Sign in to follow this  
MagPiesRUs

HMS Ambuscade vs. Bayonnaise, 14th Dec. 1798

I've been working on a MOC loosely based on the skirmish between the British frigate HMS Ambuscade and the French corvette Bayonnaise. It's not quite finished yet, I'm working on some better rigging and a mast as well as a few other bits and pieces.

Outgunned and outmaneuvered, Bayonnaise rammed HMS Ambuscade and proceeded to board and capture the British frigate. This was seen as a great victory by the French, and many paintings were made to commemorate their naval triumph.

Ambuscade_vs_Bayonnaise-Crépin-1.jpgAmbuscade_vs_Bayonnaise-Crépin-2.jpg

More info here

Overview:

IMG_3977.jpg

Bayonnaise fires off a couple of final shots before the boarding.

IMG_3985.jpg

Under the deck of HMS Ambuscade. Obviously the green bush is just a place holder. Once I get my hands on the PoP sets, I'll be replacing it with a dark tan bush.

IMG_3980.jpg

The French boarding party:

IMG_3984.jpg

One poor frenchman loses his balance:

IMG_3978.jpg

Combat on the deck:

IMG_3983.jpg

Enjoy! Feedback will be much appreciated. :pir-classic:

Edited by TinyPiesRUs

Wow! That's a beautiful MOC. The detail put into it is amazing. The only thing I see as being inaccurate is that the HMS Ambuscade is not being rammed by the Bayonnaise. I only point this out because you brought it up in the description. It looks great regardless of this. The action is done extraordinarily well in my opinion.

really good moc. Using the bush as splintering wood is great ! Maybe you could have a cannon ball coming out of the end of it ?

Very nice vignette. The detail is amazing.

I can't wait to see the rest of the entries to the contest.

This a pretty nicely conceived MOC, really! :thumbup: Love the concept and, of course, all the action all around :pir-wink:

That's a very nice battle you chose. It was also one of my possible ideas. My ship the Vesta is partly based on the Bayonnaise, very nice ship :pir-classic:

Your MOC is also looking good so far. But I would not use the paper in the water since it looks a bit out of place

For the rest there's a lot of great action in it. Keep it up!

Very nice battle! It has a lot of good action, but I would see if that new dark tan bush would better fit the splintered wood, than the green one. Other than that I think it's great. :pir-classic:

But I would not use the paper in the water since it looks a bit out of place

I will agree whit Croissant, the paper sure looks a bit weird and therest of MOC is gool, keep it up

Captain Becker

I like it! But why is there a Green explosion from the deck? I hadn't heard of this battle before, But looking at the figures, the French lost more men on the day...Strange. :pir-laugh:

"Outgunned and outmaneuvered, Bayonnaise rammed HMS Ambuscade and proceeded to board and captured the British frigate. This was seen as a great victory by the French government, and many paintings were made in honour of this naval success."

And then, It, was outgunned by the HMS Victory on 28 May 1803, So, The french shouldn't have celebrated too much! Just a few years before the final humiliation of the French Navy! :pir_laugh2:

I like it! But why is there a Green explosion from the deck?

Read this Joey

Obviously the green bush is just a place holder. Once I get my hands on the PoP sets, I'll be replacing it with a dark tan bush.

The green bush will be tan when he gets PoP sets

Captain Becker

Read this Joey

The green bush will be tan when he gets PoP sets

Captain Becker

But aren't explosions like...Red/Orange?

But aren't explosions like...Red/Orange?

The brown bush is intended to represent the wood splintering and flying everywhere.

This is looking really good, you have a good chance at winning so far :pir-classic:

Edited by Ratshot

The brown bush is intended to represent the wood splintering and flying everywhere.

This is looking really good, you have a good chance at winning so far :pir-classic:

Yes i meaned that :pir-classic:

Under the deck of HMS Ambuscade. Obviously the green bush is just a place holder. Once I get my hands on the PoP sets, I'll be replacing it with a dark tan bush.

IMG_3980.jpg

whats the white thing in the guy on the grounds mouth

makes him look scary