book discuss kindle reading

• Please log in to reply
459 replies to this topic

#351 def

def

• White Reggaeist

Member: 4268

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

Halfway through "Why the West Rules--for Now: The Patterns of History, and What They Reveal About the Future" by Ian Morris.
Why is English the world's second language?  Why did Europe dominate over Asia for the last few hundred years?  What are the chances that this trend will continue?

Interesting stuff.  Really interesting.  The world we live in is interesting.

Did I review your Academy review and you've waited more than three days for a follow up after you fixed it?  PM me.  I'll get it done.

I am a Satanist and not ashamed.

My Facebook! My Tumblr My Book!

#352 Sisco

Sisco

• Golden Amusement Park

Member: 8341

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

50 Psychology Ideas You Really Need to Know. Very interesting reading for a soon-to-be Psychology major.  I already knew about thirty out of fifty ideas detailed in the book, but there was a lot more information on those, as well as twenty others I didn't know about.  I'd definitely recommend it if you have any interest in Psychology.
Heroica Stats
Won as the Sithy Sith Ili Seosty in K-Nut's and MB's Jedi Temple Mafia.
Won as the Dark One Craig Otoko In Def's The Coming Darkness.
Won
as the only survivor (loyal) Amy Leeds in Village of the Bloody Damned.
Died as Einherjar Sigrid in TinyPie's Ragnarok Now Redux.
Died as Servant of Loki Sigmund in TinyPies' Ragnarok Now Mafia.
Died as Loyal Townie happy-go-lucky firefighter Craig Boy in Eurodina Mafia.
Died loyal in PoP Mafia Game.
Died as Alex Jordan in Bob's Suburbia.
Survived 'till the end but still mourns his wife, Valerie as Ralph Jenkins in Red Scare Mystery.
Wanna know more about me? Check out my Profile!

#353 Larrynautik

Larrynautik

Member: 18122

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

I'm reading The Journeyer, by Gary Jennings, a historical novel about the life of Marco Polo. I am at his first travel, as a young boy, on his father's ship, from Venice to Acre (Israël). The novel is full of interesting details about the cities seen and the context of medieval Venice and Acre, but also has some "special" parts that could shock some puritans. However, most of the book is really interesting and you learn a lot of other things about this adventure.

#354 Peanuts

Peanuts

• Pudgy

Member: 9384

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

I recently finished Metro 2033, and am now about to start with Metro 2034. I can really recommend Metro 2033, it's one of the best books I've ever read. It's mood is rather dark at some points, especially towards the end, but it's definitely worth reading :thumbup:

Posted Image
I'm playing as Patrick Nash, Nuclear Engineer, in jamesn's and Tammo's Red Menace Mafia
Henry Sicariul, Level Eight Rogue
22 Years old Male Human
Power: 17 Health: 15/15 (14+1) Gold: 0
Inventory: Rapier of Sem (WP 9), 2 Potions, Bedroll, Vial of Poison, Telescope, Fire Bomb, Smelling Salts

#355 Multiverse

Multiverse

Member: 17443

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

View PostSisco, on 27 July 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

50 Psychology Ideas You Really Need to Know. Very interesting reading for a soon-to-be Psychology major.  I already knew about thirty out of fifty ideas detailed in the book, but there was a lot more information on those, as well as twenty others I didn't know about.  I'd definitely recommend it if you have any interest in Psychology.

I'm taking Psychology classes in school next year, and while I really don't think it'll be necessary, since the class will undoubtedly teach me all I need to know to get a decent grade, I'd like to check out that book just to see what I'm getting myself into, and whether I want to get even deeper into it; so I've decided to look for that book the next time I'm in an English bookstore (which will, incidentally, be in a little less than a week!  :grin: ). So thanks for the recommendation. :classic:

#356 Sisco

Sisco

• Golden Amusement Park

Member: 8341

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

View PostMultiverse, on 02 August 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

So thanks for the recommendation. :classic:

No problem! I'd also recommend Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things.  It's written by Richard Wiseman, a researching psychologist from Britain.  The book explores the quirks of our society today, and details several social experiments Dr. Wiseman performed over the years.  These experiments range from the scientific worldwide search for the perfect joke to the psychology of lying.  Very interesting stuff, and Dr. Wiseman's witty style of writing gave me a few chuckles throughout the book. Posted Image
Heroica Stats
Won as the Sithy Sith Ili Seosty in K-Nut's and MB's Jedi Temple Mafia.
Won as the Dark One Craig Otoko In Def's The Coming Darkness.
Won
as the only survivor (loyal) Amy Leeds in Village of the Bloody Damned.
Died as Einherjar Sigrid in TinyPie's Ragnarok Now Redux.
Died as Servant of Loki Sigmund in TinyPies' Ragnarok Now Mafia.
Died as Loyal Townie happy-go-lucky firefighter Craig Boy in Eurodina Mafia.
Died loyal in PoP Mafia Game.
Died as Alex Jordan in Bob's Suburbia.
Survived 'till the end but still mourns his wife, Valerie as Ralph Jenkins in Red Scare Mystery.
Wanna know more about me? Check out my Profile!

#357 Vindicare

Vindicare

Member: 12542

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:40 AM

I love Warhammer 40K Space Marine novels. Right now I'm reading a Space Wolves book, "Battle of the Fang" by Chris Wraight. So far, so good.
Clone Army-147 & counting...

