MOC: "Tin Turtle" WW1 Trench Railway Loco

4 replies to this topic

#1 greg3

greg3

Member: 10297

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:07 PM

Posted Image

During World War 1, the British War Department ordered a number of light locomotives for use on narrow gauge railways at or near the front line. The Motor Rail company (later known as Simplex) produced 3 different designs all based around a 40HP petrol engine. The "Open Type" had armour at each end and a light roof; the "Protected Type" also had armoured side doors and a roof that could be raised or lowered on screw jacks; the "Armoured Type" was completely encased in armor except for narrow view slits. The appearance of these engines led to the nickname "Tin Turtles" and they operated in large numbers on trench railways, often within range of enemy fire.

My version is a "Protected Type" based on internet photos.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Inside, the driver sits sideways on a seat above the engine... can't imagine it was very comfortable (or safe - there's a fuel tank in there too)

Posted Image

Posted Image

A little experiment in creating a track for it (and my other narrow gauge engines) to use.

Posted Image

I have to say, I really enjoyed trying to make this and I'm pretty pleased with it. I'm now working on creating a fully armoured version!!
Anyway, thanks for looking - comments alway welcome.
Cheers
Greg

Finally a humble tribute to all the railworkers who have served their country in times of war.

Posted Image

Edited by TheBrickster, 01 June 2010 - 02:02 PM.

#2 Daniel Williams

Daniel Williams

Member: 9074

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:34 PM

Well done, it looks exactly like the real tin turtles of WWI, and love the fact that you knew a lot about the different types of tin turtles. So awesome.

#3 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant

• Popped his title cherry!

Member: 4578

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

I could find only 1 picture of a real one but it's almost exactly the same as your MOC.
So you did a very good job :thumbup: And I have learned something new again :classic:  Wouldn't want to be in one of those things though!
The 'humble tribute was also a nice idea :pirate: Keep it up!
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages

#4 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:13 AM

Excellent design 'greg3' - very realistic - keep on bricking ! :sweet:

#5 talltim

talltim

Member: 3099

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

I'm really enjoying your narrow gauge builds, you've got a good eye for proportion and detail and they look really fun too. I also appreciate that you put some prototype description in to as it's a pretty obscure loco.
I especially like the taps for roof supports and the new (to me) parts you've used for the doors, the sticky out hinges add a nice bit of detail.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users