Any musically talented folks on here?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Algernon

Algernon

• Not a Doofus

Member: 2558

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:54 PM

So, as LEGO is a creative hobby, I wondered if anybody on this site writes/plays/produces music in addition to LEGO building.  

I'm a producer and I've been writing music digitally for the last three years. I play the keyboard but not much else. I've got a YouTube channel here, if you wanna hear some of my work.

I can't be the only one... don't be shy, post some of your work here!

#2 ZO6

ZO6

• EB Adventurers Reviewer and now a Teacher

Member: 1532

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:22 AM

I started taking piano lessons when I was around five years old.  I continued these lessons for about 8 years.  Since then I've been playing off and on when I feel like it, though in recently years since entering into school for Film and Television Production I've been playing more frequently.  I like to come up with my own tunes to accompany my videos.  My favorite music to play is Claude Debussy's work - I find a lot of his work extremely beautiful and epic sounding.

I received an acoustic guitar when I was quite young.  I took lessons for a couple of years, and then decided to continue on my own.  I've never gotten very good at playing the guitar, but I still like to mess around with it from time to time.

During public school and high school I played the trumpet in music class.  I really enjoyed playing the instrument and was very good at it.  I even managed to picked up a couple of music awards.  Unfortunately, I haven't played the trumpet in years as I've never owned one myself.

Overall, I'd say I'm the biggest fan of playing the piano.  I've got a lovely full sized keyboard at home, and a more portable one to take with me when I travel (like at school/residence).

I always find it nice to hear about others that play musical instruments.  :sweet:

#3 Inconspicuous

Inconspicuous

• RA Anniversary HP reviewer

Member: 6188

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:21 AM

I've played 2 main instruments in my life: classical guitar and tenor sax. I stopped sax after 5 years because I couldn't fit it into my high school schedule.

I've played classical guitar for a few months shy of 10 years. I like solos, but I also am learning several duets with a friend and play in a small ensemble of 8 or 9. My music has taken me to fantastic places like Turin, Italy, Los Angeles, and tomorrow, Austin, Texas. My ensemble was one of two groups selected nationally to play at a youth showcase concert at the Guitar Foundation of America's convention in Austin.

My music has been a great way to relax, travel, and meet new people. I hope to keep playing in the future.

(I have the funniest feeling we have a topic similar to this.)

Flickr~Brickshelf~Bricklink Store~Sale/Trade Topic
Check out my ABOUT ME page for more links!

#4 def

def

• White Reggaeist

Member: 4268

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

I was a techno dj for a few years, before I was overtaken with other hobbies and marriage and a family. But I still like playing some good tunes now and then.

I picked up a guitar when I was in high school and quit it within two months.

I am a Satanist and not ashamed.

My Facebook! My Tumblr My Book!

#5 Algernon

Algernon

• Not a Doofus

Member: 2558

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:25 PM

View Postdef, on 20 June 2010 - 02:50 PM, said:

I was a techno dj for a few years, before I was overtaken with other hobbies and marriage and a family. But I still like playing some good tunes now and then.

I picked up a guitar when I was in high school and quit it within two months.
That's awesome, did you mix your own stuff?

#6 Internets

Internets

Member: 8096

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:10 PM

My band:

www.newzealandstory.org

Edited by Internets, 20 June 2010 - 10:10 PM.

#7 def

def

• White Reggaeist

Member: 4268

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:54 AM

View PostAlgernon, on 20 June 2010 - 04:25 PM, said:

That's awesome, did you mix your own stuff?

I mixed tracks together, but I didn't do any remixing. I played on a laptop with a USB mixer using Tractor DJ software (I'm in Japan, but all my records are in Canada). Here's a shot of my set-up from my last gig, an island beach party. I'm glad I could finish with a special gig.

Posted Image

I am a Satanist and not ashamed.

My Facebook! My Tumblr My Book!

#8 Artanis I

Artanis I

• Who's Friggin' Dan?

Member: 10965

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:16 AM

For my work I edit music, I used to work in radio (now volunteer once a week) in production & also as a DJ. 18 months ago I played in 4 bands all of a completely different genre. I play drums, bass, guitar & piano. Funnily enough I'm not in a gigging band at the moment, nor recording anything, but I'm playing regularly.

