General Redwater`s guide to bayonets.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic  – Started by General Redwater , Apr 27 2010 10:15 PM

#1 General Redwater

General Redwater
  • Captain Blue Hair urgently needs to change pants!

Member: 9843

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:15 PM

Hello, welcome to General Redwater`s guide to bayonets.  You are about to learn how to put a bayonet on a weapon and how to charge.  So without further delay........................................
(text at bottom of picture)
Posted Image
Hello, and welcome to this guide.  
Today we have one of our soldiers from the ranks to demonstrate to us a bayonet.
Posted Image
We are going to use a Brickarms combat knife as a bayonet; since the new bayonet isn`t out yet.
Posted Image
Our proud soldier stands at attention, and awaits orders.
FIX YOUR BAYONETS!
Posted Image
As the order is given the soldier takes his bayonet out of the pack.
Posted Image
He brings it up..........
Posted Image
......and places it on his weapon.
Posted Image
Then he places his weapon on his shoulder.
CHARGE YOUR BAYONETS!
Once again as the order is given the soldier acts quickly.
Posted Image
He takes his weapon from his shoulder and............................
Posted Image
........puts it in his other hand; and brings it down near his waist.
Now that fixing and presenting his bayonet is done, lets see how well he does in the field.
Posted Image
I have never seen a more doomed Bluecoat. :pir_laugh2:
Posted Image
I hope you enjoyed this presention. :pir-sweet:
-
General Redwater

Edited by General Redwater, 27 April 2010 - 10:16 PM.

Thank you Joey Lock for my smilies.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks Jebediahs!
Join The Brick Hope!

"We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender and even if, which I do not for the moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, will carry on the struggle until in God's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old."
- Prime Minister Winston Churchill (after the fall of France)

#2 Commodore Hornbricker

Commodore Hornbricker
  • Cyborg Chef Splatter

Member: 5169

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:32 PM

Excellent technique and execution on the part of that Redcoat soldier.  The training definately shows.

That brought a smile to my face!  :pir_laugh2: Thanks for that.
Posted Image Sail on over to the Port of Brick Royal
"I am not having him flogged for fighting, Mr. Gerard." - Horatio Hornblower

#3 hawkrider

hawkrider

Member: 9692

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:42 PM

Nice guide,but think almost every soldier knows how to fix a bayonet.

Edited by hawkrider, 30 April 2010 - 12:36 AM.

In the begging there was only 3 men one liked the color red ,another liked the color blue,and the last one liked the color green.Then they found some coats and started hitting each other.That's how war was made.
I will only have respect for redcoats when they actually make a "General Redwater's amazing bleach!"

#4 General Redwater

General Redwater

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:47 PM

View Posthawkrider, on Apr 27 2010, 06:42 PM, said:

Nice guide ,but  think almIost every soldier knows how to fix a bayonet.
This is for all the Bluecoats to learn how. :pir_laugh2:
-
General Redwater
Thank you Joey Lock for my smilies.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks Jebediahs!
Join The Brick Hope!

"We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender and even if, which I do not for the moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, will carry on the struggle until in God's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old."

#5 Ratshot

Ratshot
  • Thank you for your contributions!

Member: 4799

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:47 PM

That was rather funny, whats with the ladies standing by Commodore and me? :pir_laugh2:

My flickr

Posted Image
1969 Dodge Charger RT

#6 General Redwater

General Redwater

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:04 PM

View PostRatshot, on Apr 28 2010, 04:47 PM, said:

That was rather funny, whats with the ladies standing by Commodore and me? :pir_laugh2:
I think I did it to make my sigfig look embarrased, and for a good laugh. :pir_laugh2:   I hope you don`t mind though.
-
General Redwater
Thanks Jebediahs!
Join The Brick Hope!

