• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Trixiepasta

Trixiepasta

• He's an actor, I swear!

Member: 8612

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:35 PM

Posted Image

Hello, I'm trying to create a MOC with Luke and ghost Ben on Hoth, but I'm having problems. I'm using the Pepper's ghost illusion to do this and found out that the area the ghost is reflected on should be a dark color, while the item being used as a ghost should be a bright color. Unfortunately, Hoth is not dark and Obi-wan doesn't seem to bright :hmpf_bad: . Does anyone have suggestions? I'm using Power functions battery box and one pair of lights(I'm a purist also, I'll use any non-broken parts made from Lego).

(I don't have any pictures, I can't find my camera, and my other one takes horrible shots)

#2 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:51 PM

You could take a long exposure picture and take the figure out before the shutter closes. For example, you could have a 10 second exposure, and at 5 seconds, quickly take out the fig to give it a translucent effect. :classic:

#3 Kaitan

Kaitan

Member: 4853

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:00 PM

I don't think you're going to get the effect you want using Hoth as a setting, for the reasons you've already stated. If however you are determined to do a ghost ben using pepper's illusion effect, why not change the location to Dagobah? Dark enough there! You might still need brighter lights than the power functions can supply, or at least another couple of them :) As a matter of interest, what are you using to reflect the image?

Kaitan

#4 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:05 PM

View Postprateek, on Apr 7 2010, 03:51 PM, said:

You could take a long exposure picture and take the figure out before the shutter closes. For example, you could have a 10 second exposure, and at 5 seconds, quickly take out the fig to give it a translucent effect. :classic:
I must agree this would be my approach, then add some blue tinting, but even without it, it gives the perfect ghost effect.

#5 smokebelch

smokebelch

• Photographic Master of Glue

Member: 5733

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:12 PM

View Postprateek, on Apr 7 2010, 10:51 PM, said:

Pretty much how I get the 'ghost' effect on my shots :wink:
Posted Image

#6 Trixiepasta

Trixiepasta

• He's an actor, I swear!

Member: 8612

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:09 AM

View PostKaitan, on Apr 7 2010, 06:00 PM, said:

I don't think you're going to get the effect you want using Hoth as a setting, for the reasons you've already stated. If however you are determined to do a ghost ben using pepper's illusion effect, why not change the location to Dagobah? Dark enough there! You might still need brighter lights than the power functions can supply, or at least another couple of them :) As a matter of interest, what are you using to reflect the image?

Kaitan
Actually, that's a great idea! Right now I'm just testing it with a 6 brick tall frame with a transparent door, but later I'll try to find some larger glass. Though I don't take photos too often, what was exposure again?

Edited by indianajones, 08 April 2010 - 12:11 AM.

#7 Ras 74

Ras 74

• Prince of PM´s

Member: 114

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:02 AM

View Postsmokebelch, on Apr 7 2010, 10:12 PM, said:

Pretty much how I get the 'ghost' effect on my shots :wink:
Posted Image
:wub:  Just such a lovely picture smokebelch!
Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Please read the
Members Guidelines and check the Tutorials Index

Brickshelf Gallery

#8 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:22 PM

View Postindianajones, on Apr 7 2010, 06:09 PM, said:

Actually, that's a great idea! Right now I'm just testing it with a 6 brick tall frame with a transparent door, but later I'll try to find some larger glass. Though I don't take photos too often, what was exposure again?
Exposure is the amount of time the shutter is open.  If you are using a Point and Shoot digital camera you might not be able to adjust this.

DSLR's have the ability to manually adjust the amount of time the shutter is open, if it's open for lets say 4 seconds, and you remove the fig after 1 second, it has 3 seconds to capture everything behind it, giving you that ghost effect.

What kind of camera are you using?

#9 Mr. Elijah Timms

Mr. Elijah Timms

Member: 9973

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:50 PM

I guess it's a pretty safe bet there's a purist mentality at play with you folks?  Personally, I'd shoot the Ben separate and just slap him in there on a separate, semi-opaque layer in Photoshop... but I certainly appreciate the dedication to the dying art of photography.

EVERYTHING IS OVERPRICED I MEAN AWESOME!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users