Jump to content


MOCs - a collection of...


25 replies to this topic

#1 Superkalle

Superkalle

    Posts: 5590
    Joined: 21-December 08
    Member: 4755
    Country: Sweden

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:23 PM

Posted Image
Here are a few of my MOCs. Designed in LDD - built in ABS.

Disney Time
Donald Duck & Co. I just love challenge of getting a look or expression with just a few pieces. I’m particularly happy with Goofy’s look.
Posted Image

Posted Image


R2D2 & C3PO
Well, nothing much to say. C3PO isn’t so good, but was the best I could do considering the scale. Special thanks to Ras74 for lending me a few of the pieces.
Posted Image

Posted Image



Stena Bulk Ship
Stena P-Max. A Stena Bulk ship in the P-series. http://www.stenabulk...-concept/P-MAX/
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image


Stena Ferry
Stena Jutlandia. On traffic between Fredrikshavn, Denmark and Göteborg, Sweden. http://www.ship-tech...images/jut1.jpg
Posted Image

Posted Image


Radial Engine
Volvo Aero MY Radial Engine / Bristol Pegasus – License manufactured from Bristol Ltd starting 1936. Used in Fairly Swordfish among other planes. The propeller is a Volvo Aero propeller from 1941. The engine is built to scale with one exception, the original had 9 cylinders, which turned out to be to much of a challenge to do in Lego, so I cheated a bit and settled for 8.
Posted Image

Posted Image


Mack Cruiseliner 1975
4-stud wide 1975 Mack Cruiseliner in two different colors schemes. Oh yes, the inverted cheese slopes are built with legal building technique. It took me a while to figure it out. Others have probably done it before me, but it always a reward to figure things out for yourself.
Posted Image


Volvo Historic Vehicles
Volvos first truck, the LV72 from 1932 and first bus LV70B from 1932
Posted Image


Lego color chart
Don’t know if this classifies as a MOC, but here it is. It was a lot of work with all the tiny stickers, but I think it was worth it in the end.

Luxury Yacht
Lazzara LSX75 with Quad Volvo Penta IPS 600 Engine installation. Built to scale. The original has a price tag of around 4 Million dollars. Lego is cheaper. :classic:
http://www.powerandm...ra-lsx-quad-75/

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Moose
My contribution to the EB 2010 event.
Posted Image


7628 MOD
Some small changes that I think make the DC3 much more realistic.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Rufus, 02 July 2011 - 11:59 AM.
Indexed

Eurobricks Digital Design Forum - for all your LDD and Ldraw cravings

#2 samuraiturtle

samuraiturtle

    Posts: 669
    Joined: 15-January 10
    Member: 9090
    Country: USA

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:42 PM

View Postsuperkalle, on Apr 16 2010, 06:23 PM, said:

Disney Time
Donald Duck & Co. I just love challenge of getting a look or expression with just a few pieces. I’m particularly happy with Goofy’s look.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Who is the guy at the end next to Scrooge McDuck?  

And the color chart might be more useful in the appropriate thread.

#3 prateek

prateek

  • Study hard!


    Posts: 10405
    Joined: 09-July 05
    Member: 426
    Country: Canada

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:47 PM

View Postsamuraiturtle, on Apr 16 2010, 04:42 PM, said:

Who is the guy at the end next to Scrooge McDuck?  

And the color chart might be more useful in the appropriate thread.
Goofy.

These are awesome MOCs, especially all those ships :thumbup:

#4 Superkalle

Superkalle

    Posts: 5590
    Joined: 21-December 08
    Member: 4755
    Country: Sweden

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:48 PM

It's one of the Beagle Boys http://en.wikipedia....iki/Beagle_Boys

EDIT: which is the approriate thread for the color chart?

Edited by superkalle, 16 April 2010 - 10:50 PM.

