Sign in to follow this  
valentin

Pictorial Review on 7261 Clone Turbo Tank (ROTS version)

Rate the set  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

Product: 7261 Clone Turbo Tank

Theme: Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

No of pieces: 801

Release Date: 3rd April 2005

RRP: SGD224.90/USD89.99

Availability: Lego Shop@Home, Toys 'R' Us (US & Europe), Bricksworld (SG) & local dept. stores.

ctt01.jpg

ctt02.jpg

Help Mace Windu defend the Jedi Knights!

Here comes the massive clone turbo tank, flanked by the swift BARC speeder and ready for battle.

• Detailed set features a working suspension so the Clone Turbo Tank can handle tough terrain!
  • Includes 2 Clone Troopers, Kashyyyk Trooper, 2 Battle Droids, Aerial Trooper and Mace Windu with light-up lightsaber.

ctt03.jpg

At 801 pieces... this set is raking in lots of baggies. And there's two baggies that had a smaller baggie within it that contains those tiny pieces.

ctt05.jpg

The completed set... Took me a couple of hours to build them up. One was unfamiliarity with the new types of bricks, and second, the colours of some of the bricks in the instructional booklets don't exactly match.

That aside, this set is not just a turbo tank... It's one huge playset!! *sweet*

There's just so much accessories and equipment. There's two vehicles, the tank and the speeder. There's seven mini-figs. And out of the blue, there's even a turret equipped with double turbolasers. I wonder where did that come from. X-O

Anyway, let's take a look at those mini-figs first. *vader*

ctt06.jpg

From the republic, there's four troopers and mace windu.

ctt09.jpg

ctt10.jpg

Since all 3 clone troopers have the same body, the clone commander above can just represent each of them.

The clone commander comes with two blasters, but they look more like a pistol than a blaster. :doh:

Still, the fact is these weapons are still better than that loud hailer.

ctt07.jpg

ctt08.jpg

The aerial trooper comes with a long blaster that's just so much better looking. His jet-pack ain't movie-accurate, but that's alright. This design already looks like the actual one if seen from far.

Barc trooper and speeder.

ctt11.jpg

ctt12.jpg

ctt13.jpg

Before I start on the above vehicle, take note that it has been slightly modified from the original. I modified the bottom with four pieces of those single stud, round pieces, to give the illusion of repulsers being active, that is to say, the craft is floating off the ground. The original one has it's bottom flushed with the ground.

I took over 30min to build this. Lots of new pieces type in it. That said, this thing is a beauty. I wish it had been released by itself instead. The tiny Republic emblem is also visible on the engine chasis.

Regarding the likeness of this speeder to the real one, all the major sections are there.

The barc trooper's armour is in camo. colours, and he doesn't come with any personal weapons.

ctt14.jpg

ctt15.jpg

There's two battle droids in this set, one comes with a blaster, the other a tripod.

The tripod is probably used to represent the repeating laser cannon. It's design is really quite unique... *y*

ctt16.jpg

The turret really looks like those seen in EPIV: Empire Strike Back. Anyway, it's weird to have this turret in this set, since I don't recall any such detail in EPIII:ROTS.

Port View

ctt17.jpg

Fore View

ctt18.jpg

Aft View

ctt19.jpg

Overhead View

ctt20.jpg

Finally, the vehicle in which this set is named after. :-D

Firstly, it's movie-accurate. Second, it's actually smaller than mini-fig scale.

Click on the below pic to do a comparison for the scale.

cttcs0or.th.jpg

The tank exterior comes with all the features and parts that the actual movie tank had.

For example,

• Twin antipersonnel blaster cannons at the lower fore and aft areas of the tank.
  • Medium antiperonnel laser cannon at the sides.
  • Rapid-repeating heavy laser cannon at the top aft end.
  • Heavy laser cannon turret at the top, centre of the tank
  • The retractable observation post.
  • The two ammunition loading hatches near the observation post.

One thing though, they got the communication dish mixed up... It spots a laser end now. :-|

ctt21.jpg

The interior of the turbo tank.

ctt23.jpg

ctt22.jpg

At this aft end, there's two seats and also two blasters. This is probably acting as the secondary troop bay.

ctt24.jpg

On this section, it shows two domes. Since, I have got no reference on this, I take take them to be storage tanks for fuel, or probably the fusion generator.

ctt25.jpg

The main cargo bay. On the packaging back, this is where the white turret can be stored.

ctt26.jpg

Last section of the tank features a jack. It moves up or down easily. Anyway, this section is the main control room or cockpit. The jack allows the motion of a mini-fig coming up ad out through the command hatch.

ctt28.jpg

ctt29.jpg

The turbo tank comes with a unique steering system. Tilting the tank to left or right, will steer the tank right or left respectively.

There's also a suspension system for the central wheels, and it works quite well.

ctt04.jpg

Anyway, the mechanisim and structure of the suspension and steering is as shown above.

Overall, the tank is a 'rojak' of both system, non-system, and technic parts. The end result couldn't have been better.

For it's price point, this set is either a hit or miss... and it's a hit. I wouldn't mind saving up to own one of these 'babies', if I were collecting ROTS lego sets. And with six mini-figs, and one LULS mini-fig, it's a riot.

This set performs equally well, whether for play or for display. And the detailing on the tank is certainly an attractive factor.

Since this is a ground vehicle, there's no "swoosh-able" factor. Maybe the speeder has it, but definitely not the tank...

On the other hand... >:-)

There's the battle factor!!! Rawr!!!!

ctt30.jpg

Kind of misery... but that's what they get for being part of the confederency... :-P

ctt31.jpg

Back on track, I mentioned system bricks because they are great for doing MOCs, since they are very general in appearance and not <insert that tiresome argument>. More seen in older sets...

ctt32.jpg

Non-system bricks, can be type unknown or <insert that tiresome argument>. The above pic shows some of them.

Yup, I did got lost for a while amongst the bricks. X-D

In conclusion, this set has its points and flaws... and the points definitely outweigh the flaws enough that the flaws are easily ignored.

I got this set as a gift/prize from The Lego Group and they DHL it to me FOC. The thing is, I probably would have bought this set if I wasn't so focused on collecting flight-worthy star wars craft only, and only from the Original Trilogy.

Anyway, now I have the urge/temptation to get the 7250 clone scout walker. :-/

Tks valentin for such a great review !!!

I love this set !! Seeing your review only makes me want to have the new version now in order to have two tanks ;-)

Awaiting other reviews ;-)

*yoda*

Hmm....hmm. I still don't know whether to buy it. I don't have room for a big box like that. If the box were smaller, I'd buy it, heh.

TT

Great review valentin! It looks very professional and it is a great view of the set.

Although, I already have this set.. but its great to be able to influence new people to buy it.

Jon.

Looks like a really playable and cool set with a really nice sleek design

Hello pldeutelephonz, and welcome to Eurobricks. Please would you introduce yourself here.

Please don't bump ancient topics unless you have something new to add. This pushes newer topics down the page and makes navigating the forum harder for members. Thank you.

Hello pldeutelephonz, and welcome to Eurobricks. Please would you introduce yourself here.

Please don't bump ancient topics unless you have something new to add. This pushes newer topics down the page and makes navigating the forum harder for members. Thank you.

oh I'm really sorry, I had no idea. Okay I will introduce myself. Thanks for the advice. :)