Sign in to follow this  
Hobbes

KAAABOOOM!!! The Battle of Gettysburg

Is it just me or do more and more Civil War MOCs/WIPs show up on Brickshelf lately?

Anyhoo, here's another one, the famous battle of Gettysburg. It's not that big a MOC, rather looks like a WIP.

Seems it is a scene of the first encounter between Union's General Buford and Confederate General Heth, just outside of Gettysburg. I'm guessing, but that was the only encounter where the town provided the scenery, the other battles were outside the town on more or less open fields (anybody more historically adept pls correct me):

3_battle2.jpg_thumb.jpg

(clickable thumb)

SWEET!

The assault by the Confederates on the Union position in front of the Seminary on the first day. If you're trying to carry off a brick representation of the battle, that's a damn fine place to start...and recognizable as well. Even has the fence and everything nuts.GIF

Can't wait for this guy to do some more :wub:

Buford was the name of the bad dude in Back to the Future III too... I'm half asleep at the moment so I'll provide better feedback after I've had sufficient rest...

That's really cute! *wub*

I also think that this might be a WIP. And When it really is, I hope we will see the finished work! ;-)

So many accronyms for so many slack arses in existence...

Why is this a suspected WIP? There seems sufficient mini-figures for its size, anymore and it would be in danger of looking over crowded.

Aside, from adding more mini-figures, what else does this MOC need in regards to improving its apperance? I'm getting the impression this isn't a work in progress because it hasn't really progressed the whole time this thread has existed!

IMHO it looks great and really doesnt need anything more. Whoever made this gets a thumbs up! Nice details everything is great.

The concept is good but I can't help but feel that the execution is a little weak...

God Bless,

Nathan

How do you think the execution could be improved Mr Norro? Or what would it take to bring the execution to your liking?

How do you think the execution could be improved Mr Norro? Or what would it take to bring the execution to your liking?

I have to agree with Norro, they armies are too close to eachother.. Also, many minifigs lack headgear or hair. Its not like its skinhead wars.

Still, a good idea. Some of the torso choices for Confederates are well chosen. I see why its WIP though. ;-)

The building is not that great, the scenery is almost completely confined to baseplate level and there is a high percentage of left handed badly posed (in my opinion) gunmen...

Nathan

Its a wonder The Brickster hasn't commented in this thread yet because it seems like a very Bricksterish thread. Is he not aware that this thread exists or is he intentionally not posting in it. But why wouldn't he? This is very curious indeed...

Anyway, I'd be interested to read some input from The Brickster on this thread...

This is a nice battle scene.

The only thing I really don't like is how the figs are posed, holding their guns in an ackward way.

It looks unnatural to me.

I wish I had large numbers of those figs, I would love to do a "Siege of Petersburg" Moc.

I just wanted to let you know how much I like your battle scene.I'm an avid civil war fan and I always wanted to make a civil war scene.Thanks to your scene I finally realized I don't need western soldiers.Thanks for a great creation. P.S. expect my own creations soon.

Ah! I just want to inform you Mister Hobbes did not create this lovely creation.

Its a wonder The Brickster hasn't commented in this thread yet because it seems like a very Bricksterish thread. Is he not aware that this thread exists or is he intentionally not posting in it. But why wouldn't he? This is very curious indeed...

Anyway, I'd be interested to read some input from The Brickster on this thread...

Wow, I did miss this. I actually saw the name and thought it was an old post, so didn't bother checking it out.

Since you've called it "Brickster-ish", I must comment.

First and foremost, it's a nice battle scene with a lot of action. I enjoy any MOC that includes Confederate troops; not because I'm a fan of the South, but rather because Lego did not provide any Confederate troops in their sets. These troops spark my interest.

Interesting to have combined the tan desert baseplate with the grass baseplate. It actually works pretty well. I like the tan baseplate from the Indian sets - but green is definately needed for this famous battle scene.

I like the variety of the Union troops. Not all the torsos appear to be traditional WW Union soldiers. If I'm incorrect; however, it's hard to see from the image. In regard to the Confederate troops, I prefer grey hats, but I can see why brown was used probably due to a shortage of grey caps.

I think the MOC is missing some flags. All the images of the Battle of Gettysburg that I can recall had troops carrying flags. In addition, I'm not real fond of the structure on the hill (I'm guessing this is Meade's HQ but perhaps it may be something else). In any case, it looks a bit square. The hill; however, looks nice.

Other items that catch my interest is the Union soldier in the river (neat), the dividing line fences, and the soldiers loading the cannons - all nicely done.

Overall, I think this is a nicely done MOC with a lot of action depicted in this scene. Great job!