What are you reading?

book discuss kindle reading

459 replies to this topic

#1 Speedy

Speedy

• White Reggaeist

Member: 4268

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

<I looked a few pages in and saw nothing similar, but we can merge this if there's a similar thread.  Post a link and I'll humbly apologize>

I finished Ender in Exile today, the ninth Orson Scott Card novel in the 'Ender-verse' that I've read in two years.  Though they definitely suffer diminishing returns, I've been engrossed in them for a while.  They are really strangely paced and conceived, the farther they get from the original, Ender's Game, and Card's religion (Mormonism) starts infiltrating the books little by little, which is fair enough as religion will exist in the distant future.

And just two weeks ago, I finished the super-excellent Guns, Germs, and Steel, Jared Diamond's engrossing argument that history can be studied scientifically, that individual human societies aren't really superior over one another so much as they developed in more rewarding areas of Earth, where they can develop immunities, share crops, develop trade, and much much more.  A science theory book that is written very much in layman's terms, and a great read for anyone who likes the complexity and trajectory of human culture.

One other book, I've got about 40 pages left of, is Emissaries of the Dead, a sci-fi novel that won the Philip K. Dick award last year.  I've been a little bit more into genre work in the last year or two, since I bought Ender's Game, but I don't know that I love this.  It seems like a pulp detective novel meshed with extreme sci-fi.  The story is a murder mystery set in a moon-sized, hollow, cylindrical space station run by an independent AI intelligence that has created an eco-system for some vague scientific study, and the humans there are a sort of diplomatic study team.  Interesting ideas, but I don't know if the plot pulls its own weight.

Next, I'm starting on a Christmas gift I got, Steven Pinker's The Stuff of Thought, which is about how the brain structures and uses language to communicate ideas.  Since I teach language for a living, and still am working on my second language, hopefully this is interesting.

I know the community here leans toward genre stuff which is not my specialty, but I like hearing that people read those things, you know, books  :wink:

I am a Satanist and not ashamed.

My Facebook! My Tumblr

#2 PerryDaPirate

PerryDaPirate

Member: 8432

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:02 PM

I'm currently re-reading the Hobbit for the third time.
-Perry-

Only fools read signatures.

#3 Ricecracker

Ricecracker

• Stormed Out

Member: 2221

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

I just finished reading Scar Tissue, Anthony Kiedis' biography. It was a pretty interesting read - I learned a lot about him and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

#4 FinalFeature

FinalFeature

Member: 9792

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:53 PM

I am currently reading the second book of Lord of the Rings.

#5 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:23 PM

I just read The Color of Water for school,, and it's a pretty cool book. :thumbup:

BTW, there's already a book topic here :classic:

#6 Speedy

Speedy

• White Reggaeist

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:27 PM

View Postprateek, on Apr 23 2010, 05:23 AM, said:

BTW, there's already a book topic here :classic:
Not the same at all, since that is looking for short online fiction.  You'll get no apologies from me for that page  :wink:

My Facebook! My Tumblr

#7 Peppermint_M

Peppermint_M

• Grumpy moo

Member: 4757

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:32 PM

:tongue:

I am reading Aliens in Space, from the Galactic Encounters series. I am also reading Riddle of the Beast, a DC comics elseworld book. I have Lireal on the go too. And a Thursday Next book.

I read a lot, along with a lot of books.

If there was no such thing as science; you'd be right.

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

Tesni Hightribe

#8 General Redwater

General Redwater

• Captain Blue Hair urgently needs to change pants!

Member: 9843

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:02 AM

I really like historical fiction books.  I just finished reading Johnny Tremain, and am currently reading Mutiny on the HMS Bounty.
Thank you Joey Lock for my smilies.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks Jebediahs!
Join The Brick Hope!

"We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender and even if, which I do not for the moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, will carry on the struggle until in God's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old."
- Prime Minister Winston Churchill (after the fall of France)

#9 Brick & Mortimer

Brick & Mortimer

Member: 8205

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:41 AM

Currently reading The Name of the Rose

I only saw the movie and it was on my "to-read-list" for a long time.