Lego is winning at the moment.
Lego is not a dirty word

#9 dr_spock

dr_spock

• Ex-News Scout scouting for new themes

Member: 8775

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:59 PM

I used to play guitar in church.  Now I only play Lego Rock Band.   :classic:

#10 Sisco

Sisco

• Golden Amusement Park

Member: 8341

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:25 PM

I'm currently learning how to play the country fiddle (not going very well; I spend too much time on Lego to practice much).  I'm also a pretty fair vocalist, or so I've been told.  I am also singing in the choir in the Community Summer Play, Li'l Abner.  I have a speeking part in that, BTW. :grin:
Heroica Stats
Won as the Sithy Sith Ili Seosty in K-Nut's and MB's Jedi Temple Mafia.
Won as the Dark One Craig Otoko In Def's The Coming Darkness.
Won
as the only survivor (loyal) Amy Leeds in Village of the Bloody Damned.
Died as Einherjar Sigrid in TinyPie's Ragnarok Now Redux.
Died as Servant of Loki Sigmund in TinyPies' Ragnarok Now Mafia.
Died as Loyal Townie happy-go-lucky firefighter Craig Boy in Eurodina Mafia.
Died loyal in PoP Mafia Game.
Died as Alex Jordan in Bob's Suburbia.
Survived 'till the end but still mourns his wife, Valerie as Ralph Jenkins in Red Scare Mystery.
Wanna know more about me? Check out my Profile!

#11 Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates

Member: 5372

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:22 AM

I'm a guitarist. I've been playing with a band on-and-off for a couple years, but we're not doing much at the moment. I write music since I don't like playing covers - mostly folksy indie rock stuff, but my previous band was a grunge band. Here's an older shot - I don't even own that guitar anymore (but I do still play Les Pauls primarily on stage)!

Posted Image

#12 Eilif

Eilif

• Eco-friendly cheapskate

Member: 2913

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:00 PM

View PostCarbohydrates, on 26 June 2010 - 01:22 AM, said:

I'm a guitarist...
... but my previous band was a grunge band. Here's an older shot - I don't even own that guitar anymore (but I do still play Les Pauls primarily on stage)!
Sweet rig! Is that an AC15? I love the sound of an overdriven VOX. My first band's guitarist had an AC30, and my current rhythm guitarrist has an AC15.  I'm also in love with valve amps in general.

As for me...
I'm a bass player.  I played upright bass (doublebass) from elementary through high school, but I don't play it much any more.  I've been mostly an electric bass player for the last 10 years.  I've played in a number of bands, and are currently in a country band (www.janesvillecountry.com) and an indie-rock group.  I also like to assemble, repair, and upgrade basses, and almost all of the basses that I play regularly have been built or heavily modified by me.  Here's me last summer with Janesville from our annual gig at the Wisconsin State Fair.
Posted Image
I built that bass from parts, and my brother-in-law did the paintjob.
Visit scenic Brickington
Article: How to get LEGO for a Penny Per Piece
Member, Northern Illinois LEGO Train Club.

#13 ie10421

ie10421

Member: 8953

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:35 PM

View PostEilif, on 30 June 2010 - 02:00 PM, said:

Sweet rig! Is that an AC15? I love the sound of an overdriven VOX. My first band's guitarist had an AC30, and my current rhythm guitarrist has an AC15.  I'm also in love with valve amps in general.

As for me...
I'm a bass player.  I played upright bass (doublebass) from elementary through high school, but I don't play it much any more.  I've been mostly an electric bass player for the last 10 years.  I've played in a number of bands, and are currently in a country band (www.janesvillecountry.com) and an indie-rock group.  I also like to assemble, repair, and upgrade basses, and almost all of the basses that I play regularly have been built or heavily modified by me.  Here's me last summer with Janesville from our annual gig at the Wisconsin State Fair.
I built that bass from parts, and my brother-in-law did the paintjob.

I didn't know you played at Wisconsin State Fair.  I may need to check that out.  (It's Chris from Brickworld).  (I find it funny that I learned you play at a fair in my home state through eurobricks.)

#14 Stash2Sixx

Stash2Sixx

• I am not a girl!

Member: 3094

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

Played the trumpet from 5th grade on through college.  Marched in college and joined a music Fraternity, PMA.  I sing bass, but don't really read it having worked on Treble Clef for umpteen years.  Haven't picked up the horn much in the last few years, time is a always problem.  Always had fun and met lots of people though.

Some people are like slinkies.  They're not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs! -Anonymous

"Life's tough...It's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

flickr

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

#15 Millacol88

Millacol88

• Pokey

Member: 2723

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:17 PM

View PostEilif, on 30 June 2010 - 02:00 PM, said:

Posted Image

Is that a bass clef on your chest? If so, props!

I've played tenor sax for about a year and a half and am starting to play guitar.

#16 Decale

Decale

Member: 8742

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

I'm a bass player to!
I learned piano when I was young but quitted after 5 yearsn finding it boring.
As a teenager, I started to learn bass by myself using my brother's instrument, and then I had to learn guitar to show to a a guitarist friend a song I would have liked to play with him.
Now I'm in a band, I only play bass on stage ( and sometimes a bassy bluesy guitar with a bottleneck, grrr) but I sometimes compose for our singer/guitarist and our lead guitarist.
I also wrote a few songs, including one whitch subject is the novel IT by Stephen King, entitled Derry, Maine.
I own a Fender Precision bass standard through a Hartke Kickass 15 (120watts) with a Proco Rat distortion. I also own a Squier 51 electric guitar ( see how I use it on the song "derry maine") and a Harley Benton HBCG 45 modified with a 30 years old pick-up from a jazz guitar that belonged to my grand-father.
It would be nice if someone take a look to our songs on youtube!
(Please take note that most of the video are old, we are better now!)