#358 chard5000

chard5000

Member: 30222

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:02 AM

The Hobbit, inbetween some H.P. Lovecraft, Zombie short stories, and a backlog of Star Wars novels (why are you so awesome Rogue Squadron?)
- Don't Forget To Be Awesome.

#359 Groovemeister

Groovemeister

Member: 30237

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

I picked up the Lord of the Rings the other day for the first time in 7 or so years. Figured it was about time I got whisked off on a fantastic adventure; university made me hate reading a little bit, so it feels good to be totally engrossed by a book again.
The soup of the day is whisky

#360 Young Leo

Young Leo

Member: 29250

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

The Union Club Mysteries by Isaac Asimov. After that, it'll be a reread of The Positronic Man.
Beneath the gold, the bitter steel.

#361 Multiverse

Multiverse

Member: 17443

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

I was reading How To Teach Quantum Physics To Your Dog (by Chad Orzel), but I'm taking a break from that in order to delve into the books I received from Amazon yesterday: The Ruby In The Smoke (by Philip Pullman), 50 Psychology Ideas You Really Need To Know (which, credit where credit's due, I only knew about because of Sisco's recommendation a few posts ago) and 50 Physics Ideas You Really Need To Know, in the same series.

#362 Bilbo Baggins

Bilbo Baggins

Member: 28477

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:26 AM

I just started reading the Demigod Diaries by Rick Riordan, it has been great so far.

#363 Calanon

Calanon

• Rat Fail

Member: 7327

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

I just started reading A Storm of Swords. I really like the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

"No. What I'm saying is that Wales should be completely removed from the planet." - Pinioncorp, 9th October 2011.

#364 Roast Penguin

Roast Penguin

Member: 31210

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

Horrible Histories. I've read over them before, but they're still good
~Remember, you can't spell 'slaughter' without 'laughter'!~

#365 Legogal

Legogal

• poet laureate

Member: 23979

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

Just finished Martin Walker's Caves of Perigord...a fascinating tale that weaves together the 17,000 year old caves of Lascaux in France with WWII Resistance fighters and modern art historians/anthropologists. His four book series about Bruno Chief of Police is also lovely based in a small French village.

If you are into Italian things, you may enjoy Donna Leon's series on Police Commissioner Brunetti. Parts are beyond hilarious, and the description of Venetian culture is superb. She has been an English lit professor in Italy for 30 years or so, and knows how to use it. Fun! Great background for visiting Venice. Cheers!

#366 kibosh

kibosh

Member: 17620

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

Just finished up Vol. 5 of The Walking Dead trade paperbacks.  Fantastic series.
Check out my LEGO blog at All About The Bricks!

#367 Lightning Dragon

Lightning Dragon

Member: 29400

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

I am rereading the Hobbit and reading the Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan (I decided to read it because my brother is always talking about how cool and funny it is).

Edited by Lightning Dragon, 06 September 2012 - 01:12 AM.

Eh...

#368 Young Leo

Young Leo

Member: 29250

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

Foundation and Earth by Isaac Asimov.
Beneath the gold, the bitter steel.

#369 TheDarkness

TheDarkness

Member: 3513

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:18 AM

I'm halfway through A Dance With Dragons.
Looking forward to seeing how the series concludes, but I don't think this novel nor the last have been as impressive as their predecessors.

#370 Larrynautik

Larrynautik

Member: 18122

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:09 PM

I'm reading Vestiges, by Laurence Sunher (Switzerland), a science-fiction novel that takes place on a ice planet called Gemma. It's quite interesting, despite some problems of meaning in the text (I think it's a new writer).

I also secretly read Twilight at work :blush: (and I am a man  :laugh: )

#371 Sir_Basil_Ashton

Sir_Basil_Ashton

Member: 23619

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:18 AM

I'm 152 pages into DARK LORD, The Rise of Darth Vader and it has kept me interested up to this point. This is the 1st Star Wars novel I've read in approximately 13 years.

#372 Aanchir

Aanchir

• Color Encyclopedia

Member: 8841

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

Recently picked up three LEGO-related books: Hero Factory Secret Mission #1: The Doom Box, Ninjago Graphic Novel #3: Rise of the Serpentine, and Ninjago Graphic Novel #4: Tomb of the Fangpyre.

The Hero Factory chapter book was good, really fleshing out the universe established in the TV series with good characterization, a suspenseful plot, and lots of imaginative characters and settings. The Ninjago graphic novels were also good, although Tomb of the Fangpyre is a bit odd in terms of figuring out where it fits in the story. Presumably it takes place after all the Serpentine tribes are unleashed and Lloyd has joined the group, but the way the story is told Lloyd seems to join the Ninja within this story, which if true would contradict the television series. I believe these comics are the same ones featured in the Ninjago magazine published in Germany.

#373 harakiri

harakiri

Member: 14936

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

reading the last Rachel Morgan book by Kim Harrison
After that I really need to find something different without magic involved.
Maybe some hard SF for recreational purposes

#374 kibosh

kibosh

Member: 17620

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

I really should re-read The Hobbit before December.

Just getting ready to start IMAGINE: How Creativity Works by Jonah Lehrer.
Check out my LEGO blog at All About The Bricks!

#375 RaincloudDustbin

RaincloudDustbin

Member: 25368

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

I'm reading the 5th Skulduggery Pleasant book, Kingdom of the Wicked by Derek Landy
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/91926269@N06/

Please click on my YouTube channel for great videos based on LEGO and comics. Subscribers greatly appreciated: http://www.youtube.c...ser/ComicBricks

Posted Image  Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: book, discuss, kindle, reading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users