I'm halfway through, and I must say I really like it, and  :thumbup: to the guys who adapted it to a moviescript without losing essential storylines and yet not cutting out too much :classic:
Facebook is like jail, you sit around and waste time, write on walls, and get poked by people you don't know.
======================================
-So why did you two go your separate ways? * I'm a pain in the @ss to work with. -No, seriously. * You mean I'm NOT a pain in the @ss to work with.

#10 Davey

Davey

• Dry Humper

Member: 6272

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:49 PM

View PostRicecracker, on Apr 22 2010, 03:45 PM, said:

I just finished reading Scar Tissue, Anthony Kiedis' biography. It was a pretty interesting read - I learned a lot about him and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Have you read "The Dirt" or "The Heroin Diaries"?  Both good bios on The Crue.   :devil:  Rock'n'roll is all just hookers and blow.   :tongue:  

-Davey
My Setlist // Dave's MOCPage // Stacy's MOCPage // ToT-LUG Photostream // Brickshelf Gallery // Our Blog

============================================================

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

============================================================

"What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the Republic has become the very evil we have been fighting to destroy?"

"And you don't want to be here in the future...so you say the present is just a pleasant...interruption to the past."

#11 Speedy

Speedy

• White Reggaeist

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:07 PM

View PostBrick & Mortimer, on Apr 23 2010, 07:41 PM, said:

Currently reading The Name of the Rose

I only saw the movie and it was on my "to-read-list" for a long time.

I'm halfway through, and I must say I really like it, and  :thumbup: to the guys who adapted it to a moviescript without losing essential storylines and yet not cutting out too much :classic:
I'd really like to read that.  I bought that and Foucault's Pendulum at a book sale, but read Pendulum first, last fall.  Really layered, I'm looking forward to getting into Rose in the future some time.  I've seen the movie for it, so I know the gist.

My Facebook! My Tumblr

#12 Professor Flitwick

Professor Flitwick

• F@$*wit Ferret

Member: 1318

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:36 PM

I'm currently in the middle of reading Stephen Kings Firestarter. Really good so far, recommended to anyone who isn't afraid of overly-described deaths.

I'm Agnostic and ambivalent about it.

Posted Image

#13 Dunjohn

Dunjohn

• EB Boardgames Reviewer

Member: 7364

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:23 AM

I'm wondering if I should read the Arther C. Clarke book Garden of Rama. Apparently it's the third in the Rama series but I don't own the first two. This one was recently rediscovered in the bottom of a drawer. I'll probably play it safe and reread Karen Miller's Hekat trilogy instead, I just got part 3 and it's a year since I finished part 2, I forget everything. Just finished Philip K. Dick's Time Out of Joint.
On the stalls on market day,
You might hear little voices say....

Collectable Minifigures Trading List

#14 Tereglith

Tereglith

• My toothbrush plays the SW theme.

Member: 7783

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:06 AM

I've been re-reading all sorts of classic fantasy for the past few months (interspersed with quite a few new books as well) - I re-finished all five Prydain books recently and I'm right in the middle of The Two Towers now. I'm also reading Daniel Pink's Drive, a very interesting non-fiction book about what really motivates people, and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, which is exactly what it sounds like, but twice as amazing as you think it's going to be.

Check out my 10188-Death-Star-Scale ships!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#15 Ricecracker

Ricecracker

• Stormed Out

Member: 2221

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:10 AM

View PostDavey, on Apr 23 2010, 07:49 AM, said:

Have you read "The Dirt" or "The Heroin Diaries"?  Both good bios on The Crue.   :devil:  Rock'n'roll is all just hookers and blow.   :tongue:  

-Davey
I can't say I have. I'll look into them. :wink:

#16 The Legonater

The Legonater

• Can NOT Ctrl + Alt + Delete the Past

Member: 8515

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:37 PM

I am currently reading Legacy of the Force: Revalation. (I told you it would only take a few months :wink: )

Memory is the Key

A Christian and not ashamed.

