starstreak

REVIEW: 7599 Garbage Truck Getaway

This review is on the 7599 Garbage Truck Getaway

Quote from Lego.com. I didn't want to say too much besides what LEGO said since the movie hasn't be released yet.

Jessie and Buzz are trapped in a big garbage truck and on their way to the dump! Can they escape the clutches of Lotso and Twitch before they suffer a smelly fate?

Includes Buzz, Jessie, Twitch and Lotso minifigures

Garbage Truck measures 8.5'' (22cm) long and 5'' (13cm) high

Lift the dumpster and empty it into the truck!

Truck hopper opens as dumpster is lifted over the top!

Set Name: 7599 Garbage Truck Getaway

Theme: Toy Story 3

Released: 2010

Pieces: 402

Price: $49.99/$39.34EURO/33.84GBP

Here are some quicklinks Lego.com, Brickset, Bricklink

Wanna see some pictures? Let's start with the normal box arts and manuals!

Box Front

4587080865_e35e1778a6.jpg

Wow! Limited Edition! You HAVE to buy it! All kidding aside, I think it's because they give you Twitch and the normal cast of characters are dirty.

Box Rear

4587706544_cf06e13127.jpg

Here you can see the operation of the Garbage truck and the name of the characters.

Parts Bags

4587707698_2df4974a67.jpg

4 parts bag. Weird part is that Buzz's parts are in the numbered bag, not just in the minifig bag.

Manuals

4587084353_6ca7b72470.jpg

Duplicated manual covers. Nothing special.

Parts Lists (Page 1 and 2)

4587085259_a2c26a7761.jpg

4587710556_f520da5d1c.jpg

Look at sheet one in the middle. Part#4588493 is new I think. It's the loading arm for the Garbage Bin.

Minifigs Front

4587086973_768e0b029d.jpg

Look at the dirt on them. I thought maybe they were stickers, but to my surprise, they are actually part of the minifig design. I want to say decals, but that's not the right word. Twitch's antenna are easy to lose as they come off. Buzz's wings come off and so does his half helmet, which also comes off easily. Lotso still looks mean, and Jessie really looks sad. :cry_sad: No, the hat doesn't come off.

Minifigs Rear

4587712328_dddf755252.jpg

I just noticed that Lotso has a white tag like a real doll. Jessie's hair is part of the head. Twitch's wings are new too. Really looks like a bug.

On to the build!

4600713434_91a05c69e7.jpg

4600714306_0331838455.jpg

4600715174_d43473f12b.jpg

4600098439_be2be91d96.jpg

That's the end of the dumpster build. Looks real. Too bad it can't hold all the minifigs. While the build has the wheels facing sideways, I wonder if it would've been better facing 90deg the other way so it would help "slide" the dumpster on the dumpster's arms on the Garbage Truck?

Garbage Truck build

4600717018_7a1679163b.jpg

4600100239_e56d4d6bbe.jpg

4600101023_b647463723.jpg

Very interesting way of adding the gas tank on the Garbage Truck.

4600101829_eb00680312.jpg

4600720454_9435841f25.jpg

4600721382_f85919bf3e.jpg

4600722138_27ae961d43.jpg

4600723004_84045d22b4.jpg

4600105903_c3793bc9a5.jpg

See? No steering wheel. How weird is that? Btw, Jessie can't fit in there. Can you figure out why? lol!

4600106645_c5c79171a0.jpg

Pretty smart. Did you notice that the whole front window can pivot up wards?

Garbage Container build

4600107489_8639d9c1cd.jpg

4600108363_102ff5e12a.jpg

4600109181_948323767d.jpg

4600109991_f80c719a58.jpg

4600110865_7d1f099957.jpg

4600729820_eb46b50fd9.jpg

4600730602_e6f81ced35.jpg

4600116975_3d90447885.jpg

4600735734_2b268e96d3.jpg

4600736664_94da4ea45c.jpg

4600737440_5971ca03f1.jpg

Wow. I thought that was neat how they made the top to open. What I didn't know is that it's AUTOMATIC! When you raise the bin up, it actually opens the top up to take in the garbage! Go see the little movie clip I made. Go on. Go watch it in HD. :)

Building of the lifting arms

4600120373_d73c80d58f.jpg

4600739070_451b1c3aaa.jpg

4600122255_61a6dcefbd.jpg

4600123115_d23f83f7c8.jpg

4600123891_bfe5957c3b.jpg

4600124759_cc729aaf49.jpg

All done! Looks like the real deal. Sorta. Ok, real enough for a toy.

