Superkalle

Get access to all the hidden bricks in LDD

NOTE:

This information has been superseeded by the new LDD Extended Mode

This mode is available out of the box, so there is nothing you need to "activate" any longer.

====================

OLD post below...all the information below is not relevant anymore.

This is a long post, but if you interested in LDD, read to the end - it's all good stuff:

Great news for LDD users

Lego Universe Mode. Made available by Lego especially for the fan community!

LUBricks.jpg

LU Mode - More bricks and better overview

Background

As you may know, there are a lot more bricks in the LDD database installed on your computer than you could actually see in the normal DesignByMe/Mindstorm/Creator mode. All these additional bricks have actually been available for quite some time in LDD for designers of Lego Universe through something called Lego Universe Mode.

Lego Universe Mode

After a fruitful dialogue with the LDD development team at Lego, access to LU-mode is now available to all LDD fans. With LU-mode you get access to all the 1400+ bricks in LDD. LU-mode will show up as a new tab in the welcome screen.

LUModeStartScreen.jpg

New choice in start menu – LU mode

TIP: If you already have a model made in another mode and want to convert it to LU-mode, use the View > New Themes > Lego Universe

New features

There is a slightly different user interface in LU-mode with some additional tools.

LUModeTools.jpg

Three new tools in LU-mode

The new tools are:

• - Decoration tool, allows you to “paint” decoration on those bricks that will allow it.
    - Color picker tool, allows you to pick a color from any other brick in the scene (“scene” is LDD-lingo for the area on screen where you place the bricks and build your models)
    - Color palette tool – allows you to select any color. By holding the mouse pointer over a color, a sub-menu will also expand showing all the sub-colors.

LUModeColors.jpg

Mouse over to expand color palette

The new tools should be fairly intuitive to use. Please post any questions about LU-mode in this thread.

Disclaimer (very important stuff)

Please be aware that Lego takes NO responsibility whatsoever for LU-mode. Since LU-mode is NOT intended for the general public there may be flaws in the functionality and problems with incorrect brick geometry.

Lego is making LU-mode available to us LDD fans as-is. There is no support at all and you use it fully at your own risk. And naturally, bricks used in LU-mode are not possible to buy through DesignByMe or Pick-A-Brick.

How do I get access to LU-mode?

If you agree to the above disclaimer, read below how to read how to activate LU mode. Please do NOT re-post that information on the internet, on this forum or any other forum. Instead, link to this post. Thank you.

TrooperInLDD.jpg

Hey, I’m in LDD now, and I can be customised in any color.

Q & A

Q: If I activate LU-mode, will LDD still automatically update over the internet when a new version is released?

A: Yes

Q: If I design in LU-mode, will the model also open with LDD on computers that do not have LU-mode activated?

A: Yes, and you can copy bricks from models in LU-mode to LXF-files created in any other mod. Great, huh!

Q: Does Lego offer any end-user support on LU-mode?

A: Nope

Q: Are there any guarantees that bricks in LU mode will exist forever?

A: No, bricks can be added and removed by Lego from LU-mode at any time when a new LDD version is released. But the risk that a brick is removed is much, much less than when Lego changed around in the DesignByMe palette each year.

Q: Are all colors available in LU-mode?

A: Yes, both current and discontinued.

Q: Wow, with LU-mode I can make bricks any color, even in colors that haven’t been produced – like transparent tires.

A: Yes, that’s both a strength and weakness. A strength because when Lego releases a brick in a new color, it’s easy to apply it. A weakness because there is a risk that you apply a color that isn’t available and when you try to order the bricks, they don’t exist.

LDD UNIVERSE MODE ACTIVATION INSTRUCTIONS

================

Activiation For windows users

1. Close down LDD

2. Find the file preferences.ini the LEGO Digital Designer folder.

For Windows 7 and Vista it can be found here C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer\preferences.ini

For Windows XP here: C:\Documents And Settings\UserName\ApplicationData\Lego Company\Lego Digital Designer\preferences.ini

NOTE: If you can't find this folder, the read here how to make it visible

3. Open preferences.ini in a text editor and add the line: Themeaccess=LEGOUniverse

4. Save the file

5. Restart LDD and now you have access to a LEGO Universe palette

================

Activation For mac users.

1. Close down LDD

2. Find the file preferences.ini in /User/Library/Application Support/LEGO Company/LEGO Digital Designer/preferences.ini

3. Open it in a text editor and add the line: Themeaccess=LEGOUniverse

4. Save the file

5. Restart LDD and now you have access to a LEGO Universe palette

================

Edited by Superkalle

Very nice. I will have to try this at work tomorrow. :thumbup:

Are you actually the guy that we shall thank for pushing TLG to allow this Universe mode ?