Posted Image
Dyric Rone, Assassin of the Light

Level 28 1/3 Assassin

Theodor Legion, 73 year old ex-Bonaparte in Cruel Angel's Thesis

#17 dragonboy79

dragonboy79

Member: 1782

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:00 AM

I'm currently reading The Sorceress, from the series The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel. :thumbup:

#18 ComputerBug

ComputerBug

Member: 4202

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:08 PM

I finished SPHERE not that long ago and now I have started reading Jarassic park! A very good book very fast-paced and discriptive. :cry_happy:

#19 Dreamweb

Dreamweb

• Thanks for your contributions!

Member: 396

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:37 AM

Stephen King's "Under The Dome".

It's pretty funny cause I used to read lots of his books once, but after a few years I felt sort of tired of them so I decided to take a break. I'm enjoying this novel a lot and already plan on reading a few others so I guess the break is over.

#20 Ronan Dragonov

Ronan Dragonov

Member: 1291

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:51 AM

I just finished Jack D. Hunter's The Blue Max (and devoured half of its sequel The Blood Order today.) The 1966 film based on it really took the story in another direction. As written Bruno Stachel, for all his faults, isn't the purely malevolent villain seen in the film.

#21 Speedy

Speedy

• White Reggaeist

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

I finished Steven Pinker's the Stuff of Thought this week.  

Posted Image

It was really interesting, about the way humans construct language.  It explains how humans organize nouns and verbs, how people use metaphor to explain complicated concepts, why humans swear with the words they do, and proposes to explain why humans use indirect questions to people rather than make solid demands (pass the salt vs. I'd appreciate it if you could pass the salt).  To top it off, the book is written in real language as opposed to academic language, making it a smooth read.  A recommended book to anyone puzzled by human society.

Next on my book pile is Wolf Hall, a historical fiction book that's had a good reputation for the last year or so.

My Facebook! My Tumblr

#22 M'Kyuun

M'Kyuun

Member: 379

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:01 AM

That sounds interesting...language in all of its incarnations and subtlties is fascinating to me.

I'm currently reading Piers Anthony's "Bearing an Hourglass", book 2 in his Incarnations of Immortality series. The main character assumes the office of Chronos, or Time. I'm not a big fan of fantasy, but I was given "On a Pale Horse", the first book of the series, and I was so impressed with his style and wit, I figured i'd give another book in the series a read. So far, glad I did.

#23 -zenn

-zenn

• Hoverbikes+Cycles+Hot Rods Expert

Member: 10143

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

Neuromancer by William Gibson
Posted Image

#24 Sisco

Sisco

• Golden Amusement Park

Member: 8341

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

The Twilight Saga.  Yes, the sparkly vampires.  My friend-that-happens-to-be-a-girl pressured me into it, even though I HATE vampires.  I'm on Eclipse.  They're not as bad as people make them out to be, but it's still a little hard to swallow.

Edited by cralegoboy, 10 May 2010 - 01:36 PM.

Heroica Stats
Currently Playing as Sigrid in TinyPie's Ragnarok Now Redux.
Won as the Sithy Sith Ili Seosty in K-Nut's and MB's Jedi Temple Mafia.
Won as the Dark One Craig Otoko In Def's The Coming Darkness.
Won
as the only survivor (loyal) Amy Leeds in Village of the Bloody Damned.
Died as Servant of Loki Sigmund in TinyPies' Ragnarok Now Mafia.
Died as Loyal Townie happy-go-lucky firefighter Craig Boy in Eurodina Mafia.
Died loyal in PoP Mafia Game.
Died as Alex Jordan in Bob's Suburbia.
Survived 'till the end but still mourns his wife, Valerie as Ralph Jenkins in Red Scare Mystery.
Wanna know more about me? Check out my Profile!

#25 Quarryman

Quarryman

• Pretty Princess in his Carriage

Member: 1620

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

Some 300 pages into The Neutronium Alchemist by Peter F. Hamilton, part 2 of the Night's Dawn trilogy (which in total is something like 3700 pages long). Good, solid, well imagined sci-fi, I'm enjoying it a lot.

Before that I read Iorich by Steven Brust, Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett, and The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: book, discuss, kindle, reading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users