Finished picture

4600125739_10db9bfd84.jpg

Everybody smile. Ok, maybe not Jessie.

HD video for you to watch. If you click on them and goto youtube's site, you can view them full size and select HD. It's clearer than the normal 480sd.

Here you can the Garbage truck arms in action. That is so neat. Very well thought out.

And once loaded, you can raise the Garbage container and open the rear door to empty the contents.

My rating

Playability: 5/5. Very playable with all the minifigs. I just watched my son and daughter "Borrow" my set and play with it for about 30mins. For some strange reason, the dumping in and out of the garbage truck just fascinated them.

Design: 3/5. Not bad. I wish they made the set a bit bigger. As stated, the garbage container doesn't hold all the minifigs. Now that I think about it, this set is really way off scale. I wonder if this is supposed to be a "toy" Garbage Truck more than a real one. I guess seeing the movie is the only way to find out. Oh, no steering wheel in the truck, although there are one on each side of the truck. lol.

Build experience: 2/5. No stickers. And everything was easy to put together. Even for small hands. only thing easier to build would be a duplo set.

Overall: 4/5. It's a limited edition. Only thing I can figure is that you get Twitch, and the normal cast of characters are DIRTY. Not with stickers, but actually part of the stamped design. It seems like Star Wars, the Toy Story line is expensive. 400 pieces and I paid $50, makes this one of the "cheaper" Toy Story 3 sets to get.

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed it! This was not using my normal Canon 5DmkII, so photos and movies(Still in HD) may not be the same quality, I hope you liked my review still. I had to do this build in secret. For those who know me, you know why.

All photos are click able for larger, bigger-than-life picture sizes! You can see all photos used here, including the larger build pictures: 7599 Garbage Truck Getaway.

Starstreak!!, It's been to long, I see you've just been prepping to drop a crazy good review.

I love your pictures, they are so good. Plus this makes me want this set, the technic work on it is actually nice and useful. Plus a dirty Lotso seems like fun.

Awesome review!!!

no poll?

Thanks for the excellent review of this excellent set!

Of all the Lego Toy Story sets, this one is the only one I actually like a lot, and it's the only one I'll probably get, so I was looking forward to reading a review of the set!

I just really like the look of both the truck and the minifigs included! And the functionality of the system looks pretty smart.

The 'dirty' look of the figures adds to their coolness and of course their uniqueness.

Edited by Alldarker

To me this set is the best of the whole TS3 line in terms of price to piece ratio.

I am grateful that you highlighted the automatic opening. :thumbup: The minifigs are lovely. :wub:

Thanks for the amazing review.

Excellent review indeed. I am not used to see such a large scale vehicle, but due to the fact that these Toy Story characters are small, it's logical for such scales. I am surprised to see the 3 primary minifigs have dirt printed onto them. I thought it was the usual looking characters and it's nice to see them in such a detailed manner. Furthermore, one of the main reasons apart from the fun play value provided by the garbage truck, it's the exclusive minifig, Twitch. :sweet:

Thanks Starstreak, it's great to see you back into reviewing action once more. :thumbup:

I think your right about the scale issues, it's supposed to be a full sized trash truck.

Watch this clip

Then go to the very end, what do you see? Our trash truck. So I wonder why Lego decided to make it "toy" scale rather than larger. It looks fantastic non-the-less and would fit into a Lego City flawlessly.

I think your right about the scale issues, it's supposed to be a full sized trash truck.

Watch this clip

Then go to the very end, what do you see? Our trash truck. So I wonder why Lego decided to make it "toy" scale rather than larger. It looks fantastic non-the-less and would fit into a Lego City flawlessly.

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I', going to ask anyways...

You mention that the set is "too small," however for City fans such as myself, do you think this could fit into scale, or is it to big for the City theme?

