Review: 4991 Police Helicopter

4 replies to this topic

Poll: On a scale 1 to 5 (10 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this set?

1. 1 – Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 – Below Average (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. 3 – Average (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. 4 – Above Average (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

5. 5 - Outstanding (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 The Cobra

The Cobra

• RA Anniversary that 'jumps' in once a year

Member: 2895

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:08 PM

Posted Image

"There's traffic in the sky - And it doesn't seem to be getting much better - There's kids playing games on the pavement..." (Jack Johnson - Traffic in the sky)

Set data:

4991: Police Helicopter
Year: 2007
Theme: Town
Subtheme: Police
Pieces: 31 + 4 extras
Price: N/A
Building time: less than 5
MISB on review: Yes
More info: Brickset - Peeron - Bricklink
Notes: Available from Quick fast food restaurants in continental Europe, Sept. 2007. One of two sets included with Nov-Dec 2007 BrickMaster magazine. Set also given away free with the Daily Mirror newspaper (UK), October 2008. Promotion also in Ireland. (Brickset)
Official description: N/A

Polybag: They don't usually come with set names. But a lot of (same old) writings on the back
Posted Image
Posted Image

Instructions: A one and a half sized sheet, with pieces number to help you ordering replacement parts (or an activity for Lego nerds who could tell you 7-digits code for any piece ever made).
Posted Image

Posted Image

Loose pieces: If it's small, keep it simple. Black, white, grey and trans colors.
Posted Image

Minifigure: I can hardly imagine an helicopter pilot with jacket and tie.
Posted Image

Sub buildings: The cockpit is unbalanced when not lying on double inverted slopes.
Posted Image

Complete model: So here it is, and with a few details for such a small set!
Posted Image
Posted Image

The final shot: Helicopter, pilot and extra pieces.
Posted Image

Review:

Posted Image

Does the image above look familiar? (Pic is link to instructions).

It looks like this small fire copter was a rip-off from the police one, given that 4900 came out the following year. It looked better in Fire colors (but the cockpit did not open); this probably means Lego designers knew they could have done it better. And you can probably just re-release a promo set without anyone grumping.

Back on our 4991. At first sight, I thought it sucked. Then, the "in my hands" factor made it gain some points.

First, minifig has an uncommon head piece, and that's a big pro. And I still think he would have looked better with a different torso (the police bikers torso would have been perfect). The copter is not totally bad. A windshield that remins me of SP2, a couple of utensils can can be taken off for more action and two propellors.

These minis have always been around in Lego City/Town, much more than in real life (yes, these kind of mini-flyers do really exist). Given that Police has always had a "regular" helicopter, a mini such as this one would be great to monitor traffic, or just as an aerial support. It's the flying version of the Police motorbike; probably not that fast, but it can fly, and that's a traffic beater for sure.

Design was smart; the Technic axle has has a stop on one hand in order not to slide into the cockpit (I first built it the wrong way, I'm sometimes so busy taking pics that I build something wrong), and with such a low piece count it comes with good features.

This is a set that many may overlook, but worth giving a chance. Not the most realistc kit around, but a good compromise. If I never owned, I would have rated it only 2 out of five, but I change my mind.

Rating:

Color scheme: 5/5. Classic (or "Vintage", as Michael Cole would say) black and white Police. I wonder how would it look in white and blue.

Minifigs and accessories: 4/5. Pros: unusual head piece, a couple of accessories. Con: Jacket_and_tie torso.

Pieces: 3,5/5. A couple of propellors in a 30-pieces set. The rest is average.

Playability: 4/5. Opening cockpit, loudhailer and camera/bazooka to take off the copter and put in minifig hands, and two propellors to spin!

Design: 3/5. Good if compared to simpler 80's and 90's similar sets. But not eye-catchy to me before I bought it.

Overall rating: 3/5. On the edge of averageness.

The final words: The kind of set you can hardly love when you don't own it, but could when you do.
Most overread phrase on S@H: "Sorry, item is not available in this country: Italy."

Quick Links: My introduction topic -  My first sets - My LDD MOCs. My Brickset: Have list - Want list. Reviews archive: see About me page.

#2 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Gungans taste like chicken

Member: 7997

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

Thanks 'The Cobra' for this review of an average but still cute set ! :sweet:
It does have that classic town feel, with also a handy hinge to place or remove the officer/pilot.
Yeah, it does look like the firecopter too eh ? :wink:
Keep on bricking ! :sweet:

#3 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Member: 2351

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:57 PM

Nice review, The Cobra.  :classic:

I own this set, but I got it, mainly for the sake of completion, other than that, this is a good to have polybag set. I rated it average too.

My BrickLink Store // Sign up for Reviewers Academy // Trains & Town Reviews // Black Knights Kingdom (EBRP) // Watch out EB News!

Click here to find out more about WhiteFang

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

My name is Wilhalm Bloodaxe and I am back to be part of the Ragnarök Now Redux.

Lord Kenneth Valise, Level 1 Knight, 28yrs old human
Power: 4 Health: 10/10 Gold: 10
Inventory: One potion, a Greatsword (WP: 3) and a Shield (SP: 2)

#4 Fugazi

Fugazi

• Welcome to Eurobricks. How can I help you?

Member: 8966

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:02 PM

I wasn't even aware of this set's existence. While it's average, it's also in one particular way much better that this year's promos: a free minifig is always welcome! :wink:
Playing as Sammy Sycamore in Walter Kovacs' Unrest in the Forest Mafia

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#5 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:40 PM

Thanks for the review. This promo is better than a lot of others, but it's not the best.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users