I think you will find a brick that is very old in the palette. Not in production for many years.

Wow, this is totally awesome! It's full of out of production bricks and neat prints! The possibilities just went through the roof! Thanks for working this out for us, I used to consider LDD a pain because of its limitations, now it just became much more enjoyable! :sweet:

Are you actually the guy that we shall thank for pushing TLG to allow this Universe mode ?

Well, I guess I am (humble). But thanks also to Bojan, who's mod was one of the catalysts, and whom I've had great discussions with over the past weeks. Also many thanks to the entire LDD development team - absolutely great guys.

I think you will find a brick that is very old in the palette. Not in production for many years.

Yes, you're right, there's are couple of them. I guess the LU-team wanted them for some reason, don't know why.

Superkalle, u're the best :D

And please forward the thanks to the LDD development team. I'm really happy if my work had anything to do for this to come out.

Terrific work, guys! I always had faith in LEGO and their great communication with their customers and fans. LEGO has already demonstrated this many times in the past, but it's great to see that such a large company still has their customers in mind and listens to them on a personal level. :classic: There are very few companies that do that nowadays.

Finally, LEGO Digital Designer has become a useful and practical tool for designing virtual LEGO models. What a great achievement.

On a side note, does anybody think this Universe Theme build mode will be available on the next LDD release or update? Perhaps it will become standard in LDD 4.0 along with some other features we've been suggesting. Here's hoping for a bright future for LDD!

Nice, this seems really great, I'm trying it out now :classic:.

On the instructions you didn't mention about app data being a hidden folder (on windows 7 anyway), perhaps you should as some users may not be able to find it otherwise.

TrooperInLDD.jpg

Hey, I’m in LDD now, and I can be customised in any color.

Man, I am very confused. Weren't liscensed peices not in LDD? :wacko: I shouldn't have gotten rid of LDD, it's improving alot since I last saw it. What type of designs that can be put on bricks do they mean, things like water or rock, or stickers that would appear in a set? One final question: are there any new parts actually from LU?

I'm not expecting too much, though... :sceptic::cry_sad:

Edited by indianajones

On the instructions you didn't mention about app data being a hidden folder (on windows 7 anyway), perhaps you should as some users may not be able to find it otherwise.

Good tip, I'll add the info if a lot of people start asking.

Edited by superkalle

Poor Bojan, all this trouble only to be mercilessly ninja'd by the LDD team... :cry_sad: He never had a chance...

Here's to you, Bojan!

Nonetheless, muchas gracias for the bit-jockeys at LEGO! They earned their pay!

Man, I am very confused. Weren't liscensed peices not in LDD?

Don't be confused - be happy.

Just kidding - this is actually the only licenced piece in there (at least I think so, maybe we could have a contest about finding odd stuff). Anyway, I used the trooper head just to tease all the Star Wars fan here at EB :grin:

I just loaded it up for a quick look and I must say I'm EXTREMELY impressed already. Nicely done. :classic:

Awesome, but I can't seem to find any Lego Digital Designer folder, just the program itself...

This is great! Finally something for us. The only thing I dislike about this is that every part in the parts catalog [the thing on the left of the screen] is red, I know you can change them after you start building, but it makes it hard to see what is what. :thumbdown:

Good tip, I'll add the info if a lot of people start asking.

That's not quite necessary. I have hidden folders enabled on my Windows 7 system, yet the folder can easily and quickly be accessed by this great shortcut: Open Run and just type in

%APPDATA%

Simple! :classic:

Awesome, but I can't seem to find any Lego Digital Designer folder, just the program itself...

Try the advice I pointed out above and find the folder. In it should be the file.

I'll be happy to help with any other tech problems...

This is great! Finally something for us. The only thing I dislike about this is that every part in the parts catalog [the thing on the left of the screen] is red, I know you can change them after you start building, but it makes it hard to see what is what. :thumbdown:

As a response, I would have to say I completely agree with you about the colorization. Perhaps a white or gray tone would be better. However, on the other hand, I am OK with it, since it gives your building session a "WIP/preliminary design" feel with the red "prototype" bricks. (Or maybe it's just me...)

Here's a suggestion: Perhaps try building the model first and then go back and try to recolor everything? This way, you save time and you do not need to color elements that you would not see in the model anyways. :classic:

This is really cool! I'm really digging the expanded possibilities here, though I'd like more versatility with technic half pins. Most of my builds involve a half pin stuck in the bottom of a 1x1 brick, or something similar.

Like this:

4519296842_1f791c4280_m.jpg