenris, on 21 June 2010 - 09:56 AM, said:

are there more versions than those 3????


Well, you may want to check that the first Stormtroopers had light gray printing, whereas newer ones have light bley printing.  I'm not sure if this is the case, but it certainly is the case with Scout Troopers.  So there may be four.
Posted Image

#10 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21834
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:05 AM

The older magnet, on second glance, looks like a printing error from the classic Stormie. The ink is in the same places, and it's universally darker. Since the LEGO Factory machines are robotic, and run with only partial human supervision, it would make sense if enough torso's slipped through to warrant sale of the misprints instead of disposal of a few mistakes. My guess is that the new magnet set version is the only intended redesign. As far as that one is concerned, it looks to use a little less ink while maintaining the iconic Stormtrooper look, so maybe it's just a cost thing. I'd assume that reprograming a printer is far cheaper than some of the other changes, to the point that it makes sense in the long run.

#11 Balrog

Balrog

    Posts: 1008
    Joined: 09-June 10
    Member: 11355
    Country: Germany

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:22 AM

View Postfenris, on 20 June 2010 - 04:07 PM, said:

just got another magnet set with the stormtrooper. i bought one a year or something ago and realized a much darker torso print. and now, it seems , they have changed the design (WHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!). Anyone can say if this is also the case in the TIE-defender set or any new sets with stormies?

Posted Image

actually i'm quite happy that i've already got enough stormies, so the change in design doesn't really bother me. but why in gods name make such small and senseless changes? they don't look better, just different. and details are not details. not in a line of stormies. it's all about being the same...(same for the helmet design..)


btw: they were on sale on shop@home aweek ago..quite a good deal for some stormies... :vader:
http://shop.lego.com...53&cn=472&d=322

I have the Tie Defender. Gonna make a photo for you later when I am home.

#12 Future74

Future74

    Posts: 677
    Joined: 25-December 08
    Member: 4801
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

Never noticed this, good point fenris.
This might be a subject that could be merged with the 'misprints' topic when done.

View PostBrickdoctor, on 20 June 2010 - 06:51 PM, said:

I've known about this. My friend says now they look like femtroopers. :tongue:
You totally changed my view on them with this remark *oh2*

:laugh:
I'm not a fool... I'm an AFOL!

My Star Wars Lego sets
My Brickshelf gallery
My MOCs, MODs and Review topic links
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users