REVIEW: 7950 Knight's Showdown

28 replies to this topic

Poll: On a scale of 1 to 5 (56 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this set?

1. 1 - Poor (1 votes [1.79%])

Percentage of vote: 1.79%

2. 2 - Below Average (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

3. 3 - Average (16 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

4. 4 - Above Average (20 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

5. 5 - Outstanding! (14 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:36 AM

Posted Image

My second review of the Kingdoms collection is definitely a sweat set.  7950 Knight's Showdown is the smallest of the collection (not counting the impulse sets/figs).

Posted Image

Set Name: Knight's Showdown
Set #: 7950
Theme: Castle
Subtheme: Kingdoms
Year Released: 2010
Pieces: 61
Minifigs: 2
Price: $6.99 (USD) at TRU

I must say that I love the new Kingdoms boxart.  The colors are a nice blend of blue sky, lime green fields, with darker green grass.
Here's the back of the boxas the two knights duel it out with their short swords:

Posted Image

The set has two small bags inside:

Posted Image

These figs are a little different than those contained in the Prison Tower.  The green knight looks a bit like a dungeon master with his black and grey armor design.  The only green is the plume on his bucket helmet.  Aren't the bucket helmets awesome?

Posted Image

Taking them off to look at the knights' faces closer, I swear I've seen the face of the red knight before.  I can't say that I like the old helmet style of the red knight:

Posted Image

Aside from the figs, this set includes the catapult:

Posted Image

and a small sword rack (note: furnishings for the prison tower)

Posted Image

The catapult design is simple yet effective, and one can attach shields to each side.  Unfortunately, only one red knight's shield is included.  I think the sword rack is just a little extra that was thrown in for a bonus.

A picture of the complete set:

Posted Image

and the extra pieces (note: the round 1x1s are the projectiles for the catapult):

Posted Image

My green army is slowly getting larger:

Posted Image

Thoughts

Knight's Showdown is a great little starter set to provide you with an introduction to the Kingdoms theme.  It's probably not the best army builder, but a few of these sets certainly help the cause.  The catapult design is nice and while it moves pretty well with the barrel lid wheels, the catapult itself seems a bit small (and short).  Not much more to say other than I would definitely buy this again; in fact I may buy a couple extra.  Now I plan to open the prison carriage to add to my green army.  I'll post a picture once I have a few more figs.  I'm looking forward to the troop packs.

#2 The Cobra

The Cobra

• RA Anniversary that 'jumps' in once a year

Member: 2895

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:08 AM

Thanks for this review too!

A nice little set worth getting two of, but I still think every Fantasy era counterpart looks better than the corresponding Kingdoms set.
Most overread phrase on S@H: "Sorry, item is not available in this country: Italy."

Quick Links: My introduction topic -  My first sets - My LDD MOCs. My Brickset: Have list - Want list. Reviews archive: see About me page.

#3 legitimatealex

legitimatealex

Member: 9691

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:49 AM

Is a catapult really the best way to take someone down one on one?
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ My LEGO Creations and my humor, all on display for the glory of the Internet.

#4 iamded

iamded

• Cannot neigh to save his life.

Member: 1225

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

Woo! This set is a must get for me. I love it.

First off, the figs are fantastic. I love how the dragon knight looks totally serious, but without the helmet he's just having fun. :laugh: The printing and designs are amazing. I do love how they've kept the old grilled helmet design. As much as I love the bucket helm, I'd be disappointed if it had completely replaced the old grilled helm. And of course it's great to have plumage back.

The accessories are nice. I'm glad the catapult isn't planted to the ground like in most small sets like this. The wheels make it much better. And as you mentioned, the sword rack would definitely look nice in the prison tower, liven the place up a bit. :grin:

Well, thank you very much for this great review, TheBrickster! I can't wait for this set.
~Peace

Check out Eurobricks' RPG, Mafia and Wargames forum for the best fun.