Eurobricks Digital Design Forum - for all your LDD and Ldraw cravings

#5 KimT

KimT

  • Retired Backdoor Sneaky Sith


    Posts: 14078
    Joined: 11-November 04
    Member: 101
    Country: Denmark

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:27 AM

Posted Image

Why does C3P0 remind me of Bender? :laugh:
When in doubt on how to do things - Check the Tutorial Index
Star Wars Forum Pool on flickr

"Onwards Men! Victory IS at hand" - Famous last words
"How can this possibly go wrong?" -Also Famous last words


Posted Image


#6 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

  • Doing the Chicken Dance


    Posts: 19257
    Joined: 28-October 09
    Member: 7997
    Country: Australia

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:03 AM

Excellent MOC's - great C3-PO and R2 plus sweet vehicles and boats !
AWESOME work in general 'superkalle'  and keep on bricking ! :sweet:

#7 Superkalle

Superkalle

    Posts: 5590
    Joined: 21-December 08
    Member: 4755
    Country: Sweden

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:06 AM

View PostKimT, on Apr 17 2010, 10:27 AM, said:

Why does C3P0 remind me of Bender? :laugh:
Ha, ha...you're absolutly right. Didn't even think about that
Posted Image
Eurobricks Digital Design Forum - for all your LDD and Ldraw cravings

#8 Fugazi

Fugazi

  • Welcome to Eurobricks. How can I help you?


    Posts: 3928
    Joined: 08-January 10
    Member: 8966
    Country: Canada

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:27 AM

Great stuff! I especially like your small vehicle collection. Lots of interesting techniques all around!  :thumbup:
New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#9 BlueBard

BlueBard

    Posts: 2225
    Joined: 21-February 08
    Member: 2796
    Country: Spain

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:37 PM

Really impressive models, superkalle!  :cry_happy: I know it could sound weird but my favourite is, without doubt, the color chart one  :thumbup:

#10 dr_spock

dr_spock

  • Ex-News Scout scouting for new themes


    Posts: 4952
    Joined: 28-December 09
    Member: 8775
    Country: Canada

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:02 PM

Nice work.   :thumbup:    The yacht is great.

#11 Asterios

Asterios

    Posts: 203
    Joined: 12-April 10
    Member: 10245

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

That yacht would be sweet in minifig scale.

#12 samuraiturtle

samuraiturtle

    Posts: 669
    Joined: 15-January 10
    Member: 9090
    Country: USA

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:43 PM

View Postsuperkalle, on Apr 16 2010, 06:48 PM, said:

It's one of the Beagle Boys http://en.wikipedia....iki/Beagle_Boys

EDIT: which is the appropriate thread for the color chart?
I thought it might of been him or Peat(SP?).  

As for the color chart thread I am not having much luck finding it, maybe someone smarter/luckier might be able to find it.  It was the "Offical LEGO Color Chart".

#13 Fugazi

Fugazi

  • Welcome to Eurobricks. How can I help you?


    Posts: 3928
    Joined: 08-January 10
    Member: 8966
    Country: Canada

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:57 PM

View Postsuperkalle, on Apr 16 2010, 09:48 PM, said:

EDIT: which is the approriate thread for the color chart?
This one, but you're already there! (on page 3)  :grin:
New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#14 ZO6

ZO6

  • EB Adventurers Reviewer and now a Teacher


    Posts: 771
    Joined: 16-April 07
    Member: 1532
    Country: Canada

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:04 AM

All the MOCs that you've done look absolutely fantastic - they are incredibly detailed!

The mods that you've done to 4506 and 7628 are great as well.

#15 ILikePi

ILikePi

    Posts: 2105
    Joined: 29-January 09
    Member: 5159
    Country: USA

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:37 AM

I agree with everyone else; every single one of these MOCs are brilliant! The Disney characters are instantly recognizable, as with Artoo and Threepio, the bulk ship looks awesome in dark red (also, neat details on the back part!), the Volvo truck looks lovely, the color chart looks very useful (does the asterisk mean that the color is discontinued?), and that luxury yacht is amazing - you fit in so many details in a microscale vehicle! :oh:

All of the other MOCs I haven't commented on are brilliantly designed, too.

I think that you should've posted each in different topics - they're all deserving of their own. :thumbup:

Edited by ILikePi, 19 April 2010 - 05:38 AM.

Find out more about me on my WIP About Me page!
Latest LDD model: 7263 Temple Escape - Flickr - Brickshelf - My Collection (Brickset)


#16 samuraiturtle

samuraiturtle

    Posts: 669
    Joined: 15-January 10
    Member: 9090
    Country: USA

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:17 AM

View PostFugazi, on Apr 18 2010, 05:57 PM, said:

This one, but you're already there! (on page 3)  :grin:
That was the one I was talking about.  But, it looks like you already put the picture in the thread.   :blush:

#17 Superkalle

Superkalle

    Posts: 5590
    Joined: 21-December 08
    Member: 4755
    Country: Sweden

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:39 PM

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. !