http://www.youtube.com/poldecale
http://www.myspace.com/weezymingo

Our myspace is quite dead...
But let me know if you like our songs!!!
Feel free to take look at my Brickshelf! I'm also on Flickr now.
And! don't! pay! attention! to the numerous "!!!!!!!" in my posts! I can sometimes be full of enthusiasm =)
Paul

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#17 Eilif

Eilif

• Eco-friendly cheapskate

Member: 2913

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

View Postie10421, on 30 June 2010 - 02:35 PM, said:

I didn't know you played at Wisconsin State Fair.  I may need to check that out.  (It's Chris from Brickworld).  (I find it funny that I learned you play at a fair in my home state through eurobricks.)
Come see us on August 7th at the Miller Light Beer Garden stage. 3 sets of music!  It's one of our favorite gigs that we get each year.  This will be my fourth time there.  
Isn't it the case that EB is a place for alot of odd connections?
Is it Chris E from the presentation or a different Chris? (Sorry, but I know alot of Chris's.) :classic:

View PostMillacol88, on 30 June 2010 - 05:17 PM, said:

Is that a bass clef on your chest? If so, props!
Yep, thats a bit o' ink.  Thanks!
Visit scenic Brickington
Article: How to get LEGO for a Penny Per Piece
Member, Northern Illinois LEGO Train Club.

#18 Decale

Decale

Member: 8742

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

Here is a new song of my band (live version)

[url="]
Feel free to take look at my Brickshelf! I'm also on Flickr now.
And! don't! pay! attention! to the numerous "!!!!!!!" in my posts! I can sometimes be full of enthusiasm =)
Paul

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#19 Ceroknight

Ceroknight

• Straight Up Cero!

Member: 12949

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:59 AM

Play guitar, classical and rock
More of a collector now though, have a bunch of signed Les Pauls and other goods...
I will start playing more!
Ceroknight
Posted Image Posted Image
Photo by Librarian-bot:His Fantastic Deviantart page
Brickset  Flickr

#20 nicoga3000

nicoga3000

Member: 14758

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:33 PM

Posted Image

My other hobby.   :classic:

#21 Mrlegoninja

Mrlegoninja

Member: 11901

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:49 PM

I play the most common slide instrument there is.
I also play the instrument with seven notes in an octave, including the notes G, A, and F.
Can you figure out what I play?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Murdered Day 8 as former Armed Forces member and Spider ward member Dudley Eisenhower in Def's Doctor Bloodbrick's Asylum.-Insane
Thank you Jebediahs for that great paper doll!

Died as Congressman Aide Maxwell Touns in Bob's Red Scare Mystery-Town

Died as Pub Owner Mrs. Le Goninja in Def's The Coming Darkness-Town

Died as Pet Store owner Jack Montgomery in Bob's Suburbia
Currently playing as the 40 year old teller Richard Sexton in Hinckley's Red Moon Two!

#22 Emperor Claudius Rome

Emperor Claudius Rome

Member: 6263

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:33 AM

Several months ago I began to take Bass Lessons. I only know two songs at the moment, however, I'm apparently rather talented.
REAL MEN WATCH MLP
*Edit by Hinckley: While this may be true, the Site Guidelines require text no larger than size 3 in your signature. Thank you.

Like History? If so, this is your kind of thread!

#23 mravlja

mravlja

Member: 9494

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:27 AM

Hello. Im a double bass player, but for now I dont play in a band, coz I dont have the time. I played the piano since I was 6 years old, then at the age of 12 I picked up the bass guitar (along with the piano)and at the age of 25 I started studying the double bass (the best instrument in the world ). I love jazz music, metal, rock, pop...Now I'm composing rap music for some friends. See ya.

#24 Syn

Syn

Member: 15067

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

I've played drums for 15 years, guitar off and on for about 3 years, base for about the same time, I've done sound, I've been in dozens of bands ranging from Heavy Metal, pop, to country. You can say that my life is music. I wish I could get a band going again, its hard to find good players with in my area that want to play the same music. There are plenty of players but its like a lead guy plays only country and a rhythm guy plays only cover tunes, and a bassist only plays Soft Classic Rock. Kind of aggravating.
Anyone interested in trading Mummy Collectable Minifigs? I have plenty need to get rid of.

#25 Miss Kyle

Miss Kyle

Member: 15926

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:35 PM

Oh, it's cool that there are some musicians here :)
I used to play bass and sing lead vocals in an all-girl band, but we split up one and a half years ago due to exams, thesises and all that jazz. I'd love to have a new band... our former guitarist is about to move into my spare room in spring, so there's hope :)
"We've come a long way from the Prime Minister's exploding cake."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users