#7 Commodore Hornbricker

Commodore Hornbricker
  • Cyborg Chef Splatter

Member: 5169

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:32 PM

View PostGeneral Redwater, on Apr 28 2010, 11:04 PM, said:

I think I did it to make my sigfig look embarrased, and for a good laugh. :pir_laugh2:   I hope you don`t mind though.
-
General Redwater

Not at all.  It had the desired effect on me...I laughed.
Posted Image Sail on over to the Port of Brick Royal
"I am not having him flogged for fighting, Mr. Gerard." - Horatio Hornblower

#8 General Redwater

General Redwater

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:23 PM

View PostCommodore Hornbricker, on Apr 28 2010, 06:32 PM, said:

Not at all.  It had the desired effect on me...I laughed.
I`m glad that you liked it. :pir-cry_happy:
-
General Redwater
Thanks Jebediahs!
Join The Brick Hope!

#9 lt.Gonville brickhead

lt.Gonville brickhead

Member: 10353

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:36 PM

im liking it

although the secound last picture is just before the bluecoat does a backflip kicks the redcoat in the face grabs his gun and kills him
Posted Image

For the glory of the british empire
what empire
there is none                                  
sombody should tell them

Theres nothing wrong with me theres just something
not right that makes me better

#10 General Redwater

General Redwater

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

View Postlt.Gonville brickhead, on Apr 29 2010, 11:36 AM, said:

although the secound last picture is just before the bluecoat does a backflip kicks the redcoat in the face grabs his gun and kills him
If a Bluecoat did a backflip with a bayonet pointed at his throat( like in the picture ) he would probably impale himself. :pir_laugh2:
-
General Redwater

Edited by General Redwater, 29 April 2010 - 08:32 PM.

Thanks Jebediahs!
Join The Brick Hope!

#11 Captain Becker

Captain Becker
  • Once a red coat, not always a red coat.

Member: 8823

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:13 PM

Ne, i see at Hornbricker is there too  :pir-classic:  exept at that shouldet thing (i forget the name) should been whte. but thats nice MOC/Rewier

Captain Becker
Posted Image Posted Image <---- Thank you so much joey!
Thank you Jebediahs

Currently playing as: Captain Charles J. Becker, Oleon in BOBS
Posted Image

#12 Ratshot

Ratshot
  • Thank you for your contributions!

Member: 4799

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

View PostGeneral Redwater, on Apr 28 2010, 07:04 PM, said:

I hope you don`t mind though.
Of course I don't mind.

View PostCommodore Hornbricker, on Apr 28 2010, 07:32 PM, said:

It had the desired effect on me...I laughed.
I snickered.

My flickr

Posted Image
1969 Dodge Charger RT

#13 hawkrider

hawkrider

Member: 9692

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:40 AM

View PostGeneral Redwater, on Apr 27 2010, 05:47 PM, said:

This is for all the Bluecoats to learn how. :pir_laugh2:
-
General Redwater
We don't need them they just make it harder to reload. so while the lobsters are stabbing themselves and shooting randomly out in the open we're shooting behind covered trees. :pir_laugh2:

View PostGeneral Redwater, on Apr 29 2010, 0 just 2:51 PM, said:

If a Bluecoat did a backflip with a bayonet pointed at his throat( like in the picture ) he would probably impale himself. :pir_laugh2:
-
General Redwater
ATLEAST he died killing a redcoat.
In the begging there was only 3 men one liked the color red ,another liked the color blue,and the last one liked the color green.Then they found some coats and started hitting each other.That's how war was made.
I will only have respect for redcoats when they actually make a "General Redwater's amazing bleach!"

#14 the enigma that is badger

the enigma that is badger
  • I don't make 'em, I just hype 'em!

Member: 2134

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:20 PM

Funny and informative!   The "bayonetting-as-spectator-sport" had me chuckling for more than bit!  :pir_laugh2:

A question to you and other Pirate fans out there: I noticed in these shots you positioned the bayonet such that it was mounted to the side of the musket rather than under the barrel.  Was this type of placement more common than others in one or more eras?  I've tried to do a bit of research but haven't found anything definitive.  

Thanks for any info you guys can provide!
"I watched him die all night. It was a long, slow thing and he fought it all the way. He never whimpered and he never quit. He took all the time he had as though he loved life very much. Every second of it...even the pain. Then, he was dead."