I can also add that:
- All models are designed purely with Lego legal principles. i.e. only the ones allowed to the Lego designers in Billund
- I strive to make the cars and boats playable, i.e. will hold together also when my kids play with them. The challange is to get something that looks good AND is sturdy.
- I use only recently produced colors and common parts - no super rares ones.

@ samurai turtle: Yeah, the color chart had been posted before, but it was buried so deep down in another thread, I wanted to post it again in my own MOC thread.

@ ILikePi: yes, asterixes means the color is discontiuned

Edited by superkalle, 19 April 2010 - 02:09 PM.

Eurobricks Digital Design Forum - for all your LDD and Ldraw cravings

#18 Sandy

Sandy

  • It's definitely not an anagram!


    Posts: 10163
    Joined: 31-May 08
    Member: 3211
    Country: Finland

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:15 PM

Those Disney characters are superb! Donald Duck comics are a huge thing here in Finland, so everybody knows all the characters by heart, and you've really hit the nail with each of them. You're still missing Huey, Dewey and Louie out of the "main character" list, though. :wink:

~Now playing as Ellaria Arbour the Druid in Heroica RPG!~


#19 greg3

greg3

    Posts: 502
    Joined: 16-April 10
    Member: 10297

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:29 PM

Great looking MOC's... I think my favourites are the Disney characters and the ships... nice work!!

#20 SNobleJr

SNobleJr

    Posts: 48
    Joined: 01-October 07
    Member: 2025
    Country: Hungary

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:56 PM

Pretty neat collection you have here; each one is good, but I especially like those tiny little Mack trucks. :D

Speaking of the trucks... I've been trying to figure out how you attached the upside-down slopes, and although I've found a possible solution (.LXF here), I'm quite certain it's not the one you used, and it's still driving me crazy. XD I give up, man. How did you do that? :D

#21 Superkalle

Superkalle

    Posts: 5590
    Joined: 21-December 08
    Member: 4755
    Country: Sweden

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:04 PM

View PostSNobleJr, on Apr 19 2010, 09:56 PM, said:

Pretty neat collection you have here; each one is good, but I especially like those tiny little Mack trucks. :D

Speaking of the trucks... I've been trying to figure out how you attached the upside-down slopes, and although I've found a possible solution (.LXF here), I'm quite certain it's not the one you used, and it's still driving me crazy. XD I give up, man. How did you do that? :D

First, you're on the right track, that's one solution. Naturally another is not to use the "1x1 brick with vertical pin" at all, just letting the upside down pieces "float" interlocked inside the other bricks. That's a clever solution in one sense. But...it's not a Lego Legal building principle, so in my book it's not allowed. I strive to design models that Lego would say "Yes, we can put that in production - It's Lego Legal, it can withstand being played with, it can be built by a kid, it looks good and it only uses molds currently in production". Putting those constraints makes designing models much more difficult, and that's what I like.

Getting back to the Mack Truck - the problem with the solution in your LXF is that the back of the truck will look bad because the striping will be interrupted. Also, since you're using 1x4 tile, the stability will suffer. So, you need to come up with a solution that 1) allows striping all around, 2) ensures that the upside down parts are connected to the rest of the truck in some way that is Lego legal and 3) is sturdy enough. Now, the solution in your LXF IS Lego Legal, but then it was that thing with the striping :wink:. There are at least three other solutions. Keep trying and let's keep in touch.
Eurobricks Digital Design Forum - for all your LDD and Ldraw cravings

#22 SNobleJr

SNobleJr

    Posts: 48
    Joined: 01-October 07
    Member: 2025
    Country: Hungary

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:29 PM

View Postsuperkalle, on Apr 19 2010, 11:04 PM, said:

First, you're on the right track, that's one solution. Naturally another is not to use the "1x1 brick with vertical pin" at all, just letting the upside down pieces "float" interlocked inside the other bricks. That's a clever solution in one sense. But...it's not a Lego Legal building principle, so in my book it's not allowed. I strive to design models that Lego would say "Yes, we can put that in production - It's Lego Legal, it can withstand being played with, it can be built by a kid, it looks good and it only uses molds currently in production". Putting those constraints makes designing models much more difficult, and that's what I like.