I love the looks of it, and have been awaiting a similar set, but can't justify the $50 price tag, at least until i know it will actually fit.

Thanks in advance,

Daybringer

You mention that the set is "too small," however for City fans such as myself, do you think this could fit into scale, or is it to big for the City theme?

Well the toys are the same size as standard minifigs, and it seems to fit their scale just right. So I would assume it should fit into a City just fine. However the fact that the minifigs in this set are supposed to be 10 inch tall toys, then the scale is completely off with the truck.

Edited by k_peek_2000

Well the toys are the same size as standard minifigs, and it seems to fit their scale just right. So I would assume it should fit into a City just fine. However for the fact that the minifigs in this set are supposed to be 10 inch tall toys, then the scale is completely off with the truck.

I will assume that the standard LEGO City sets minifigures and vehicles are scaled to the size of a typical human being size, whereas, the Toy Story characters are supposed to be in a much smaller scale comparing to minifigs size since these Toy Story characters are supposed to be "Toys". To match up with the right proportions, the vehicles must be on a larger scale than usual to illustrate the size differences.

Integrating Toy Story vehicles into the current City setup is a mixed feeling for me. I am not very comfortable to see a giant scale vehicle roaming around my City streets but that does not mean I don't like this truck at all. In fact, I like the design of it but I could not give a firm reason on what to do with it.

However, if I am planning a layout which is similar to the Town inside Toy Story and the scale is followed based on that scenario, then I will think it's much approriate to do in this manner.

Thanks for the review and that is one big truck, ten stud wide well that will have to be shrunk down to fit regular city layouts eh ?

Interesting truck build with a working dumpster lift and load mechanism - SWEET, but I won't be buying one - I prefer the train and dump truck (especially cheaper option to get Lotso :grin: ) !

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

great review, love the way the roof lifts automatically with the bin !

I think you're being too hard on the Build score. For a set with a fair number of Technic bits and functionality, it's really quite brilliant, IMO. Considering the set is designed for younger fans, it's amazing the build is so easy, yet still very satisfying. Seeing the windscreen lift up the first time brought a smile to my face, and I'm an old fogey compared to the folks who'll typically be playing with this. And the whole garbage lifting system...super clever stuff.

I like a challenge, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to see such quick results too. :classic:

As for the scale, it is minifig, but within the context of the theme, it's really it's own. Still, with a bit of modification I can see it roaming around Lego City along with the other utility vehicles.

Thanks for the review!

Edited by gunm

Thanks to all for your comments. :)

I think you're being too hard on the Build score. For a set with a fair number of Technic bits and functionality, it's really quite brilliant, IMO. Considering the set is designed for younger fans, it's amazing the build is so easy, yet still very satisfying. Seeing the windscreen lift up the first time brought a smile to my face, and I'm an old fogey compared to the folks who'll typically be playing with this. And the whole garbage lifting system...super clever stuff.

I like a challenge, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to see such quick results too. :classic:

2/5? My point was that it was easy to build and that almost anybody can do it without any issues. Not that easy/junk. :)

Thanks to all for your comments. :)

2/5? My point was that it was easy to build and that almost anybody can do it without any issues. Not that easy/junk. :)

Oops, yes that makes sense now! :tongue: Thanks for the clarification.

Nice review! I like the truck itself :thumbup: , but am not a fan of the minifigs (if you can call them that) or the licensed price premium :cry_sad: .

Many thanks for this review, starstreak.

I really like this set and it's right behind the Western Train Chase on top of my list from all sets of the 2nd Toy Story wave.

What I like most are the rare dark green parts of the truck, all the new minifigs and of course the play value of the set.

Really great set!

A terrific review of this set.

But you wouldn´t hardly expect anything else from one of our great teachers either :grin:

Nice with the videos as well to show of the features of the set.

With all great reviews out there now I realy want to see Toy Story 3 so I can reccon the modls in LEGO.

Hmm, I didn't notice that the front of the truck was that small. There's hardly any space. I don't mind the lack of space from the exterior, but the inside could be better. The feature is quite nice, but from excessive use may give minifigs a battering...

I hadn't noticed the dumpster doesn't have a lid. A partial disappointment, but oh well.