#5 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for the review 'The Brickster' - COOL set - cheap but still packed with bits, these will sell well for kids birthday present's easy ! :grin:
Excellent figures !
Keep on bricking everyone ! :sweet:

#6 Calanon

Calanon

Member: 7327

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:02 PM

Thank you for the review. I like this set, the catapult is pretty neat. I would've liked black or dark grey hands for the Lion knight to represent gloves/gauntlet, but that is easily fixed. :classic:

"No. What I'm saying is that Wales should be completely removed from the planet." - Pinioncorp, 9th October 2011.

Carol Nottingham in Party Lines Mafia

#7 Shroffy123

Shroffy123

Member: 10502

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:05 PM

I was hesitant about buying this set.  I don't like that the red knight has one of those horrendous old grill helmets.  But I might just pick it up now, the pieces will help furnish the prison tower set.

#8 fenrir

fenrir

Member: 3185

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:19 PM

Bought this set one hour ago,
it's a great one/

#9 Plastic Nurak

Plastic Nurak

Member: 10742

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:22 PM

IMO, the #6039 catapult is ever the best among little catapults. But, this little one is nice, I must admit.
THANKS, MADIBA

efferman said:

but anyway we are all lego Users. i dont care which nationality the people have.

Stupid questions hater

*/hating himself when asking something stupid*/

#10 squiz

squiz

Member: 9904

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for the review, looks like a great little set. I will pick up one or two no doubt !

#11 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Member: 2351

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:02 PM

The Knights showdown. The only biggest difference is not having any steed on either sides. Oh well, this set is a little costly but I agreed that this set is a nice starter for any new Castle collectors whom want to try out on this theme, plus this is one of the most affordable option to grab that new Great Helm headpiece. If I compare this with the 7009 Royal Joust, this is not very attractive, but then again, being a Castle collector, this set is still a much decent looking army builder set along with some useful parts.  :sweet:

My BrickLink Store // Sign up for Reviewers Academy // Trains & Town Reviews // Black Knights Kingdom (EBRP) // Watch out EB News!

Click here to find out more about WhiteFang

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

My name is Wilhalm Bloodaxe and I am back to be part of the Ragnarök Now Redux.

Lord Kenneth Valise, Level 1 Knight, 28yrs old human
Power: 4 Health: 10/10 Gold: 10
Inventory: One potion, a Greatsword (WP: 3) and a Shield (SP: 2)

#12 Nagyzee

Nagyzee

Member: 10540

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:36 AM

Gosh, not another catapult.:D Though I guess this set is more about the minifigs. I rate this average as I don't like the chain-heavy torso of the green knight.

And I have to agree with WhiteFang that 7009 was a whole lot better for a very similar price.

#13 Legononymous

Legononymous

Member: 9509

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:32 AM

I can't speak on this as compared to the older sets as I have none yet. However. I really love this set. I like the bucket helm. What is the difference between that and a barrel helm? Are they the same and just forms of Great helms?

I plan on getting at least two more. I want to try and only focus on three themes. This being one of them.

Edited by Legononymous, 25 May 2010 - 01:40 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 Piranha

Piranha

• Tag! You're it

Member: 1506

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:18 AM

Great Review B  :thumbup:

These kingdoms sets are just like pirates, great accessories and great small army building sets  :cry_happy:
This one is no exception. Army of catapults on battle line a must  :grin:

Probably will not buy this one but instead the prison cart.

Rated "Above average"

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image

#15 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:22 AM

Macoco, on May 24 2010, 07:18 PM, said:

Probably will not buy this one but instead the prison cart.
Ya, I think the Prison Cart is a better set as well.  This set will most likely be around half the price ($5 USD) in most stores.  TRU always jacks up their prices.  I actually want a $5 set with about three figs for the value.  All of these Kingdoms sets seem to be limited on the figs (esp. the Dragon Knights).

#16 Calilon0937

Calilon0937

Member: 11033

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

Such a good set! I can't wait to get one! How great!

Edited by Calilon0937, 31 May 2010 - 03:43 PM.

