10 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 – Poor
    • 2 – Below Average
    • 3 – Average
    • 4 – Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

"There's traffic in the sky - And it doesn't seem to be getting much better - There's kids playing games on the pavement..." (Jack Johnson - Traffic in the sky)

Set data:

4991: Police Helicopter

Year: 2007

Theme: Town

Subtheme: Police

Pieces: 31 + 4 extras

Price: N/A

Building time: less than 5

MISB on review: Yes

More info: Brickset - Peeron - Bricklink

Notes: Available from Quick fast food restaurants in continental Europe, Sept. 2007. One of two sets included with Nov-Dec 2007 BrickMaster magazine. Set also given away free with the Daily Mirror newspaper (UK), October 2008. Promotion also in Ireland. (Brickset)

Official description: N/A

Polybag: They don't usually come with set names. But a lot of (same old) writings on the back

4991-01.jpg

4991-02.jpg

Instructions: A one and a half sized sheet, with pieces number to help you ordering replacement parts (or an activity for Lego nerds who could tell you 7-digits code for any piece ever made).

4991-03a.jpg

4991-04a.jpg

Loose pieces: If it's small, keep it simple. Black, white, grey and trans colors.

4991-03c.jpg

Minifigure: I can hardly imagine an helicopter pilot with jacket and tie.

4991-04.jpg

Sub buildings: The cockpit is unbalanced when not lying on double inverted slopes.

4991-05.jpg

Complete model: So here it is, and with a few details for such a small set!

4991-10.jpg

4991-11.jpg

The final shot: Helicopter, pilot and extra pieces.

4991-12.jpg

Review:

4900-1.jpg

Does the image above look familiar? (Pic is link to instructions).

It looks like this small fire copter was a rip-off from the police one, given that 4900 came out the following year. It looked better in Fire colors (but the cockpit did not open); this probably means Lego designers knew they could have done it better. And you can probably just re-release a promo set without anyone grumping.

Back on our 4991. At first sight, I thought it sucked. Then, the "in my hands" factor made it gain some points.

First, minifig has an uncommon head piece, and that's a big pro. And I still think he would have looked better with a different torso (the police bikers torso would have been perfect). The copter is not totally bad. A windshield that remins me of SP2, a couple of utensils can can be taken off for more action and two propellors.

These minis have always been around in Lego City/Town, much more than in real life (yes, these kind of mini-flyers do really exist). Given that Police has always had a "regular" helicopter, a mini such as this one would be great to monitor traffic, or just as an aerial support. It's the flying version of the Police motorbike; probably not that fast, but it can fly, and that's a traffic beater for sure.

Design was smart; the Technic axle has has a stop on one hand in order not to slide into the cockpit (I first built it the wrong way, I'm sometimes so busy taking pics that I build something wrong), and with such a low piece count it comes with good features.

This is a set that many may overlook, but worth giving a chance. Not the most realistc kit around, but a good compromise. If I never owned, I would have rated it only 2 out of five, but I change my mind.

Rating:

Color scheme: 5/5. Classic (or "Vintage", as Michael Cole would say) black and white Police. I wonder how would it look in white and blue.

Minifigs and accessories: 4/5. Pros: unusual head piece, a couple of accessories. Con: Jacket_and_tie torso.

Pieces: 3,5/5. A couple of propellors in a 30-pieces set. The rest is average.

Playability: 4/5. Opening cockpit, loudhailer and camera/bazooka to take off the copter and put in minifig hands, and two propellors to spin!

Design: 3/5. Good if compared to simpler 80's and 90's similar sets. But not eye-catchy to me before I bought it.

Overall rating: 3/5. On the edge of averageness.

The final words: The kind of set you can hardly love when you don't own it, but could when you do.

Thanks 'The Cobra' for this review of an average but still cute set ! :sweet:

It does have that classic town feel, with also a handy hinge to place or remove the officer/pilot.

Yeah, it does look like the firecopter too eh ? :wink:

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Nice review, The Cobra. :classic:

I own this set, but I got it, mainly for the sake of completion, other than that, this is a good to have polybag set. I rated it average too.

I wasn't even aware of this set's existence. While it's average, it's also in one particular way much better that this year's promos: a free minifig is always welcome! :wink:

Thanks for the review. This promo is better than a lot of others, but it's not the best.