Flickr

#15 General Redwater

General Redwater

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:01 PM

View Postthe enigma that is badger, on Apr 30 2010, 01:20 PM, said:

A question to you and other Pirate fans out there: I noticed in these shots you positioned the bayonet such that it was mounted to the side of the musket rather than under the barrel.  Was this type of placement more common than others in one or more eras?  I've tried to do a bit of research but haven't found anything definitive.  

The bayonet in colonial period to napoleonic period was placed on the side of the barrel of the musket.  It was because it would slide into place and than fixed permanently until physically taken off.  There was a notch on the top of the barrel that would fit into a hole on the bayonet, then they would slide the bayonet downward so the bayonet coudn`t be taken off unless turned clockwise.

I hope this helps. :pir-sweet:
-
General Redwater

Edited by General Redwater, 30 April 2010 - 08:02 PM.

Thanks Jebediahs!
Join The Brick Hope!

#16 the enigma that is badger

the enigma that is badger
  • I don't make 'em, I just hype 'em!

Member: 2134

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:13 PM

View PostGeneral Redwater, on Apr 30 2010, 03:01 PM, said:

The bayonet in colonial period to napoleonic period was placed on the side of the barrel of the musket.  It was because it would slide into place and than fixed permanently until physically taken off.  There was a notch on the top of the barrel that would fit into a hole on the bayonet, then they would slide the bayonet downward so the bayonet coudn`t be taken off unless turned clockwise.
Interesting.  Thanks for the information, and again, nice work on this tutorial!
"I watched him die all night. It was a long, slow thing and he fought it all the way. He never whimpered and he never quit. He took all the time he had as though he loved life very much. Every second of it...even the pain. Then, he was dead."

Flickr

#17 General Redwater

General Redwater

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:57 PM

View Postthe enigma that is badger, on Apr 30 2010, 05:13 PM, said:

Interesting.  Thanks for the information, and again, nice work on this tutorial!
Thanks, I`m glad to help.  :pir-classic:
-
General Redwater
Thanks Jebediahs!
Join The Brick Hope!

#18 Scouty

Scouty
  • 6 weeks late to the party!

Member: 863

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

View Postthe enigma that is badger, on Apr 30 2010, 12:20 PM, said:

Funny and informative!   The "bayonetting-as-spectator-sport" had me chuckling for more than bit!  :pir_laugh2:

Yes, as said before, the "socket bayonet" is at the side of the musket. I believe the earlier bayonets were fixed under the musket, but it was later moved to the side as it proved to be an obstacle in loading the musket. Here is a quick picture evolution of the bayonet:

The first bayonets were quite crude, actually. They were the "plug bayonets", in which the soldier basically stuffed a knife in the barrel and that created the long pike. However, it did plug the musket, so they couldn't fire the weapon.

Posted Image

Next came the ring bayonet, which was a vast improvement of the previous one. For one, it did not hinder the barrel from being blocked, so it could still be fired. It, like the plug bayonet, was short lived, however. It was attached with two rings sliding on the barrel, sort of like modern knife bayonets.

Posted Image

Then came the socket bayonet, the most successful of these "old" bayonets. With a triangular blade, a long barrel with zig-zag cuts allowed it to be slipped over the barrel and slid into place. The front sight, or bayonet lug, would keep it in place. Not much later, though, a ring would further aid in securing the bayonet.

Posted Image

Showing the lug:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Hope this helps :pir-classic:
.Posted Image
"Mr. Nowhere" John Doe >:] | Bruno Bear, the watchmaker | Sassy Cooter | Scar Mimitsus >:] |
First Officer Commander Cameron Walters :3 | Casey Cat, Puuurfect painter | Sveinn, the Uninspired :3 | Scouty | L'il Scouty | Langston Lionheart >:]

#19 NewRight

NewRight
  • Captain Blue Hair is the best!

Member: 3286

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:19 PM

Wow! Thanks for sharing this interesting Guide/Tutorial with us. I really like it.

#20 General Redwater

General Redwater

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:05 AM

View PostNewRight, on May 4 2010, 05:19 PM, said:

Wow! Thanks for sharing this interesting Guide/Tutorial with us. I really like it.
Thanks. :pir-sweet: I was just wondering, if you liked this guide, would you or others be interested in other guides?
Thanks Jebediahs!
Join The Brick Hope!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links