Getting back to the Mack Truck - the problem with the solution in your LXF is that the back of the truck will look bad because the striping will be interrupted. Also, since you're using 1x4 tile, the stability will suffer. So, you need to come up with a solution that 1) allows striping all around, 2) ensures that the upside down parts are connected to the rest of the truck in some way that is Lego legal and 3) is sturdy enough. Now, the solution in your LXF IS Lego Legal, but then it was that thing with the striping :wink:. There are at least three other solutions. Keep trying and let's keep in touch.

Right, I've just stumbled upon another possibility, although I'm not sure if it's Lego Legal - it does solve the striping issue, though. It involves simply pinning the upside-down assembly between a 1x2 tile below (colored yellow here to help it stand out), and a 2x3 plate above (removed for better visibility). Now, this isn't technically solidly connected, but the way the whole assembly wraps halfway around the grill should help keep it fairly sturdy, I think. No idea about the remaining two solutions yet, but I'll keep thinking about them.

(P.S.: the .LXF's been updated as well.)

#23 Superkalle

Superkalle

    Posts: 5590
    Joined: 21-December 08
    Member: 4755
    Country: Sweden

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:48 PM

View PostSNobleJr, on Apr 19 2010, 11:29 PM, said:

Right, I've just stumbled upon another possibility, although I'm not sure if it's Lego Legal - it does solve the striping issue, though. It involves simply pinning the upside-down assembly between a 1x2 tile below (colored yellow here to help it stand out), and a 2x3 plate above (removed for better visibility). Now, this isn't technically solidly connected, but the way the whole assembly wraps halfway around the grill should help keep it fairly sturdy, I think. No idea about the remaining two solutions yet, but I'll keep thinking about them.

(P.S.: the .LXF's been updated as well.)

Well, yes that was the "floating" solution that I was talking about, but it's not Lego legal. And the stability will be OK, but not top notch. Look at the wheels holder plate and how it will hold up. Not good. Actually, the whole underside needs to be strenghtend to become Lego approved. So there are still at least three other ways to do it. Keep up the good work, and keep trying. If there is anyone else here at EB that wan'ts go give it a go, please do so.
Eurobricks Digital Design Forum - for all your LDD and Ldraw cravings

#24 drdavewatford

drdavewatford

  • Give him LEGO


    Posts: 550
    Joined: 29-January 09
    Member: 5149
    Country: England

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:51 AM

What a superb collection - very impressive !

I have my own version of the colour chart (also using 2 x 2 tiles, except for Maersk Blue where a 2 x 2 tile isn't available) which I use for sorting pieces; in bad light it can be pretty difficult knowing if a piece is bley/MdStone or OldGray without a reference to compare it with, for instance.

Dr. D.

Edited by drdavewatford, 20 April 2010 - 10:53 AM.

Some reviews on Gimme LEGO:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Love LEGO ? Visit my blog at http://www.gimmelego.blogspot.com

#25 SNobleJr

SNobleJr

    Posts: 48
    Joined: 01-October 07
    Member: 2025
    Country: Hungary

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:59 AM

View Postsuperkalle, on Apr 19 2010, 11:48 PM, said:

Well, yes that was the "floating" solution that I was talking about, but it's not Lego legal. And the stability will be OK, but not top notch. Look at the wheels holder plate and how it will hold up. Not good. Actually, the whole underside needs to be strenghtend to become Lego approved. So there are still at least three other ways to do it. Keep up the good work, and keep trying. If there is anyone else here at EB that wan'ts go give it a go, please do so.

Oh, I see. I though by "floating", you meant exploiting LDD's virtual nature and using a physically impossible build, literally leaving that assembly floating in mid-air. Bit of linguistic confusion here, I guess - I would have used a term like "unconnected" to describe this, and automatically assumed you would too. Should have kept in mind that assuming makes an... well, you know the rest.

Still trying to figure out the remaining methods, BTW.

EDIT: By the way, is there a listing of Lego Legal/Illegal techniques somewhere? A quick forum and Google search didn't turn up anything.

Edited by SNobleJr, 20 April 2010 - 12:20 PM.




Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users