#17 ZO6

ZO6

• EB Adventurers Reviewer and now a Teacher

Member: 1532

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for this review Brickster.

This is a decent little set that's both fun by itself, or integrated with some of the larger sets in the Kingdoms line.

Whenever I see this set, I can't help but think of the scene from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly when Tuco is trying to flee to the cemetery and Blondie uses a cannon on him a couple of times.  As seen starting about 6:30 into the video here

#18 BearHeart

BearHeart

Member: 1099

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:31 PM

I just got this set and the white parts of the torso of the lion solider are pink. Anyone else have this problem in this set?

#19 metalandi

metalandi

Member: 2594

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:34 PM

Are we talking about real PINK here, or a pink-ish white? If it is actually really pink, you should contact the customer service. If it's just a pinkish shade, i wouldn't bother much about it i guess. That's because of the red plastic under the white print.

#20 Barricade769

Barricade769

Member: 5731

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

[quote name='TheBrickster' date='May 22 2010, 07:36 AM' post='741308']
Aren't the bucket helmets awesome?

Yes. Yes they are  :sweet:
Thanks for the great review Brickster. I'm not usually into castle themes, but I've gotta admit that these Kingdoms sets are really tempting me. My poor poor wallet  :laugh:
And from that day forward, anytime a bunch of animals are together in one place, it's called a Tzu!
....unless it's a farm.

#21 BearHeart

BearHeart

Member: 1099

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

metalandi, on Jun 4 2010, 07:34 PM, said:

Are we talking about real PINK here, or a pink-ish white? If it is actually really pink, you should contact the customer service. If it's just a pinkish shade, i wouldn't bother much about it i guess. That's because of the red plastic under the white print.

Well, its just the red torso coming through the white paint but I think it looks really bad. I'm thinking of holding off buying the big caste set in hopes that maybe LEGO will improve the quality of the paint in this set in the future.

#22 Legononymous

Legononymous

Member: 9509

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:55 PM

I'm commenting as well about the lion torso being pink where it should be white. It's a lot closer to pink then it is white and I have five sets. I'm too picky.

Update!  Just opened two new sets and the torsos are white where they are supposed to be white. Seems the previous problem is fixed.

Edited by Legononymous, 17 June 2010 - 12:59 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 Cpt. Dan

Cpt. Dan

Member: 10350

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:26 PM

I just got this set along with the Wizard yesterday... I ended up getting 2 extra plumes for the helmets (2 red 2 green). I think it was only supposed to include 2 not 4? either way I was happy used them on a ship I was converting last night.
Youtube/Reviews and Customs

Flikr/Customs, Finds, and Pictures[/center]

#24 josykay

josykay

Member: 10581

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

I ended up getting 2 extra plumes for the helmets (2 red 2 green). I think it was only supposed to include 2 not 4? either way I was happy used them on a ship I was converting last night.
I got 2 extra plumes too. This is very strange, because if you look at the Review, there are no extra plumes in his set. But I like the extra plumes, which can be used for converting the outpost tower into a dragon knights tower, for giving the black knight in the advent calendar a plume, so he can be a green knight oder just for replacing lost plumes.

BTW: I got a red extra plume in the "Prison Carriage" set. Are we getting every plume twice?

Edited by josykay, 18 June 2010 - 10:03 AM.

#25 Cpt. Dan

Cpt. Dan

Member: 10350

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:35 AM

josykay, on 18 June 2010 - 10:02 AM, said:

I got 2 extra plumes too. This is very strange, because if you look at the Review, there are no extra plumes in his set. But I like the extra plumes, which can be used for converting the outpost tower into a dragon knights tower, for giving the black knight in the advent calendar a plume, so he can be a green knight oder just for replacing lost plumes.

BTW: I got a red extra plume in the "Prison Carriage" set. Are we getting every plume twice?

Nope, I only got one in that set. Looks like it is a matter of luck. I'll take it.
Youtube/Reviews and Customs

Flikr/Customs, Finds, and Pictures[/center]

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users