The Battle of Culloden

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic  – Started by Francis Dampierre , Apr 20 2010 05:24 AM

#1 Francis Dampierre

Francis Dampierre
  • The Two Francises

Member: 12351

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:24 AM

Ahoy all! After some pretty bad entry attempts at the most recent JRC contest, I wasn't sure if I could knock out a contest-worthy MOC that I could feel proud of. So when I heard of the Bayonets at Dawn contest, I saw a chance at redemption...and a sudden inspiration. Ever since I read Robert Louis Stevenson's Kidnapped, the Jacobite rebellion in the highlands of Scotland has fascinated me, characterized best (in my opinion) by the daredevil Alan Breck.  :pir_laugh2:

So, in honor of this well-written book, I have decided to "legofy" the Battle of Culloden, the last defiant stand of the Jacobite rebellion east of Inverness. Rather than directly copy a portrait of the battle, which I have a poor parts selection for, I decided to depict a small skirmish of Jacobite forces attacking a British artillery crew. Without further ado, here it is:

Posted Image
An overview of the skirmish.

Posted Image
Here, we see from behind the British line. The artillery crew has just lobbed off a shot and is preparing to reload under orders of the gun captain.

Posted Image
Now from the Jacobite party. I haven't found any good "kilt" decals for the highlanders, does anyone know where to find them?  :pir-sceptic: An interesting bit of trivia: the Highlander tactics (as they were armed only with broadswords and bucklers) were to hit the dirt at the first volley of musket-shot, strip off their heavy kilts, and charge the British line while shouting and bellowing. I decided to keep the MOC PG-rated and let them keep the kilts :pir-wink: .

Posted Image
A closeup of the cannon. Sorry for the bad resolution, I'll use a better camera when I enter the final draft. Perhaps I should extend the shot cloud, or make it arc over? Comments/criticism are welcome! :pir-blush: Note the terrified jacobite who narrowly missed a rather messy demise.

Posted Image
One of the Jacobites leaps on a Redcoat with his broadsword raised. Again, my apologies for the bad resolution.

A link to the Brickshelf Gallery: Click Here

The wikipedia article (Be sure to check out the uniforms and battle map!): Battle of Culloden

Please comment and criticize away, I want honest opinions on the battle. Thanks! :jollyroger:

Edited by Francis LeBaron, 20 April 2010 - 11:17 PM.

#2 Etzel

Etzel
  • Me Want Ducky!!!!

Member: 2625

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:01 AM

Nice job, Francis LeBaron!
I think you captured the battlefield quite well with people running in every direction and good expressions of the minifigs. However, I think you need to find a way to make your MOC stand out a little more, it's not much more than a baseplate with plants and minifigs now. I don't know much about this battle but I read on the wiki site that it took place on a moor, maybe you should add some brown and dark tan plates to the ground to make it more authentic?

View PostFrancis LeBaron, on Apr 20 2010, 06:24 AM, said:

Now from the Jacobite party. I haven't found any good "kilt" decals for the highlanders, does anyone know where to find them?  :pir-sceptic: An interesting bit of trivia: the Highlander tactics (as they were armed only with broadswords and bucklers) were to hit the dirt at the first volley of musket-shot, strip off their heavy kilts, and charge the British line while shouting and bellowing. I decided to keep the MOC PG-rated and let them keep the kilts :pir-wink: .
That's a really funny fact!  :pir_laugh2:  I think you should use it to make your MOC more unique by giving the Jacobites yellow legs. After all, it's just LEGO, no one will get offended by that.

#3 mgleslie

mgleslie

Member: 9702

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

View PostFrancis LeBaron, on Apr 20 2010, 06:24 AM, said:

the Jacobite rebellion in the highlands of England and Ireland has fascinated me...

That would be Highlands of SCOTLAND not England.

#4 Francis Dampierre

Francis Dampierre
  • The Two Francises

Member: 12351

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:18 PM

View Postmgleslie, on Apr 20 2010, 08:44 AM, said:

That would be Highlands of SCOTLAND not England.

Thanks for the tip, I was half-asleep when I wrote this  :pir_wacko: .

#5 General Redwater

General Redwater
  • Captain Blue Hair urgently needs to change pants!

Member: 9843

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:33 PM

Very nice WIP! :pir-classic:   I was just wondering, why are the jacobites all wearing blue bandanas?

-
General Redwater

Edited by General Redwater, 20 April 2010 - 11:34 PM.

Thank you Joey Lock for my smilies.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks Jebediahs!
Join The Brick Hope!

"We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender and even if, which I do not for the moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, will carry on the struggle until in God's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old."
- Prime Minister Winston Churchill (after the fall of France)

#6 lt.Gonville brickhead

lt.Gonville brickhead

Member: 10353

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:23 PM

I really like the firng cannon
overall its cool
Posted Image

For the glory of the british empire
what empire
there is none                                  
sombody should tell them

Theres nothing wrong with me theres just something
not right that makes me better

#7 Commodore Hornbricker

Commodore Hornbricker
  • Cyborg Chef Splatter

Member: 5169

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:51 PM

Very nice point blank cannon shot to the face.  Looks great!
Posted Image Sail on over to the Port of Brick Royal
"I am not having him flogged for fighting, Mr. Gerard." - Horatio Hornblower

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links